2005 Toyota Prius electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Prius:

2005 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Feb 102008

Prius 4-cyl

2005 Toyota Prius right hid headlamp flickers and sometimes turns off while driving. Dealer will not cover extensive repair cost. From internet information this seems to be a very common problem that could be very dangerous if both headlights quit simultaneously.

- Waterloo, IL, USA

Oct 012007

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Prius. While being serviced at the dealer, they noticed that the headlights were distorted. The plating on the internal part of the headlights were overheating. There is no way to release this heat and the contact is concerned that a possible fire may occur. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but they did not want to be responsible because it was no longer under warranty. The failure mileage was 40,000 and current mileage was 41,000. Updated 01-14-08. Updated 12/12/07.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Nov 092006

Prius 4-cyl

: the contact stated while driving 65 mph under normal road conditions, the vehicle stalled. There were no warnings prior to the failure. The vehicle was taken to the service dealer, who was not able to identify the problem. Updated 12/18/2006 -

- Brunswick, ME, USA

Feb 212006

Prius 4-cyl

: the contact stated the console showed whether the vehicle was running on engine power or electrical power. Since purchase the vehicle has not operated on electrical power at low speeds. The dealership determined there is nothing wrong with the vehicle.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Sep 152005

Prius

My 2005 Prius had engine failure while traveling at high speed on the highway. I pulled over and had to get the car towed, and the computer reset. I soon after learned of a recall, and now I am told that my car does not qualify for the recall. I think it is unsafe, and I want the computer problem remedied.

- Hadley, MA, USA

Jan 222006

Prius 4-cyl

While driving on the freeway at speeds up to 65 mph pulled off and went through a small town. After coming to a stop light started to press the gas pedal to accelerate and the red triangle with an exclamation mark lit up on the dashboard, and then the small car with exclamation mark came on the lcd screen. The car didn't stall nor loose power, but I pulled over to check and see what the owner's manual said. It stated to contact the dealer. Had the car towed. Tried to power off and on twice but the icons still remained, and on the lcd stated a problem existed. Also, it seemed T when I powering on/off the engine did not kick in as usual. However, I am not sure, if I left the car powered on long enough because it usually took 20-30 seconds before engine kicked in.

- Lompoc, CA, USA

Oct 132005

Prius

I have a 2005 Toyota Prius. I got my car 8-23-2005 and on 10-13-2005 I was hit on the passenger side while making a left hand turn. The intersections was just after a traffic circle, signs was missing, it was raining, dusk and the person who hit me did not have her lights on and was driving too fast for conditions. My car stopped, and could not be restarted. It was towed. I called my insurance company and was sent to a repair facility. After several days they got my car, but because it would not start, towed it to a Toyota shop. It sat there for 10 days, until I called, then it was sent back to the repair shop. It took 6 more weeks for the car to be repaired. One delay was in getting the seat-belt, which was supposed to come with the seat, but did not. It had to be shipped from Japan (I was told). After the repair was done, 9 weeks after the accident, the car would not start. It was towed to another Toyota dealership. Two weeks later, I am told that a wiring harness was the problem. This has to be shipped from Japan, and the expected date of arrival is 1-11-2006. Meanwhile, I have not had my car for nearly 3 months. My insurance paid for 30 days of a rental car (I waited a week to get the rental car), then I paid for another 4 weeks. I have notified Toyota 2 times about this situation. I have called the dealership, where I have a "special" customer convenience card. This card only seems to be good for purchases, and not for actual assistance. I think Prius owners need to know that their cars can only be repaired at a few locations, and most dealerships can not repair them properly. Additionally, I think the car has a significant blinds pot, as I am frequently surprised by other cars suddenly appearing.

- Timonium, MD, USA

Nov 032005

Prius 4-cyl

After Toyota's recalling 75,000 Prius in U.S., I took my 2005 Prius into torrance Toyota(310-325-75000) to have the software"glitch"repaired. Michael gallagher(service advisor) told me there is additional glitches and now my car is inoperable and he has been ask

- Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, USA

Oct 312005

Prius 4-cyl

Toyota Prius; driving on interstate 287 in New Jersey when the engine cut out and would not restart.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Jul 292005

Prius

2005 Toyota Prius stalling at 35-40 mph. The vehicle would not restart and was towed to a repair facility. The consumer was told that the problem was due to bad programming at the factory. The computer wa reset per tsb EG047-04.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Sep 122005

Prius

While stopped at a stop light, I got a red triangle with ! inside that came on. The vehicle engine stopped and the car was put automatically in park. I could not restart the car and had to have it towed. The accessories still worked, just no engine.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jun 152005

Prius 4-cyl

Vehicle stalled/died and lost power. This happened on 08.15/2005.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Aug 262005

Prius

1 )stall on 5/26/05 @1:30 pm at a speed of 35 mph + - without warning. After few mints I able to start & got the engine, & restarted & also re started ac & got gogoing. Same day @ 4:30 pm ac was shut off without warning and screen was completely blank @ speed of 62 mph + -, pulled of to shoulder turned off ing. 2) same thing on 8/31/05 11:30 am @ speed of 55 mph first ac went & with in less than a mile engine went completely, did not start in first few minutes, after waiting 10 or so minutes engine started & ac started. Drove to the dealer for check up, was given hard time by service rep, will not take in without appointment & refused to provide any assistance or a loner car. When I told him " you want me to get killed out in traffic" he replied " nothing I can do to help you I am doing my job what I am told" I asked want see manager he replied " he is on vacation no one is taking his place" I was very upset & angry with his reply & attitude in the end he added " go get a lawyer" I left the service department with appointment on 9/2/05 3:pm and then.......................! went to see sales person & she was very humble & help full, she set me up with loner- rental car at no charge & I left my car Prius 2005 with dealer ship for full check up. As of now car is @ dealership. Bhatia ps: Blue team service rep.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 242005

Prius 4-cyl

2004 Toyota Prius with 23915 miles on it. Driving to work West on I-90 during rush hour engine stopped dead. I-90 is 8 lanes of traffic in spokane, wa. Had to have car towed to dealer for repairs. Problem was a failure in the electronic control unit. ECU had to be re-programed. Cause found by dealer: Found code P3191 & poaof codes. Found tbs #EG047-04. According to the service advisor, Toyota issued a technical bulletin covering this problem but stated there were too few failures to warant a recall. Being on an interstate during rush hour with traffic doing 70+ mph and having an engine failure could create a life threating situation very quickly. The last thing I asked the service advisor is if this will happen again? his response, "it shouldn't." that's reassuring.

- Post Falls, ID, USA

Jul 162005

Prius 4-cyl

New vehicle had master fault, check engine and other warning lights at odo reading 50, "repaired" faulted again. Replacement parts include cam sensors, computer boards, wiring harness and now "master computer board".

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Aug 012005

Prius

Consumer's Toyota Prius lost power suddenly while driving on the interstate.

- Salem, OR, USA

Jan 032005

Prius 4-cyl

The vehicle intermittently stalled and decelerated while driving 35 mph due to computer failure. The vehicle stalled while on the highway. The service engine soon light had come on before and remained on after the vehicle failed.

- Chalfton, PA, USA

Jun 012005

Prius 4-cyl

The contact stated while driving 65 mph vehicle stalled and lost power.

- Needham, MA, USA

Jun 302005

Prius 4-cyl

The Prius shut down, stopped using gasoline power, while I was in the passing lane and traveling 70 miles per hour in moderate traffic on interstate 40 in nashville, tn. The red triangle, check engine, vsc and a few other warning signals illuminated. I managed to avoid being rear-ended, pulled to the side of the road using battery power, shut the battery power off, and consulted the owner's manual. Approximately 10-15 minutes prior, the add fuel light illuminated and the fuel indicator displayed a single bar. Having driven the vehicle for the past 8300 miles, my wife informed me that we had about 2 gallons of gas, and could easily travel another fifty miles. The temperature was near 90 degrees. I started the vehicle and chose to drive it off the interstate. We traveled 2.5 miles and coasted to the side of the road as the battery depleted. I managed to slowly drive the vehicle to a gas station and refueled. The fuel tank could only accommodate 8.1 gallons of fuel; it holds 11.7. once refueled, the warning signals disappeared after 30 seconds, and we drove home. My wife took the car to the dealer, joe heitz Toyota in clarksville, tn, the next day for an evaluation. The mechanic said that the computer indicated that the vehicle ran out of fuel. Since there obviously was fuel in the tank, I pressed the service manager for answers. By the end of the day and after consulting with Prius technical folks in California, the service manager said that the fuel bladder may have collapsed over the sending module thereby signaling the car's computer that it was out of gas, which caused it to shut down. He said Toyota is looking into the problem and provided a lame solution; refuel the vehicle before it gets too low. This is an unacceptable answer and I implore the NHTSA to investigate this potentially deadly anomaly. It is only a matter of time before someone is in a fatal accident because the vehicle shuts down while traveling at interstate speeds.

- Ashland City, TN, USA

Jun 232005

Prius 4-cyl

A. how long and at what speed was the consumer driving before the vehicle lost power" approximately 20 minutes: 35 mph. B. was the consumer accelerating, decelerating, or driving at a steady- state when the vehicle lost power? accelerating C. after the vehicle lost power, was the driver able to continue driving the vehicle? if so, how long and at what speed? no D.did any warning lights appear before and/or after the incident occurred? yes if so, describe the lights that were lit. Engine indicator and exclamation mark E. did the vehicle eventually stall and come to a stop? how long did this occur after the warning lights were lit? no; immediatley F. was the driver able to restart the vehicle right after it stalled" if so, how long did it take (# of attempts and/ or time żż ex: 3-4 times or 2-3 minutes)" no G. was the driver able to restart the vehicle after letting it sit awhile? if so, how long was this after the vehicle stalled? no H. was the vehicle towed? no I. what did the dealer say was wrong with the vehicle" the wiring would pulled from the vehicle J. did the dealer reprogram the ECU (electronic control unit) or any software" donżżT know K. has the vehicle had special service campaigns 40A or 40 D performed on it prior to the incident" (note: The consumer would have received a letter in the mail notifying them to bring his or her vehicle in for repair. Campaign 40A or 40D addressed software issues with the Prius hybrid vehicle electronic control unit.) no L. has the vehicle had any problems since the repair?contact states he has experienced power failure in his 2005 Toyota Prius. The vehicle has not been repaired yet.

- Green Village, NJ, USA