2005 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Prius:

2005 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 13 of 15)

Jun 142009

Prius

Toyota Prius hid headlights blink off and on. Sometimes stay off until switched off, and back on. Repair cost including labor, bulb and new hid driver "chip" excessive at $1,200 per side. Driving with unreliable headlights is dangerous.

- Swansea, IL, USA

Apr 022009

Prius

Like so many other complaints I've read today, I am experiencing problems with one of the headlights turning off intermittently, without reason (it happens when just sitting idle). When the light goes off, I flip the headlight switch off and on, and it comes back on. It will then remain on for a while (could be 30 minutes, or it could be 2 minutes). I was told that this is unlikely to be the hid bulb or ballast. I have read many complaints on different forums. This is a serious safety concern, and Toyota should find the cause, and recall for repairs.

- Carnegie, PA, USA

Nov 012005

Prius

05prius: After reading the list of complaints I feel compelled to inform everyone of the problems I have had. Otherwise I love my Prius. Headlight leveling system fix-warranty, warning on dash, steering problem-recall, gas tank replaced-due to overfill broke bladder-warranty, cd-stereo replaced due to intermittent unresponsiveness-warranty, on my 3rd set of tires-originals lasted 21K, have 60K on odometer. Fyi for all 05 owners. I bought new and take it to dealer for all repairs, except oil changes.

- Carbondale, PA, USA

Sep 202009

Prius

On my 2005 Toyota Prius, the passenger side headlight started turning pink when I turned on the lights. Now it doesn't turn pink anymore but is quite dim -- about 30 percent of the brightness of the other headlight. My Toyota dealership said to bring it in for repair but it would cost at least $400-$500.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Sep 222009

Prius

Both hid headlights will turn off without notice while driving. Turning lights off and back on will generally get these to go back on but that is dangerous. Also, hid leveling system fails intermittently causing headlights to change position drastically.

- Upper Arlington, OH, USA

Sep 132009

Prius

Front passenger headlight goes on and off. It is a 2005 Prius. Getting more so that it is off more than on.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Sep 102008

Prius

-the contact owns a 2005 Toyota pruis. The contact stated that the tail and headlights intermittently fail. A reduction of visibility due to head-lamp failure increases the risk of vehicle crash. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the technicians were unable to identify the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The failure and current mileages were 189,000.

- Eure, NC, USA

Sep 082009

Prius

While driving our vehicle (2005 Toyota Prius) the driver's side headlight just goes off without notice. Unable to repair due to it costing approx $800 to replace bulb. Tonight the passenger side headlight also went out. It will go back on if we turn off the headlights then turn them back on. We live outside of city limits. Imagine driving in the dark and your headlights go out.

- Carencro, LA, USA

Aug 032009

Prius

We have a 2005 Prius. The passenger side headlight started to flicker about a month ago. Finally failed completely. Estimate for replacing both bulbs $105 labor $376 for each bulb. Total of $850. This is crazy and unsafe. I am forced to drive around with one headlight out, waiting for the other to fail, because I don't have $850. The car only has 53,000 miles on it. This is just wrong. Toyota needs to do something to fix this problem.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 152009

Prius

Passenger side headlight and parking light stopped working. Had a new headlight bulb put in about 8 weeks before the lights stopped working.

- Des Moines, WA, USA

Aug 242009

Prius

Hid front left bulb -- failure to light consistently.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Aug 042009

Prius

The hid headlamps in my 2005 Prius are pointing downward. I've read online of other complaints and an investigation and wanted to add my instance of the issue as well.

- Franklin Square, NY, USA

Mar 192009

Prius

Events leading to failure: Ordinary driving. The failure: Right headlight stops working. Frequency: Hard to tell since I can't see the headlights while driving. Can only get indirect evidence such as light reflecting from the car in front of me-if it is close. When I first noticed this, about a year ago, it was infrequent. The frequency has increased as far as I can tell to the point that I believe it is daily now, although still not constant. No consequences so far, but potential for wrecks at night is obvious, and driving without headlights is a crime, I think-certainly unwise. Over the last year I have taken the car into the dealer twice when I thought the headlight was malfunctioning, but when I got to the dealer, it was on. Today when I took it in, it was malfunctioning. At the dealership over the last year, I have been quoted repair prices by the dealer, from $600 to $1700 (for both lights), the latter being recommended. The request for incident date below is inappropriate since there have been hundreds of incident dates. I am completing it since the form will not allow me to continue if I don't select a single date. The selection of one date below is not a waiver of the many other dates.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

May 102009

Prius

About 3 months ago my headlights on my 2005 Prius started to go out then come back on. At first I assumed it was a headlight that needed to be replaced but when I was going to buy the headlights I was told if it was a dead headlight...it would never come back on. My warranty was about to expire. I took it into the dealer in Wisconsin and they said they had fixed it. However I could see up against the wall that it was not. I told them I would not leave till they fixed it. They gave me back the car and the headlights worked for a few days then started the on off thing again. Problem is you are not sure when it happens...if the road is lit at all it's harder to tell. But I when I had to make a trip out East there were roads with no light so all that was seen was the parking lights. I thought I was going blind. I have heard from others that this has happened to many and I will be joining a class action law-suit. This is life threatening and Toyota knows very well about it and all the dealers are just pretending not to. There must be a recall right away!!!! to add insult to injury, now the air conditioning heating is all messed up and my windows fog up and I can't get them to clear. It's a mess!

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Jul 202009

Prius

Failure of hid front left lightbulb in 2005 Toyota Prius; $420+ quote to replace it at dealer.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Jul 182009

Prius

Just purchased certified used Toyota Prius, 2005 - driving at night last week and drivers head light went out. Next day they both worked but after a few miles noticed in back of another car it went out again, now it's got my attention and I notice it all the time randomly. Googled it and found its like that on 2005-2008 Prius' with hid lights and that I should file a claim. Called Toyota today they are going to have someone call me back tomorrow.

- Wauna, WA, USA

Jan 152009

Prius

1. Toyota Prius hid light faulty. - the lights go off and when turned off and on come back up. 2. called the dealer and the dealer quoted - $350 per bulb and $300 in labor charges = $1000 to replace 2 head lamps. 3. logged a complaint with Toyota. Toyota said there was nothing wrong with the parts and offered a 50% reimbursement which still ends up to $500 out of pocket expenses just to replace 2 head lamps.

- Washougal, WA, USA

Jun 142009

Prius

Both the right and left headlights will intermittently go off. The lights will come back on if they are turned off and then back on. Both headlights have not went off at the same time but at different times from each other.

- Bentonville, AR, USA

Jan 242009

Prius

Right headlight goes out intermittently. Can turn light switch off/on and it will relight for a while. Began having problem at about 95,000 miles. Dealer said it's a bulb for $350. I declined to have it replaced. Now the left headlight also goes out, . turning switch off/on will relight for a time. Might have to turn off/on 4 or 5 times in a 6 mile trip. The dealer suggested that a filament might be broken and making intermittent connection. These are high intensity discharge lamps - I don't think they have filaments. I am currently searching on line for replacement parts to fix this myself.

- Evansville, IN, USA

May 012009

Prius

The headlight on my 2005 Prius goes out. If I turn off the head light completely and wait a while and then turn it back on, it comes back. It repeats this issue constantly.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA