2005 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Prius:

2005 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 15 of 15)

Feb 012008

Prius

Driver's side headlight began going out intermittently, first rarely, then gradually more frequently. Switching them off and on would restore it temporarily. The first time I took it to the dealer they couldn't reproduce the problem. By the time it became very bad, they diagnosed that the headlamp was overheating, and replaced it ($360). Now, less than two months later it has started going out again, at infrequent intervals. This is clearly a safety issue and needs to be investigated.

- Richmond, VA, USA

May 202008

Prius

We noticed shortly after we bought our 2005 Toyota Prius that the headlights did not shine far enough in advance of the car to properly illuminate the road. When we complained to the dealer, they checked it and said that the lights were set properly so as not to shine in the face of approaching car. Now the automatic sensor warning light warning of a problem illuminates and indicates headlight problems any time we have anyone in the back seat of the car. Despite having high intensity headlights offered in this package (package 4), we still do not feel safe driving this car at night because the headlights illuminate only about 15-20 feet in front of the car, even at 'high beams.' I don't want to blind someone, but I do want to see the road more than 20 feet in front of me. I am indicating the problem began in may, 2008 because that's when the sensor warning light started to come on, but this has been a problem with this car pretty much ever since we bought it. The dealer says there is a bulletin out about it, but wants to charge us about $500 to fix it since it is 8,000 miles past warranty. Had I known that others have identified this as a problem (www.priuschat.com), I would have been more insistent before the warranty ran out. This car really is unsafe to drive at night, especially here in rural Maine where we have many large animals on the highways at night (including moose).

- Southwest Harbor, ME, USA

Aug 122008

Prius

Headlights began illuminating very short distance. Repair center found failed sensor. My concern is that system failed into unsafe condition when the onboard systems are perfectly capable of remembering the last safe condition.

- Dayton, MN, USA

Jul 132008

Prius

Toyota's hid headlights seem to only work intermittently. Toyota would like us to replace the bulbs. Labor and the bulb run about $500. This seems to be a problem with many of Toyota's vehicles and seems like consumer gouging on a faulty product/design to the nth degree!

- Troy, MI, USA

May 152008

Prius

I have a 2005 Toyota Prius. One of my hid headlights burned out after only 35,000 miles, just 3 months after my warranty expired. Toyota claims on their website that hid headlights last longer than halogen bulbs, but by E-mail said that they had not determined life expectancy of parts in my vehicle. Looking at the many Prius chat rooms on the web, this is not an unusual problem. As the replacement part alone (a single bulb) runs $350, there is a substantial problem with having to replace the bulb so soon after the warranty expires.

- Lewisburg, PA, USA

May 082008

Prius 4-cyl

2005 Toyota Prius hid driver's headlight continues to intermittently fail to illuminate. Dealer wants >$600 to replace headlight. Problem well documented as recurrent issue for Prius with hid headlamps. This should be addressed by Toyota asap. It is very dangerous to lose headlights while driving. It is also outrageous to expect consumers to pay $600 to replace a light bulb and not even be able to guarantee that will solve the problem.

- Fair Oaks, CA, USA

Jan 172008

Prius 6-cyl

Toyota sienna...at approx 36K miles my headlights would intermittently go off. Bulbs were replaced and the problem persisted. The ECU unit to the headlight was replaced and worked fine for a year. Now at 59K the headlights are doing the same. I am told again to replace the bulbs(300$) each. The bulbs come on but just go out on there own without hitting a bump. It varies which light I will have and I have lost both while traveling. I think this is very dangerous. The dealership is replacing bulbs this wee....hope it works.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Oct 012007

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Prius. While being serviced at the dealer, they noticed that the headlights were distorted. The plating on the internal part of the headlights were overheating. There is no way to release this heat and the contact is concerned that a possible fire may occur. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but they did not want to be responsible because it was no longer under warranty. The failure mileage was 40,000 and current mileage was 41,000. Updated 01-14-08. Updated 12/12/07.

- Tucson, AZ, USA