2005 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Prius:

2005 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 2 of 15)

Sep 302015

Head light will intermittently go off. I can turn the light switch to off and then back on and the headlight will come back on. Usually this happened on a street or highway when the car is in motion and lights are switch on. This happens off and on when the car is being driven. Usually it is the left headlight, but occasionally the right headlight goes off as well. This has been happening for several months. The Toyota dealer quotes $500 to make repairs! I did research on internet and found that this problem is pretty common for certain years of the Toyota Prius automobiles, 2005 included.

- Fairfax, Va, VA, USA

Sep 262014

Since September of 2014 I have had issues with the dashboard lights. They have become dimmer and dimmer. Then during the week of 8/24/15, I started my car and the dashboard lights came on, but when I turned on the headlights, all dashboard lights went black. I had turn signal lights, but nothing else unless I turned off the headlights. This was extremely dangerous as I was driving home after dark. I had no idea how fast I was going, what gear I was in, if I had enough gas to get home, etc., etc. The next morning I took a 20-mile drive and when I stopped, I could not get the car to shut off by pushing the ignition button. I tried multiple times and the engine finally turned off, but the display panel was still dimly lit. I then drove directly to the dealership to have whatever was wrong repaired. After a mechanic checked it out, it was determined the computer needed to be replaced and they had to order the part. This is not an item that is normally serviced and I have no clue if the dealership checks it during a servicing of the car. So I wondered if there was a recall on it. In checking on this website I find I am not the only person who has had this problem and that I thought there would be a recall on it. When I picked up my car I asked about the recall and I was given paperwork stating it was a "warranty enhancement program" for "9 years with no mileage limitation from the date of first use or before September 30, 2013". letters were sent out to Prius owners of cars from 2004 to certain 2009 models. I never received a letter and am very concerned if Toyota knew there was a problem why didn't they not do just a "warranty enhancement program" but a recall? they would that eventually all cars would have this problem and it should be replaced. This is an extreme safety issue!

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Apr 282010

I have been experiencing some problems with my headlights. I changed the bulb and a month later the light stopped working again. I took it to the dealership they blamed it on the bulb, I tried to return the bulb to the store and they tested it and said everything was ok with the bulb so it had to be the headlights. I'm also having problems with the dashboard lights. The speedometer and gas gage completely failed. At the same time I was told my ABS brake system needs to be replaced! this is too much happening at the same time and I have to pay for all of it out of pocket.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Aug 172015

Headlight on the driver side keeps turning off every couple of minutes. The only way to turn it back on is to flip the headlight switch. It looks like this is a defect in many Toyota Prius 2005 models. I would like the dealer to fix the issue even if tye car is beyond the manufacturer warranty as this is clearly a manufacturing defect.

- Claremont, CA, USA

Jan 162015

Traveling along at night and headlight suddenly stopped shining. Drove about 100 miles using other people's headlights. Winter conditions.

- Pigeon, WV, USA

Apr 122015

Prius 4-cyl

The headlights on my 2005 Toyota Prius go out on a much to frequent basis. I have replaced both headlights multiple times. This last time, I took the car to the dealership (northshore Toyota) to ask if they could check the headlights. I thought it could be a bad connection. They checked the headlights and said they both needed replacing, although one was working when I brought the car in for service. They did not mention anything about an issue with the headlights, and gladly took our money for replacing the lights. Upon further research, I learned that this is a problem with headlights on Toyota Prius. I feel this is a safety issue and should be addressed by the manufacturer.

- Covington, LA, USA

Dec 012014

When I drive my right headlight just goes out. Then I turn off my lights then turn then on and it chimes back on.

- Commerce City, CO, USA

Feb 192015

Prius 4-cyl

Noticed passenger headlight appeared to be out intermittently. Would turn back on after restarting lights. Consistently winks out and will restart after turning lights off and on again. Also noticed now that the drivers headlight will also go out and both lights are off at certain times, night or day.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Mar 252015

Prius 4-cyl

The passenger side headlight randomly turns off while the switch is still in the on position. It is temporarily fixed when I flip the switch for the lights off and on again. The last three times I have driven in the night it has unexpectedly turned off.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 102013

Prius 4-cyl

Originally the passenger headlight would shut off randomly. I would flick the lights on and off and it would turn back on. Then this past new years eve both headlights turned off and I flicked the lights on and off and that did not work. I shut off the headlights with the switch for a few seconds and luckily they turned on again. However the kept on shutting off more consistently. First the passenger then both. This is ridiculous. And the car was not safe to drive. I replaced both headlight bulbs at my own expense. The bulbs worked great for 2 days. Now both headlights will not stay on for more than 45 seconds. My 16 yr old son also drives this car and this is unacceptable. If something were to happen to him because of this known defect that Toyota is not willing to fix. This is terrible! fix this problem! new bulbs is not the fix. There is something else seriously wrong here.

- Windsor , CT, USA

Feb 062015

Prius 4-cyl

Left headlight will intermittently go off. There have been a couple of instances where both lights have gone off on the highway at night.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 112014

Prius 4-cyl

Front left headlight turning off and on intermittantly.

- Arlington , VA, USA

May 162011

Prius 4-cyl

I am the original owner of my Prius and it has worked wonderfully except for having to replace the headlights. About 4 years ago I had an accident and the front bumper and driver side headlight was replaced. It is now flickering and turns off. The passenger side headlight was also replaced 4-5 years ago and it died about 6 months ago. This is a serious problem since the head light flickers and dies while driving. I almost drove off the road on a side street because I could not see.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Dec 012013

Prius 4-cyl

Intermittent failure of headlight (left and right, though not simultaneously). Problem can be temporarily corrected by turning headlights off, then on. This issue occurs while driving (twice within a one hour drive) and when the car has just been started. Fuses have been checked and headlight bulbs have been replaced with no resolution.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Nov 032014

2005 Prius hid headlights go out while driving and continue to go out intermittently as they will relight if cycled on and off. Replaced bulb and issue continues.

- Renton, WA, USA

Jul 142013

Prius 4-cyl

The first time happened about a year ago and the issue gets worse. I took the car into the shop to replace a headlight as I thought it had burnt out. When I arrived, the passenger side light was working again. The issue has been so bad now that both headlights may turn off with no warning and cause complete darkness while on the road. From what the shop told me is that I will have to possibly replace the hid headlamp cpu in order to ensure no further issues. This is a severe safety issue that seems to plague the make and model of Toyota.

- Fairfiled , CA, USA

Oct 232013

Prius 4-cyl

My front passengers-side headlight keeps going out every 5-10 minutes but will turn back on if I turn the headlights lights off and back on again. This has caused me to get pulled over & nobody seems to know how to fix it...

- Chittenango, NY, USA

Oct 152014

Prius 4-cyl

My left head light goes out intermittently. The light goes back on when I turn the lights off and then on again. This seems to be a problem that Prius owners are regularly experiencing.

- Findlay, OH, USA

Sep 012014

Prius 4-cyl

While driving a headlamp will extinguish and I can turn on/off quickly and will come back on. Sometimes this happens every couple miles and can alternate between headlamps and sometimes both fail at the same time. Also if trying to drive on one, the other can fail also requiring a turn on/off reset.

- Waleska, GA, USA

Nov 072014

Prius 4-cyl

The right side headlight goes out multiple times for no apparent reason. I have to turn the lights off- then back on--it will come back on--only till it goes out again.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA