2005 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Prius:

2005 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 6 of 15)

Jan 022012

Prius 4-cyl

The driver side headlight intermittently goes on and off without warning. This began over a year ago, but we cannot name the specific time. We initially thought it was just a light bulb, however, we learned that it can be reactivated by briefly turning the headlight switch off and on. This is a safety hazard if driving at night. It can happen several times during one trip or not at all. We have taken it to a few Toyota dealers and they have indicated that it could cost 400-800+ to repair the problem, which we believe to be excessive so for now we are tolerating the problem.

- Jamison, PA, USA

Feb 112013

Prius 4-cyl

While driving, both headlights would go off. They would come back on when turning the light control off then back on. A few minutes later, they would go off again and to get them back on I had to switch off/ then back on. It did not seem to be dependent on fast I was driving or if a bump in the road caused the headlights to go off. We took car to dealer and was told everything checked out and both headlight bulbs needed to be replace @ $175 each for parts plus labor to drop font bumper so headlights could be installed. Total bill came to $485 to replace two headlights that worked intermittently.

- Dickinson, TX, USA

Dec 032010

Prius 4-cyl

The brake light went out on the driver side. Luckily I was pulled over by a police officer who was courteous to let me know the rear driver-side brake light was out. I believe this a hazard that Toyota has failed to correct because the led brake light bulbs are not repairable/replaceable, an since the led had failed and the driver-side taillight assembly is now useless and non-functional. I went to the Toyota dealer and they quoted my 800 dollars to replace the taillight including labor. I don't like how the led brake light is intended for over 100,000 hours of life but hadn't lasted more than four and a half years of use. And the worst part of the situation is that the led bulbs are not replaceable/repairable and thus a greater difficulty to repair and bring back to safe operating condition.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Feb 012010

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving on this particular day and both headlights just shut off. I was driving on the highway going about 70 miles an hour. I slowed down as much as I could. Only one car was behind me and by chance he had seen my lights go off and started to flicker his lights as he passed me. Luckily their wasn't any cars on site because it was about 2 am in the morning and their wasn't any traffic. I was able to pull over under a highway street lamp on the shoulder. I turned off the light and back on repeatedly until about the 7th or 9th try they came back on. Since then I have intermittent light turning off on either headlight at random time. The dimming can go for weeks without shutting off and can also go on for a full week with the headlights daily. I know this is hazard because the time where both headlights went out it could have ended in a different way other then pulling over safely on the shoulder. Also the intermittent light turning off of the lights is also a hazard because it decreases visibility both for me to see the road and other drivers to see me.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jan 032013

Prius 4-cyl

Front right headlight is intermittently going out. I can get it to go back on if I turn switch off and back on but it may fail again within 10 or 80 minutes. Replaced bulb, but still have problem. Dealer said it was the bulb but replacing it has not fixed the issue.

- Mill Valleuy, CA, USA

Jan 262013

Prius 4-cyl

The headlights started going on and off intermittently. Both bulbs were replaced recently. The car has an hid headlight system.

- Mishawaka, IN, USA

Oct 122011

Prius

Since about the fall of last year or so, we've been noticing that the headlights have been going off intermittently. The right went out and then came back on. Then another time the left went out and came back on. I've read about this occurring on many other Prius' and that there was a class action suit? anyway, I need to figure out how to get this fixed as it is a serious safety issue.

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Nov 012011

Prius

The headlamps repeatedly burn out, which repair people have said indicates an underlying electrical problem. I now have to replace one of the headlamps for the fourth time in just over a year.

- Takoma Park, MD, USA

Dec 142011

Prius 4-cyl

I thought my headlights needed to be adjusted, so I took the car to have it done. The shop told me that the problem couldn't be fixed because it was the auto leveling sensor in the rear of the car. After a few more weeks of driving like that, a warning light came on the dash board and the display in the console. I ordered the part and had it replaced. It some what resolved the problem, but the lights still need adjusting. They are still not pointing high enough to light the road appropriately. The shop says that there is no way to adjust the lights further than what the sensor does.

- Dameron, MD, USA

Nov 292012

Prius 4-cyl

My passengers side head light went out. It came back on when I turned the switch off and back on again. It has happened three more times since, two of which were this morning alone (12/28/2012).

- Dameron, MD, USA

Dec 262012

Prius 4-cyl

Headlights turn off unexpectedly. Turning switch off and then back on temporarily resets and they work for 5 to 10 minutes then go off again.

- Berryville, VA, USA

Dec 012011

Prius

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the headlights intermittently failed. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where the failure could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Lahabara, CA, USA

Sep 272012

Prius

Headlights (one or both) will randomly turn off while driving. Turning the switch off and back on will turn them back on.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Nov 302012

Prius 4-cyl

While driving at 6:35 pm in paso robles on hwy 46 both headlights went dark. I rotated the light switch several times, then both headlights lit. Within 5 minutes, it happened again. 2 minutes later, it happened again. Thereafter it happened about every 2 minutes until we got to the hospital emergency room to which I was taking my wife. She died there about 10pm of a heart attack. At about 2 a.M. on my return home with my daughter, the same thing happened within 5 minutes. When it happened next in about 2 minutes, I flipped the light switch and one headlight lit. Despite flipping the switch several times, only one light (the left one) lit. Have not used the car at night since then.

- Paso Robles, CA, USA

Sep 052012

Prius

Front right light flickers off/on occasionally. Toyota says I need to replace both bulbs at approximately $540 in total cost.

- Boudler, CO, USA

Oct 042011

Prius 4-cyl

I believe there is a serious and undisclosed flaw in the Toyota Prius hid headlamp system. I have noticed the headlamps will extinguish individually and unexpected in an intermittent manner, causing a significant safety hazard to driver as well as other vehicles. I have contacted Toyota about this, and although they have extended the warranty with this obviously flawed design, they refuse to take responsibility for the design and repair the systems. I have owned several other vehicles with hid headlamps, never have they become intermittent, which is indicative of a design flaw or a serious materials problem with the igniter system for the hid headlamps. I believe that Toyota should be held responsible and recall the hid headlamp systems and take the necessary corrective action.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 122012

Prius 4-cyl

Left side headlight quits working then you have to turn off headlights and turn back on then it comes back on. After a while it goes out again then same procedure has to be repeated again. I believe this is a safety issue and needs to be recalled. What if the light on the right side decides to go out especially in the dark where there is no street lights? I ask you nicely please recall the car and fix the issue what may be causing it.

- Akron, PA, USA

Mar 142011

Prius

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the headlights failed without warning. The contact had to play around with the headlight switch in order for the lights to illuminate. The failure had occurred previously but was only exhibited on one side of the headlights at a time. The recent failure was exhibited on both headlights. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where he was advised that the control could possible be the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown, but the current mileage was 160,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 232012

Prius 4-cyl

My husband was driving our recently purchased Prius and was pulled over by a police officer. One of his headlights was not working. Following that event, the other light has gone out as well. Both headlights go on off when in use. This is disturbing to us because it's a safety issue when driving at night. After doing research, we discovered that this can be an issue in 05-08 Toyota Prius.

- Orange City, IA, USA

Oct 012010

Prius

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the headlights failed and would not illuminate. The contact became aware of the headlight failure when she was pulled over by a police officer. The headlight switch had to be moved to on and off position several times for the headlights to illuminate. One headlight was replaced, however the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000 and the current mileage was 103,754.

- Elizabeth Town , KY, USA