2005 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Prius:

2005 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 7 of 15)

Oct 072008

Prius

We have repeatedly had our headlights go out. We have been replacing bulbs thinking it was the problem. We found if we shut off the car and started again or turn on/off the lights, the headlamp would work again. It has happened to both headlights but not at the same time. We've been told by Toyota that the lights need replacing but there is no way these lights need to be replaced that often. It has happened sporadically throughout the last six years. I was pulled over by the police two nights ago for having a headlamp out. The next time I started the car it worked perfectly.

- Vicksburg, MI, USA

Dec 142011

Prius 4-cyl

The left headlight went out and the operator turned the lightswitch off then back on and the left headlight restarted. This happened intermittently at no particular time interval up until September 29, 2012 when both headlights began to go out and the operator now has safety concerns.

- Manheim, PA, USA

Sep 132012

Prius 4-cyl

First my left headlight went out. Within a minute my right headlight went out as well. I turned the light switch off, then on again, and they both re-lit. This happened four times in the course of 20 miles. The is a regular occurrence now.

- Dundee, NY, USA

Jun 142012

Prius 4-cyl

Since June.. I have had one or both headlights go off. I have to flick them on and off to get them to go back on. I have run off the road. I have been pulled over by police only to then find my headlight was on. Sometimes when they both go off it will takes many on off of the switch to get them to finally go back on, and I usually have to make my way of the road. This is a terribly dangerous situation. I have had many vehicles and not ever seen anything like this!! I truly believe there needs to be a recall. I looked on line and now know it is not just me, but many Prius are having the very same issue. There is a guy I saw interviewed that said he does not believe that they both go off simultaneously. I can assure you that they do, and it happens quite frequently. I have become very scared to drive at night. I do not do it unless I just have to..

- Silverado, CA, USA

Jun 092012

Prius 4-cyl

While driving a canyon road at night, vehicle headlights suddenly went off. Near collision occurred when another car turning in front of affected vehicle because it was not visible in the dark. Later discovered turning the headlights off and then on again caused the headlamps to relight. Since then, one or both head lamps intermittently and suddenly turn off. Reset relights. On June 22, 2012, vehicle was taken to northridge Toyota for repair. Northridge Toyota charged over $500 to replace headlamps. Some time after repair, the issue returned with same symptoms.

- West Hills, CA, USA

Jun 172010

Prius

The right headlight goes out a minutes after driving the car. Both headlights come on initially, but after driving down the road for a few minutes, the right headlight stops working. This seems to be a problem with the hid module malfunctioning.

- Spring Hill, TN, USA

Jul 312012

Prius 4-cyl

Right hid intermiitently goes on and off. Unable to see the right side of the road at night.

- Wayne, PA, USA

Jul 152012

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving in interstate I-270 in commerce city co. When suddenly the headlights went out and would not come back on until I was completely stopped, so I turn them off then on and they come back on, ?? it has kept on happening ever since, they are the hid's and it is my understanding am not the only one having this problem.

- Commerce City, CO, USA

Feb 012012

Prius

Headlamps stay on for 5 minutes then one goes out completely and the other goes dim. Can't see unless I turn them off and then back on again... then I get some light for another 5 minutes. I replaced the lamps which were very expensive, however, the lamps are not the problem.

- Pollock Pines, CA, USA

Mar 272012

Prius 4-cyl

The hid headlights fail and turn-off without warning. This leads to dangerous driving conditions especially at night. This is related to a hid headlight leveling sensor failure. Toyota reports this issue in their "technical service bulletin" number EL004-06, dated 28th April 2006. Toyota recognizes the problem in the oem part and is providing replacement only on failed parts under 36months, 36,000 miles warranty. However, my vehicle experienced this "safety issue" past the warranty period and hence is not replaced by Toyota. Nevertheless, Toyota has generated a customer program to replace this defective module in 2006-2009 models even if not under the warranty. My 2005 model experiences the exact same problem but Toyota will not cover this safety issue. Furthermore, the 2006-2009 models are covered under the "class action lawsuit" for the exact same problem as my 2005; however my 2005 model is not covered. Please do the needful to include 2005 model Prius (with hid headlights) in the safety issues addressed in 2006-2009 models. Thank you.

- Northborough, MA, USA

Jul 112009

Prius 4-cyl

In 2009 was the first time the warning light was displayed regarding the headlight leveler sensor. Contacted Toyota and because it was out of warranty, they would not repair unless we paid in full for repairs. Advised the sensor alone was approx. $400, plus whatever labor is involved. Have lived with the intermittent warning light coming on and going off ever since. In December of 2011, began having problems with the passanger side headlight going off for no reason. Replaced the bulb and it still goes off intermittently while driving. If the headlamp switch is turned off and back on from inside the car, the headlight comes back on. I see that there was a recall for similar issues recently; however, it only covered Toyota Prius vehicles year 2006 and newer. I've gone on several Prius chat sites, and apparently other 2005 Prius owners have the same issues. I would like to know why other year Prius were not included in the recent recall.

- Stoystown, PA, USA

Jan 172012

Prius 4-cyl

Both headlights intermittently go off, they lit for a minute and then go off. I have been reading in forums this is a common problems Toyota Prius owners experience. They should make a recall, sometimes when I go to work at night I am out of lights and this is extremely dangerous since I use express ways a lot.

- Summit , IL, USA

Oct 142011

Prius 4-cyl

Hid left side would go out then back on. Will work good for several weeks then intermittently will happen again. Presently its is working, last week Friday was the last incident.

- Pickerington, OH, USA

May 032011

Prius

For quite some time it looked like my headlights could barely shine into the distance because they pointed down so much. Months later, I received a warning sign saying that the "headlight auto level" mechanism was broken. After researching this issue online and speaking to several mechanics, it became clear that the problem was caused by the part used by Toyota. The part Toyota uses in its older cars was not sealed, meaning salt can get in and corrode the wiring. This is such a clear oversight that I asked Toyota to fix it and/or issue a recall, but all they offered to do was note the problem even though they had heard of similar complaints.

- Midland, MI, USA

Feb 152012

Prius 4-cyl

The hid headlight are unexpectedly shutting off. This is a clearly a safety issue. It does appear that the hid headlight equipped Prius indeed contains a design defect. Toyota dealer is charging me $750 for the repair. The Prius was bought in the usa and moved with us when we moved to Canada in 2010.

- Barrie, Ontario, Canada, FL, USA

May 012011

Prius 4-cyl

The right, passenger headlight goes out and by turning the headlight switch off and back on, the headlight comes back on. It will go off again and I will have to perform the same procedure to get it to come on again. This happens repeatedly during any given trip.

- Shaker Heights, OH, USA

Sep 212011

Prius

Passenger headlight keeps going off...when it goes off, I can turn the headlight switch off and then on again and the headlight comes bask on. As of 11.29.11 after many incidents, the headlight is now dimming more and more.

- Erie, PA, USA

Nov 192011

Prius 4-cyl

Prior to this major problem, my driver's side headlight would go out intermittently and the come back on. On 11/19/2011, both headlights went off after being on for about 10 minutes. When I tried to put the high beams on all front end lights went out. I made it safely to my destination. The next day I check the headlights and they both worked fine. I checked the fuses and all were fine. I usually drive with my headlights always on, but decided to leave them off all day in hopes that the problem wouldn't repeat on my 6 hour drive home. Four hours into my drive home, it was getting dark so I turned my headlights on and they worked, but within an hour they both went off. I turned them off and then back on and they came on again. Over the next hour the both headlights went out multiple times and I was able to get them back on by turning them off and then back on. For the last hour of my drive the headlights stayed on and worked fine. I've heard of other Prius owners having similar problems and I believe that since non-working headlights are a major safety issue that Toyota should recall the Prius and fix this issue.

- Cary, NC, USA

Nov 102011

Prius 4-cyl

Headlights goes off all the time while driving. I have been experiencing the problem with headlights for almost three years.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Jun 022011

Prius

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the head lamp leveling system was corroded, causing the headlight to move up and down abnormally. The dealer was notified and advised the contact that there were no recalls for the vehicle. The dealer replaced the head lamps at the owners expense. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 18,206 and the current mileage was 19,421.

- Royal Oak, ME, USA