2005 Toyota Prius seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Prius:

2005 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 302008

Involved in an accident, hit broadsided on driver's side and rammed into guard rail on front of vehicle, the front windshield was broken and part of the door had to be removed to get me out.. the car was a 2005 Prius with side, curtain, and front airbags, none of which deployed. The car was totaled. I suffered neck, back and shoulder trama and have not be able to work for a month and half.

- Newport, OR, USA

Jul 052008

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Prius. While driving approximately 45 mph, the front passenger side of the contact's vehicle crashed with another vehicle. The impact caused the vehicle to turn over onto the driver's side and skid across the shoulder into the grass. The vehicle went airborne down an embankment and continued to roll. The velocity was decreased by a barb wire fence catching onto the tire of the vehicle, which caused the vehicle to land on its tires. The passenger side B-beam was severely damaged. None of the eight air bags deployed. The vehicle was completely destroyed and a police report was filed. The driver sustained minor injuries. The manufacturer has not inspected the vehicle. The failure and current mileages were 55,000.

- Crossville, TN, USA

Mar 012008

Prius 4-cyl

On 3/1/08 I was involved in an auto accident whereby I broadsided a public bus at an approximate angle of 45 degrees. The whole front of the car from the center to the driver's side was completely smashed and neither the driver's side airbag or passenger's side air bag deployed. As a result I, the driver, incurred whip lash injuries and the front passenger hit the front windshield and cracked it as the seatbelt on that side did not work either. Toyota was contacted and their claim is that the front seat belt functioned properly but they could not explain how the front passenger was not restrained from hitting the front windshield. As to the airbags, they claim that, despite knowing the car was doing between 40-45 mph upon impact, that due to the angle of the collision the airbags would not deploy. Could you please tell me if this is true. Does the law allow for restraint systems not to deploy in such accidents or are they just stone walling us? any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. John E. reardon

- Berlin, NJ, USA

Mar 222008

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Prius. The contact stated while his daughter was driving 45-55 mph, she swerved across the road then crashed into a tree. As a result, the vehicle flipped and landed on the passenger side. In addition, she crashed into two other trees. The airbags did not deploy. The crash destroyed the vehicle. The driver was taken to the hospital and suffered numerous injuries. The current and failure mileages were 56,000. Updated 04/21/08

- Rhinebeck, NY, USA

Apr 082006

Prius 4-cyl

I was a passenger in the front seat of a Toyota Prius that was headed East bound into an intersection in joliet Illinois when another vehicle made a left turn in front of the car that I was in. The resulting front end collision failed to trigger the air bags and the seat belts did not hold me in place. As a result I have a permanent injury to my right shoulder that leaves me with limited mobility in my right arm. Two other people were also injured in the resulting crash.

- River Grove, IL, USA

Apr 082006

Prius 4-cyl

Another driver failed to yield to me at an intersection. I struck the other car and the air bags did not go off nor did the seat belts lock into place to hold the passengers in a restrained position.

- Franklin Park, IL, USA

Jul 312006

Prius 4-cyl

: the contact stated the vehicle was T-boned by another vehicle while driving 30 mph on a dry highway, and the side air bag did not deploy. Most of damage was in the middle of the vehicle. The manufacturer sent a specialist to inspect the vehicle and determined the vehicle had the same error as indicated in recall # 06V096000, regarding the air bags. The vehicle was not included in the recall due to the VIN. Seat belts were in use at them time and operated correctly. Injuries were sustained and a police report was taken.

- Medfield, MA, USA

Jan 032006

Prius 4-cyl

I was involved in a low-speed accident in which the brakes in my car (2005 Toyota Prius) did not slow or stop the car and caused me to run into the back of another vehicle. No one was injured, the airbags did not deploy and there was no damage to the vehicle my car collided with. The exterior damage to my car was estimated approximately $6700. Soon after, I was notified by the insurance company that my car was totaled due to damage sustained to the hybrid system. I requested that the event data recorder be downloaded to determine if there had been a failure in the brake system. My insurance company refused and Toyota appears to have ignored my request. I also find it disturbing and curious that the front end and hence the hybrid system was destroyed beyond repair in an accident so minor that the police would not even give it a report number.

- Wheaton, MD, USA