3.7

2006 Toyota Prius accessories - interior problems

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Sep 012011

Prius 4-cyl

2006 Toyota Prius. Letter from re onstar fmv defect the consumer stated the system light failed to light, except when one was talking to the onstar advisor. Then it flashed green on and off as advertised. However, when the system was on and presumably ready for use, the green light did not illuminate. So far, the consumer was to connect to the onstar advisor when the light was off. The consumer received several answer as to why the system was not working as advertised. The consumer stated the unit is malfunctioning and may not work in an emergency situation. The consumer received a call from onstar stating the problem he was having, was due to improper installation, because of an internal battery that required a connection before use. The problem has since been resolved. Updated 10/19/11. The consumer stated the onstar device malfunctioned again. Updated 08/15/12. Updated 09/06/12. Updated 09/18/12 updated 02/11/13. The consumer stated a defect manifested itself by a partial loss of information on the center console display and there was a complete loss of the digital information displayed above the dashboard. The information included the speed, etc. The consumer stated when defect occurred, the power button became inoperative, which resulted in the inability to turn the vehicle power off or remove the electronic key. Updated 06/22/15. Updated 07/08/15.

- Long Beach, MS, USA

May 152011

Prius 4-cyl

I have two smart keys for 2006 Toyota Prius. One of them lose smart function and remote function. When a button is pressed, red light is not on at all. I have tested fob battery and it is ok. I believe that the smart key is defective.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Nov 152009

Prius

Received notice from manufacturer that I should remove the driver's side floormat from my car as it might cause the accelerator to stick. Said they would send more information later. I removed it promptly but am concerned about my safety because other Toyota were advised of the same thing but their accelerators stuck anyway and it wasn't due to the floormat. Spoke with the dealership about this and was advised that my "06 was not being recalled. Since Toyota has lied and evaded issues repeatedly I do not feel safe in my car. I am a realtor and carry clients in my vehicle which creates additional liability for me. I would like to trade cars but the value of my car is less due to Toyota's problems.

- Sun Lakes, AZ, USA

Jul 152009

Prius

Toyota Prius 2006. I pressed accelerator all the way down to accelerate and got stuck there. I was able to stop the car with the brake. It happens twice in July 2009. Once I stopped the car I checked if the floor mats have done so. The floor mats were not the cause. The accelerator was stuck all the way down even with the engine off.... and only after a minute or two of the car stopped and engine off did came the accelerator back. I brought the car to the dealers and they told me that it was the mat. I told them that was not the case. The dealer put some grease in the accelerator and did a few more things (cleaning around and the fuel injection I think). Since then I have avoided pressing the accelerator all the way down even when I need the power to accelerate at the entrance of highways and has not happened again. But there is definitely something wrong with either the mechanics of the accelerator or the electronics that somehow gets the accelerator stuck when you press all the way down. This should not happen and needs to be repaired.

- Sun Valley, CA, USA

Jan 192009

Prius

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle began to accelerate on its owns and the speed increased to 90 mph. The contact depressed the brake pedal and the vehicle began to slow down, but failed to come to a complete stop. The contact was able to safely maneuver the vehicle to the shoulder and turned off the ignition. Upon exiting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the brakes where smoking. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and they determined that the floormat was pinned down to the accelerator pedal when he applied the brakes. The brakes were completely destroyed and the vehicle was repaired at the cost of $1,600. The contact is in the process of notifying the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 73,000 and current mileage was 76,000. Updated 04-14-09 updated 04/15/09.

- San Fransisco, CA, USA

Mar 152007

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. While driving 30 mph, the all weather floormat disconnected from the hook, slid forward, and stuck to the accelerator pedal, causing the vehicle to accelerate. The contact became aware of NHTSA campaign id number 07E082000 (equipment). The manufacturer stated that the recall was addressed on an individual vehicle basis and did not have any further information concerning the Toyota Prius. The current mileage was 15,300 and failure mileage was 12,005. Updated 3/4/08 the consumer stated the mat had been re-attached to the floor hooks.

- Massapequa, NY, USA