2006 Toyota Prius electrical problems

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Mar 172009

Toyota is familiar with the hid lights on their Toyota Prius' and even issued a tsb (T-sb-0030-08) and is still requiring the end user to pay upwards to $800 for the repair. Within the last few weeks, I am having to turn my headlights on and off in the day or during the night so that I can have both lights on. It's an intermittent issue and many other owners are complaining about the same issue. It is a tremendous safety issue especially when driving at night. For the 2010 model Prius, Toyota has even taken out the hid lights. What is really going on here. I am not a happy consumer.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 012008

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius. With hid headlights. The headlights goes out about 2-3 times a day. When I notice it out, I have to turn the lights off and back on. This usually last a few more hours. This repair is very costly and not covered by the dealer. But, headlights are safety items and should be covered.

- Milpitas, CA, USA

Jan 052009

I have a Toyota Prius 2006. Its headlight bulbs are not working. Lights go on and off. Sometimes we don't even know if they are off and other drivers blink us on the road to warn. Toyota dealership is telling us that we need new headlight bulbs. I have extended warranty through Toyota. Toyota denied coverage from my bulb replacement. This problem has been reported by many Prius owners. Toyota needs to recall the defective bulbs and take responsibility for this defective part. This is a dangerous neglect by Toyota and can result in serious injuries and damages to its customers.

- Williamsville, NY, USA

Sep 012008

I've got a package 6 2006 Prius with multi-reflector halogan auto-off headlamps. The hid lamps on this model Prius are notorious for failing within three years. See the passenger side headlights keeps going out. I can't really tell when or how it goes out since I can't see it. I'll notice it when I see the reflection in the back of another car. When I turn them all the way off and back on the light comes back. Sometimes on long trips it will stay on the whole time, sometimes it won't. sometimes on short trips it will go out, sometimes it won't. it is not an event I can make happen. Very similar to other posted descriptions.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Jun 012008

On my 2006 Toyota Prius, one headlight intermittently goes out, but cycling the power switch will make it come back on. It seems to occur more after the car and headlights have been used, turned off for a short while, and then used again. Sometimes the light will go out five times in one minute, at other times it will stay on for hours with no problem. Other owners have had both lights go out randomly and sometimes both at once, which seems like a huge safety issue. I have not done any repair to date, as Toyota so far has no definitive solution to the problem and dealers have had people paying $800 to $1500 to replace a variety of parts, and with some owners reporting that the problem has occurred again later after a repair.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Jan 132009

Intermittent lose of headlights that can be either the driver's or the passenger's lamp. System can be restored by recycling the headlight switch.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 112009

Headlights go off at random times mostly the right (passenger) side but it has happened on the driver side also. When this happens I have discovered that they come back on if I turn off the lights and then back on. After driving for a short time they start going off again or sometimes it will stay on until I don't need them. The next time I use the headlights they work fine for a few minutes and then it starts all over again. Of course it's night when the headlights are used and with one of the other of the lights out this causes a visibility problem and can't see the road clearly. I have received a warning/equipment repair order from my local police and the dealer can't find a problem. The dealer has checked them a couple of times and can not find any problem.

- Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

Jan 102009

Prius 2006 with headlamp problems that appears to be electrical and not just the bulbs. One headlight will go out then if I switch off the lights both will come on. It is not always the same light that goes out. When I turn on my lights it draws on the brightness of the dash lights and they dim. I will be driving with lights on and all the lights will go off until I switch the lights on once again. The dealer has informed me this is the led headlights which are 400 ea. And $90. Installation. This is outrageous and I know it is not just the lamps therefore they will then proceed to charge me for what ever else they think it might be such as the computer system. This should be under warranty. I paid the extra money for an extended warranty and they tell me this is not covered. I have been driving with this problem as I can not afford to fix the problem and do not trust the dealer to continue to charge me for this issue. After reading the chat rooms with other individuals with similar problems, this is a defect and needs to be recalled. They have been reporting this problem since 2004 or 2005. Why has this not been addressed.

- Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Dec 102008

Hid bulb intermittently shuts off in my 2006 Toyota Prius. Toyota wants to replace bulb ($162.50 each). However, according to the blogs, this is a recurring problem with Prius's and may be a "controller" problem, not a bulb issue.

- Gladwyne, PA, USA

Dec 032008

High intensity headlight problem on 2006 Prius. Light goes off intermittently. Sometimes will come back on after flicking on and off a few times. Sometimes will not come on at all. Replaced passenger side at around 26,000 miles and driver's side a few months later. Covered by warranty those times. Now at 53,000 passenger side is out and dealer is charging $300 to replace headlight. Dealer stated that they have had many other customers with same problem. As of today there is no recall.

- Norristown, PA, USA

Oct 012008

To date we have not had an incident, however I believe the failure of our headlight and the lack of Toyota to correctly identify and correct this problem is unacceptable. The failure occurs everyday while driving the vehicle. We were told by the dealership to replace the bulb. The cost of the repair is over $500. After reading many complaints, the wiring or connection seems to be the problem, not the bulb.

- Ladera Ranch, CA, USA

Jun 142006

Hid headlights on 2006 Prius keep failing. First failure at about 14K miles; two failures between 20K and 30K miles. Total of five hid failures: 2 for passenger side light; 3 for driver's side light. Failures are intermittent, often while driving. Hitting hid lamp lightly often restores light. Initially bulbs were replaces (twice). Subsequently, the entire unit (including computer board) were replaced. Bulbs should last life of car-- neither original hid light lasted the first year.

- Pacoima, CA, USA

Sep 302008

My 2006 Toyota Prius has a problem with the driver's side hid headlight intermittently going out while driving. The light simply goes out on its own. To get it too come back on, I have to completely turn off the headlights & turn them back on. This is very dangerous at night. I have had this car only 2 years but, since it has 50,000 miles on it, the dealer will not fix it under warranty. They want to charge $1300 for a new computer circuit board, headlight & headlight housing. According to other Prius owners on the discussion forum at, this is a widespread problem with the 2006 model Prius. So far, Toyota has not issued a recall. As this is obviously a serious safety issue due to defective parts / manufacturing, they should do so immediately.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

May 012006

My front headlight does not always work reliably. It will stop working sometimes when I am driving, but may return to normal operation when I power off the car. When I tried to get this repaired, the technician could not find anything wrong. After researching on the discussion boards, I have learned that there are many other Prius drivers that have this same problem. The car is only 2 years old. I believe that there is a design issue with the headlight drive electronics.

- Bellbrook, OH, USA

May 282007

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving on highway when suddenly I lost all power! I managed to take the nearest exit at 20 mph. Pulled over to the shoulder. Hope you get the seriousness T S situation. My passenger and I could have died. Bf state of car before failure 1> tank full shell vpower ( previous tank 57.8 mpg calculated costco fuel ) 2> mileage 9982 ( just completed 10000 mile service from capitol Toyota ca ) 3> A/C on was changing setting ( moved from front vent to front and bottom vent ) just before failure heard a beep and then no power.tried flooring the accelerator sad.gif 4> speed ~70mph 5> both power outlets loaded a> garmin mobile 10X charger B> htc 3125 phone charger 6> phone conected via bluetooth nothing was done by Toyota said they could not replicate the problem hence they can not change or fix anything.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Aug 112006

: the contact stated that there were on going problems with the vehicle stalling. Also, the gas and mileage gauge were unreliable. The last stalling failure occurred on the freeway while driving 65 mph which was the third incident. The dealer determined that the gas and mileage gauge were unreliable because of the way it was manufactured. The problems persist.

- San Antonio, TX, USA