2006 Toyota Prius engine problems

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Jul 172016

Driving down the freeway, the shift lever jumped from drive to neutral at 65mph. Very dangerous.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Feb 052016

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. While driving 20 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle; however, the failure recurred six times. The vehicle was not taken to be diagnosed nor repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V536000 (engine and engine cooling, hybrid propulsion system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 106,082.

- Kingsport, TN, USA

May 042015

On the morning of may,04,2015 upon entering the car and starting it up the instrument panel fails to display. Not certain what the issue was I performed various check including the the accessory battery and attempted multiple times starting and stopping the car to no avail. I left the car where it was and a few hours later when I returned everything worked fine for a few more weeks then the issue occurred again. However, I have noticed that the issue is occurring now more frequently including when driving (stopped then go). Furthermore, whenever this issue occurs it becomes almost impossible to power the engine off and since their is no cluster display to let you know vital safety information, including speed, gas, mileage, gear (D-R-N) this creates an unsafe and hazardous condition for operators of this vehicle. Toyota motor Corp. Is very much aware of this hazard which results from a manufacture defective combination meter.

- Piscataway, NJ, USA

Feb 032015

Prius 4-cyl

Automatic transmission selector shifted from drive (D) into neutral (N). This could be temporarily corrected by manually re-selecting D, but in about 3 seconds, it shifted back to N. we drove by keeping one hand on the lever to keep it in D. after we stopped, the same problem occurred in reverse (R) -- the selector shifted into N after a couple of seconds. Again, we were able to move the vehicle by maintaining pressure in the direction of the R selection. I've found several references to this problem on websites. It appears to be solved by installing a new selector assembly.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Dec 092014

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. While driving 55 mph over a pothole, the contact lost control of the vehicle. The vehicle went airborne and the seat belt disengaged and caused the contact to be ejected from the vehicle. Additionally, the front driver side tire detached from the vehicle and the contact crashed into a ditch. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed and the contact sustained unknown injuries that required medical attention. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 220,000. Updated 2/24/15 updated 03/02/15

- Rockymount, NC, USA

May 142014

Prius 4-cyl

This complaint has not been qcD. the contact submitted an email and requested that the official IVOQ be written verbatim to the email. Kmj I have multiple situations with my Toyota Prius 2006 in the beginning of May 2014 I a loud beeping noise filled the car. The system had multiple lights displaying showing including the emergency brake light ( while I was driving), ABS, vsc, a red triangle with an exclamation point in the middle, etc. As, this was happening car immediately started slowing down and I was forced to pull it to the side of the street. This same thing happened to me three other times while I was on the freeway. One time I was driving home from work and my car again started decelerating while I had multiple cars around me on the freeway. All of the lights were displaying, I put my hazards on and was forced to move to the side of the road while I was almost hit by the car behind me because my car was rapidly slowing down. I took the car to the dealership service center and they didn't know what the problem was. They did a diagnostic test, multiple test drives, but at that time they didn't know. So they told me to drive the car home and come back if it happens again. Within the week I was exiting off of the freeway with my children when I start hearing the loud beeping noise, all the lamp lights came on, and as I am waiting in line to exit the freeway onto a busy street the car stops. I panicked, put on the hazards, the car wouldn't allow me to shift it into drive it had moved to neutral on its own. I turned off the car, turned it back on and was slowly able to move the car. This time I took pictures of the lamp display to show the service members as well. My children, myself, and other drivers could have been seriously hurt! the Toyota service center told us we have a bad computer, the problem is with the ECU, and the car went into a fail safe mode.

- San Jose , CA, USA

Oct 012013

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius hybrid. The contact stated that while waiting at a traffic light, a red triangle warning lamp illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer however, the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 96,000. Updated 02/25/14

- Iron Belt , WI, USA

May 232013

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving on a highway and the car on the right started to move to my lane without turning on turn signal, he probably didn't notice me as he was moving on me, I started to brake but brake pedal started to work at once, it started to work only after delay and after it started working I lost control over the car, ABS signal turned on and I started to move to the left. I tried to prevent it but car was totally out of control and this caused the accident. The same happened to my wife in February when she was driving my car on highway. She just couldn't stop even though the distance to the next car was long enough. Brake pedal started to work with the delay and she bumped into the next car.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

May 102013

The vehicle unexpectedly shutdown while driving. There was no power and the brakes were boggy. The red triangle warning light came as well as the ABS and engine warning lights. After pulling over the car restarted and drove fine but the red triangle remained on. The next day it was working fine. Toyota was unable to find anything except a low voltage warning.

- Arcata, CA, USA

Jan 222013

Car's engine would not shut off. Additionally, the digital dashboard (which shows the speedometer, odometer, gas gauge, etc.) would not light up. Toyota dealer says it is due to a failed combination meter. The part is on national backorder. It has been more than two weeks and my car is still awaiting the part.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Sep 032012

Prius 4-cyl

Ice water pump failure at 51,000 miles. 13 months out of warranty. Dealer and corporate office would not cover any part of repair.

- Terre Haute, IN, USA