2006 Toyota Prius engine problems

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Nov 152009

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. While driving 30 mph the vehicle unexpectedly accelerated. The floor mats were removed prior to the failure. The contact filed a claim with the Toyota manufacturer who stated that no others complaints have been filed regarding the acceleration. The manufacturer also advised her to take the vehicle to the dealer who was unable to diagnose or duplicate the failure. The dealer performed routine maintenance on the vehicle prior to the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000. Updated 4/13/10 updated 06/25/10.

- Nashville, TN, USA

May 152009

Prius

1. driving on the highway with the cruise control on. 2. we could not get the cruise control to disengage. Neither tapping the brake or the cruise control switch would turn the cruise control off. We had to slam the brakes to disengage. 3. we turned the car off and restarted it. That fixed the problem, but we have not used the cruise control since. The Toyota dealer could not find anything wrong.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Feb 092010

Prius

I have a 2006 Prius. When I drive over a wet/icy spot or a road grate (like a metal drain) my car seems to skid and the rough road light comes on. This does not happen while I am braking, but while I am accelerating or driving normally. I have purchased better tires, which helps a little, but I still experience this issue. I have always assumed it was a design flaw and I try not to drive my car in any bad weather. Toyota has issued many recalls for similar issues, but my car doesn't seem to be covered.

- Wayne, PA, USA

Dec 172009

Prius

Moving off from traffic light vehicle Toyota Prius model 2006 began to accelerate uncontrollably and break did not slow vehicle down immediately; vehicle was accelerating for sometime before break began to slow vehicle down; fortunately there were not vehicles immediately in from of my vehicle. This experience was very scary.

- Corona, NY, USA

Sep 122009

Prius

Unintended acceleration in my 2006 Toyota Prius. Lasted less than 30 seconds. Responded to repeated braking and hitting and pulling with my foot on the gas pedal. It happened when I floored the gas pedal to pass another vehicle.the pedal was not stuck to the floor mat. I could not reproduce the event after it occurred by flooring the gas pedal again.

- Keller, TX, USA

Jun 272007

Prius

Driving 2006 Prius 6/27/07 on rural 2 lane highway, crossed rough rail road crossing. Within 1/4 mile moved out to pass cyclists and as I cut back into my lane the car suddenly accelerated from 40 to 60 mph in 3 seconds. Burned up brakes and started car fire getting car stopped. Towed to Toyota in wasau wisc. Brakes replaced but Toyota said it(sudden uncontrollable acceleration) had never happened before. Toyota wouldn't pay even though car was under warranty. Insurance paid. It has not happened again but we found numerous incidents had occurred back to 05. We still have old brake parts.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

May 152009

Prius

My 2006 Toyota Prius has several issues with acceleration, braking, turning car off and on alarm goes off constantly and terrible gas mileage around 30 miles per gallon.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Apr 042007

Prius

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. While driving approximately 25 mph on an uneven and winding road the vehicle accelerated to a high speed. She was forced to change direction and crashed into a ditch which caused the tires to blow out. The under carriage was destroyed the vehicle was destroyed. Toyota replaced gave the contact a 2007 Toyota Prius since the 2006 Prius was destroyed. The contact sustained injuries. Since the crash involved one vehicle a police report was not filed. Toyota towed the vehicle to the closest dealer. The VIN number was unknown. The failure mileage was 17,000.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Jan 022010

Prius

The brake problems with the Toyota Prius go beyond jus the 2010 model. I have a 2006 Prius and it does the same thing re: The brakes seeming to "slip" when you hit a bump or a slick surface. Also, when you tap the brakes, and then hit the accelerator (as when avoiding another car that is doing something stupid) it sort-of "stalls" for a few seconds before it will accelerate.

- Denver, CO, USA

Oct 152009

Prius

I currently drive a 2006 Toyota Prius and have had numerous instances of brake slippage when going over a bump/pothole during deceleration or acceleration. Upon further research at priuschat.com, an online community of Prius owners, community members advised that this was "by design" since the vehicle's computer thought that loss of traction when going over an obstacle was considered as a stability issue hence dis-engaging the brakes (ABS). I have had several fender benders without the air-bag deploying though.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 062007

Prius

Three separate times I had the gas pedal of my 2006 Toyota Prius stick to the floor when I was accelerating on the highway.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Dec 162009

Prius

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. While driving 65 mph he stepped on the brake pedal, the vehicle accelerated, and crashed into the vehicle in front of him. There were no injuries. The police were not notified. After the contact turned the vehicle on and off, it reset itself. The vehicle was able to be driven from the scene. A Toyota manufacturer representative inspected the vehicle and stated that there were no defects. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Jan 012006

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. While driving at slow speeds including 10 mph over potholes and making a left or right turn, the brakes lost traction. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The dealer also stated that the failure was not related to the floor mats. The failure mileage was 99 and the current mileage was 50,000. Updated 04/01/10 the consumer stated it felt as though the vehicle was accelerating when making a turn at a slow speed or driving over rough pavement. Updated 06/28/10

- Austin , TX, USA

Nov 152009

Prius

Starting up my Toyota Prius coming out of a car wash the engine stuck with high revs. I confirmed it was not the car mat because I had been in the car wash and that was my thought. Could not get the engine to stop over revving (was consistently high). Never went into high speed. Was able to control it by putting it in low gear and neutral at the intersections. In less than 1 mile I turned off the car and did not have any follow-on problems. Not the car mats.

- Brea, CA, USA

May 222008

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. While the contact was driving 40 mph the vehicle had suddenly began to accelerate on its own. The contact was able to apply enough braking pressure to slow the vehicle, which allowed the contact to park the vehicle and shut it off. The vehicle was taken to the dealership where the contact was informed to remove the driver side floor mat. There were no prior warnings and the current mileages is 23000 and the failure mileage was 13153. Updated 4/7/2010 updated 05/06/10.

- Napperville, IL, USA

Jul 312007

Prius

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. The contact was driving approximately 30 mph on normal road conditions. There was pressure applied to the accelerator pedal, followed by an unintended increase in acceleration. The driver applied pressure to the brake pedal and the vehicle failed to slow down. The gear shift failed to operate in the "neutral" position. In addition, the entire gear indicators illuminated at the same time. The vehicle was driven into a barrier of dirt as a result of the vehicle coming to a complete stop. The failures occurred on four separate occasions. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle has not been repaired for the malfunctions. The failure mileage was 41,404.

- Studio City , CA, USA

Dec 172009

Prius

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius. Several times--possibly as many as 20--over the course of owning the car in the last four years, I have had the following experience. When applying the brake after letting my foot off the accelerator, the car will have a sudden surge forward--either as if the break isn't working or the acceleration was actually increasing rather than staying the same or decreasing. Each time it has happened, the car monitor light for "slippery road" flashes on the dashboard. I have twice asked a Toyota dealer about this. They say it is a common feature of the Prius when it switches between the gas and electric components of the engine. This doesn't seem like a satisfactory explanation. It could easily result in an accident if someone happens to be in front of me the next time it occurs. This has occurred even after I removed the driver floor mat, as recommended by Toyota. I do not believe it has anything to do with either the gas pedal or the floor mat. I think it's electrical.

- Wooster, OH, USA

Mar 022009

Prius

Back in 2009, I experienced runaway acceleration in my 2006 Toyota Prius. The cruise control had been engaged for between 5 and 15 minutes. All of a sudden, the vehicle started to race. I was traveling in the 70's (mph), and it shot up to nearly 100 before I got it under control. The dealer claimed he had no such other complaints and could not replicate my problem. I brought it back again a few months. Later because the cruise control intermittently failed to set. I brought it back a third time, again, a few mos. Later. This time, they had a fix, which was a new cruise control module. The first 2 trips were under warranty. They wanted to charge me the 3rd time because it was then beyond the 3 years of warranty. I fought this because the condition was obviously pre-existing. Yesterday, steve wozniak received television and press attention when he reported the same problem, a problem that Toyota told me they had never experienced before. As far as I am concerned, this company is scamming the public. They are playing with people's lives. It's got to stop. It's more than just brake pedals and carpet; it's apparently a way of life for this company. (I no longer have the vehicle. Dates and mileage are approx.)

- Rancho Mirage, CA, USA

Jun 192009

Prius

I have a 2006 Prius. Twice in 60,000 miles, when in cruise control, driving at highway speeds, and having to brake suddenly, the cruise control disengaged, as it should, . I brake, the car slows, as it should. Then the car starts to surge up to the original cruise control set speed. I am able to brake and stop it, but at highway speeds, and approaching a near emergency stop situation- this has scared me. It has only happened twice...but memorable in the surprise it even happened. I reported it to a local Toyota dealer, who couldn't recreate the problem, then also called the Toyota corporation customer service, which said they had no reports of that happening.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Oct 152006

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. He stated that he was driving 45 mph when he hit the brake pedal and all of a sudden the vehicle surged forward without a warning while still having his foot on the brake pedal. The failure occurred approximately 15 times over the last couple of years. The dealer has not been contacted yet since they would not be able to duplicate the problem. No repairs were made to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 10000 and the current mileage was 60000. Updated 03/09/10. Updated 05/13/10.

- Shaker Heights , OH, USA