2006 Toyota Prius engine problems

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Jan 262010

Prius

We own a 2006 Toyota Prius. The car was purchased new, has been dealer maintained and is our primary vehicle. On January 26, 2010 at 2:05 pm my wife experience uncontrollable acceleration and despite attempting the strategies recommended by Toyota was involved in a crash causing her and others injury. The weather was clear, the road was dry and straight and my wife was approaching an intersection with plenty of unobstucted visibility. We had followed the initial recall instructions and had been in contact with the local dealer about any follow-up instructions pertaining to our vehicle. After the accident I contact, in person, the service manager at performance Toyota in Lincoln, ne. He stated our vehicle was not part of the most recent recall involving faulty gas pedals. I advised him I understood that however my wife experienced uncontrolled acceleration and despite attempting to employ the recommended strategies was involved in a crash resulting to injuries to her and others. I asked the service manager how to proceed and he advised me to call the "Toyota customer experience line" and speak to them. When I stated I had tried many times and was unable to reach a person he insisted that was the appropriate manner to deal with the situation. I left the dealership feeling extremely frustrated due to the fact the recorded message on the "Toyota customer experience line" advised if you had experienced and accelerator/acceleration problem contact your dealer immediately. We are aware that many Toyota owners have experience this issue with their vehicles and in more models and years than are involved in the latest recall. It is not possible for an individual middle class citizen to challenge a major automaker to first admit and then correct a defect in an automobile they produced and sold. We request you investigate this incident in addition to the many more that have been reported. We will be available and cooperative in any fact finding you may wish to do.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Nov 172009

Prius

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. At low speed brake application, the vehicle had suddenly surged forward without warning. Consequently she struck a ditch at 70 mph. She suffered a broken hand and a concussion. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealership. The current and failure mileages were 43000.

- Burke, VA, USA

Jun 012008

Prius

While driving my Prius I have experienced brief moments of unexplained acceleration. It was startling when it happened but was also over quickly. I believe it has happened twice. Once was about one week after I had taken the car in for maintenance. I can remember thinking I might have to take the car in again. It felt like the acceleration when using cruise control, however, I don't and wasn't using cruise control. I have only the floor mats that came with the vehicle and do not believe this was caused by the floor mat.

- La Canada, CA, USA

Jul 152009

Prius

Toyota Prius 2006. I pressed accelerator all the way down to accelerate and got stuck there. I was able to stop the car with the brake. It happens twice in July 2009. Once I stopped the car I checked if the floor mats have done so. The floor mats were not the cause. The accelerator was stuck all the way down even with the engine off.... and only after a minute or two of the car stopped and engine off did came the accelerator back. I brought the car to the dealers and they told me that it was the mat. I told them that was not the case. The dealer put some grease in the accelerator and did a few more things (cleaning around and the fuel injection I think). Since then I have avoided pressing the accelerator all the way down even when I need the power to accelerate at the entrance of highways and has not happened again. But there is definitely something wrong with either the mechanics of the accelerator or the electronics that somehow gets the accelerator stuck when you press all the way down. This should not happen and needs to be repaired.

- Sun Valley, CA, USA

Oct 222009

Prius

Regarding the problem with Toyota. I bought a 2006 Prius earlier this year. What I have noticed periodically is that when I step on the brake if I have had cruise control on, the car surges forward for a second. My heart always skips a beat, but then the car returns to normal. I'm wondering if the cruise control might be part of the problem that Toyota is supposedly looking in to.

- Apache Junction, AZ, USA

Nov 102006

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius purchased February 2006. When utilizing the cruise control switch, the engine would begin to accelerate rapidly and race. Once the cruise control was canceled, the acceleration would cease. He stated the floor mats did not cause rapid acceleration. The failure would only occur when cruise control was utilized. The manufacturer was notified, and he was advised to discontinue usage of the vehicle speed control. No repairs had been made to correct the failure. The failure and current mileages were under 15,000. Updated 11/23/09. Updated 11/24/09

- Alpine, TX, USA

Aug 152009

Prius

I have a 2007 Prius and I have had a problem with acceleration 3 times. I read that it was thought to be a case of the gas pedal being caught on the floor mats. I took out the carpet mat and I currently have only the plastic all weather mat (I took out the carpet mat) which is secured with the two plastic hooks. My daughter gets her drivers license next Monday and I was going to have her drive the Prius. I'm afraid to have her drive it now. Are you absolutely sure that the acceleration problem is just the floor mats and that there is no possibility that there is a problem with the electrical systems? because if it is just the mat issue then I have taken care of that. If it could be electric than I won't let her drive it.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Mar 192009

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle accelerated when the brake pedal was depressed. The brake pedal required greater force to slow down the vehicle. In addition, the stopping distance was increased. There were no warnings and the failures occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing, but they could not duplicate the failures. On three separate occasions, the vehicle was taken back to the authorized dealer for identical failures, but there were no resolutions. The manufacturer inspected the vehicle, but was unable to detect the failures. The failure mileage was 44,000 and current mileage was 49,000. Updated 08/21/09. Updated 08/26/09.

- Placentia, CA, USA

Jun 152007

Prius

I own a 2006 Toyota pruis. I experienced two different times unintended acceleration. I can't tell exactly what was going on at the time. I hit the brake & shut off the cruise control. Engine returned back to normal. I would guess it would pertain to some malfunction in the cruise. Any other same complaints?

- Whiting, NJ, USA

May 012009

Prius

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. While stopped at a traffic light, the contact proceeded to accelerate and noticed that the engine engaged before the accelerator pedal was depressed. The contact was still depressing the brake pedal when the vehicle began to take off. He had to apply more pressure to the brakes in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but they were unable to determine the cause of the failure. The failure could not be duplicated and no repairs were made. The contact is in the process of notifying the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 33,700 and current mileage was 33,720.

- Issaquah, WA, USA

Jan 192009

Prius

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle began to accelerate on its owns and the speed increased to 90 mph. The contact depressed the brake pedal and the vehicle began to slow down, but failed to come to a complete stop. The contact was able to safely maneuver the vehicle to the shoulder and turned off the ignition. Upon exiting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the brakes where smoking. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and they determined that the floormat was pinned down to the accelerator pedal when he applied the brakes. The brakes were completely destroyed and the vehicle was repaired at the cost of $1,600. The contact is in the process of notifying the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 73,000 and current mileage was 76,000. Updated 04-14-09 updated 04/15/09.

- San Fransisco, CA, USA

Mar 222008

Prius 4-cyl

Car accelerated without pressing on the gas pedal. Had to apply the brakes so hard that they were left smoking to stop the car. Towed it to mark miller Toyota. They ran tests, and claim the gas pedal and brake were applied at the same time, implying that the problem was human caused. We disagree. Have been driving for 30 years plus. No tickets in decades. The idea that we were applying the accelerator while braking hard is ludicrous. The computer registered that the pressure was applied to the pedal, but the computer applied the pressure. We also experienced this occurring on at least two other occasions.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Oct 162007

Prius

I came to a stop and the car actually came to a stop and then suddenly started creeping towards the other car. I thought I was accidentally pressing the gas pedal as well but I wasn't so I started pressing hard on the brake and nothing! I started pumping the brakes and the car stopped. Then I continued my drive as usual without it happening again. No lights came on, nothing unusual. Just weird. Car has almost 36K miles 06 model.

- Endicott, NY, USA

Nov 302006

Prius 4-cyl

I've a 2006 Toyota Prius. Traffic stopped for a red light and I was behind a cement truck. I slowed to a complete stop about 5 ft. Behind this truck. All of sudden I noticed my car started moving forward with my foot still on the brake. I stood on my brake and couldn't stop the Prius. It contacted the cement truck causing a dent on the right side of the hood and a crack windshield. The consumer stated as traffic began to stop for a red light, he began braking from about 25 mph which seemed normal. He continued to gradually slow the vehicle down at a distance of about 5 to 10 feet, the consumer estimated his speed was about 3-5 mph. The brakes locked up and failed to stop the vehicle, consequently the consumer rear ended another vehicle. The brakes felt hard, not spongy and not pulsating. The vehicle lost all braking completely. Updated 01/10/07.

- Brea, CA, USA