2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 12 of 40)

Feb 012010

Prius

Passenger headlight cuts out without warning for no apparent reason. The only remedy is to turn the headlights off and then back on. This causes the head light to begin functioning for a short period of time.

- San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

May 042010

Prius

I own a 2006 Toyota Prius. The headlights go out intermittently. When the lights are turned off and then back on, it seems to fix the problem. Took it to the dealer and they said since they were working at the time there was nothing that they would do. This is a huge safety issue. This has happened on several occasions now, going back a few months.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Mar 102010

Prius

Re: Toyota Prius 2006 hid headlights problem - intermittent on and off for the past 10,000 miles solution: Dealer wants $600 labor to replace a bulb. Not covered under extended warranty. Dealer does not know if bulb is the problem, or starter, or other. Problem could costs thousands of dollars to troubleshoot! poor design means I cannot change it myself. Other Prius owners reporting similar experience.

- Milton, GA, USA

May 012010

Prius

Both headlights (hid) on a 2006 Toyota Prius failed 3 times last night. Turning off and on the headlights ( at highway speed!!!) corrected the problem. Toyota has previously sent out a letter noting the "payback of replacement hid" cost but for both to fail out of the blue is very suspicious.

- Sykesville, MD, USA

Apr 282010

Prius

This happens on a 2006 Toyota Prius. The head lamps fail, this failure takes place every 3-4 months. This has happened 20 times since the car was purchased 2006 March. The failure does not happen simultaneously, but the driver's side lamp will fail and then the passenger side lamp will fail. It is always the low beam filament that fails. This was reported to the dealership and at 90K mile check up, the dealership was asked to check the resistance, the voltage and the amps in each circuit for each head lamp. The stated there was no problem in this area. There is another electrical issue, but is seems to be not related. The horn will sound softly when stopped with the engine electrical or gas or both running. Thanks.

- Indialantic, FL, USA

Apr 112010

Prius

I own a 2006 Toyota Prius I that has hid headlight system I have replaced the computer once and at least 2 bulbs which go out intermittently. I had one go out again and if the other side goes out before I can get it serviced I won't be able to drive it at night at all.

- Salinas, CA, USA

Mar 302010

Prius

Failure of hid headlights headlights failed at 50,000 miles, I feel that Toyota used a poor quality light bulb for their hid lighting. The coast is expensive to replace the bulb. Toyota should recall the hid light bulb.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Sep 032009

Prius

Hid headlamp goes out while driving after it becomes hot.

- Kunkletown, PA, USA

Apr 072010

Prius

Headlight on driver's side occasionally turns off while driving.

- Acampo, CA, USA

Apr 012010

Prius

Bought a used 2006 Toyota Prius on March 29, 2010, with 50,000 miles. The first time I drove it at night, the right headlight went out, followed shortly by the left headlight. I turned on my fog lights and proceeded to drive the 25 miles to my home. I turned off the headlights and turned them back on and they both worked. This time the left headlight went out, and I turned off my fog lights and turned on the high beams, then all the lights went out and I turned the fog lights back on. This occurred four times before I finally made it home on one headlight. Dealer replaced the bulbs. Toyota said they were high intensity bulbs that heated up and burned out, and suggested not using them except at night. The bulbs cost $150 or $350 and cost an additional $150 to install. Was told if it happens again, to let them know and they'll swap the bulbs to see if it's the headlight computer that has the problem. No idea what that would cost to replace. Wasn't happy with the situation, traded up to a 2008 Prius with 25,000 miles and tonight, April 6, 2010, the same thing has happened. There is something wrong with this scenario. One the headlight bulbs shouldn't consistently blow, and, two, no headlight bulb should cost $150 or more. Back to the dealer tomorrow or the next day to see what they'll do.

- Frederica, DE, USA

Jan 102010

Prius

The hid headlights on my 2006 Toyota Prius (40K miles) go out whenever the car accelerates (braking, speeding up, turning, go over a speed bump). The lights turn back on if I flip the headlight switch on and off. This appears to be a widespread issue affecting thousands of Toyota Prius owners.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Mar 292010

Prius

Hid headlight on Toyota Prius 2006 will not stay on!! when I went to the dealer the headlight happened to be on and they could do nothing. When it went off last night I almost ran into a retaining wall. Very close call and it scared the hell out of us!! it has occurred a couple of times. Judging from the Prius chat site this is a common occurrence which Toyota should be able to fix, but evidently a lot of people have spent thousands of dollars with no appreciable effect. I'll take it in again, but I ahven't too much faith in their ability to resolve the problem permanently!!

- Henderson, NV, USA

Oct 152009

Prius

This is about a 2006 Toyota Prius with 37,000 miles on it. The driver's side headlight goes on and off. It happens frequently, perhaps every day, and it has been like this for 4 months now. A lot of people are having the same problem and I know from them that replacing the bulb will not fix it.

- Ithaca, NY, USA

Jan 012010

Prius

2006 Prius (45,000 miles) hid failure. Both passenger and driver's side hid headlamp turn off after running car for about 10 minutes. Dealer quotes extremely expensive to remedy problem, considering it is a major safety issue for night driving.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 012008

Prius

Our 2006 Toyota Prius with hid headlights intermittently and suddenly turn off, mostly on the driver side, but can happen on the passenger side. It is sometimes difficult to know when a bulb goes out, so this is clearly a safety issue since oncoming traffic can misjudge my car's position with only one headlight, not to mention reduced visibility for my car. When I went to the city Toyota dealership in daly city, ca near my house in 2008, I was shocked to find out the Toyota parts department was charging $300 for one bulb. I read online that turning the headlights off and then on can revive the bulb, and I found this method to work, but often the bulb would then randomly turn off again. This make-shift temporary solution, plus the very high price for a bulb as well as unclear instructions from Toyota whether it was the expensive electronics unit or the bulb discouraged me from doing anything. Then I read that even after bulbs were replaced with oem bulbs some Prius owners had recurring issues. Was I going to spend $300 per bulb only to find out it didn't work? no way. I consider this issue to be a reliability and safety issue that Toyota should rectify at their cost 100%. all I received in the mail from Toyota was a letter saying they would reimburse me if I had performed headlight issue service with them. I am frustrated this issue is still not being officially dealt with by Toyota in a responsible manner. My post to this site is in an attempt for the proper government authorities to force Toyota's hand to do the right thing, and that is to face up to an obvious design/quality issue.

- Daly City, CA, USA

Mar 172010

Prius

My Prius has 60, 000 miles and has hi definition headlights. Last week one of the lights went out so I went to a Toyota dealer to have it changes. When they turned on the headlights to check the problem the light worked. The tech said Toyota had a problem with headlights getting overheated and going out and coming back on. The problems was not resolved.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Sep 152008

Prius

My headlights are intermittently failing on my 2006 Prius. The dealership has replaced both the left and right (as a pair) headlights at ~20,000 miles and again at ~48,000 miles. And now at 55,000 miles, they are replacing another front headlight hid bulb. There were two additional times that I requested the Toyota service department check the lights as I had been told by a police officer that front and/or back lights were out, but the dealership said all of the lights were functioning. My lights appear to work intermittently. I may have both headlights working for a week or a month or more, then one of both may go out, and then one or both may start functioning again. It's completely variable. I never know if one of both headlights will work at any given time. It's frustrating and scary- as I don't know what to do to fundamentally resolve the issue and ensure that I have functioning headlights! approximate dates: Jan 2008 - police officer told me a light was out, dealer could not reproduce April 2008 - both headlights replaced September 2009- both headlights replaced February 2009- police officer told me lights were out (1 front, 1 back) March 2010- headlight replaced

- San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 122010

Prius

My hid light on my 2006 Prius burnt out on driver's left side. Took it in for a replacement and they told me that I have to replace both for a price of $500 and will only warranty for 1 year. I was told the average span for a bulb is 2.5-4 years. This is a ridiculous price for a light bulb. You should put pressure on the company to bring the cost for this safety repair down to a reasonable level.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 152010

Prius

1996 Toyota Prius - (3) things I have noticed when operating car. (1) when braking and going over rough pavement, car will behave as though it is hydroplaneing - the brakes not slowing the car for a brief period until car settles down. This can happen when going as slow as 5 mph. The faster one is going when hitting the rough pavement, the farther the car will travel before braking sensation re-appears. I believe this occurs everytime I travel rough pavement (la city streets, not back country or 4 wheeling). Note that warning light on dashboard does light suggesting loss of control. I called dealer service center and described problem, they assured me that no safety warnings or recalls had been made. 2) when turning off cruise control, car will accelerate slightly for approximately 1-2 seconds. This is most noticeable when trying to exit carpool lane in heavy traffic and spacing is limited. Again called dealership and assured no safety notices or recalls. I now cover brake when turning off speed control. 3) car just eats up hid headlight (9 in 80K miles + 2 original installed) and taillight bulbs (11 + 2 originally installed). Again no safety notices or recalls. I replace them as I notice them. I have never had both headlights go out at once as described on your website. Note that other than the above issues/concerns, this car has been a great car with no service except for gas, oil changes, and replace the bulbs when they go out.

- Cypress, CA, USA

Mar 152010

Prius

My 2006 Toyota Prius headlights are malfunctioning. My headlights go off intermittently. Mainly the right headlights but both lights have this problem. If I turn off and then turn on the lights then they will work ok for a little while. I am worried that both lights may go off and will put my family at risk at night.

- Fremont, CA, USA