2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 15 of 40)

Feb 092010

Prius

Toyota Prius exterior lights shut down. This happens all of the time the car is driven. Hid headlights turn off without the driver knowing and then keeps on driving until they are struck or hit something. Other cars may not see this. This has occurred over 5000 times...

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Mar 242006

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius hid headlamps turn off while driving. This occurs all of the time; first one headlight goes out, then the second one... in order to remedy for short time you need to turn off headlight and turn back on. Toyota denies any wrong doing and it will cost $1000 to fix which is not fair as I have brought the car in numerous times to be repaired and nothing was done to it. Very dangerous for those that cannot tell if their headlamps goes out. Accidents.

- Burlingame, CA, USA

Feb 062010

Prius

My 2006 Toyota Prius has experienced intermittent hid headlight operation for almost a year. This is not so bad on the open highways with other cars still lighting up the road, but it's downright scary on dark country roads. At all times, while driving at night, the headlights get progressively dimmer to the point where I can actually outrun my field of vision.....again very unnerving. My solution has been to drive one of my other cars when possible. I guess the good news is I've never experienced the brake & gas pedal issues that are on the news.........still, I think the hid headlight issue is serious. I've never bothered to complain to the dealer because I've heard they will give me the runaround and charge over $800 to replace the bulbs & the problem only goes away for a few months at best.

- South Salem, NY, USA

Mar 152007

Prius

1. brakes on my 2006 Prius momentarily failed to respond, after a 1 - 2 sec delay they activated. At same time, the traction light flashes, but the car is not losing traction. This happened 4 X, one almost resulted in a crash. It is more likely to happen when braking while going over a bump in the road. There have been other times when the traction light flashes on unexpectedly, but effect on brakes is unknown: Not braking then. 3 different Toyota dealers told me they couldn't find anything wrong. At one dealer, I went for a test drive with a mechanic. During the test drive, I was able to make the traction light go on when there was no loss of traction. The invoice stated "test drove and checked operations. At this time could not duplicate customer's concerns." I wrote on the invoice "I was able to make the traction light go on when there was no loss of traction. I am not satisfied that the problem has been found and repaired." & on the signature line "not satisfied, (signature)" I wanted them to change the computer, but they said if they couldn't duplicate the problem, they couldn't change the computer. I insisted that they replace one component, and if the problem didn't reoccur, I'd know they found the solution. They bled the brakes, which was unlikely to be cause of the problem. When I went to pick up my invoice up 2nd time, the copy on which I had written my comments was returned to me, and a freshly printed copy- without my comments - was given to me & kept for their records. 2. same car: Headlight go out at unexpected times. 2 Toyota dealers told me that the bulb would cost $300, and installation would be well over $100 because they "had to take off the bumper to change the bulb!" I replaced the bulb myself (without taking off the bumper) but now, 9 months later, it is starting to go again. Toyota sent a letter saying it was how hid bulbs burned out & not a pblm w/ controller. If true, how is it that new bulb is also burning out?

- Clarksburg, MD, USA

Sep 152009

Prius

Premature failure of hid headlights in 2006 Toyota Prius.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Feb 042010

Prius

Headlights go off without warning while driving. One light bulb going off is common, however, both lights have gone off at the same time repeatedly during driving, leaving me without any lighting. Lights come back on after turning the switch off and then on again.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Jan 032009

Prius

Purchased 2006 Prius in Jan 09 immediately had the driver side headlamp go out and then fix itself. This has been a continuing problem of flickering since I have been driving it for a year. At night this is scary especially on mountain roads where there is no light from street lights. I am no longer driving in the rain or at night until Toyota addresses this problem. Dealer wants $489.38 to replace them both will not replace one alone. The news has reported that thousands have a complaint with Toyota about this problem but Toyota will not address this issue eventhough I believe it is a safety issue and I have an extended warranty which does not cover this even though it is bumper to bumper warranty. The cost of $489.38 is way too high for a car that only has 32,397 miles on it and much to expensive for a senior citizen who is on a limited income.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Feb 052009

Prius

Both hid headlights went out at the same time. Fortunately it was just before mid-night, there was no traffic, and I was slowing down for a red light. I turned the lights and ignition on and off several times and eventually the lights come on and I drove about 200 yards to my apartment. I took the car to my dealer. The service manager was aware of the problem. He treated it as though it were fairly common. He replaced both bulbs at no charge to me under warranty. I not aware of any subsequent problems.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jun 102006

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius one or both headlights turn off suddenly while driving.

- Aptos, CA, USA

Nov 012009

Prius

2006 Prius with high intensity discharge headlight. Headlight has been failing over the past few months.

- Lafayette, CA, USA

Jan 272010

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius with hid headlights. I have had problems with the headlamps going out intermittently. My wife was stopped by the police because the left headlight went out the other night. The dealer replaced the bulb on the right side in June 2009. Now I just had to replace the left side bulb, the Toyota dealer will not cover under warranty due to the vehicle being out of warranty by 5 months. There are many, many Prius owners with headlight problems. This is a safety issue that Toyota knows about but refuses to help once the warranty expires. I request that NHTSA investigate the Toyota headlight problem. We Prius owners feel this is a defect and a very important safety issue that Toyota should correct or reimburse Prius owners that have paid for repairs after the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty period.

- Lorton, VA, USA

Aug 012007

Prius

Same intermittent problem as expressed by countless others on this site and beyond: 2006 Prius hid headlights blink out randomly. Turning switch off and on again restores light until next occurrence. History: Driver's side headlight intermittent after 30,000 miles. Repeated complaints to dealer, finally replaced bulb at 38,000 miles. Handled under warranty. Passenger side headlight intermittent around 50,000 miles. After repeated complaints to dealer, "starter bulb" was replaced at 54,000 miles - also handled under warranty. Moved to new address - so new dealer. Received lame Toyota letter that pretends to address the situation by lowering the cost of the part, while not addressing that this part should not be failing in this way or as quickly as it is! present situation: Driver's side headlight again intermittent - around 80,000 miles. Asked dealer to investigate at last service (87,000). "no problem found" "bring it back when it's totally out" "if headlight is the same one that falls into special category of lights, it'll be $150 plus labor" "but it could be 1 of 2 different lights which will be $300+ or $600+ - we won't know until we pull it apart." Even though I purchased extended warranty coverage, the headlights are excluded. Even though previously-replaced bulb is only slightly older than original problem. Problem is that Toyota is not taking real responsibility for the level of problem that this is. They should be covering labor costs, extending warranties and providing a new replacement light that actually works! I believe new Prius uses leds. Charging less money on an already exorbitantly overpriced part and requiring customers to pay more out-of-pocket for a part that doesn't work properly to begin with is outrageous! the investigation must be continued. Toyota is not serving their customers and it is unsafe and at an unreasonable cost. There is absolutely no excuse for this behavior. Do not let them get away with this.

- Claremont, CA, USA

Jan 262010

Prius

Recently both headlights on my Prius began winking off at random. Turning the lights off and then back on again will result in both headlights being but moments (sometimes seconds) later one of them will turn off. (so far neither have both turned off at the same time.) I took my car to the Toyota dealership after being told by my usual mechanic that they did not have the tools to "get to" the Prius headlight to replace it. The Toyota dealership informed me that the cost of replacing both front headlights (only) if $475. $170 per light and the rest of that is for the labor as they have to remove the front bumper, etc. After doing a little research online I see that this same issue (the headlight "winking") seems pretty common and so I'm reporting my experience.

- Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Jan 022010

Prius

Hid lighting giving problems on 2006 Prius. They will occasionally blink or go off entirely. Less than 20K miles on the car.

- 5, IL, USA

Jan 012010

Prius

Several weeks ago, I noticed that the hi headlights on my 2006 Toyota Prius were intermittently cutting out while driving. Both headlights have had this happen but not at the same time. Turning the lights off and on again seems to correct the problem. Problem happens occasionally (once or twice a week). Vehicle at dealership now for diagnostic and headlight replacement. This has been reported to Toyota. Case number with them is 1001131933.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Dec 152009

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius. First my passenger side headlight flickers and goes out. I get it fixed at the dealer and then the drivers side headlight does the same thing. About a year later and again my passenger side light is out (yes if I turn the light off and back on, it comes back on again, but only for a few minutes). Then again sometimes it goes out completely. The car was under warranty the first two times... now it's not! yes I got the notice about the price change for the headlight.... but I think this is a defective equipment issue and has to be a safety issue! I know other owners have reported the same type problem!

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Jan 182010

Prius

2006 Prius headlights fail while driving. First just one, then the other. Do I have to have an accident before I can report this absurd safety failure. It happens every day when I'm driving in or driving home.

- Alameda`, CA, USA

Nov 152009

Prius

Headlight intermittent failure then full failure.

- Laguna Beach, CA, USA

Jan 152010

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius with approximately 46,000 miles. For the last year, the headlight on the driver side has worked intermittently & have to turn the headlights off and back on to make it turn back on again. The same thing is now occurring on the passenger side. It appears that this is a widespread problem that Toyota is more than aware about.

- Astoria, NY, USA

Aug 312008

Prius

Was pulled over by a policeman in August 2008 for having a headlight out. The headlight had been working earlier that day. By the time we arrived home, the headlight was on again. This happened intermittently for eighteen months and now happens with increasing frequency, therefore I am attempting to have it fixed. When I turn off the light and then turn it on again, it works for a moment or a while.

- Anchorage, AK, USA