2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 17 of 40)

Dec 042009

Prius

Passenger side head light goes out randomly. When the lights are turned off and then back on it will work for "some" period of time, could be seconds or days. Car has been taken to the dealership multiple times for diagnostics and alleged repairs yet the problem continues. Dealer has replaced bulbs & replaced some module within the circuitry. Continues to fail.

- Canby, OR, USA

Dec 082009

Prius

Hid headlight failure on 2006 Toyota Prius. Purchased in June 2006 right headlight and control unit were replaced in June 2007 by Toyota under warranty. Right headlight and control unit failed in Dec. 2009. Now driving with right headlamp out. Hid headlamps are supposed to have twice the lifetime of normal headlamps. Headlamps should not cost $500 to replace. Toyota has an obvious design problem with their headlight system.

- Belmont, CA, USA

Dec 062009

Prius

My 2006 Toyota Prius with high intensity lightbulbs has less than 40,000 miles on it. One bulb has already been replaced and now I am having intermittent failures on another bulb. I understand NHTSA has decided not to take any action under PE09019 but have to say I don't understand your stance on this. I can be cited by police for having defective safety equipment when a bulb is out, yet you felt this did not warrant action. This problem with Prius hid headlights seems to be limited only to that vehicle model it is obviously a defect in design and it is a safety issue. Ever meet a one-lighted car or truck on a very dark two lane highway? hope you will take action to force Toyota to do a recall and correct this very dangerous issue.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Nov 262009

Prius

Approx. 50,000 miles on odometer. 2006 Toyota Prius. Right headlamp go of and an. Finally died.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 062008

Prius

The headlights on my 2006 Prius will go off for no apparent reason. Most of the time this involves only one headlight, but I have had both go off. If I turn off the lights and turn them back on the lights come back on. I've read several complaints on the internet on this problem. Clearly a safety concern.

- Hamilton, IL, USA

Nov 232009

Prius

The headlights on my 06 Prius have started going off at different times. I really have to be careful with my car now.

- Canton, NC, USA

Dec 032009

Prius

For a 2006 Prius. Twice this evening my headlights went out on their own. I was driving to a store about a mile and a half away, when a half mile from my house all lights, including headlights, went out. They did not come on until I manually turned them "off" and then on again. On the way home from the store, they went out again.

- Medford, NJ, USA

Nov 012009

Prius

The headlights on my 2006 Prius goes off while driving. Sometimes one light goes off and the other stays on. Sometimes the intensity of the lights vary. To correct the problem I have to turn my lights on and off. Also my brake light will go on and off. I have been pulled over numerous times by the police because of this problem.

- Long Beach, NY, USA

Oct 012009

Prius

The headlight (on the passenger side) intermittently goes out. I can turn the lights off for a second and then back on and it comes back on. Sometimes it will stay on for hours, sometimes it will only stay on for minutes. I had the same problem previously with the same car and Toyota replaced the bulb, ballast and headlight assembly before it stopped having the issue. Now about 20 months have passed and I am seeing the same thing again.

- Marvyille, TN, USA

Dec 022009

Prius

I own a 2006 Toyota Prius and the drivers side headlight will go on and off without warning. I took it into the dealer and it cost over $500 to replace the headlight. This a clear safety issue. Headlights that go off without warning could lead to a very dangerous circumstance. Headlights are items like windshield wipers that need frequent replacement and should not cost $500.

- Jackson, WY, USA

Nov 012008

Prius

About a year a go my passenger side headlight started turning on and off randomly on my 2006 Toyota Prius. I took my car to Toyota of berkeley I-80 junction service center to fix the problem. I was told that Toyota would be more than happy to do a full diagnostic on my car at the cost of $125 to see what the problem was but since my light was on at that time they did not think they could duplicate the problem. My passenger side headlight had been randomly turning off while I was driving and in order to get my light to turn back on I would have to stop my car, turn my lights off, then turn them back on, and occasionally this would correct the problem. Recently my headlight went out completely and I took my car to Toyota of dublin service center to have one of my headlights replaced. I was then shocked to learn that my car had hid lights that cost $400 per bulb plus labor to replace. My front bumper needed to be removed in order to get to the lights therefore it was not a simple job and would take a few hours to complete. Hearing this appalled me! when I purchased the car and the extended warranty I was never told anything about replacing the lights and how much it would cost. This is a ridiculous charge for lights that do not last three years. I believe that there is more wrong with this car than just a light that needed to be replaced. I feel that the faulty lights in the 2006 Toyota Prius are a safety hazard and need to be recalled. I am a single mother with two young children. I do not feel safe driving my car with my children, nor do I feel good about selling my car to an unknowing buyer, and I do not have the money to keep paying repair bills in the amount of $1000 or more to replace headlights! I am asking for an immediate recall of the 2006 Toyota Prius so this safety hazard can be corrected.

- Pleasanton, CA, USA

Dec 012009

Prius

I have a 2006 Prius and the headlights keep going off. One or the other or both go off while driving. Flipping the switch gets them back on for a while. The dealer tells me $420 to change the two bulbs. How can this happen in a two year old car?

- Carmel Valley, CA, USA

Nov 252009

Prius

The hid headlight on the passenger side of my 2006 Toyota Prius randomly goes off. Some times it comes back on by itself while I'm still driving some times not. It doesn't happen by any particular trend like a bump, turn, or anything else. It just goes off. Nothing I do seems to make it come back on, it just comes back randomly. It's been doing this for a while now. When it goes off my visibility at night along the roads righthand side is greatly reduced. In particular, I'm concerned that the reduced light on that side may increase my chance of not seeing a pedestrian or a deer along side the road until it's too late. I took it to the Toyota dealer and they said they don't know what's wrong but they would likely replace some headlight computer and bulb which they said would cost about $800! it shouldn't cost that much to fix a headlight that randomly goes off due to some defect in the vehicle which causes such a safety hazard for me and pedestrians on the road.

- Swannanoa, NC, USA

Nov 282009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius with hid headlights that intermittently go off. This is a problem with many Prius with the hid headlights. We had one replaced on 11/28 at a cost of $240. The other has problems also but we could not afford to get it replaced at this time. Toyota repair says light system overheats, maybe. They aren't sure.

- Compton, CA, USA

Nov 262009

Prius

Hid bulb flickering, works on and off all the time on my 2006 Toyota Prius Toyota dealer asks about 400 dollars to replace one bulb.

- Cliffside Park, NJ, USA

Nov 012009

Prius

Issue: 2006 Prius with hid headlights work intermittently 1. events: No specific events leading up to the event other than regular driving and usage of the headlights 2. failure: The passenger-side headlight goes out every time I drive the car now and reduces night time visibility. 3. corrective action: I replaced the light bulb, but the issue still remains the same. From research online, it appears that this is a common issue with Prius models between the years 2004-2007 and is linked to defects in the control units.

- Hebron, KY, USA

Jan 102009

Prius

Head light on driver side- intermittent operation. Headlight would go off during driving, come back on later. Occasionally both headlights would go off. Took car to Toyota dealer for replacement of driverside light. They found nothing wrong with car/wiring passengerside headlight. With new driverside headlight car worked fine for 8 months. Then driverside headlight started with above problem. Old headlight is still available.

- Hershey, PA, USA

Oct 052009

Prius

The left headlight on my 2006 Prius goes out, but will come back on if I turn the lights off and back on. This occurs randomly while driving, often being undetectable until a reflective situation comes up and the light is noticed.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Nov 242009

Prius

2006 Prius high-intensity discharge (hid) lamps cut out - turning the lights off and on will temporarily fix the problem. First passenger side in September 2008 at around 50K miles, now driver side November 2009 at 60812 miles - vehicle is at dealership right now so I do not have access to the VIN. Both times the dealer replaced at no charge (lawrenceville Toyota, 2871 rt 1, lawrenceville, New Jersey 08648 609-883-4200). I just wanted it reported because it seemed a safety hazard and there appears to be others experiencing this issue as well.

- Marlton, NJ, USA

Oct 152009

Prius

Hid headlights on 2006 Prius fail at random. Auto purchased in May 2006. First failure in November 2007 at 29,015 miles; right headlight. Bulb replaced by dealer at no charge. Second failure in August 2008 at 42,930 miles; left headlight. Computer sub-assembly replaced under extended warranty, bulb replaced at cost of $375 by consumer. Third failure in October 2009 at 67,183 miles; left headlight. Not repaired at this time. Sub-assembly will still be covered by extended warranty but bulb will not. This is same light that failed a year ago. I believe this is a serious safety issue. Headlights failing at night are not a good thing.

- Montpelier, VT, USA