2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 18 of 40)

Nov 182009

Prius

Both headlights on my 2006 Toyota Prius shut off while I was driving at night.

- Tuscarora, MD, USA

Aug 012009

Prius

Hid headlight on driver side started randomly turning off at about 50,000 miles on my 2006 Prius, unbeknownst to driver. If I happen to notice the light has gone out, and I turn the light switch all the way off and back on, the light will usually relight. I am constantly watching the reflection of my headlights in car bumpers on traffic traveling in front of me as well as making notice of my headlights' reflection in store windows, etc. To see if they are both on. This is extremely distracting and dangerous. Toyota dealer here in N.C. appeared to be totally oblivious to the complaints Toyota has received and said he can fix control module for $450 and replace light bulb for $135 since it is "normal wear and tear." This is not normal wear and tear. The Prius hid headlamp installation is defective. As more 2006 Prius owners like me approach the 50,000 mile mark, this defect has the potential to become far more dangerous and deadly than a loose floormat.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Nov 202009

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius headlight problem. While driving at night there was an obvious click and the headlights shut off. Turned the car off and restarted it and the headlights come back on and work for a period of time (length undetermined but this happened on more than one occasion). One or another of the head lights work intermittently.with no obvious pattern. Last night the left head light was out. I backed up the vehicle and it came back on. The same thing has happened with the right head light on occasion. There appears to be no identifiable pattern to the issue. Since this is a safety issue and my web search has indicated others are experiencing the same issue it would seem to be an item of interest that should be corrected by Toyota via a recall. The seriousness of the issue cannot be understated. Driving down the highway and having the lights go totally out for no identifiable reason is dangerous. I called the Toyota dealer and they said the head lights need to be replaced. It seems impossible for me to believe that this is the issue as the dash panel light also went out..this is not going to be corrected one customer at a time dealing with Toyota. Replacing the head lights on the Prius is a $ 450 job. $300 for the bulbs and $150 labor. I would not be concerned about the $'s if I firmly believed it was a high light issue. I was driving the vehicle and heard the click and the lights go out. I pulled of the interstate. Turned the power off and restarted the car and the headlights worked for the remainder of the trip (about 45 minutes) with no issues. This does not sound like a head light problem.

- St Simons Island, GA, USA

Nov 192009

Prius

I recently both a used 2006 Toyota Prius from a private seller and in more than one occasion, the headlights would go out intermittently while I'm driving - sometimes one at a time, but sometimes both would go out. I had to cycle the switch to turn them back on. Out of curiosity, I went in the internet to find out how I can fix this problem, and that's when I found out that there had been numerous cases of Prius headlight problems, particularly with 2005-2008 models. I also found out that Toyota dealerships are charging on average anywhere from $400 to $1,000 just to replace headlight bulbs, and I'm not about to fall for that. I don't believe this is a lightbulb problem because the headlights would come back on after cycling the switch. This appears to be a design problem common to '05-'08 models - something with the electrical system. This is definitely a safety issue that needs to be addressed and resolved by Toyota asap. I'm surprised that no recall has been issued yet. Is Toyota waiting for someone to die or get badly injured before they send out a recall? one can easily drive off a cliff while driving in the dark with no headlights on. (fyi, the incident date I have below is the most recent occurrence of this problem.)

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Nov 182009

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius headlights went out without warning about 65,000 miles. Turning switch off then on again restored light for a very short while. Then it went off again. Happened first with the right headlight 3 months ago now recently last two weeks the left headlight same problem.

- Chevy Chase, MD, USA

Jul 012009

Prius

I own a 2006 Toyota Prius. One of the headlights flicks off, and then turns off while driving. I have to completely turn off both headlights and turn them back on to have the defected one to work again.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Nov 172009

Prius

Headlight stops working all of a sudden. When you turn it on then off it works again. Does this continuously, I never know when they are out.

- Euclid, OH, USA

Aug 012006

Prius

Failure of hid headlights. Starting at about 15,000 miles my driver side headlight starting going out on occasion, I figured out I could turn the headlights off and on and it would reset. Other Toyota vehicles that are equipped with hid's all have on auto sensors on the headlights so one can't turn them off, not so on the Prius. I find that interesting, because if one can turn the lights off and on, one would be able to "easily" and quickly remedy the situation of not having headlights. Seems to me that Toyota knew about this problem before the car was even in the market. The problem got increasingly worse over the next 3000 miles, at times my passenger side would go out at the same time leaving me with no headlights, that's both dangerous for me and other motorists. I was going on a night drive from St cloud Minnesota through Montana in winter so I went to the dealership in St cloud mn to fix it. They told me since the light/S wasn't out at the time they couldn't do anything. I had to drive I-94 in the snow, wind, and ice with my headlights going out! I got back after the trip without the headlight on for about 50 miles just to show the dealership. After a lot of noise at the dealership they agreed to pay for the "repairs" (over $400). But since the problem didn't appear with the passenger side light they couldn't fix that. When I went back the dealership after I got pulled over for not have headlights they informed me that my manufactures original warranty was up I would have to pay the $450 it was going to cost, and my extended platinum coverage would not cover it either. The "fix" on the drivers side only lasted to about 28,000 miles which was about 5,000 miles after the "fix". ever since then I have been driving with or without headlights (it's hard to tell at night in a city!) there is so many reasons why this defect is against the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard that a recall should be issued immediately!

- St Cloud, MN, USA

Nov 012009

Prius

Prius headlamp(s) intermittently go out while driving much before the lifespan of the bulb. This appears to be a widespread issue. www.hybridcars.com/forums/replacing-headlight-bulb-T910.html.

- Jackson, MO, USA

Nov 162009

Prius

I purchased a new 2006 Prius in July 2006. Prior to the warranty expiring (about 30,000 miles), I noticed that one or the other head light would turn off. Turning the head lights off and on again caused the light to turn on again. I was driving to work at night on a very curvy road and both lights turned off at the same time. Turning the lights switch off and on caused the lights to come one again. The Toyota dealer admitted that there had been a batch of defective bulbs. I had the lights replaced under warranty. At 59,000 miles the same problem is starting over. Only one light at the moment, but I expect the other one to start doing the same thing. Driving with one head light is very dangerous as well as subjecting you to an equipment violation ticket.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Sep 012009

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius hid head lights are suddenly turning off while driving, and to correct the problem I have to turn the lights off then back on again. But they will fail at least 30 times in a hour, while driving.

- Alta Loma, CA, USA

Apr 172009

Prius

Right headlight intermittent failure. The headlight goes out intermittently without warning. Comes back on again (for awhile) when lights are switched on and off. Based on internet research, I think this is a common manufacture defect affecting safety.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Nov 122009

Prius

At 42,000 miles, my 2006 Prius headlights will switch off while driving. The driverside hid headlight will turn off between 1:30 - 3:00 minutes of driving. The issue can be corrected by switching the lights off and turning them on again; however, the headlight will turn off again after a few minutes. At one point, the driverside headlight went out and then a few seconds later the passenger headlight went out meaning I had no running headlights on the interstate at night. Turning off and turning on the headlights corrected the issue - only to have it happen again. The headlights will turn off at any speed - 10-75 mph. The driverside headlight was replaced by the dealership as part of my used car purchase. This defect was found 4 days after purchase; the car is going back to the dealership for hopeful repair.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Oct 152009

Prius

Problem with headlights in a 2006 Prius - first the diver side headlight when out intermittently and after that was replaced the passenger side headlight now goes out intermittently.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Oct 312009

Prius

I own a 2006 Toyota Prius and the hid headlight defect failure happened to us during night time driving almost causing a severe accident. This is a hazard and there are many complaints regarding this. Some one will die if this is not recalled and corrected. These headlights are advertised to have twice the lifetime of a regular headlight and go out randomly. It is very scary and is a danger to anyone driving these cars. We had the headlights replaced on 11/4/09 for a total cost of $590.32.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

Jan 102008

Prius

Hid headlights fail without warning. Both my headlights failed before 36,000 miles. They were replaced within warranty, and now at 70,000 miles they are failing again. They work fine when they are first started, but can "turn off" at any time without warning.

- Mcconnellsburg, PA, USA

Nov 082009

Prius

Intermittent failure of right headlamp on 2006 Toyota Prius. Headlamp goes out and various times and various driving conditions. Turning off headlamps and back on resets the headlamp. The headlamp will again go out and have to be reset.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Jan 012009

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius. Beginning at approximately 45,000 miles right front hid headlight would go out without notice. By turning off the headlights and turning back on, it the headlight would relight. Started intermittently, then constantly until replacement 11/3/09 ($200). One week later, the left front headlight began doing the same thing. I drive on dark, rural roads with deer and other wildlife. This defect is extremely dangerous. Have read news reports about hundreds of complaints about this problem.

- Batavia, IL, USA

Nov 092009

Prius

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius with package #8 which includes high intensity discharge (hid) headlamps. The passenger side front headlamp keeps going out. I have taken it to the Toyota dealer twice before and the tech was not able to duplicate the problem. I took photos of when the light is out as proof. I took it in again today and the tech tells me that the bulb needs to be replaced and its going to cost $500 for one lightbulb + install labor!!! I bought the platinum extended warranty which doesn't expire until Feb 2012 or 100K miles. Of course, the warranty does not cover the electrical/light issue. The light sometimes works. There is no rhyme or reason why it does some of the time and not others. This appears to be a defect which Toyota should do something about. It's a major safety issue. I am fearful of driving at night because it is unsafe and I can't rely on the light to work. I took it to another Toyota dealer this afternoon and that tech says I need to replace the hid computer for ~ $1,000. Are you kidding me??

- Buena Park, CA, USA

Nov 062009

Prius

Headlamps flicker intermittently until one or the other remains off. This happens every time I drive my vehicle with the lights on. 11/6/2009 I was pulled over by local leo and provided a formal warning to have the issue resolved. If I turn the headlamps off and back on, both lights stay on -- for a while. Dealer says this is a known issue with 2006 Prius but will not repair because I'm ~2 months out of warranty.

- Syracuse, UT, USA