2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 19 of 40)

Nov 032009

Prius

I have 2006 Toyota Prius. I bought the car new. When it was about 2 years old, one taillight went out. When you tapped on the light, it would come back on. When it came back on it stayed on until I was traveling to Chicago at night and I noticed that people were passing me and pointing to the back of my car. I pulled off the next exit, and both of my taillights were out. My son replaced both of them when I got to Chicago and they have not gone out to date. Then, when the car was about 3 years old, someone told me that I had a headlight out. I replaced the headlight. Three months later. I got in my car one evening in town and did not notice (because the street lights were bright) that I had no headlights. I have since found out that this is a problem with many Prius and avalon models. This is a serious safety hazard. I am thankful that I was not 2 hours out of Chicago at night this time!

- Murray, KY, USA

Dec 152008

Prius

Our 2006 Toyota Prius (60,000 miles) has a defective front head light which flickers and goes out until I turn the light switch on and off, which then keeps it on for a short time. Repair cost has been estimated at $1000. I have been told that this is a common problem, but Toyota has not recalled their Prius yet. They do not warranty the replacement part. This can cause an extreme hazard to driving on un-lit roads. The bulb on the passenger side flickers and goes out within minutes or will stay on 15 minutes or so. As of this point I have been unable to afford the cost to replace bulb.

- Marlborough, CT, USA

Nov 102008

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius - headlight (hid) failure. Started with left headlight (passenger side) at about 40,000 miles, then right headlight began to fail at about 45,000 miles. Headlights flick off while driving. One or both flick off at any time. Can turn back on by turning headlights completely off, then turning back on. But after a few minutes, decrease in intensity and flick off again. Toyota dealer has advised this is "normal", that the lights have a heat sensor and turn off when they overheat, and that I need to replace both headlight assemblies.

- Erdenheim, PA, USA

Nov 082009

Prius

I own a 2006 Prius with hid headlamps. One of the lamps has been intermittent for over well over 2 years. I have been to the dealer and have not been able to recreate the problem. When I do find out that the light is not operating, I simply turn off the lights and turn them back on and the lamp works. Not sure for how long, because I cannot see whether or not the light is working until I am behind a car where I can see the reflection.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Nov 072009

Prius

Headlight on passenger side works intermittently, been randomly since 5/07, and frequent for past few months.

- Pawcatuck, CT, USA

Oct 152009

Prius

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius with only 39000 miles on it. The passenger side headlight keeps going out and I need to keep switching the headlights off and on to get it working. It's a hid headlight and they said it would cost me $375 to change the bulb. A bulb that expensive should last more that just 39,000 miles. It's dangerous.

- Winchester, MA, USA

Nov 012009

Prius

Hid headlight in 06 Prius behaving badly.

- Gladwyne, PA, USA

Oct 272009

Prius

Purchased a 2006 Toyota Prius in 2007 and I have had continuous problems with my headlights going out. I first noticed them going out intermittently. Took it to the local dealership. And because they had to isolate the problem, I had to leave my car with the dealership for about 2 days. Three headlights later, now needing a 4th. One and the cars warranty is up. The local dealership wants approx. $270 plus sales tax to replace it. I am concerned about my safety I am wondering if there is something that can be done about this problem. Since I purchased the car used I am wondering if the dealership new about this because one of there shop people had owned it previously. This car has been in the shop on 8/07-12/07- 3/09 and now at this date (11/02 I spoke with the dealer ship about this issue) and they never mentioned that this car has had problems in this area. They just wanted 270 plus tax to fix it. Please help!

- Wenatchee, WA, USA

Oct 282009

Prius

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius with 61,000 miles on it. At about 48,000 miles, the front headlights started going out unexpectedly. At first, by turning the switch for the lights off and back on would fix the problem and the dark headlight would illuminate again. A few weeks ago, both headlights and the taillight all unexpectedly and suddenly went out while I was driving. The California highway patrol pulled me over on the freeway to find out why I was driving without any lights on. Now, the lights come on when I start driving and every time I drive the car at night, all of the lights (both headlights and both taillights) suddenly & unexpectedly go dark all at once. I was driving with my 10 year old niece in the car when this happened last week. This is an extremely dangerous defect. I have been reading that this is a known defect with Toyota Prius vehicles - I am amazed that the NHTSA has not required Toyota to recall the vehicles for this very dangerous safety defect. I have tried to take the vehicle to the Toyota dealer for repair, but they told me they didn't have a way to figure out what was wrong and they sent me away without any repairs. Today I called the Toyota national customer service number and they opened a case. I will be taking the vehicle to the dealer again today and insisting on repairs since it is completely unsafe to drive the vehicle.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 302008

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius hid headlight failure. Started with left headlight, 2 years ownership, 1st owner, new in March 2006. Left headlight flickered off, but turned back on when the lights were reset. Problem became worse over time and now both headlights constantly flicker out. Lights will come back on when turned off, then back on. Do not remain on for long. Taken to the Toyota dealership twice, dealer claims no inherent issue with the lights, not covered under my extended warranty, and will cost $850 to replace. (john elway's Toyota in Ontario, ca). Lights do not remain on and creates a hazard to driving. I have been pulled over by the California highway patrol for the burned out headlight(s).

- Lake Elsinore, CA, USA

Jun 132009

Prius

Headlamps on 2006 Prius fail intermittently. Left lamp may fail; right lamp may fail; or both may fail simultaneously. Turning the lights off then back on fixes the problem for a period of time-- maybe minutes or hours. But the problem persists and presents a danger to both the driver and passengers but also other cars on the road. No accidents so far. Repair cost to be $1500.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Sep 052009

Prius

I've got a package 6 2006 Prius. One of the headlights keeps going out. I can't really tell when or how it goes out since I can't see it. I'll notice it when I see the reflection in the back of another car. If I turn the bright lights on and off it has no effect, but when I turn them all the way off and back on the light comes back. Sometimes on long trips it will stay on the whole time, sometimes it won't. sometimes on short trips it will go out, sometimes it won't. it is not an event I can make happen. I've taken it to the dealer and they can't make it happen.

- Walnut, CA, USA

Oct 182009

Prius

I was driving home from work and it was raining and one of my headlights went out. I almost hit a road rail because it was real dark and raining. That was the first incident. The next day I was driving and one went out and then the second one went out ten minutes later. I called Toyota and brought the car in during the daylight. They said the hid bulbs get hot and burn out over time. It cost me 281 dollars. A week later same problem with the right light. However this time I almost killed my wife and I as a car was just beginning to pass me and I lost vision on the right side. Guys this is serious stuff. I'm afraid to drive this car at night. I am taking it in tomorrow during the day to have the second light replaced. The service rep was very nonchalant when I asked about the fact that two lights blew out within a week, they are hiding something. You could tell by his non-action. I asked him if this happens often and he said no. Well I have found out that is not true and it happens often. Does someone have to be killed to get the government to look into this. I intend to write my congressman and senator about this and send them information I have gathered. Please help us before we get killed in this car.

- Kimberling City, MO, USA

Oct 242009

Prius

The headlights and tail lights on my 2006 Toyota Prius have been unexpectedly shut off while driving over the past 4 months. It started with the drivers side only and then moved to both lights and now I've been told my tail light flickers also. I can correct the problem temporarily by turning the lights switch off and then on again, but if I make any turns they fail again. This past Saturday night (10/24/09) at 10 pm while on a winding country road I was veering right at about 35 miles per hour when my lights shut off completely and I heard a smack on the right side of my vehicle. I flipped my lights back on immediately and stopped at the same time. I got out of my vehicle and found a woman standing on the side of the road. She said she was fine, but my passenger side mirror hit her elbow/arm. She said she was not really injured and didn't want to call authorities or contact my insurance company. She asked why I turned my lights off when I rounded the corner. I told her I didn't, I had a short in my lighting system. She said I won't press charges, but you need to get those lights fixed.

- Cameron Park, CA, USA

Oct 242009

Prius

We purchased a new 2006 Toyota Prius. In March of 2008 both headlight bulbs were replaced by maita Toyota in sacramento ca, because the head lights would turn off without notice. The dealer paid for the service, as the parts were not covered by warranty, however the nearly $1000 repair bill was what prompted me to request the dealer to pay for the repair. Today I paid $280 to maita Toyota to replace the driver side headlight bulb again, this is 18 months after the last time it was replaced. Toyota claims these hid bulbs will last 3 times longer than standard bulbs, yet I've had 3 replaced in the past 18 months. I have old bulb from todays repair. I consider this a safety issue as it affects the headlights, and results in the headlights going out without notice. At night this could be extremely dangerous.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Oct 222009

Prius

Right headlight intermittently inoperative. Turning headlights off and back on is temporary solution. Toyota dealer replaced bulb, but obviously the bulb is not the problem since it's not burned out.

- Portland, OR, USA

Oct 162009

Prius

Hid headlamps self-extinguish while driving, requiring power switch to be cycled on and off to restart. The consequences are reduced visibility and the possibility of driving with no headlights at night. Hid headlamps are well under their design life expectancy and should not be failing. Replacement is expensive and time-consuming and according to other owners, the fix is only temporary. Been pulled over several times due to defective headlights.

- Random Lake, WI, USA

Oct 112008

Prius

After about 7 months, I started having the passenger front light of my car intermittently go off and on. If I restarted the car, it would go on to begin with, and then go off sometime while I was driving. When I would take it in to the shop, usually I had to wait a while and the car would be turned off and when the service agent would come over the light would be on and they couldn't do anything. After three fix it tickets from the police, they finally fixed it under warranty. But not long after they fixed it, the drivers side started doing the same thing. I went to the dealer and said that there must be some problem with the lights and asked if this was a known issue and they said no. They said they wouldn't cover it under the extended warranty. When I got home I looked on the internet and saw it is a known issue. I called them back and they said they weren't allowed to tell me it was a problem and they didn't tell me that I should call the national Toyota customer care. Then a week later I got another fix it ticket from the police. The problem persists till today. I am very nervous at night to drive with only one headlight. The Toyota dealership in marina del rey did nothing.

- Venice, CA, USA

Oct 222009

Prius

My headlights continue to fail, increasing number of times, I reported it when the car was under warranty they could not fix it. 20 times while driving home from the er with my grandchild at night last night both lights went out. How is this not a recallable safety issue" the dealers just charge you to replace light bulbs which does not solve the problem, so then it is not listed as a complaint to them. This problem is getting worst. Are you telling police in my area not to stop priuses because it is not a safety issue when they see us driving without a light or no headlights. Can I send this complaint to anyone else above your Agency" your form does not accept my VIN number.

- King Of Prussia, PA, USA

Oct 202009

Prius

I am very disappointed in your decision not to recall the Toyota Prius headlight problem. To start with both lights on my vehicle go out and also one light goes out just driving for no reason. I have taken it to the dealer and they changed the headlight which did not fix the problem, so I took it to another dealer who said it unfix-able even though my car was under warranty. So basically you have given them permission to have a car that lights do not remain on and cannot be fixed. This has been an ongoing problem since I got the car. Has Toyota paid off someone? there are other safety issues also in the design of this car and Toyota has no motivation to fix them because they are allowed to lie about gas mileage, not tell you about if you have a key break that your car has to be special towed, so if your parked where a flatbed cannot get you your in trouble. Also all they had to do was keep the code on file like with regular keys but they refuse to keep the code or even give it to the owner so a key can be made. Thus it cost a thousand dollars to get a new key. The date of the headlight problem is ongoing about once a week lately. Recent time is noted below. I entered VIN it would not take it.

- King Of Prussia, PA, USA