2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 2 of 40)

Nov 042014

Prius

Headlights, one or both, randomly go out while I am driving. I had the dealer look at it a year ago and they said there was nothing wrong. It continues to happen and is really scary when I discover that I am driving without lights on a busy highway. I am now taking to an independent mechanic to fix the problem. This is clearly a safety issue!

- Littleton, CO, USA

Sep 192015

Prius

Headlight goes out without warning!!!!

- Lehighton, PA, USA

Aug 242015

Prius

One of the headlights worked sporadically. It happened the same day I purchased the car used from a Toyota dealership, but I didn't notice it right away because it was daytime. The next day I went to the service department and they said I needed to replace the hid bulb which costs $300!!!!! after complaining to the dealership they replaced it at no charge, but I am concerned that this might be a recurring problem. I don't know if they replaced any associated parts or not, since the invoice they gave me just listed "engine elecrical concern" without an itemized list.

- Des Moines, WA, USA

Jul 172015

Prius

Driving along and the headlights just go out in he middle of the night. Faulty headlights.

- Salem, VA, USA

Oct 252013

Prius

This is my second Prius and both have been excellent except for the headlights on this one. It is a 2006 with hid lights. The driver's side headlight always comes on in the morning when I leave for work, but it started going off after several miles (maybe 20-30, or so). This first started happening about October, 2013. It has progressively gotten worse until the headlight now goes off in only a few miles (5 - 10). Interestingly, the headlight seemed to stay on longer during the colder weather (around zero degrees) this winter. Other than checking for a loose connection, I have not tried to have the headlight repaired or replaced. It certainly needs to be because driving in the winter darkness is a safety concern. Thank you.

- Parkersburg, WV, USA

Apr 292015

Prius 4-cyl

I have been having problems with the hid headlights since I bought this car. It's not the bulbs, there is some computer problem that is recurring. I think they need to recall this car and fix the problem.

- East Hampton, NY, USA

Nov 012013

Prius 4-cyl

The headlights of the 2006 Prius intermittently fail suddenly. This will affect either headlight, although, on occasion, both headlights unexpectedly failed while the car is in motion. The problem is temporarily fixed by turning the headlight off then on again. Several Prius owners describe this exact problem. They also describe that replacing the headlights themselves does not fix the problem.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Nov 152014

Prius 4-cyl

The right side headlight turns off intermittently. I can make it work again by turning the light switch off, then on again. I have tried to get it fixed, but the problem will not replicate at the mechanics. Therefore, I cannot get it fixed. If it was the headlight, it would not turn back on. However, I believe my car has high intensity bulbs, so I am not sure.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Mar 122015

Prius

The right headlight turned off while the vehicle was in use and now the fog lights aren't working. Sometimes it would turn on and sometimes it wouldn't work at all. You just don't know when it will happen.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 162011

Prius 4-cyl

Headlights quit working about once a year. (each at different times) seals have been checked; no moisture getting in.

- Springtown, TX, USA

Mar 032015

Prius 4-cyl

Right headlight went out while driving at night, reducing visibility to only nearly 20%-30%. this is very annoying and dangerous as the vehicle may be taken for a motorcycle especially in parking lot as others might mistake the vehicle width and resulting in collision. However, the light is restored by flickering on and off. This also occurred while driving on the freeway at high speed. Flickering maybe be a hassle while driving at such speed.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 112014

Prius 4-cyl

My 2006 Toyota Prius headlight goes off when driving. It flickers first and then goes off. Sometimes one light goes off and sometimes both of them. When I turn the light off and turn it back on headlights work again. But after a while they turn off again. They stay on steady after I drive for more than an hour in long trips and after turning it off and then on again several times.

- Putnam, CT, USA

May 062014

Prius 4-cyl

My 2006 Toyota Prius headlight goes out when driving. Somrtimes, one light goes off and sometimes both goes off. When I turn the light off and turn it back on they re-light.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Dec 152014

Prius

Passenger side headlight goes out after being on for five minutes and can not be repaired.

- Easton, MD, USA

Feb 152011

Prius 4-cyl

Was driving on very dark street. My headlights seemed very dim so I switched them to bright. Both immediately went off. My service dealer stated that they both went out and wanted to charge more than $300 to replace. After much discussion replaced for cost of labor. I subsequently received a letter informing me of a recall or possible problem with the lights and Toyota would replace. I submitted my invoice and received a refund. However, once again they are not operating properly. Sometimes they are on, others they are off or one will be out and the other working. Condensation has built up and changing the bulb has not helped. I have now been told it will cost me about $1000 to have lights repaired.

- New Orlenas, LA, USA

Nov 142014

Prius

We have owned this 2006 Prius since new. We have replaced the headlights many times. This last incident was similar to the rest. The headlight on the right would go out but it was an intermittent loss. There was an ability to get it on again by flicking the headlights on and off. After a week of this, the second headlight started to do the same resulting in total headlight failure. This could also be remedied by flicking the headlights on and off.

- Monterey, CA, USA

Oct 152014

Prius 4-cyl

Left headlight goes out. I have to turn both headlights off, and then turn them back on for left one to work again. I had this problem years ago, and the dealership replaced lamp for $600, but now I'm noticing the problem again. Very dangerous ! dps thinks it's dangerous, too, judging from warnings I'm collecting.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 142014

Prius

Right passenger headlight went out. Was able to get it back on by turning the lights off and on. On the drive to the dealer to get it fixed, left driver side headlight went out. Again able to get it back on by turning it off and on. Dealer checked over the car and only replaced the right passenger side headlight even though I told them both had been out. They said there was nothing wrong with the left drivers side headlight. Drove away from dealer and the left drivers side headlight went out after I drove less than 1 mile. Went back to the dealer, but did not turn the lights off and on. He could not believe it, but the light was out. Had the left drivers side headlight replaced. Is this some kind of electrical problem? this could be very dangerous if both went out while driving!

- Belle Mead, NJ, USA

Oct 132014

Prius

Driving down a dark road both my headlight went out. I almost wrecked. I then turned them on an off and they came back on. This is the second 2006 Toyota Prius we have owned with the same issue. There should be a recall....does someone need to die over this common issue?

- Beaverdam, VA, USA

Jul 102012

Prius 4-cyl

The headlights will shut off randomly while I am driving, the solution I have found is to flip the switch on and off again and they turn back on, but this only works temporarily and they soon shut off again. This can be very dangerous especially when driving on a dark road at night along a curve. The Toyota specialists recommended that I replace the bulbs but that did not fix the problem.

- Del Mar, CA, USA