2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 21 of 40)

Sep 012009

Prius

Headlight failure on late 2000 model year Toyota Prius. Hid headlights are repeatedly failing, usually both at once causing the driver to find him/herself in total darkness. Second set of replacement headlights in 18 months, costing $1,000 per set to replace.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Sep 152009

Prius

Headlight bulbs turn off intermittently, usually the passenger side. When light switch is turned off then back on the light will work. At least one time both lights went off at night leaving no visibility for several seconds while I turned off then on the switch. This was very hazardous at 55 mph. It appears there is a wide spread problem with these lamps and should be recalled by Toyota. Dealer replacement of the two bulbs will run more than $400.

- Chico, CA, USA

Jul 262009

Prius

Passenger side hid headlight goes off after a few minutes of driving. Can turn off and back on and they will stay on for a few minutes. Numerous other complaints on the internet of the same issue.

- Fountain Inn, SC, USA

Sep 162009

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius headlights go out. First my right headlight would go off while driving. At times it worked. One night I was driving home on a very dark street and my headlights were so dim I could hardly see. I then turned on my brights and the lights went out completely. I have checked my lights while car was parked and the same problems occurred, including the bright lights going out.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Sep 152009

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius hid failure for unknown reasons. Headlights work intermittently. Deal says to just replace bulb that is not correcting the problem. Works one minute then out the next.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Dec 302008

Prius

No injuries yet, but with headlights continuing to go out, it is only a matter of time. I just hope it isn't me or my kids. www.hybridcars.com/forums/replacing-headlight-bulb-T910.html.

- Orangeburg, SC, USA

Aug 252009

Prius

I own a 2006 Toyota Prius. The headlights go out intermittently. First the drivers side next the passenger side. If I turn off the lights they will come back on. Sometimes I can't tell if a headlight is out until I pull up to a window or behind another auto. Last night both headlights went out. I turned off the lights and they came back dim. Thank god I have fog lights as it was late and needed to get home asap. I don't know when my lights will work and when they wont. Toyota dealership says they are aware of this problem and I need the bulbs replaced (cost of $300) and from my internet research I have found this to be a common (scary) problem. Most people replace the bulbs only to have the problem persist (leading to other expensive repairs) and not feeling confident and safe in their auto. Again, the lights just go off suddenly which is a huge safety issue.

- Crozet, VA, USA

Jun 212006

Prius

2006 Toyota pruis headlight failure. On going problem with one of the head lights spontaneously turning off. Taken to dealer and they said it was a bulb issue. Bulb replaced for approx $200 but it did not resolve the issue. When one of the bulbs does burn out there is a real probability that there will be no headlights. This is not right and needs to be addressed and corrected by Toyota.

- Napa, CA, USA

Sep 252009

Prius

Intermittent front headlight loss on my 2006 Toyota Prius. Loss occurs soon after drive begins. Headlight can often be regained by tuning lights off then back on.

- Moreehad City, NC, USA

Aug 072009

Prius

My 2006 Toyota Prius experiences problems with its drivers-side hid headlight. It is very expensive to replace this ($299 at the Toyota dealer). Investigating this on the internet turned up hundreds of posts about the same exact issue, often on the 2006 model year Toyota Prius. The light randomly turns on and off - which is a major safety issue, not to mention the expense of getting it replaced. We were not even aware of the problem until we were stopped by the police and given a warning to get the headlight replaced. With so many other owners of the Toyota Prius having the exact same issue, I wonder why Toyota is not issuing a recall. To add insult to injury, the dealer was not even sure if the problem was with the headlight or with the "computer" that controlled it. I was told today that they would first replace the headlight (for $299) and if that did not resolve the problem, they would have to replace the computer for an as-yet undisclosed cost. Please investigate this and urge Toyota to recall the headlights and/or the "computers". thanks mohan

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Aug 232009

Prius

I own a 2006 Toyota Prius with hid headlights. Over the last month, or so, the driver's side light goes out while I'm driving. The only fix I've found is to turn the lights off, then on again. The lights will then remain on for approx. 10-20 minutes, at which time the same light goes out again. The problem seems to be happening more often as time passes and the time the problem repeats itself is getting shorter. I tried to have the dealer look at it, under warranty, but was told that they would charge me a $100 "inspection fee." Since then, I've heard of many other Prius owners that experience the same problem. I believe this is a safety recall issue that needs to be addressed by Toyota and/or NHTSA.

- Highland, CA, USA

Aug 112009

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius headlight began intermittently failing 3 days after my 36-mo. Warranty ended. Rate of failure steadily increasing. Car had under 28K miles at time of first failure. Online research shows me that this is a widespread safety and design problem that Toyota generally ignores and expects the consumer to pay outrageous sums to repair. I am about to report my problem to Toyota, but wanted first to add my voice to the hundreds of others complaining to the NHTSA., in the hope that Toyota will be forced to do a recall to fix this dangerous safety problem in its cars.

- Palo Alto, CA, USA

Sep 192009

Prius

I own a 2006 Toyota Prius...both head lights go out while driving at night. Sometimes one goes out, then the other goes out, and then sometimes both go out. I have to turn the switch off then back on to reset the lights. Sometimes the lights would flicker, then extinguish completely. Sometimes I don't know they are extinguished until I come up on another car. This is an extremely dangerous situation, I notice this is a problem on many Prius'. please take this situation seriously before someone is killed! thank you.

- Port Orchard, WA, USA

Sep 192009

Prius

The driver's side headlight simply goes out. This started after approximately 37,000 miles. The headlight was replaced under warranty once and now it is happening again. Once while on vacation in New Mexico on a two lane road at night it happened and when I turned off and on the headlights, both lights remained out. I stopped and was very close to the edge of the road and switched the headlights on and off again and they came back on. This was a very scary incident. I'm tired of going to the dealership and having them propose solutions that cost from hundreds to over a thousand dollars to resolve. Within the past month, I have been stopped by a state trooper because of the headlight being out. When I explained the situation, cycled the headlights off then on, he saw that both headlights came on and gave me a verbal warning instead of a citation. This is a hazard that is well known, but Toyota chooses not to deal with it. That attitude and situation needs to be resolved before people get hurt. Below, I'm providing today?S date because it is constant and ongoing.

- Gleneden Beach, OR, USA

Sep 012009

Prius

When the headlights are turned on, the left headlight on my 06 Prius is randomly flickering, or turning off, or turning on. The failure occurs frequently, and unpredictably. The right headlight is not exhibiting those symptoms now, but I'm concerned that I could find myself driving down the road at night and have both headlights turn off. I am taking the car to the dealer to get this repaired tomorrow. I got the dealer to provide the replacement bulb for free, but I will have to pay for a couple of hours of labor. You already have a report on this that you closed, NHTSA action number PE09019. I don't think that report should be closed, and Toyota should do a voluntary recall to fix what is clearly a design problem. Thanks!

- Belmont, CA, USA

Jan 132007

Prius

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. He stated that intermittently the headlights failed. Occasionally, he was able to immediately turn them back on; however, an impairment of visibility while driving increased the risk of a vehicle crash. He was advised by an authorized technician that the failure is common among his model type. The vehicle has not been inspected to determine the cause of the failure nor has the vehicle been repaired. The vehicles identification number was unavailable. The failure mileage was 12000. The current mileage was 46000.

- Knox, PA, USA

Sep 172009

Prius

Re: 2006 Toyota - Prius both head lights go out while driving at night. Sometimes one goes out, then the other goes out, and then sometimes both go out. I have to toggle the switch to reset the lights. Sometimes the lights would flicker, then extinguish completely. This is a high risk driving situation, especially when driving at highway speeds & I encounter curves in the road.

- Hopewell Junction, NY, USA

Apr 102009

Prius

Intermittent failure of hid headlights on my 2006 Prius, beginning spring 2009. This problem is unexplainable - the bulb is not burned out but only works sometimes. This is a safety hazard at night. First happened on passenger side. Had Toyota dealer replace the bulb, which seems to have solved the problem on that side. But same problem began on driver's side shortly after passenger side was fixed. I have read that other Prius owners have experienced same problem, indicating a manufacturing defect.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 012009

Prius

I own a 2006 Prius and I have been noticing my hid lamps randomly flicker off these past few weeks. The failure occurs everytime I turn on my headlights. I have not done anything to correct the failure yet but am going to go to my dealership to get it looked at.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

May 072009

Prius

My Toyota Prius has developed headlight problems that can't be permanently fixed without costly work. The headlights turn off intermittently for no reason. It usually can be rectified by turning off the lights and turning them back on. However, this has had some serious consequences. In one case an oncoming car thought my vehicle was a motorcycle nearly clipping my car. I was furious and the driver stopped to explain. I didn't even know my left headlight was off. In another case I was distracted by the light problem and turning off and on the lights that I nearly drove through a red light. This is very dangerous and it's left me without any sense of security that my lights are working or when they might fail again. It's a sporadic problem that happens with both headlights, usually one at a time. In the past month it's occurred at least once every night that one or the other light has turned off. At times I don't even know it's off.

- Irvine, CA, USA