2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 24 of 40)

Jun 182009

Prius

My headlamps on my Toyota Prius go out by itself ( sometimes on the right) and sometimes on the left. If I turn the lights on and off again it comes back on. But in the middle of driving it just cuts out by itself. I was surprised that there was not a recall from Toyota when I called the dealer. They said they have had quite a few other owners with the same problem. I actually had this happen many many months ago when my brother said my headlight was out, I turned it off and on and went to look at it was fine. Did not think much of it, until now when my uncle driving in front of me told me that my light went out in the middle of driving.

- La, CA, USA

Jul 292009

Prius

The hid headlamps on my 2006 Prius go out intermittently. I have to turn the headlights off and back on. I am currently on my second set of headlamps. The drivers side headlamp was replaced but the bulb continues to go out at random.

- Riverside, CA, USA

May 012008

Prius

The hid (high intensity discharge) headlights on my 2006 Toyota Prius are failing. Turning them on and off will usually result in them lighting up, but they will go out again. I understand this to be common with this model. It started at approx 40,000 miles with the driver-side, and this spring the passenger side also started to go out. The car now has about 53,000 miles.

- Chatham, NJ, USA

Apr 182009

Prius

Toyota Prius 2006 high intensity discharge headlights. Left side went out at 35,000 miles and was replaced under warrenty. Right side went out at 38,000 and was no longer under warrenty, replacement cost was $700.

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Prius

Passenger headlights of 2006 Prius are turn off at random times. When this happens, lights must be turned all the way off and on again to have lights come on. (which indicates the bulb is not burnt out).

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Jul 222009

Prius

Headlights are dropping out and need to be turned off/on very frequently to illuminate the roadway at night. Both headlights are dropping out more frequently than in the past at the same time which causes a very hazardous driving condition especially for other drivers on the roadway and those unfamiliar with the Toyota Prius hid failure problem. This is an extremely common problem on 2006 and 2007 Toyota Prius with hid and there are hundreds if not thousands of complaints regarding these failures. The media is finally covering this somewhat but is it going to take an injury or worse yet a death to cause something to be done about it? individual drivers like myself are attempting to keep our cars safe and road worthy but at a cost of anywhere between $500 - $2000 to have "working headlights" that may only last a few months or a year and then need replaced again we can not incur these costs. With an approximate 1.5 to 2 hours (Toyota specification) to change a bulb and requiring special tools (Toyota specification) owners almost have no choice but to take the car to a Toyota specific dealership. Please, please, please escalate this investigation and issue a recall for Toyota Prius hid bulbs for the 2006 - 2009 model years. You have noticed that the new "improved" 2010 Toyota Prius does not use hid bulbs at any trim level correct? Toyota knows of this problem which is why they stopped using the hid's. now something needs to be done about it to correct the issue on the 2006 - 2009 vehicles. Thank you in advance for your quick and courteous reconciliation of this issue. Regards, chris barr

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Jun 152009

Prius

We have experience front headlight bulb failure twice on our 2006 Toyota Prius. One failure in March 2008 and again June 2009. In both cases, the lights went out and could only be restored by turning the front headlights off completely and turning them back on again to fail a short time later. Both had to be replaced at a substantial cost of approximately $400 plus the danger of having to reactivate the lights while driving at night and multiple police stops due to the failed light. Two times in one evening alone.

- Orford, NH, USA

May 172009

Prius

Intermittent headlight failure while driving at night. Was told by Toyota service department the right side headlight was bad. Dealership cost prohibitive so I bought 4 replacement bulbs. Replaced both bulbs myself, fairly easy to do. Passenger side bulb continued to go off every now and then. Brought back to dealer. Dealer replaced passenger side balast. Said lights ok. Drove to work next morning, bulbs worked great on 19 July 09. Started to drive to work on the morning of 20 July 2009 and passenger side light failed and blew apart. Dealership claims it's the bulb's although the driver's side bulb is just fine.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Prius

Headlight on 2006 Toyota Prius intermittently dies causing a safety issue.

- Orange, CA, USA

Mar 152009

Prius

After owning my used 2006 Toyota Prius for a week, I had my 1st incident: I was driving down the road at night, and right headlight went out, while left headlight remained on. Turned the headlight switch to 'off' position, and then to 'on' position. The headlight came back on for about 5 minutes, and then went off again. About 2 weeks later, I started having the same issue with both headlights. I used the same method as above in order to get the headlights to come back on. It does not seem to matter whether or not I have just started the car, or whether it has been running for a while... the bulbs go out when the car is 'cold' and when it has been running for a while. I took the car to my regular mechanic to see if it was the bulb, etc. ( as electrical problems will not be covered under my used car warranty ). I almost wrecked the car going around a dark curve in the road the other day, when both headlights went out. I have also been pulled over twice for improper equipment... but fortunately, I was not fined. I expect that I will eventually get a fine if this problem doesn't get fixed... or worse... I could have a wreck and be killed... as most of the driving I do is at night, and often... I drive on country roads that have no street lights... not to mention... deer running out in the road.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Prius

While driving my 2006 Toyota Prius the lights flicker and sometimes go off.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Jul 192009

Prius

My 2006 Toyota Prius headlights go off unexpectedly while driving. When I notice one going off, I turn the lights off then on again and the light comes back on. Only one goes off at a time. Most often it is the left light, but sometimes the right. I have received one ticket already. This has been going on for six months. My father's 2007 Prius has the exact same problem. Toyota replaced his small battery, but he still has the problem.

- Prince Frederick, MD, USA

Apr 302009

Prius

2nd headlight problem to report. 1. normal driving. 2. right headlight turns off at random times. This is in addition to left headlight problem reported earlier.. have notices several instances where both headlights were off at the same time. I do not drive after dark very much at this time of year, problem becomes apparent when pulling into garage or when noticing reflections. 3. turning the headlights of and on again initiates a restart. Problem recurrence is random.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius. My headlights failed on mountain road without any warning. I was doing about 50mph and swerved into the shoulder to avoid going off cliff. This vehicle is a death trap after dark and somebody is going to lose their life because Toyota doesn't seem to take this seriously. I called their consumer hotline an was told I would have to foot the bill of nearly $900. I was then told by Toyota to have the car repaired and they would reimburse me. I found a Toyota dealer to do repair for $502 and now Toyota tells me this was not a participating dealer even though it was an authorized factory Toyota dealer. It truly seems like Toyota is trying to avoid this problem. I now want to sell this car asap but am concerned for the safety of the person who will ultimately buy it from me. I'm wondering if I could face a lawsuit for knowingly selling a car with this serious safety defect ? please help us !!!

- Corona, CA, USA

Jun 102009

Prius

Headlights turn on and off, one at a time with out rhyme or reason. Sometimes the passenger hl will be out, sometimes the drivers side, other times both are on.

- Pensacola , FL, USA

Jul 082009

Prius

We own a 2006 Toyota pruis. The headlights turn off. We had the same issue repaired about 2 yrs ago when the car was relatively new. Now it's back. Looking on the web, there is significant anecdotal evidence that there is a significant design flaw with the lights. There are literal thousands of pointing on this particular issue. It is not a major financial problem for us as the first was fixed under warranty and we bought the extend warranty that cover this also, but it is a safety hazard as the lights will eventually totally go out when driving. To restore them, you have to rotate the light switch from on to off and back on. My guess is they have a problem with the circuit card, but aren't doing anything to deal with it. It would be interesting to know if Toyota changed the circuit card design.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Apr 122009

Prius

Approximately 2 mos ago the driver headlight began to flicker then fail, intermittently but regularly each time it was turned on. I would be able to get it to come back on by turning my lights off then on again. A few weeks ago the passenger side headlight began to do the same thing. Now everytime I use the lights, one, the other or both at the same time will fail, forcing me to do the of/on thing to re-engage them. They will both fail again shortly thereafter.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Jul 172009

Prius

Driver's side hid headlamp shuts off after being on for a short time. Turning the headlamps off and back on restarts the headlamp. This started at around 40,000 miles and now the passenger's side headlamp is occasionally showing the same symptoms.

- Apex, NC, USA

Aug 202008

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius has had headlights on both sides replaced due to intermittent operation which can be temporarily recovered by turning the headlight switch off then back on. All Toyota wants to do is replace bulbs when the bulb obviously is not the problem. I am sure they are being disingenuous with customers in an attempt to postpone the inevitable. It is way past time for a recall - please!

- Irvine, KY, USA

Jul 102009

Prius

My 06 Toyota Prius has the hid headlamps. At about 40,000 miles the left hand lamp began going out at odd times and coming back on again by turning the switch off and on again. Before I got Toyota to agree to replace them (at $850) I was driving down a dark road with no moon at night and they both went out on a turn. That was when I increased my complaints and they replaced them at Toyota cost. The car now has about 76,000 miles and the left lamp is acting the same way. I will replace the lamp and complain to Toyota, but feel this is a safety issue and the lamps should be redesigned or recalled en-masse.

- Richmond, VA, USA