2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 28 of 40)

Jan 012009

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius driver side headlight flickers and goes off. It restarts if I turn on and off the headlights.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Dec 102007

Prius

My 2006 Toyota Prius began experiencing sudden headlight failure after 20,000 miles. I would be driving at night and suddenly both headlights would go out, I would switch them off and on again, and they would come back on. Sometimes I would be driving on city streets, not aware that they had gone off, and other drivers would stop me and tell me that my headlights were off. I would check the switch, see that they were supposed to be on, toggle the switch and they would come on. I took the car to my local Toyota dealer where I have all my maintenance done. After investigating for a few days, they replaced both H.I.D. headlights and corrected the problem. Now, 20,000 miles later, I'm experiencing the same problem. My left headlight suddenly will go out and have to be turned off and then on again to light. This happens every few minutes, most alarmingly on crowded freeways at night. I took the car back to the dealer, and they replaced the left headlight. They didn't charge me for the light because of my previous experience, but I did have to pay the labor fees, since the car is no longer under warranty, but exhibiting the same problems that it did when it was. I'm very concerned that this is going to continue to be a dangerous and costly problem. I don't feel confident that my car is safe to drive at night, because unless you are looking for the problem, headlight failure is something that you might not realize has occurred until it's too late. Also, it doesn't seem reasonable that I'm supposed to replace a very expensive part every 20,000 miles or more to continue to operate my car safely.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Oct 152008

Prius

Right side headlamp went out on my 2006 Toyota Prius prior to 36,000 mile warranty, headlight repaired under warranty. At or about 39,000 miles left headlight goes out intermittently, desert Toyota wants $399 to replace headlight. Did not complete repairs. Headlight consistently goes out every few minutes when on.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 292009

Prius

Was told by someone that one of my headlights was out. When I checked, it was fine. Took car to dealer and they said headlight was out and that it would be intermittent. Cost is $421 for a bulb!

- Oakland, CA, USA

Jan 072009

Prius

When driving at night one, and many times both, headlights have gone out. If I turn them off and then back on they work again so it is not the bulb. This has happened on back rural roads where I live and on the freeway. It is very disturbing and dangerous to all of a sudden driving in the dark. It has happened at least once a week for the past 6 months.

- Landenberg, PA, USA

May 012007

Prius

Malfunction in hid headlights for Toyota Prius is chronic - always flashing off and on - mostly off. They were replaced once in 2007 for free while under warranty. This has been occurring constantly for the past 6 months and although I have a 5Y/100,000 mile warranty, the dealership said this was only covered under the 3 yr/30,000 mile warranty and wants to charge me to fix this issue that is chronic with the Prius.

- Covina, CA, USA

Mar 272009

Prius

One or both lights go off spontaneously, when I shut the lights off and put the back on both lights work for a short period of time, whereas the problem recurs where either one or both lights will shut off again. It is a constant problem. The driver's side light seems to be affected more often. Obviously when driving at night it is dangerous and life threatening. The bulbs have been replaced.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Feb 122008

Prius

Prius 2006 - hid headlights - they intermittently shut off. Always come on at startup, then will go off, usually in first 10 minutes of driving. Turning off switch then turning it back on will make the headlights come back on. Sometimes they stay on, other times they go off over and over every few minutes. This is an ongoing problem.

- Noblesville, IN, USA

Mar 012009

Prius

Toyota Prius hid failure.

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Apr 232009

Prius

Passenger side headlight(hid) started going off and would come back on after switch was switched off and back on. Failed at night when wife was driving but she couldn't tell it was out. I asked dealer about it and they just suggested that the bulb be replaced at 500 dollars per bulb. Should replace both bulbs at same time. Total 1000 dollars for headlight bulbs. I bought a bulb from dealer and replaced it myself. It works for now. But"??"

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Apr 162009

Prius

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. The front driver side head lamp sporadically failed which reduced her visibility. As a consequence her risk for serious injury and a crash were increased. A technician stated that they were unable to diagnose or duplicate the failure. The contact is responsible for paying $1800 to replace the headlight. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 70,000.

- Granville, MA, USA

Apr 212009

Prius

1. one of the headlights turns off without warning while driving or idling. 2. this occurs several times a week. 3. I took my car to the dealership twice. The bulb was replaced, and the headlight assembly. But the problem still occurs. The last incident was 04/21/09.

- Dallas, GA, USA

Apr 142009

Prius

The headlights go off while driving mostly the drivers side light but one time both headlights went out at night. Toyota wants over six hundred dollars to replace light bulbs which they say are the problem. Light bulbs are not the problem because when the lights go out, you can turn them off then back on and they both come back on and work properly. They have gone out three times and the forth time the morning I took it to the dealership for repairs.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Apr 172009

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius. Occurrence: Constant -- every time. Headlights go out despite switch being "on." Headlights sometimes come back on after being turned off and back on. Sometimes not. Sometimes it is the left headlight, sometimes it's the right one. According to the Toyota forum priuschat.com/forums/care-maintenance-troubleshooting/34584-headlight-problem.html this seems to be a pretty widespread problem with little unified response from Toyota. Several dealerships have apparently charged for some corrective effort, but there does not seem to be a solid corrective action plan in place for anyone to follow - on their own or through Toyota. I'm marking today as the incident date, (because it's a required field) but this has been going on for several months. I am glad I decided to check on line before replacing the bulbs -- turns out it would probably not do any good. Taking the step of filing here so I can keep a copy on file in the event of a traffic stop. What do I tell the police? thanks for your help on this.

- Prince Frederick, MD, USA

Feb 282009

Prius

Drivers side headlight failure. On briefly then turns off.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Jan 012008

Prius

Hid lamps intermittently flicker and go out. Sometimes one or the other, sometimes both. Turning the light switch off then on corrects the problem. Does not matter if it is low or high beam, experiencing the same issue.

- Milford , VA, USA

Feb 092009

Prius

Headlight stops working then restarts..never know when it is going to work..this happens now daily, started just every now and then. Dealership replaced connection 137$ now 2 months later..out again. Pulled over by police 3 times.

- Nashville , TN, USA

Mar 172009

Prius

My 2006 Toyota Prius uses high intensity discharge (hid) headlight bulbs. These bulbs are suppose to last 10 years. The same bulb has failed twice now in the past 12 months and there are many noted instances of this same thing happening to other Prius owners, yet Toyota has not found a way to resolve the problem. The dealership is the only authorized repair place to get the problem fixed with the cost ranging from $350 for just a new bulb to $1500 if the relay needs to be replaced.

- Sparks, NV, USA

Apr 112009

Prius

The right headlamp goes off at random intervals while the car is been driven. Problem clears for a short period of time after the car is power cycled.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Jul 012008

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius hid headlight (driver's side) fails intermittently. The light will go out intermittently, but will come back on I the switch is turned off and on again. This problem began several months ago, and is getting progressively worse (more frequent). I was advised by the dealer that I would have to leave the car with them so they can "watch it until it fails", which is impractical since I need the vehicle on a daily basis.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA