2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 3 of 40)

Jul 102012

Prius 4-cyl

The headlights will shut off randomly while I am driving, the solution I have found is to flip the switch on and off again and they turn back on, but this only works temporarily and they soon shut off again. This can be very dangerous especially when driving on a dark road at night along a curve. The Toyota specialists recommended that I replace the bulbs but that did not fix the problem.

- Del Mar, CA, USA

Jul 202014

Prius 4-cyl

On July 20,2014, I noticed my passenger side headlight is out. I started the car and put the light on, it came on fine.. while driving on high way at night all the sudden the light went out again passenger side. I pulled it on the side and inspect driver side light was working fine but the passenger side was out. I turn the light off and on again it came back on. At this time I am scratching my head that what is going on. I take my car to the mechanic he tells me the bulb is fuse. It cost me $300. To change the bulb. After few days after the bulb goes out again. I take it back to the mechanic he checks every thing is fine, tell me the bulb went out again. Scratching my head again "bulb went out again after few weeks" I went to amazon and bought another bulb.. and it went out again. I was pulled over September 20, 2014 buy cops to fix my headlight. Headlight are still going out and I have to keep buying the headlight bulb.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Oct 032011

Prius 4-cyl

For the last two years my Prius' passenger side headlight turns off and on indiscriminately. I've replace bulbs, I've replaced fuses, and even the whole light assembly at a total cost of close to $3000. I still have the problem to this day. I get pulled over about every two weeks or so from police and for my job the car does not pass the internal inspection of my company. I have read on many sites that this is a common problem with this model of Prius justifying a recall. Thank you

- Winter Springs, FL, USA

Sep 022014

Prius 4-cyl

Passenger headlight goes on and off intermittently.

- Seal Beach, CA, USA

Oct 012012

Prius

My wife and I purchased a used 2006 Toyota Prius. After about 6 months one headlight would go out. We could cycle the switch and the headlight would work again. After replacing the bulb with a original bulb. Both headlight have gone out. I took the vehicle to our local Toyota dealership. They quoted a repair of $3800. I began looking for a lees expensive shop to do the repairs, when the owner of a shop[ informed me that Toyota had settled a class action lawsuit concerning the hid ( high intensity display) units. That settlement has now passed the date to submit a claim. All claims had to be submitted by May 30th 2011. We had not purchased our vehicle at that time. Why has there not been a recall done on these vehicles" obviously Toyota is aware that there is a problem with in the system or they would not of settled the class action suit. We now have a vehicle that we paid $15000 for that can not be driven at night or when it is raining out, because the faulty headlight installed by the manufacture. How can the government allow a major vehicle manufacture to allow these cars to stay on the road, and risk serious injury"

- Rock Hil, SC, USA

Jun 012014

Prius 4-cyl

As I was driving my 2006 Toyota Prius at night, I noticed the road seemed "dim" on the right side. I turned the lights off then back on and it was brighter. Later I noticed the same thing and pulled off the road to find the right headlight was not on, but it came back on after turning the switch off and on again. This has happened several times over the past couple of months, sometimes affecting the left headlight as well. Once, last month, as I was driving down the highway, both headlights turned off! fortunately I was able to quickly flip the headlight switch off and on to remedy the situation. The headlight bulbs have been checked and do not seem to be the problem. Help!

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Dec 292006

Prius 4-cyl

My headlight goes out. I alerted the dealer when purchasing the car. They said it just needed replaced. They didn't tell me this was common problem, nor did they offer to correct it. I found other complaints of this problem on this website. No notification was given to consumer.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Feb 062014

Prius 4-cyl

Both of my hid headlights went out (turned off) during normal highway driving. Since then, the lights have continued to turn off randomly during normal driving. When I turn the switch off and then back on, the lights operate fine for a while, then go back off. This is a very dangerous issue and I see it is a common issue.

- Ringgold, GA, USA

Jun 072013

Prius 4-cyl

Sudden extinguishing of one headlight, then the other.

- Towson, MD, USA

Apr 012010

Prius

My headlights flicker or fail with no warning, usually just one but sometimes both. If I flip the switch on and off they usually come back on but sometimes it takes some time. I run them during the day for safety, so I cannot tell when one will randomly cut off. This also puts me at risk of a traffic violation.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Apr 032010

Prius

While driving at night a headlight went out making it difficult to see. After restarting the car it came back on. This has happened several times. Once when a headlight was out the second headlight went out making it extremely unsafe and difficult to pull off the road safely, just missed another vehicle. Upon restarting one of the lights came back on. This is an extremely unsafe situation, it is life threatening. I has happened several times and continues to happen. I filed a complaint with Toyota and they said I had to come in when it was malfunctioning. They later said that it was out of warranty. They are well aware of the problem and how many lives have to be lost until they do something about it besides sweep it under the rug.

- Los Altos, CA, USA

Mar 192014

Prius 4-cyl

Headlights, go on and off on their own. Sometimes only one will go off, sometimes both. Happens with high beams as well. Lights come back on if I switch them completely off and then on again. May stay on for 30 minutes, may only stay on for a couple minutes. Very dangerous as the lights have gone off at night time causing loss of visibility.

- Maple City, MI, USA

Mar 202014

Prius 4-cyl

While traveling in the dark at 6:00am on I64E my headlights went completely out. I had to move off the highway, turn my vehicle off and restart the vehicle. When I restarted it, the lights turned back on.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Mar 142011

Prius 4-cyl

Went to dealer for 90K service. Was told left headlight was out. Replaced. Headlight goes out intermittently. Need to turn lights on-off to have headlight turn back on.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Mar 032014

Prius

The contact owns 2006 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the headlights would sporadically fail. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the bolts would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was alerted of the failure. The failure mileage was 219,600.

- Santa Barbra, CA, USA

Mar 102014

Prius 4-cyl

When driving at night, the dashboard displays some of the dashboard on the front windshield, which causes you to avoid that area of your windshield. This is a defect in all 2006-2009 Toyota Prius cars. What happens is that you start looking at this reflection and it creates a safety concern. You also do not have a clear view through the reflection. It is extremely distracting. When you are on a country rode late at night, where there may not be any street lights, it is even worse. This problem was fixed in the 2010 models and beyond with a longer edge on the dashboard at the top. I have talked to Toyota about this, but have gotten nowhere. I feel this is a big safety concern that must be addressed and I am turning to you for help. I could have gotten lawyers involved in a class action lawsuit, but I wanted to try and resolve this professionally. I am not looking to get rich or make money off this problem. I just want my car and everyone else's Prius fixed. This issue has always been around. I have noticed it more lately with cloud cover and driving on back country roads at night. It is scary.

- Parkville, MD, USA

Jun 102008

Prius 4-cyl

Since 2008 both headlights would randomly go out usually one at a time but sometimes both. By turning them off and back on would get them working again. The frequency kept increasing till 2013 when I called Toyota Corp. # and told them the problem. They said to have the bulbs replaced at my own expense because I was out of warranty. 142000 miles. I called Toyota dealer to have this done and got a price of $550. Wow. With a lot of research I purchased 2 headlights that were exactly the same on line for $90 and replaced them myself (not an easy task). At this point I'm not happy but can live with it. Now for my real complaint!!! 2 weeks after the bulb replacement my lights are doing the same thing. Sometimes one then the other or the real excitement when both go same time. Turn them off and back on and they always come back on, maybe for a minute or two. Toyota assured me before I replaced them that that would solve the problem. I was at a dealer yesterday and they had no input. To me it sure seems there is another problem other then the bulbs that Toyota will not admit. We try to not drive this vehicle at night but at times we have to. I wouldn't feel right selling the vehicle either, it's not safe!!!! kinda stuck with no solution or help from Toyota. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

- Youngsville, PA, USA

Feb 032014

Prius 4-cyl

Both hid headlights go on and off randomly. The dealer wants more than $1000. To repair each one.

- Winter Springs, FL, USA

Aug 252012

Prius

The right hid headlight randomly turns on and off.

- Addison, IL, USA

Dec 172008

Prius 4-cyl

My wife almost hit a trio of pedestrians who were walking in the road, and who were very poorly lit by the 2006 Prius headlights. These headlights (low beams) are always extremely dim and in my opinion are unsafe to drive with at night. High beams seem to light the road adequately. This problem is not caused by intermittent operation of the headlights (a problem we've also dealt with), but is caused by the fact that the headlights do not provide adequate illumination of the road. We also drive a 2005 Acura TL and a 2004 Toyota sienna and both of these vehicles provide good illumination of the road at night. A vehicle driving behind our 2006 Prius will often cast a shadow of our car in the area in front of the car, in the area that's supposed to be illuminated by the headlights. I'm surprised that there's no recall on this vehicle and that Toyota hasn't rectified this problem, which in my opinion makes the vehicle extremely unsafe to drive at night.

- West Hartford, CT, USA