2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 33 of 40)

Sep 222007

Prius

Headlights went out on Prius 2006 model. First one went bad, coming on at times; then the other one went bad and I would be driving in the complete dark-very scary. I had reported it to the Toyota dealer and they said nothing was wrong and there had not been any similar problem reported. I went back again the next week with the same complaint. The supervisor of maintenance said he would look into it. Finally, the last time I told them that if I end up in a fatality D/T this problem with the headlights, someone in Toyota will be in deep trouble. That is when the supervisor took care of the problem the next day. The car was still under warranty. Same thing happened next year 2008. I had to have the two front headlights replaced and this time out of my pocket which is very ridiculously expensive.

- Gloucester, VA, USA

Dec 012007

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius with hid lights. At 30,000 miles, in December 2007, the passenger side light began to turn off by itself. It would turn back on if we turned the lights completely off, then on again (dangerous at night, of course). At 35,000 miles, the dealership estimated $350 to replace the bulb, but then replaced bulb under warranty. At 50,000 miles the drivers side headlight began to do the same thing. We could not afford to pay for the replacement so have been turning off and on to remedy. Last week the passengers side headlight started doing it again, even though it is only 1 year old. There are times we have one headlight, and times we have no headlights other than the fog lights. We have been stopped by police and given a warning about a headlight being out. This is a dangerous situation and we think that it cannot be the hid lamps themselves, as they come back on again when we recycle the switch. It must be a computer or relay. We have discovered that there are many other Prius owners with the same exact issue: See the forum at www.hybridcars.com/forums/replacing-headlight-bulb-T910.html.

- Chelsea, MA, USA

Dec 272008

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius front driver side hid headlight turns off. If I turn the lights off and then back on, the headlight comes back on and functions perfectly. This happens at random occasions (day, night, smooth roads, dry, wet conditions), checked connection and all connections are fine.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 032007

Prius

My 2006 Prius left driver headlight began going on and off randomly and frequently at about 25,000 mi. I reported the problem to the dealer several times, but they couldn't diagnose the problem unless the headlight was out, which of course it wasn't. on occasion if I turned the headlights on and off the light would come back on temporarily. This was documented prior to the warranty running out. Finally, the headlight was completely out...the dealer and I argued over the warranty and they finally agreed to fix the problem. They replaced the bulbs and now again 30,000 mi. Later the same problem is re-occurring. This time however, turning lights on and off doesn't resolve the problem even temporarily. And once again they are refusing to take responsibility. I live on a dark country road and have found myself slowing to speeds of 25mph just to get home safely.

- Paso Robles, CA, USA

Jun 012007

Prius

1. under normal driving conditions, the right hid headlight bulb on my 2006 Prius failed. 2. the right hid headlight bulb goes/flickers off. The lights have to be turned off and on to temporarily correct the problem. Over time, the problem has gotten progressively worse. 3. I have gone to 3 different Toyota dealerships and have been told that the replacement cost would be over $400 parts & labor. Recently, I have found a bulb at a dealership for $157 parts only.

- Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, USA

Dec 102008

Prius

Hid bulb intermittently shuts off in my 2006 Toyota Prius. Toyota wants to replace bulb ($162.50 each). However, according to the blogs, this is a recurring problem with Prius's and may be a "controller" problem, not a bulb issue.

- Gladwyne, PA, USA

Aug 152008

Prius

Either headlight will go out at times. Am able to restart headlight by turning headlight switch off and back to on.

- Wales, WI, USA

Dec 202008

Prius

Intermittent bilateral headlight failure of 2006 Toyota Prius. The car has less than 30,000 miles on it. When lights are turned off and on quickly the failing light will come back on again. However, this has only proved to be a temporary solution since both headlights will randomly turn off again at a later time.

- San Carlos, CA, USA

Nov 202008

Prius

Passenger side headlamp ceased working after several minutes of driving. The lamp returns to normal operation after the light switch is cycled off and then back on. This problem has recurred three times.

- Castro Valley, CA, USA

Jun 102006

Prius

Hid driver side headlight fails intermittently. First noticed spring 2007, at about 20,000 miles; occurred rarely, about once every two - four weeks. Now is a regular event. Headlight goes out almost every trip. After turning the headlights off and on again, driver side headlight restarts and is less likely to fail again. Both high and low beams are affected. I see a lot of Prius vehicles with a headlight out. I am concerned about having the other headlight joining this behavior.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

Aug 082008

Prius

I own a 2006 Toyota Prius. Randomly and with out warning the hid head lights on my Prius turn off. This has happened at least 25 times and I have almost crashed several times. When this happens, I have to reach and turn off my lights with the switch and turn them back on. Then they stay on from 2 minutes to 2 hours. This is a huge danger to public safety. There are hundreds of Prius owners that have documented the exact same problem with their cars. Please look at this link www.hybridcars.com/forums/replacing-headlight-bulb-T910.html#comment-46741. You can see all of these people are having the exact same problem. Thank you.

- Valencia, CA, USA

Jun 012008

Prius

Driving down the road and one headlight or the other or both go out! sometime 5 to ten times in a trip. I haven't gone to the dealer since they want 250$ just to look at it.. and from the chat room they cant figure out the problem so I don't want to waste my money.

- Lodi, CA, USA

Jun 012008

Prius

2006 Prius w/hid headlights...they intermittently fail. Turn the off/on knob and they come back on. Started at about 30K on left side, left side failed 90% of time and @ 35K right side started failing. Dealer had no knowledge of problem when discussed at 35K service. Now 40K and trying to get covered under warranty.

- El Granada, CA, USA

Jan 012007

Prius

My 2006 Toyota Prius driver side head light goes out after driving the car for a few minutes. When I turn the switch off then on the headlight comes back on again but for only a few minutes. It happens every day, intermittently and at night it can be dangerous. It appears to be a common problem with only the 2006 Prius with hid headlights and only on the drivers side. As of this date I understand from other owners that Toyota does not know how to fix it. I am going to have it looked at this week.

- Tarpon Springs, FL, USA

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius. Passenger light (both low and high beams) intermittently goes out. Turning car off and back on often brings light back on. Toyota dealer has had other complaints and recommends replacing headlight (one headlight is nearly $400, with labor it is nearly $500). I've always been told to replace headlights in pairs which makes that $1000 repair when clearly the headlights are failing widely and I suspect prematurely. This is widely reported in priuschat and other internet user groups and no one has identified the root cause. Surely there aren't *this* many bad bulbs. If it is a computer problem it could lead to other failures. This is a safety issue! Toyota needs to investigate the cause and offer a recall solution. It appears that complaints through this website are increasingly frequent. Thanks!

- Stillwater, OK, USA

Prius

I was stopped in 2006 Prius by state trooper for headlight out on passenger side. Local dealer told me new hid lamps will cost $350 without installation. I ordered them and then found out that the lamps should last at least 10 years and that the problem affects most Prius cars with hid headlights from 20,000 to around 50,000 miles and that Toyota is well aware of the problem but has not issued a defect recall to date. The failure appears to be random and the lamps will re-start when switched off and back on again. Since the lamps extinguish randomly, there is the possibility of both failing simultaneously with serious safety issues.

- Farmville, VA, USA

Jun 012007

Prius

I've got a package 6 2006 Prius. One of the headlights keeps going out. I can't really tell when or how it goes out since I can't see it. I'll notice it when I see the reflection in the back of another car. If I turn the bright lights on and off it has no effect, but when I turn them all the way off and back on the light comes back. Sometimes on long trips it will stay on the whole time, sometimes it won't. sometimes on short trips it will go out, sometimes it won't. it is not an event I can make happen. I've taken it to the dealer and they don't really know what to do and told me I could get a new lamp for about $450 or replace something for $1100.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Prius

The front hid headlights on my 2006 Prius periodically go off, with no explanation -- both the right and left side have failed on occasion, but never at the same time. If I turn the lights off and then back on again, the light comes back on. This has been occurring over a number of months, so today I had it analyzed and was told the hid computer for each of the lights is ok, but the light bulbs themselves needed to be replaced, which I did at a cost of over $200 per bulb. I was told at the dealer that they've had numerous complaints about this, but were not aware of any factory authorized repair of said problem. After reading an internet blog on this issue, and hearing of numerous identical complaints, I'm convinced Toyota ought to be held accountable for this serious and potentially dangerous problem.

- Manitowoc , WI, USA

Prius

Our 2006 Toyota Prius has a headlight that will randomly turn off while driving. It is very difficult to tell when a headlight turns off. If we do realize that the headlight has turned off, we can turn both headlights off while driving and then turn them back on. This "resets" the lights and they both come back on. Living in the country where roads are very windy and illuminated streets are uncommon, this is a serious safety issue. The dealer claims they are bad bulbs; however, the hid bulbs should last 8-10 years. Our bulb has lasted only 2.5 years. To replace the bulb it costs over $500, which is ridiculous. There are obvious safety problems with bulbs randomly going out while driving. Based upon discussions with other Prius owners, this is a common problem. Other have been charged upwards of $1800 to change both headlamps on cars under 50K miles. Something should be done to make Toyota recognize this significant safety risk.

- Prospect, KY, USA

Aug 202008

Prius

The car is equipped with hid lights and the drivers side fails intermittently. The dealer could not recreate the problem but suggested perhaps replacing the bulb ($345) might help or waiting until it becomes more frequent. This is a very common problem with the 2006 Prius hid lights. Toyota should at least have identified the source of the problem because it could be caused by the failure of various components and random replacement of components in the headlight circuit would be needlessly expensive. As it is obviously a manufacturing or supplier problem Toyota should extend the warranty and issue a recall as lighting is a safety issue.

- Dillsburg, PA, USA