2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 37 of 40)

May 012006

Prius

My front headlight does not always work reliably. It will stop working sometimes when I am driving, but may return to normal operation when I power off the car. When I tried to get this repaired, the technician could not find anything wrong. After researching on the discussion boards, I have learned that there are many other Prius drivers that have this same problem. The car is only 2 years old. I believe that there is a design issue with the headlight drive electronics.

- Bellbrook, OH, USA

Jul 012008

Prius

After 3-5 minutes of running the headlights, the driver's side just turns off. I can turn the car & headlights off & when I turn them back on again, it works just fine. The dealer cannot replicate the problem. Although they have seen the same complaint from another owner. They recommend replacing the hid headlights for $385 plus labor. After searching the internet, it appears this is a known problem with the pruis and Toyota should cover it. I have 47K mile and an Toyota expended warranty but they say it is not covered. This begin occurring for over 2 months. The light does not fail every day.

- Ovilla, TX, USA

Jul 172007

Prius

Head lights on my 06 Prius keep going out.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Sep 252008

Prius

Head lights & tail lights turn off intermittently in 2006 Prius. Procedure: Start car turn on headlights wait one or both lights go off turn off lights turn on lights lights are back on. Repeat above...

- Newcastle, WA, USA

Sep 222008

Prius

Prius headlights started going off sporadically. Sometimes right sometimes left sometimes both. Hard to tell when it will happen. Sometimes turning light switch off and on solves the problem. First noticed this last weekend (today is Sept 24th 08). Do not know yet how to reproduce intentionally, but it has happened at least three times this week.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Sep 232008

Prius

My 2006 Prius headlights have started flicking off while I'm driving, one or the other, or both at the same time. They will come back on if the lights are turned off, then back on, although they may go back out again in 1-2 seconds, or later. This problem has been reported by other people on the internet (see wiki.answers.com). It's dangerous because the lights go off while driving. The dealerships have not been able to identify the problem.

- Chittenango, NY, USA

Sep 012008

Prius

The right head light works intermittently. I have a certified used vehicle with an extended warranty. The dealership nor the automaker will do anything unless they can replicate the issue. My extended warranty does not cover the headlights, which cost around $400 to replace. The dealership and Toyota's only solution is to drive in with the headlight not working. That seems like such a terrible solution.

- Marion, IA, USA

Sep 122008

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius headlights stop working while driving. Stop car and turn off and back on and lights work again. Many times only one light is working until I recycle the switch. The lights hids and the car is out of warranty.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Sep 122008

Prius

The headlight intermittently turns off. Usually, turning the lights off and back on will fix the problem. Toyota is telling me to replace the bulb, but that doesn't make sense when the light still works fine after turning them off and back on.

- Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Sep 162008

Prius

Headlights go out while driving at night. I bought the car tonight, drove off the lot, thought the headlights seem horrible but didn't think much of it. I went down the road and noticed I saw more from the cars around me. I had the driving lights on, but they only show a very short distance in front of the car. I turned onto the main road (4 lane, divided highway) and hit the high beams - the lights went completely out at approximately 60 mph on a road I was unfamiliar with. This is extremely dangerous, I had to stop in the middle of the highway and turn on the flashers to try to see to get off the road. This is a Toyota "certified" and Virginia state inspected a few week ago "supposedly" car that was driven from the showroom floor to the highway before the lights went out. I don't believe this could have been tested for either the va inspection nor the Toyota certified inspection and now wonder if anything on the Toyota certified inspection was really done. The marker light (proper name? yellow lights) on the drivers side also does not work which would fail both these inspections if properly done.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Aug 112008

Prius

Headlight goes off intermittently (no accident caused it... it just happens).

- Rockville, MD, USA

Aug 152008

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius with high intensity discharge (hid) headlights intended to last life of vehicle. Passenger side headlight began intermittently failing after 25000 miles... initial indication was light was noticeably dimmer than the driver side headlight. After a few weeks light would go out after a period of time driving, cycling power to headlights causes light to come back on, although period of operation is becoming shorter and shorter. Took the car to dealer who spent approximately one hour trouble shooting before asking for come to return for longer troubleshooting period.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 282008

Prius

Toyota Prius problem with intermittent headlight function.

- Morehead City, NC, USA

Sep 092008

Prius

Like my wife I own another 2006 Toyota Prius which has hid headlamps that have intermittent failures. This problem has come on over the last year. Usually switching the headlamps off and then on again turns the lamps back on. However traveling at high rates of speed at night and having your headlamps suddenly go out is extremely dangerous. Reading on the internet and realizing that this is a problem with many of these vehicles made me decide it must be reported to you so you can put pressure on Toyota to recall and correct this issue. I have not had an accident yet due to this failure. The failure happens about every ten minutes (on average) whenever the headlamps are on.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

Sep 082008

Prius

I own a 2006 Toyota Prius which has hid headlamps that have intermittent failures. This problem has come on over the last year. Usually switching the headlamps off and then on again turns the lamps back on. However traveling at high rates of speed at night and having your headlamps suddenly go out is extremely dangerous. Reading on the internet and realizing that this is a problem with many of these vehicles made me decide it must be reported to you so you can put pressure on Toyota to recall and correct this issue. I have not had an accident yet due to this failure. The failure happens about every ten minutes (on average) whenever the headlamps are on.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

Sep 082008

Prius

Both of my high intensity headlights occasionally go out, but at different times so far. Within the city it is hard to tell but is noticeable on the open road. I think it is a safety issue, especially if they both decide to go out at once. Turning off the headlights and back on a few seconds later has so far caused both to be on, but for how long who knows.

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Sep 092008

Prius

Headlights randomly turn off. Nothing appears to aggravate or cause this. It happens at least once or twice per drive. Only way to fix it, (when I even notice it) is to turn the lights on and off again.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

May 012008

Prius

1. normal driving 2. headlights (mostly passenger side) go out but will come back on when lights are turned off then back on. Once back on they stay on for varying lengths of time (as short as a few seconds and as long as a few hours - most times it is a short period of time). The burned out headlight warning light never comes on (as the lights are not burned out). This happens in daylight or night (it is more noticeable at night). This has gone on for many months. 3. I have brought my vehicle in to be checked multiple times, the dealer (my vehicle is still under warranty) has not been able to duplicate the problem and has told me that there is no problem. So nothing has been done. I believe that the problem has been going on since before I first verified it in May. For nearly the entire time I had the car I noted sudden changes to the light patterns while driving at night. Since the burned out bulb warning never came on I was slow to check for a headlight that was out. Once I did note that my headlight was out I took it to the dealer, but it was back on. However the headlights do go out again and again.

- Goshen, NY, USA

Jun 062008

Prius

My hid headlights will "flicker" and then one would go out. I can get the headlight back on by simply turning the lights off and back on. This problem was rarely intermittent around 25K miles and started getting worse as I approached 40K miles. I reported the issue to the Toyota dealer on every visit and they could not locate any issues with the headlamps. I can't get in my car without having to shut off the hids multiple times during a very short trips and get pull over several times by the police. Recently I got frustrated and took the car in the dealer and ask that they replaced the bulbs. They now acknowledge that driver side bulb is broken and that I have to pay $520 to replace it. I told them that both headlamps go out and so it must be defective or electrical issues. I have searched some owners blogs and found many users reporting this same issue.

- Middle Island, NY, USA

Sep 042008

Prius

Front head lamp on Prius cuts out intermittantly. Impossible to replace without major labor (including removing bumper). Approximate cost $450 to $500.

- Louisville, KY, USA