2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 38 of 40)

Aug 202008

Prius

Purchased new Toyota Prius Aug. 2006; within one year right headlight went out, but didn't burn out completely, but would go on and off at various times. Took in and was replaced under warranty (bulb costs over $300!). August 2008, same thing, right headlight would sporadically work. Took into dealer and asked them to research if a short circuit. They said no, just bad bulb. They told me that the bulbs are delicate and this can happen if going over bump in the road. This time I had to pay the $300. Two weeks later, the left bulb now sporadically works. I cannot afford to replace a $300 bulb once or twice a year. After reading on priuschat.com, other Prius owners are having the same complaints. There must be a defect for 3 bulbs to go out within 2 years and again, they don't burn out completely. When you first turn the lights on, the bulb comes on, but while driving, it just goes out. When you turn your lights off then on again, the bulb comes on again, but won't stay lit. I have been pulled over twice by the police because of this.

- Canton, MI, USA

Aug 102007

Prius

The headlights on my 2006 Prius intermittently fail and recover when they are turned off and on again. This has gone on for over one year and I finally began loosing all lights on high beam and they would not recover when they were turned off and on again. I just paid over $500 for a problem that I now realize is shared by many owners. Why is there not a recall??

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Aug 282008

Prius

I own a 2006 Toyota Prius, with 41,000 miles. My right headlight failed 2 days ago, car was repaired at the dealer, they changed a $260 "computer" that controls the headlight, which was covered under my extended warranty, my cost $55. On my way home both of the headlights failed, returned the car to the dealer, hid light bulb was changed today, my cost $320. Now the left headlight is also failing intermittently, which seems odd and very coincidental. Toyota is unable to tell me, if this is an ongoing problem with their vehicles, though the internet seems to have info on the same situation with other owners. $600-$1,000 seems excessive to repair the headlights that seem to be a model problem, especially affecting 2006 model Prius. Has there been a recall on these items?

- Port Orchard, WA, USA

Mar 012008

Prius

Driver's side headlamp goes off when vehicle running & being driven. When the headlamp switch is briefly turned off, then back on, the driver's side headlamp comes on again, but always goes back off after a few seconds or up to a minute or two. This cycle of turning off & on can be repeated indefinitely. The problem started spontaneously. Nothing has yet been done to correct the problem; a phone call to the local Toyota service department was met with uncertainty as to what may be wrong, and I have yet to take it in for service.

- Radford, VA, USA

Aug 212008

Prius

Our Toyota Prius 2006 is experiencing a potentially dangerous problem with the headlights. The passenger side headlight, and sometimes both headlights continue to "wink-out" despite the dealer having verified that the connections are solid and the bulbs are in functioning order. Simply turning the headlights off and then back on "fixes" the problem temporarily, however the problem resurfaces the next time we drive the car.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Aug 122008

Prius

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius with hid headlights. Recently I developed a problem where the drivers side headlight kept going out randomly. I would have to shutoff all lights and turn them back on in order for the light to come back on. Not only is it totally unsafe to be turning off the lights (driving or not at night) but it impairs your vision when only one of the two headlights is working. I took my car to the dealer and after $56 in labor, $330 in a hid bulb, and tax, my problem might have been fixed. They don't know as it could be the ballast. However after talking to a scuba buddy who is also a master Toyota mechanic he told me that its almost always the bulb and they are more then likely defective and that in his opinion there should be a recall.

- Marina, CA, USA

Apr 012008

Prius

The headlights intermittently shut off while driving. Sometimes it's the right one and sometimes it's the left one. I'm afraid that sometime it will be both. This is a safety hazard to have the headlights go out. I have had it checked out but since it is an inconsistent problem, it is not always not working when I take the car in so they have a hard time diagnosing it and refuse to change out the headlight system. They almost look at me in disbelief as if they've never heard of such a thing. Yet, I see many other Prius' driving around with one headlight on so I know I am not the only one in there complaining about this problem. They need to look into it and do the right thing to fix the problem before a life is lost and they have to do something to fix this problem.

- Lovettsville, VA, USA

Aug 062008

Prius

While driving my 2006 Prius one head light will go out and then the other and I have no headlights. Some times its the drivers side some times the passenger side and sometimes both. But on the freeway it's scary when they both go out!

- Lodi, CA, USA

Apr 012008

Prius

I drive a 2006 Toyota Prius which I purchased new in 2006. It has 30,000 miles on it. Starting at about 27,000 miles, the hid headlights began to intermittently fail while driving. Turning the headlight switch off then on again seems to re-ignite the bulb until the next failure. This creates a real safety concern and the local Toyota service center is refusing to replace the headlights under warranty stating that they cannot reproduce this issue. There a numerous posts on message boards such as priuschat.com (priuschat.com/forums/care-maintenance-troubleshooting/34584-headlight-problem.html) that suggest this is not an isolated issue, but actually a design and/or manufacturing flaw. Without reliable headlights, I am concerned for my safety and the safety of motorists and pedestrians around me. I have a call in to Toyota and hopefully they will do the right thing. Perhaps a recall is in order, or at least a service bulletin so that dealer service centers don't refuse to perform necessary maintenance.

- Olive Branch, MS, USA

Mar 152008

Prius

The headlights work intermittently with no indication from inside the vehicle that one is not working. I have had the vehicle checked three times, and the only thing that was fixed was a rear taillight bulb. The non-working headlights have been pointed out to me by security guards in the parking garage, and last week I was pulled-over by a New Jersey state patrol officer because one of the headlights was out. The only way to get them on again is to turn the car off, and then restart it. It has now become a safety hazard for myself, passengers, and other drivers. Toyota's response has been that if I notice them not working, bring the car in with the lights still out, and then they can try to track down the problem. The approximately 5 times I have been told about, or noticed the outages have been as I drove into my office or later at night when the dealer is closed, or out of town on the turnpike. This solution is merely an avoidance by the dealer to replace a known defect.

- Clifton, VA, USA

May 012008

Prius

The headlights individually go out sporadically. When the car is turned off, and turned back on again, the headlights work. Usually, its the left headlight but has also been the right. Replacement of the left headlight did not correct the problem. Today, the "ECU's and hid bulbs" were replaced. Don't yet know if this corrects the problem. I have heard of others with this issue and am concerned that there should be a recall. Losing headlights is dangerous.

- Woodside, CA, USA

Jan 182008

Prius

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius, package 6. the passenger side front headlight intermittently turns off while the vehicle is in motion. There are no specific antecedents. The headlight may stay on or may not during any time driving. If I turn off the headlights and turn them back on, the aforementioned headlight will come back on and stay on. Or not. Again, there is no way to tell when this will happen. I have reviewed the discussion boards and this appears to be a known problem among several Prius drivers. Toyota has no tech sheets or recalls on this issue. They say to bring it in and they will check it out, but since it is an intermittent problem, it is impossible to predict whether the problem will occur during an appointment/diagnostic time. This is a safety issue, particularly at night, and I am certainly at risk of getting a fix-it ticket for it. However, I am having trouble "fixing" something that manifests so unpredictably. I am wondering if there are other complaints about this problem with the Prius? I first noticed this problem in 1/2008, at about 35,000 or 36,000 miles, just after the warranty period expired.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Jun 232008

Prius

Headlights go out intermittently, usually when the car goes over a bump in the road. Turning the headlights off and back on, usually corrects the problem until the next bump. Have taken the car to two different Toyota dealerships. First one said that because the car is out of warranty, Toyota is not willing to cover the cost, said to be $1800 to replace both headlight assemblies. Second Toyota dealer also said that Toyota would not cover the cost, said to be $850 to replace only the headlight bulbs.

- Grafton, WI, USA

Jul 232008

Prius

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius with 35,543 miles on it. The driver's side headlight intermittently goes off. I will be bringing it to the dealer today.

- Weymouth, MA, USA

Jul 222008

Headlight failure.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Apr 022008

Prius

While driving my 2006 Toyota Prius, package #8, the headlights will go out intermittently. They can either go out one at a time or both at the same time. This started a few months ago with about 30,000 miles on the card. I am currently at aprox. 35,000 miles on the car. I can get the light(s) to come back on by turning them fully off and back on again. This will usually keep the lights on for the rest of my trip, short or long, in most cases. But there are times that they lights will go out again and I will need to turn them off and back on to get them to work again. I have not taken the car to the dealer yet, I am in the process of finding the time to do this. I have read online that this seems to be more than an isolate problem related to only my vehicle.

- Darien, IL, USA

Jul 152008

Prius

I have an issue with the headlight (hid) on my 2006 Toyota Prius. I have discovered that I am not the only one. One headlight will go out, and if I turn it off and then back on it will come back on. The dealer told me I need to replace the bulb - for ~$725. The hid headlights are supposed to last the life of the car. However, the bulb is not under warranty (I have the extended super duper deluxe warranty). So I have to pay this out of pocket. Now if the bulbs were regular bulbs - I would just replace them. If this was not such a common problem, I would not be complaining. The issue seems to be widespread, and thus I believe this is a manufacturing defect that should at least be covered under my warranty - if not deserving of a recall.

- Kingston, NY, USA

Nov 222006

Prius

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. While driving at an unknown speed, the front headlights would shut off without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer twice and they suggested that the contact replace the headlights for $500 per piece. The current mileage was 70,000 and failure mileage was 30,000.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Jul 112008

Prius

We started having an intermittent problem with the driver's side headlight on our 2006 Prius. It would go out for no apparent reason. If we turned the lights off and back on, most of the time it would come back on, but not always. We asked our dealer to check it out for a possible "short" during a regular oil change. They said that they could find nothing wrong with it. On July 11, we brought it to a different Toyota dealer and got them to check it out. They said it was the bulb that needed to be replaced and charged us $427.99 to replace it!!! they had to remove the bumper to replace the bulb! I immediately got online and emailed Toyota. I let them know how ridiculous it was to charge $320 for a light bulb and then build a car that had to have the bumper removed to change the light bulb! I also said that I would not assume that a light bulb is burned out if it comes on most of the time. How did they know that it was the bulb and not some wiring or other problem? just a few days later, I got a call from Toyota saying they were investigating and wanted all of the details from me. Then yesterday, Toyota called me and told me that they were mailing me a check for the full cost of $427.99!

- Prairieville, LA, USA

Jul 132008

Prius

The hid headlights on the vehicle randomly go off (both sides, but independently). Toyota has replaced both headlight assemblies at different times and the control module under warranty. Turning the headlights off and then back on again returns both lights to being on. This occurs at least once a week that we can notice. We are now out of warranty and Toyota indicates we will have to pay for all diagnostics and repair.

- Silverado , CA, USA