2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 6 of 40)

Aug 182012

Prius 4-cyl

Both exterior lights and all interior lights went out late at night while driving on an old country road. Very scary and dangerous! by turning the light switch completely off and back on we got our lights back. We had already spent over $250 for headlamps before this so it was not the bulbs. It's continuing to have a problem however we usually get some flickering of the lights just before one or both lights go out so we drive with one hand on the light switch to be ready to turn off and on the lights. We have been told by Toyota that we have to bring it while it is having a problem which is a problem since the shop is not open at night and while happening fairly frequently now is not predictable enough to show the repairman. Please recall this vehicle. We are not alone and still love our Prius.

- Los Osos, CA, USA

Sep 022012

Prius 4-cyl

One of headlights (passenger side) suddenly shuts off. Then I completely turn them all the way off, then it works again for a few minutes. So far we have changed: Headlight assembly, lights computer controller, and numerous lights bulbs. So far this issue has cost us over $3000 but Toyota does not take any responsibility for this issue. This is apparently an issue with everyone that owns a 2006 Prius from what it looks like on line with other users.

- New Market , MD, USA

Aug 272012

Prius

The driver side hid headlamp went out while driving. This was out for about a day then turned back on while driving again. I have now noticed this happens every few days and only while in motion.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

May 012012

Prius 4-cyl

I own a 2006 Prius 2006. One of the headlights keeps going out and I have now received a fix-it ticket from the local police. The problem is that I already took it to the dealer to get it checked out and they couldn't find any problem. Also, I can't really tell when or how the head light goes out since I can't see it. I can only tell when I see the reflection in the back of another car or when in front of a store/wall etc. If I turn them all the way off and back on couple of times then the light comes back. Sometimes it will stay on the whole time, sometimes it won't. sometimes it will go out, sometimes it won't. it is not an event I can make happen and as I mentioned before I took it to the dealer (Toyota of orange) and they can't make it happen either. I have also come across a blog where many Prius owners are experiencing the exact same issue. priuschat.com/threads/headlight-problem.34584/

- Orange, CA, USA

Apr 302012

Prius 4-cyl

Passanger side headlight dims and then turns off at random times - light will sometimes come back on when you turn the headlights off and then on again. Problem has returned within minutes of turning them off then on again.

- Woodland Hills, CA, USA

Apr 022012

Prius 4-cyl

On numerous occasions both headlights have spontaneously gone dark while driving at night, either singly or in tandem. Other times they fail to come on at the start of a trip, but one or both will be on at the destination. It only seems to affect the main headlamps, not the amber lights or the small round lights below them. When it first happened we replaced the bulb in one headlamp, but that had no effect on the problem. It's frightening when driving home from work at midnight.

- Potomac, MD, USA

Aug 022010

Prius 4-cyl

Upon arriving home, I was informed the left hand headlight was not working. By switching the light off and then on, I was able to get the light to work. This has happened intermittently on numerous occasions since that time, although not just the left light. The right hand side will also flicker off and then the headlight stalk has to be turned off and on to get the light to illuminate again. This issue cannot be duplicated by me, as the lights seem to have a life of their own. What frightens me is that the lights will also go through this erratic behavior while I am driving the vehicle at night, not only when the car is stationary. I did receive info on getting Toyota to assist in the cost of bulb replacement, but since I work constantly in real estate sales, I did not have an opportunity to bring the vehicle to my dealer, and had not used an outside mechanic to make repairs. Also I had been able to get the headlights to work with the re-switching process. Because the situation has escalated and I find it occurring more frequently, I visited the dealer this morning only to be told they had no liability after the extended 50000 mile limit, and my car now has 85000 miles! it seems to me Toyota knows they have an issue with the ECU which controls this headlight function, but are not going to rectify the situation until the NHTSA forces them. This is a very dangerous problem and I do not want to end up trying to drive with no lights in the dark!!

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Jun 122012

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving home on Suburban surface streets at dusk, following a friend to my home. My cell phone rang, and I answered using the bluetooth feature of the vehicle. It was my friend, calling to let me know that my left headlight was out. It had been flickering and having issues over the past few weeks, and we thought the bulb might be loose. We took the car to our mechanic on June 19th, 2012 to have the serpentine belt replaced and the headlight looked at. He indicated it was the bulb, and that it would cost $350 to replace. Coincidentally, a relative saw a news story the other day about many similar complaints made to your organization and to the Toyota company, so I did some online research. I was very disheartened to read an investigation made by kctv5 out of Kansas City which explained your failure thus far to demand a recall, despite ample evidence that the system flaw has been corrected in the 2010 and newer Prius models. Please demand a recall before someone is injured or killed! as the daughter of a retired highway patrol officer, I understand the need for on-the-road safety. At this point, I am afraid to drive my vehicle at night, and it is my family's only vehicle. Please do something!

- Cottonwood, AZ, USA

Jun 122012

- Cottonwood, AZ, USA

Mar 142012

Prius 4-cyl

My headlights keep going out with no warning. I am driving and lights will go out -- dashboard signal indicates lights are on. I have been stopped twice by police for driving without lights (sometimes hard to detect when driving in well lit area). If I turn lights on and off they come back on. I first started seeing this problem over a year ago but it has been more pronounced in past few months. I have brought the car to dealer and they have not seen a problem although now I am reading that there is an issue with the nih lights. No lights, no warning that there are no lights... this is a safety issue.

- Attleboro, MA, USA

Mar 142012

- Attleboro, MA, USA

Mar 072012

Prius 4-cyl

Upon purchase of vehicle from a used car lot, I immediately noticed the headlights would be work at times but at other times they would be very dim to non-existent. Turning the light on and off would seem to temporarily fix this problem. Upon researching this issue through the internet, it was reviled this was a common issue among Prius owners in model years 2006-2009 where Toyota choose to use hid light bulbs. Not only was this common, but for some owners, the issue appear to re-occur and the life expectancy of hid bulbs appears to be very low and inferior to virtually any other type of bulb. Fortunately, the dealer extended a helping hand and provided the labor to install these hard to get to bulbs. Due to poor design, the lights are very hard to get to without taking the bumper off. I am very disappointed in the life expectancy and design that Toyota chose in this model of Prius.

- S. Berwick, ME, USA

Dec 012011

Prius

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the headlights would intermittently fail. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure but replaced the headlights. The remedy failed to repair the problem. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure mileage was 52,000 and the current mileage was 57,000.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Nov 012011

Prius

Multiple hid headlight failures started appearing after 5.5 years and 110000 miles. Dealer wanted $500 per bulb (frontier Toyota) to replace the bulbs with no guarantee that would fix the problem. After researching bulb changing procedures I found the front end does not require removal if you have small enough hands and some patience. I purchased 2 new aftermarket hid bulbs for $55 and replaced the "old" bulbs. The new bulbs lasted about 3 commutes before one, then the other started turning off on me. Now the headlights act the same as before, headlights randomly turning off after 2-5 minutes on the dark road. Re-cycling the headlight switch brings them back to life for another 3-5 minutes. Now I am faced with replacing one or both ballast units that drive the bulbs. This will required removing both headlight assemblies to access the ballast boxes which are mounted to the sides of the assemblies facing outward towards the fenders ! this will require bumper facia removal to remove the light assys. Lovely & expensive. If after replacing both ballast assemblies doesn't work, I will be forced to replace the vehicle's ECU, or brain ! another expensive checklist item. Good thing I am capable of doing this myself as I can save the greedy labor charges, but its not right that Toyota gets off scott free. They should recall all Prius' no matter the mileage or age. This is a highway safety matter and the latest olive branch from the judge was nothing more than a wrist slap.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Jun 292011

Prius 4-cyl

The headlights are defective. This seems to be an issue with second generation Prius and there is a lot of internet chatter from affected individuals. The headlights are showing intermittent on/off. The headlights go off automatically. They start working again after switching them off and then back on. However, this needs to be done every few minutes.

- Richmond, CA, USA

Feb 132008

Prius 4-cyl

At approximately 40,000 miles the passenger side hid headlight goes out intermittently & comes back on after turning headlights off and back on. I have been pulled over three times & received a warning ticket. Dealer service convinced us that it was the bulb & that the cost of bulb replacement was entirely ours even though headlights were covered to 100,000 miles. This of course, did not fix the problem and it continues. This creates a safety hazard on poorly lit roads & during reduced visibility conditions. Dealer offers no assistance or guidance.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Jan 222012

Prius

One headlight goes off after 1-2 min of staying on. Switching it off and then on brings it on. The cycle repeats.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 272011

Prius 4-cyl

The headlights will turn off automatically without any operation. When headlights turned off and on, it will go back working for a while before it turns off again.

- Troy, AL, USA

Oct 252010

Prius 4-cyl

Both headlights intermittently go off, usually one at a time, but once, both went off at the same time at night. If I turn them off and back on, they work for a few minutes, and then same thing happens. The dealer says nothing is wrong.

- Check, VA, USA

Apr 012011

Prius 4-cyl

Headlight bulbs intermittently on and off starting around 48,000 miles and then 52,000 miles for other bulb. I can usually get the light to turn back on by turning the headlights fully off and then on. Driver side bulb died first, passenger bulb shortly thereafter. Toyota replaced the 1st bulb under our 5 year warranty but refused to replace the other bulb at 5 yrs 3 months & 52K miles.

- Mountain View, CA, USA