2006 Toyota Prius miscellaneous problems

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Apr 092014

2006 Prius multifunction display defects, manufactuer wants $8,000 to repair. The mfd controls ac distribution. It affects my health. I have a skin condition, that requires cooling of my legs. The air will come on, but only from dash area, there is no other control method, because touch screen does not work. Also window defroster is inopperalble, from screen. There is a defroster button on steering wheel, it works only part of the time. I have had car into dealership 3 seprate times (at 2 different locations) they can not find the problem with steering wheel defrost buttom. I was told, there is no diagnostics for the electrical on this vehicle, the other dealership, just said " the tech found out defroster problem, is somewhere under here" as he reached under the dash area. The touch doesn't work at anytime, parked or going down the road. $8,000 dollars for this repair is way out of my reach. From what I understand it is a widespread problem, or a bad design. The defrost comtrol on steering wheel will come on/off when I hit a bump in the road or a rough railroad crossing. Driving without proper defrosting is very dangerous.

- Beckville, TX, USA

Jul 172016

Driving down the freeway, the shift lever jumped from drive to neutral at 65mph. Very dangerous.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jul 012010

Trunk latch rubber melts when the weather is hot. Happens repeatedly every summer, until the trunk latch is unusable. The trunk will not open.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Aug 012015

Dashboard is melting in the sun, it is sticky and shiny creating a very reflective surface that creates glare and my be releasing toxic fumes.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Jan 012016

The rubber cover to the external trunk latch on my 2006 Toyota Prius has melted and the switch to open the hatch does not function properly. I am unable to adequately open the trunk hatch to access the spare tire and emergency equipment. There is no safe alternative is to open the trunk in the event of an emergency.

- Geneva, IL, USA

Nov 182015

Water pump was replaced in 2011 and again 2015. My car has 160,000 miles at this time in Nov 2015.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Feb 072015

Parked car at night in Colorado in February, 2015. Outside temperature was approx 25 degrees farenheit. We ate dinner at a restaurant, came out and started the 2006 Prius. Instrument cluster panel showeing the fuel gauge, odometer, shift position and speedometer failed to come on. Turned car off and on numerous times - no instrument cluster panel lights. The following morning, the instrument cluster panel worked fine. This has happened occasionally since the first incident in February. This is a safety concern; one is unable to tell which gear the vehicle is in, the speed of the vehicle, or how much fuel the vehicle has. After contacting Toyota, they told me the extended warranty had expired in December 2014. As a safety defect, Toyota should still be covering a known problem.

- Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Jun 012012

Prius 4-cyl

On occasion, when I step on the brake to stop my car (usually when driving under 30 mph), it feels as though the vehicle tries to accelerate. It seems as though the electronic portion of the vehicle is trying to engage and briefly accelerates when I am trying to stop the vehicle.

- Bemidji, MN, USA

Jul 012010

Prius 4-cyl

I own a 2006 Toyota Prius. I purchased the vehicle new. It has approximately 57,000 miles. For the past six months, the front headlights will randomly stop working - sometimes the driver's side, sometimes the passenger side, sometimes both headlights. If I turn the headlight switch off and back on the lights will come back on. It is my understanding that over 1,000 Prius owners have reported this same problem to NHTSA. Please add my report to this database.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 012008

Toyota Prius floor mat and sustained acceleration

- Hershey, PA, USA

Mar 192010

The 2006 Toyota Prius was being driven up a hill (private road which we have access T)., when the car hit aan aea of loose dirt & gravel. This car, a base model Prius, has anti-skid control, but not traction control. The base model in 2006 was the only one designed like this. What happens, is when the anti-skid kicks in, it cuts all power to the wheels. Since the car ws heading up a steep incline, when all power to the wheels was cut, the car rolled back down and off the road ito the woods and trees/rocks. I just found out from my insurance company the the car is a total loss from all the damage to various parts. This problem never affected us except when trying to get out of the driveway on snowy/icy days. Now, whewn this incident happened, it is apparent the car should never have been sold or designed in this way

- Catskill, NY, USA

Jan 042006

Prius 4-cyl

: the contact stated a piece of the dashboard sticks out, causing a glare on the windshield. The manufacturer was contacted. Updated 03/20/06.

- Helena, MT, USA