2007 Toyota Prius body / paint problems

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Sep 252014

Prius

The cover to the back hatch latch has melted into a gooey black mass this makes it difficult (at best) to open the back hatch. There is no alternative internal method for opening the hatchback/trunk, . since the spare tire and tire changing gear (jack, wrench, etc.) are stored in the back, this is a serious safety hazard. This is an obvious defect in the material used for the latch cover - the deterioration of this part can in no way be attributable to neglect or abuse on the part of the driver/owner of the vehicle. Should be recalled and replaced by Toyota.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 122014

Prius

The back latch of my 2007 Toyota Prius has degraded ("melted" almost). It no longer functions properly, and I am unable to open the back hatch door easily. Sometimes it requires considerable effort and perseverance to get it open. I am concerned that in the case of an emergency, I will not be able to get the door open. This is a major cause for concern and it is a serious safety hazard.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 072013

Prius 4-cyl

The rubber on the rear hatch latch was defective and degenerated into a pile of goo, making it difficult to open the rear hatch door. This is a well-known defect for this model and year, but Toyota has so far not made an extended warranty to have the problem repaired at no charge to the owner of the vehicle.

- Asheville, NC, USA

Aug 042009

Prius 4-cyl

The rubber cover of the external trunk latch has melted. On many occasions, the latch opens only after many attempts. A web search found many other owners who complain about the same problem.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Jul 312014

Prius

Rear hatch release latch has been getting stick to the touch and increasingly difficult to open. Tried cleaning the latch and discovered that the rubber covering the latch seems to be melting. Checked online and discovered that this seems to be a common problem and, if not corrected, will likely result in latch release switch failure. The location of the rubber latch release cover protects it from direct sunlight and there seems to be no reasonable explanation for the failure of this part other than a defect in manufacture.

- Weatherford, TX, USA

Jul 262013

Prius 4-cyl

2007 Prius liftback black rubber switch-handle is melting and black rubber tar is all over hands when touching the switch-handle. Reported for years by other owners on priuschat blog: priuschat.com/threads/2007-Prius-trunk-hatch-release-rubber-piece-melted.71647/page-3 should be a recall for this defective melting rubber handle which is on hands whenever you touch it. Very hot to touch during summer weather too. Part numbers for 2007 Prius (but always double check them!): 84905-47010 - for models with smart entry. 84840-47020 - for models without smart entry. Local dealer acknowledges the defective part is common, but would not replace/repair for free. The blog above shows countless numbers of similar cases costing as much as >$300 to replace. This is also happening in our 2009 Prius too.

- West Hills, CA, USA

Apr 102014

Prius 4-cyl

The back door latch of my 2007 Toyota Prius has degraded ("melted" almost). It no longer functions properly, and I am unable to open the back hatch door. Sometimes it required considerable effort and perseverance to get it open. I cannot open it anymore as the latch broke. I am concerned that in the case of an emergency, I will not be able to get the door open. This is a major cause for concern and it is a serious safety hazard. Blue 2007 Prius in cupertino, ca.

- Cupertino, CA, USA

Jan 112014

Prius 4-cyl

Parking my Prius, my foot on the brake pedal, I hit a very small patch of black ice with the right front wheel. The car slanted briefly to the left--then there was a sudden surge of engine power. The car rushed over a mound of ice and snow, jumped the curb, rushed forward between a wall and a tree, narrowly missing it, and crashed into a parked Toyota truck facing outward from the curb. My Prius hit the heavy truck with enough force to knock it six feet for their North and three feet to the West. After impact, the engine continued to make a lot of noise, a sound I've never heard before in seven years of driving the car. It was attempting to surge past the truck, which I believe caused the most damage to the front left bumper of the car. I was stunned and didn't think to turn off the ignition before it quit on its own after perhaps ten seconds. The body was sheared back, strips of blue paint hanging in shreds. I crawled out the passenger side unhurt. (the air bags did not deploy.)

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Dec 022006

Prius

The trunk handle has melted - turning the rubber into a sticky goo - and one is unable to open the trunk. Local Toyota dealer removed and replaced the rear hatch switch at the cost of $310.22..the local Toyota dealer informed me that this repair was not unexpected in that a similar problem on the Scion has been identified and is being repaired by Toyota at their expense. Other reports on the web highlight the same problem with the Prius. Request have been sent to Toyota to cover the cost of this repair, but they have refused to pay for this defect.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Feb 152014

Prius 4-cyl

During the summer of 2011, we noticed the trunk latch mechanism to be sticky and melting, leaving black stuff on our hands. We live in southwest Ohio, so temperatures are usually in the 80S-90S in the peak of summer. At times, this would cause the trunk latch not to work, and we couldn't open the trunk. During the fall months, things improved, and it wasn't as much of an issue. Once the colder winter months began, the trunk latch began to stick and wouldn't open when it was cold. I can recall several times trying to open the trunk unsuccessfully. Again, things improved once temperatures warmed up in spring. The whole cycle started again in the summer and repeated over and over. Over time, the part that the latch is connected to began to feel loose. I asked about it during my routine 80K mile service, and they said that the whole part would need to be replaced, not just the latch. Although we have the extended warranty coverage, apparently it was not covered and we could not afford to replace it at that time. Well, this February, the trunk latch was once again malfunctioning and would not open while running errands. At one location, I tried opening the trunk, squeezing the melted button, and the entire part that the switch is attached to (including the push button lock, the back-up camera, etc.) broke off of the car. I am 30something woman with average strength, and I don't feel I was being overly aggressive on trying to open the car. I believe this was due to the part not functioning and over time, the connections were just too weak. This should not have happened from normal wear and tear, and it is clearly a defect by the manufacturer. I have read online that this issue has occurred on many other Toyota Prius vehicles of the same age. I believe that Toyota needs to issue a recall and refund the $312.03 I had to spend to repair a defective part.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 012013

Prius

The rubber trunk latch has melted increasingly over time. When the weather is warm, opening the trunk leaves my hand covered in tar-like goo and the sensor is difficult to engage. In winter, the latch does not work at all and the trunk cannot be opened whatsoever. In addition to being incredibly annoying, this is a safety concern as it is a possible egress point should the car ever become wedged. Please get Toyota to repair this problem.

- Somerville, MA, USA

Jan 152009

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated during the winter, when he attempted to open the lift gate it failed to open. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection but they could not determine the cause of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 79,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Orangeburg, SC, USA

Oct 012013

Prius

Rear hatch handle liquefied.

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Oct 012013

Prius

The hatchback handle/lock has melted. Now when it's very cold you cannot open it without considerable force. My 16 year old daughter is driving the car and she can't get it open.

- New Hudson, MI, USA

Dec 202013

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius and the rubber has "melted" off if the latch and has made it nearly impossible to gain access to the rear compartment of my vehicle. It began with numerous black and sticky fingers then progressed to chunks of gooey of what I think was plastic coming off into my hands and has ended up being an almost impossible task to gain access via the back end of my car. From a very quick search of the internet, this appears to be a wide spread problem and everyone is getting the same answer I am getting from Toyota....pay up!! this has to be a mfg defect. I live in North Texas so yes, it does get hot here but melt the plastic off your car hot, I think not! please help us!

- Allen, TX, USA

Nov 012013

Prius

The rubber covering the external hatch latch at the rear of my 2007 Prius has degraded to the extent that the latch no longer functions properly. This is a design flaw for the 2007 Prius and very dangerous as it will not allow access into the trunk area in case of emergency. Because of the melted/degraded rubber my wife can no longer get into the trunk and I can only get into the trunk at random intervals with severe pressure placed on the rubber/switch area. It could be impossible for me to reach the spare in an emergency. It could also damage the electrical system with the pressure needed to make it work. This is clearly a Toyota design and materials problem and should be fixed by Toyota before someone gets hurt.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Aug 142013

Prius 4-cyl

Rubber hatch latch cover has deteriorated and it has become difficult to open the hatch, and very difficult in cold weather (my wife cannot open it and it is her car). I consider this a safety issue.

- San Antonio, NM, USA

Dec 012009

Prius 4-cyl

The rubber on the rear hatch release has deteriorated causing difficulty or impossibility of opening the rear hatch. This could pose a safety issue in an emergency.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 012013

Prius 4-cyl

The rubber trunk release melted this summer, creating a sticky mess and making it difficult to open the trunk. Had to try numerous times with great force to open the trunk. Now that the temperature has dropped, the rubber bar is frozen hard and I cannot depress it to open the trunk. This is a serious safety issue in the event of an emergency.

- Kensington, CT, USA

Nov 242013

Prius 4-cyl

The rear hatch release on my 2007 Toyota Prius has deteriorated and has become more and more difficult to open the hatch. Tonight it is very cold out and the mechanism stuck again and would not open. I tried unlocking to make sure it didn't re-lock the doors and pulled again on the latch and the whole back part broke off in my hand. The combination of the sticking and the cold made the plastic piece that is all that it is holding the latch brittle to the point of simply breaking while trying to open the hatch.

- Point Of Rocks, MD, USA