2007 Toyota Prius electrical problems

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 3 of 10)

Jan 012013

Prius 4-cyl

The back hatch door grip handle on the hatch of my 2007 Toyota Prius no longer functions properly. The rubber grip has degraded and is soft and sticky during warm weather and in cold weather becomes nearly immovable. The back hatch door grip handle frequently jams rendering the car inaccessible through the rear compartment. This is a major cause for concern and is a serious safety hazard. There have been multiple cases of this complaint reported. This rubber grip is clearly a material of poor quality and given the past history of electrical problems Toyota has had with the Prius it is highly probable that this is one more. Before someone is injured or dies as a result of not having egress from this vehicle Toyota needs to be made to take responsibility and provide repairs at no cost.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

Sep 122014

Prius

While driving on the highway, both headlights shut off. This caused a near accident with other motorists on the highway. By rapidly toggling the headlight switch on and off, the headlights turned back on. This has been a persistent issue even though I have had the bulbs replaced at a great expense.

- Saint Louis , MO, USA

May 012014

Prius 4-cyl

The buttons on the steering wheel began to stop working. One by one, each began to fail. I wasn't too worried since they're simply the climate and stereo controls, however, as I began researching all signs pointed to this being the "clock spring" assembly. This also controls the airbag and is a huge safety issue. I went to the dealer who confirmed and said this would cost $500 to repair. When I asked about the airbag they said they do not recommend that I drive the car because the airbag "might not work" anymore. After seeing a sufficient amount of posts here, I wanted to also add my feedback as it appears this is far more widespread than just an isolated incident. I have drive 4 other (non-Toyota) vehicles for well above 200,000 miles and never had this issue. My father (automotive mechanic for another car brand) said he's never had anyone come in with this issue before. Considering that toyta prides themselves as having safe vehicles, I would hope that they consider a recall on this life-threatening part failure.

- Alpha, IL, USA

Jul 312014

Prius

Rear hatch release latch has been getting stick to the touch and increasingly difficult to open. Tried cleaning the latch and discovered that the rubber covering the latch seems to be melting. Checked online and discovered that this seems to be a common problem and, if not corrected, will likely result in latch release switch failure. The location of the rubber latch release cover protects it from direct sunlight and there seems to be no reasonable explanation for the failure of this part other than a defect in manufacture.

- Weatherford, TX, USA

Jul 012014

Prius

The tail lights intermittently go out when driving at night, while the brake lights are fine. It is related to a problem with poor quality tail light sockets on this model and year. Replacement bulbs do not address the problem. This seems to be a common problem, not unique to my vehicle only.

- Methuen, MA, USA

Jun 022014

Prius

The hid headlights on my 2007 Toyota Prius appear to be defective. When I turn the lights on initially, they both illuminate, but the lights dim progressively, and after several minutes the lights are essentially dark. This occurs in both headlights and started only this month. This is a significant safety issue, as it is very dangerous to drive without working headlights (particularly when one assumes that the headlights are working since they turned on initially). It is my understanding that the issue is beyond replacing the hid headlight bulbs; according to the repair shop I visited, there may be a defect with the hid electronic control units (ecus). I understand as well that this is a defect that has occurred in numerous Toyota Prius vehicles and that Toyota in 2011 agreed to a settlement of a class action lawsuit that provided some repair coverage for certain owners.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Sep 042013

Prius 4-cyl

The right headlight had to be replaced. It would turn off and if I turned the lever on and off while I was driving it would come on for a while. On a dark night it was dangerous. I replaced the right headlight and it cost a total of $229.55 which I thought was outrageous. Now the driver's side headlight has gone out too. I might have to drive it only in daylight unless I can find a cheaper way to replace the headlight. I was stopped by the police for the first headlight out, but given a warning. I bought the car to save money but headlight replacement costs are way too much in my estimation.

- Melrose, FL, USA

Oct 172013

Prius 4-cyl

I have a 2007 touring Prius with hid headlamps and 1 of the headlamp assembly started leaking water and Toyota of kingsport, tn. Replaced it on Oct. 28th 2013 and charged me $342.30 after discount. Now the new headlight and the other one is going off while driving and this happened on May 29th 2014. There is no way a headlight should fail in 6 or 7 months. Thank you for listening to my complaint, as I can't afford to keep replacing these very expensive headlamps. I went online and it seems I'm not the only one with this problem and can you get Toyota to do something about this? I would appreciate any help you can give us Prius owners with the hid headlamp system.

- Church Hill, TN, USA

May 152014

Prius

I have seen the recent recall related to many makes and models of Toyota's for the clock-springs or spiral cables in the steering wheel. This is a very important part of the car which provides the electrical connection for many components such as the steering wheel controls, horn, and air bags. I have heard of others with the same issues in their generation II Prius (2004-2009). My spiral cable has recently stopped working as well and seeing as this is a safety issue I believe Toyota should be responsible for correcting it.

- Hillsborough, NJ, USA

Apr 262014

Prius 4-cyl

Without warning, after stopping and turning off the engine, my Prius engine wouldn't start and all of the warning lights went on when I tried to turn the engine over.. thankfully, I was not in an intersection or on a road when this occurred. The Toyota dealer I had the car towed to, told me I had a poaa6 code and need to replace a transaxle assembly. (repair costs are over $4000) after a little bit of research, it appears that a lot of 2007 Prius owners are experiencing the same product failure. I just found out that Toyota has a service bulletin about the problem but does not cover the failure after 60,000 miles, except in a few states, such as California, which made Toyota extend warranty to 150,000 miles.. no Toyota mechanic ever advised me about this problem. Had I known it's potential, I would have purchased an extended warranty. Tsb number: Sb-0306-08 rev 2nhtsa number: 10037588tsb date: March 23, 2011date added to file: May 26, 2011 failing component: Electrical system:battery summary: Toyota: Malfunction light is on with two internal trouble codes. It is a problem with the transaxle assembly. 2004-2008 Prius.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 102014

Prius 4-cyl

The back door latch of my 2007 Toyota Prius has degraded ("melted" almost). It no longer functions properly, and I am unable to open the back hatch door. Sometimes it required considerable effort and perseverance to get it open. I cannot open it anymore as the latch broke. I am concerned that in the case of an emergency, I will not be able to get the door open. This is a major cause for concern and it is a serious safety hazard. Blue 2007 Prius in cupertino, ca.

- Cupertino, CA, USA

Apr 032014

Prius

I was returning home from a trip with a friend and driving on major freeway late at night, very dark with little visibility in a rural, unlit area..all lights in vehicle shut down while driving 70-75 mph. We could not see anything even the road, was like driving blind and very frightening trying to navigate the Prius off the road safely without getting hit by other vehicles. Once I stopped the vehicle off the side of the road in the far left lane we turned the vehicle off, but left the hazard lights on and let the vehicle sit for a few minutes. We started again, lights came on, and I drove the vehicle another 100 miles without any incident until we entered the city. I had a similar problem driving the 12 remaining miles home, but the front yellow lights worked and I had the hazard and brake lights working. The city lights improved visibility. I took the vehicle in and the only problem they could find was with one of the headlights. I was told I needed to replace both. I can't emphasize how dangerous and frightening this experience was for my friend and I, still unsure how we avoided a tragedy. I would like the NHTSA to investigate and make a recommendation to have some type of warning in the vehicle.

- Salt Lake, UT, USA

Mar 182014

Prius 4-cyl

Brake (red color) warning lights appear while driving at 55 mph; yellow color indicator on ABS, vsc. Once these warning lights appear, I somehow lose 25-50% of my braking power. Not sure what is wrong despite getting brand new wheels, replaced all-new rotors, brake pads, oil and filter change. This is the 5th time it has happened in the last few weeks. Toyota should be held liable and to replace the full cost of any necessary fixes to the hydraulic brakes or run a diagnostic of the entire vehicle's electrical or brakes system or anything that leads to the dashboard warning lights at 100%. this will be a serious issue because it can lead to serious accidents if owners of this vehicle experience the same issues.

- Hollis Hills, NY, USA

Mar 092014

Prius 4-cyl

Hybrid battery failed. The battery is hyped as lasting the lifetime of your car. 7 years and 131K is not a lifetime in my opinion. If I lived or bought my car in ca, it would be covered under warranty. Because I live in Alabama, it is not. Warranty should be standardized.

- Alabaster, AL, USA

Mar 092014

Prius

For the second time in a year, the electronic display panel on my 2007 Toyota Prius has gone completely dark I.e, inoperative when I started the vehicle. This panel displays the vehicle speed, gas gauge and various status & warning lights. The car still is able to be driven even though the display panel does not work, which is a hazard. The first time it happened I had the Toyota dealership's service dept. Look at the car and they could not reproduce the problem. This time I noticed that the interior door light was lit. However no door was open. While the vehicle was powered, I open and closed every door including the rear hatch. The door light remained lit. I then hit the power button to power the car off and then back on. The interior door light went out and the display panel came on, resolving the issue. I've tried to replicate the problem by opening a door and powering up the car without success. There has to be another factor involved that causes the display to fail to operate.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Mar 032014

Prius 4-cyl

The display screen in the center of the dash in completely black. It won't turn on.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Feb 232014

Prius 4-cyl

The bulbs turn off intermittently for no reason. I already replaced the bulbs but the problem did not go away. This is very unsafe. I made my research and there are many complaints of this kind of problem with the 2007 Prius. Toyota should recall and fix this problem. This is very unsafe.

- Haymarket, VA, USA

Apr 082013

Prius

We own a Toyota Prius and have had the dealer replace the headlight 4 times. The first time we simply got in the vehicle and when we turned it on we realized it was not working. After we had it fixed about 2 months later we got pulled over and given a warning to get it fixed. We did so again and again with no solution. Since our last time the dealership has advised us to go to the Toyota dealership but there telling us that is simply a bad headlight and it will cost about 200 to fix it. I showed them where in 8 months it was changed 3 times and they simply said it must be human error because everything else looks fine.

- Columbus, IN, USA

Jan 062014

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the contact heard a high pitch screeching sound as all the warning lights illuminated. The contact lost control of the brakes and the engine was shut off. The vehicle still had no brakes. The failure later recurred and the vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The dealer stated that there was an error in the mother board that they repaired. However, the failure recurred. The contact had the vehicle towed to the dealer where the dealer then stated that the actuator would need replacing. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacture was contacted. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000. Updated 3/12/14

- Plantation, FL, USA

Jan 152010

Prius 4-cyl

2007 Toyota Prius rear hatch handle failure. Rubber cover melts into electric switch making it inoperable.the back latch of my 2007 Toyota Prius first degraded ("melted" almost) over the course of several months/years. It no longer functioned properly, and I was unable to open the back hatch door easily. Sometimes it required considerable effort and perseverance to get it open. The malfunctioning handle started to get loose until eventually if just fall off and it's just hanging by the electrical wires. I had to tape it until it gets fixed I am concerned that in the case of an emergency, I will not be able to get the door open. This is a major cause for concern and it is a serious safety hazard.this is a safety hazard because the trunk is the only way to access the spare, any of my repair tools, emergency kit, flares, jumpers, etc. There is no alternative internal method for opening the hatchback/trunk. Toyota needs a recall of this defective part as the cost to repair it is exorbitant, quoted to me over $200 for the part alone. I called Toyota customer service and they won't fixed their faulty parts until the government forces them to. It's sad that it might take some injuries or death for this issue to be fixed.

- Tucson, AZ, USA