2007 Toyota Prius electrical problems

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 4 of 10)

Jun 012013

Prius 4-cyl

Headlight and taillights go out and then come back on. Also, when on they seem to be very weak.

- Katy, TX, USA

Dec 292013

Prius 4-cyl

I too am a victim of the melting rear hatch cover. The rubber cover to the external trunk latch has deteriorated to the point where it is either gooey to the touch in warm weather or frozen solid to the point where it is immovable in colder temperatures. This is a safety hazard since I am unable to access the spare tire. The rubber appears to be blocking the release mechanism. The deterioration started during the summer of 2013. This issue has worsened and beginning December 29, I have been unable to open the rear hatch. It is clearly a manufacturer defect and is the responsibility of Toyota to replace this handle at no expense to the consumer. However, they are not willing to do so.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Dec 202013

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius and the rubber has "melted" off if the latch and has made it nearly impossible to gain access to the rear compartment of my vehicle. It began with numerous black and sticky fingers then progressed to chunks of gooey of what I think was plastic coming off into my hands and has ended up being an almost impossible task to gain access via the back end of my car. From a very quick search of the internet, this appears to be a wide spread problem and everyone is getting the same answer I am getting from Toyota....pay up!! this has to be a mfg defect. I live in North Texas so yes, it does get hot here but melt the plastic off your car hot, I think not! please help us!

- Allen, TX, USA

Nov 012013

Prius

The rubber covering the external hatch latch at the rear of my 2007 Prius has degraded to the extent that the latch no longer functions properly. This is a design flaw for the 2007 Prius and very dangerous as it will not allow access into the trunk area in case of emergency. Because of the melted/degraded rubber my wife can no longer get into the trunk and I can only get into the trunk at random intervals with severe pressure placed on the rubber/switch area. It could be impossible for me to reach the spare in an emergency. It could also damage the electrical system with the pressure needed to make it work. This is clearly a Toyota design and materials problem and should be fixed by Toyota before someone gets hurt.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Dec 122013

Prius 4-cyl

The hatch handle made of rubber is deteriorating and now moisture gets in the switch and when it gets below freezing you can open the hatch. This rubber piece should not be coming apart like this. Many complaints have surfaced concerning this issue. If you needed to change a tire you could not get the hatch open to get the tire or emergency equipment.

- California, MD, USA

Dec 012009

Prius 4-cyl

The rubber on the rear hatch release has deteriorated causing difficulty or impossibility of opening the rear hatch. This could pose a safety issue in an emergency.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 032013

Prius 4-cyl

I am one of the many victims of the defective Prius 2007 hatch opening switch. After 4 years the rubber cover turned to tar for my 2007 Toyota Prius. Essentially the rubber cover melts into the electronic switch making it inoperable.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Nov 122013

Prius 4-cyl

The rubber latch that provides access to the trunk area of my 2007 Toyota Prius has essentially melted. When I touch it my hand comes away with a black gooey substance. In the summertime this is more of an annoyance than anything (I have to carry around wet-wipes, and I often put groceries etc. In the passenger cabin just to avoid accessing the trunk), but in the winter it can be quite dangerous, as the melted latch freezes, making it impossible to open the hatchback. This means that I cannot access my tools, spare tire, snow equipment, or anything else back there. The degradation of the handle latch actually began some time ago (it probably began after I had owned the car for about 4 years) but it has gotten worse over time so I finally decided to try to get it fixed. My Toyota dealer wanted to charge me over $300 to replace the part. This struck me as absolutely outrageous given that it appears to be a design defect that creates a serious safety hazard.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 242013

Prius 4-cyl

While driving vehicle at night, noticed that passenger side head lamp turned off. Vehicle was stopped on the curb and tried to turn the headlight switch on off again, but could not turn on one head light. I was afraid to drive the vehicle with one lamp, since local township police can give me a violation ticket. The high beam works but not the low beam. Toyota needs to fix this issue via product recall.

- Collegeville, PA, USA

Sep 092011

Prius 4-cyl

While driving to work one headlight went out and stayed out until I stopped the car turned off the lights and then turned them back on. This went on for a week and we took the car into Toyota dealership where the replaced the bulbs at no charge cause we were under warranty. However, this problem has continued to happen over the last 80000 miles. Now we are seeing both headlights go out at the same time and or one or the other. We are tired of purchasing new headlights over and over again..

- Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Oct 032012

Prius

Toyota Prius dashboard failed in idle and while driving posing a death risk due to mileage per hour not displaying and the inability to shut off your car when stopped this is a serious matter and Toyota needs to recall the whole Toyota Prius and give everyone there money back for over paying for this car in 2007.

- Saratoga Springs , UT, USA

Oct 032013

Prius 4-cyl

After the car has been parked for awhile, the dashboard was completely black. The car powered on, but there was no speedometer, no fuel display, and no odometer. The car will drive and gas engine and hybrid system works as usual, but there are no power steering, the turn signals do not work, and the wiper does not work. After driving for 5 to 15 minutes, the dash would light up and car drives like normal again and the problems mentioned go away. Based on internet research, this seems to a common problem. There are almost identical complaints on this site including NHTSA id number 10544698. Significant safety concerns exist due to the temporary lost of power steering, no turn signals, and no wiper during a rain.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Sep 282012

Prius 4-cyl

During cold weather I lose all odometer speedometer backup light gas gauge. Back up lights have caused a lot of close call when I'm backing up one time I got close to hitting a pedestrian because they did not know I was baking up I have ran out of fuel on the freeway and I never know how fast I'm going. This problem is well documented and Toyota knows a bout the problem but will not issue a recall.

- North Hollywood , CA, USA

Sep 202013

Prius 4-cyl

When the car was turned on in the morning after sitting overnight, the dashboard was completely black. The car powered on, but there was no speedometer, no fuel display, no odometer, and no back-up camera when put into reverse. When I got to my destination, approximately 15 minutes drive time, I was unable to power off the car after repeated attempts. The car finally powered down after I held the power button for several seconds. When the car was turned back on after about 11 hours, the dashboard was working again, also powering down worked as normal.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Aug 222013

Prius

I was driving on a dark country road when both headlights went out. I turned the headlight control off and then on and then the lights came on again. The car has a long history of the passenger side headlight going out intermittently. When it was just one light intermittently going out, I had reported this to the dealer and later to an independent mechanic. I was told that they didn't find a problem. After this most recent experience with both lights going out at the same time, my mechanic again said that it was not happening when he test drove the car. I asked him to keep it longer for more testing since I was afraid now to drive the car at night. He kept it longer and did experience the driver side headlight going out. He recommended replacing both bulbs for a total price of $548. I called the Toyota dealer to ask what they could do for me. Since the car is past 50,000 miles they said they would have to charge $475 to change both headlights. I researched online and discovered that this is a very common problem in the Prius. In my opinion it is a serious safety issue and not a normal part maintenance issue.

- Chadds Ford, PA, USA

May 262007

Prius

Toyota sold me a brand new Prius with a headlamp not working. After I signed all the purchase papers, they pointed out that the right headlamp was not working and told me that it was alright to drive home and return the next days for repair. After four or five trips to the Toyota service department, they replaced the defective control unit. At a later date when the car had about 50,000 miles, I was driving on a freeway from los angeles to menifee, ca, at night in the hov lane. I seemed to have difficulty seeing the road and thought something was wrong with my eyes. So I switched lanes to the slow lane where, with less glare from the oncoming cars, I realized that both headlamps were not working. This was a dangerous situation on the high speed crowded freeway, so I pulled off the road at the next exit. Toyota replaced the headlamps, and I was compensated for the cost of repair upon the outcome of a class action lawsuit. Recently I noticed that the headlamps were failing again at around 115,000 miles. Immediately I had Toyota repair both headlamps, as I didn't want to experience the hazard of both headlamps failing again. From my personal experiences, there is a dangerous design flaw in the Prius that must be addressed especially before both headlamps fail again. I am concerned the next time the headlamps fail I will have no advanced symptoms and both might fail again simultaneously while IżżM on the road at night.

- Menifee, CA, USA

Oct 252012

Prius 4-cyl

I purchased my 07 Prius from a dealership in September of 2012. There was only 1 previous owner & at that time my car's mileage was around 55K. I commute 1 hr and 20 minutes to work (one way) & my first incident occurred after dropping my son off at daycare early in the morning, almost a month after purchasing my car. I noticed my right headlight was out. When I got into my car, I turned the headlights off and back on. Both my headlights came back on so I didn't think twice about it. Afterwards, almost every month I noticed my right headlight turned off, which started to concern me, but after getting quotes on how much the repairs would be I knew it would take some time for me to budget the costs into my monthly expenses. After another month or so, I found myself driving on highway 55 westbound (cary, nc) at around 9pm at night & both of my headlights suddenly shut off. Highway 55 does not have much lighting in the first place & I am very lucky that my 2 year old son was not with me. I panicked but quickly turned my headlights off & on again. Fortunately, they turned back on. Now almost every month, & aside from one of my headlights failing nearly every 2 days, both of my headlights randomly shut off. In fact, my headlights shut off again this morning at around 5:45am during my commute to work on highway 55. I did some research but found Toyota has only agreed to pay for repairs for '04-'09 models (with the same hid headlight issue) through the earlier of 5 years warranty and 50,000 miles or reimburse drivers who have already paid to have the problem corrected. I've already contacted Toyota at 1800-331-4331 and filed a complaint but I was told that my car (at 102K miles) was now ineligible for this program. This issue should be an official recall to avoid any severe accidents it can cause for owners who cannot afford upfront repairs.

- Cary, NC, USA

Jul 252013

Prius 4-cyl

Passenger-side high intensity headlight started intermittently failing. The light goes out randomly and unexpectedly. Turning both headlights off and back on again temporarily fixes the issue.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

May 152013

Prius 4-cyl

After taking the vehicle in for a recall for a steering column issue, 3 of the buttons on the steering column fail to operate once the recall repair was complete. The dealer says it's an issue with the clockspring cable and are not willing to repair it at no cost.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Mar 062013

Prius 4-cyl

After short period of servicing a recall on steering extension shaft #C0T, some of steering wheel buttons stopped functioning due to damages to clock-spring cable. The dealership don't want to admit their technician fault failing to realign the steering wheel to center position. Many of Prius second generation hybrid owners been recalled have this issue after fixing the shaft. Is the damaged spring cables already were or due to lack of expertise?

- Livonia, MI, USA