2007 Toyota Prius electrical problems

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 6 of 10)

Sep 232012

Prius

We have had some unseasonably hot weather here recently; on the day in question the car thermometer said it was 91 degrees in full shade. The rubber gasket covering the hatch opening switch was attached when I parked. When I came back, it looked like the gasket had literally melted off one of the screws; the covering was just hanging on to screw on the driver's side by a few gooey threads. That left a melted, tar-like residue on the hatch opening switch. Now the switch is covered in gunk and nearly inoperable. The Prius does not have a trunk release, and without a repair the hatch is nearly inaccessible. This is a major safety issue because the hatch on the Prius is a safety access point (the largest on the vehicle); the hatch is also the only way to access the batteries stored in the rear in case of fire or accident. When I googled the issue, I found multiple reports in hot weather areas of exactly the same issue, but I found no official response from Toyota. My understanding is that this is a very common problem, especially here in southern California, and dealerships keep the part on hand in hot weather for exactly this reason.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Aug 242011

Prius

The rubber covering on the rear hatch opening mechanism is melting. I have two other model year Prius vehicles (2004 and 2006) and this has not occurred on those - only on this 2007 car. It is becoming difficult to open the hatch and it will probably fail completely soon.

- Fairview, TX, USA

Jun 272012

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving on freeway (us 101 southbound in marin county caat 8:30 am), dry weather 60 deg F. entire dashboard went black (speedometer, fuel gauge and other indicator lights all quit providing readings) and the energy monitor screen panel, while still lit, quit providing data (the miles shown on this panel were stuck at 107). Therefore, no speedometer readings were available. More importantly, I had extreme difficulty turning the Prius off when I reached my destination--depressed and held power button several times, with foot on brake and auto in "park". radio and air conditioning kept running, door would not lock and the energy monitor still showed background information. Otherwise, Prius drove normally. This was the second time this happened in last two weeks. After several tries, holding power button down for several seconds, I finally did get the Prius to shut off. And, when restarted, the dashboard appeared to operate normally. Not having dashboard indicators while driving is disturbing, but auto could be operated. Not being able to turn vehicle off is more problematic because it is difficult to tell Prius was not shut down (the fan continues running when the car shuts down normally and electric motor is almost silent)--my indication was that the radio was still on and air conditioning was still running. If the car had been in drive, it could have taken off as electric motor was still on (I tested when I thought it was peculiar that radio was still on).

- San Rafael, CA, USA

May 092012

Prius 4-cyl

When I started my Prius and the dash lights did not come on (fuel gauge, mileage, speedometer etc). I put the car in reverse and the backup camera picture did not appear on the screen. The screen was on but continued to show the consumption screen. I then put the car in park and hit the power button and the car would not turn power off. I put the car in drive then park and reverse then park several times hitting the power button after each try and the car eventually powered off. I started the car again and headed to the golf course and called Toyota and made an appointment for the same day. The next time I got in the car (about 4 hours later) the dash lights came on and I drove home and the car powered off normally. I cancelled the appointment at Toyota for now and will see what happens. The service person at the dealership said that she had not heard of this problem.

- College Station, TX, USA

May 052011

Prius 4-cyl

Headlamps turn off on their own intermittently. The left light will go off more than the right. I usually correct the situation by turning off the lights then back on. This problem has increased in frequency. I read in an online forum (priuschat) that this is a common problem.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jan 152012

Prius 4-cyl

1. the right-front headlight often goes out after the car has been driven for a while. (fortunately, both headlights don't haven't out yet!) this really should be considered a safety issue - why isn't there a recall? 2. the back-up camera often stops working for a few days at a time. This is a problem, given the very poor visibility the mirrors have behind this car.

- Kailua, HI, USA

Aug 272010

Prius 4-cyl

The headlights keep going out. This happens at any speed and in any climate. Flickering them off and on alleviates the problem. Been happening for close to 2 years now.

- San Dimas, CA, USA

Mar 062012

Prius 4-cyl

Hid headlight random failure while driving Prius. Unreliable to drive vehicle during the night.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 202006

Prius

The mileage is between 30 and 35 mpg, which is a long ways from the sticker claim. The headlight goes on and off intermittently, even though replaced several times. Second headlight is also failing. The blower works only intermittently, usually after hitting a large bump in the road.

- Midvale, UT, USA

Oct 192011

Prius 4-cyl

2007 Toyota Prius. Consumer writes in regards to a serious electrical failure the consumer had to call aaa for emergency road side assistance. When the consumer went to the dealer to the retrieve the vehicle, he was handed a repair charge of over $ 5,300. The consumer stated the cause of the failure was incorrectly jump starting the vehicle. According to the dealer, the incorrect procedure in attempting to jump start the vehicle lead to a main fuse failure and complete failure of the inverter-converter.

- Gig Harbor, WA, USA

May 162011

Prius

Approximately one week after having my battery replaced by a Toyota dealership in temecula, ca the digital display on my dashboard stopped working and no longer displayed my speed, gas tank gauge, trip mileage or total mileage. After another week or so passed, the display, or cluster display, as it is listed on a Toyota repair estimate from November 3, 2011, would work intermittently by again displaying my speed, gas tank gauge, etc. The display would sometimes work for a few hours and then stop working, and not work again for several days or a week or more. Currently, it the display continues to work intermittently only, causing me to drive for days or a week or more with no visual display of how fast I am driving or how much gas I have remaining in my tank. This failure of the cluster display is a hazard to me and especially to my young teenage daughter because we do not know for sure how fast we are driving or how much gas we have remaining at any given time when the display stops working. I had my vehicle inspected by the Toyota dealership in temecula, ca and they recommended replacing the combo meter since they believe there is an open circuit in the combo meter, but they could not guarantee that their recommendation would resolve the problem. They then advised me that a service bulletin was issued for problems with the cluster display, but no recall has been ordered and they could not cover the cost of fixing the problem under warranty. I then called Toyota corporate offices at 800-331-4331and spoke to the service director, who offered me a 40% discount on the cost of replacing the combo meter on a reimbursement basis and said if a recall was ordered I would get a full refund. I believe the problem on my Toyota Prius of an intermittently functioning cluster display presents a significant hazard for the reasons stated above and warrants a recall.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Dec 032011

Prius 4-cyl

No one injured. Minor problem, but Toyota refuses suggestions "for legal reasons", so I have to report it to you, and hope that you will relay to Toyota. Good car, good dash lighting system, nice rheostat to dim the instrument panel lights at night, to assist in night road visibility. The problem is that as you dim the instrument panel lights, the lighted symbol for the emergency flasher light switch goes completely dark before the instrument panel lights do. So, on a dark night, you dim the lights to make the instrument panel lights just bright enough to read, without excess reflection or distraction, and the emergency flasher switch becomes invisible because its light went completely out before the other instrument panel lights did. This increases distraction and reduces reaction time when you need to find and turn on the emergency flasher light switch. I doubt this problem is limited to just my car. The simple solution (everything seems simple to the guy not doing the work) would be to design and wire the dash panel lights so that the emergency flasher switch light stays a little brighter than all the other lights, as they all dim. That way, the switch you might most need in a hurry will be visible, even if you have dimmed your instrument panel lights. Quicker turn-on of the emergency flasher alerts following drivers sooner, increasing their safety, and mine. Thanks for working to keep us all safer on the road, and to improve the vehicles we drive.

- Penn Laird, VA, USA

Oct 012011

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contacted stated that on two separate occasions, the lights on the instrument panel failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 67,000 and the current mileage was 69,500.

- Irvington, VA, USA

Jul 012011

Prius

The back door opener (hatch back) completely melted starting in July. The back tarry substance gets on my hands when I'm trying to open the door.. in addition, I cannot consistently open the back hatch - another door needs to be open for the back hatch to open.

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Oct 142011

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the upper coating of the rear hatch melted and the hatch was unable to be opened. In addition, the electrical switch for the door hatch malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The contact did not have the electric switch replaced. The contact stated vehicle was unsafe because the rear hatch could not open. The failure mileage was 87,000. Updated 11/16/11 updated 11/30/11

- Shingle Springs , CA, USA

Mar 102011

Prius 4-cyl

The passengers side hid headlight on my 2007 Toyota Prius has started to fail intermittently. It will come back on for a while when the lights are turned off and back on. This constitutes a significant safety issue.

- Anthem, AZ, USA

Jan 012009

Prius 4-cyl

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius and the driver headlight intermittently turn off. I can turn the headlight switch off and back on and it usually turns light back on for awhile. The dealer cost for the headlight was $300 plus.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Dec 102010

Prius

Hid headlight in 2007 Toyota Prius keeps going on and off. This is a known issue with Toyota. It is expensive to replace the bulb. I wanted to add my name to the list of people affected by this problem.

- Monkton, MD, USA

Dec 132010

Prius

Toyota 2007 Prius (us model) hid headlights are intermittent. This has been going on for years and replacement bulbs don't fix the issue. Lights may extinguish at any time with no warning creating a dangerous driving condition, particularly at night. Thousands of owners have complained about this issue, but no recall has been provided by Toyota.

- Oshawa, Ontario, Canada, 00, USA

Jan 012009

Prius

Headlights go out while in on mode.

- Vacaville, CA, USA