2007 Toyota Prius electrical problems

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 9 of 10)

Apr 012009

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius, and the driver's side headlight has been giving me problems for about the last 20K miles(50-70K). Toyota dealer said it would cost over $400 to replace the bulb, but I can turn the lights on and off to make it light up again. Seems like this is an electrical problem and not the bulb. When searching for a cheaper alternative, I ran across how many of the Prius are having the same problem. I live in a very rural area with curvy winding roads getting home in the evening. When that light cuts out I can hardly see the road. I don't know how this isn't a safety issue, especially when it could happen to both as I read has happened with others.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Sep 012009

Prius

Intermittent failure of driver's side headlight. The light will come back on if the light switch is turned off and then back on, and will remain on for a an unpredictable period of time, some times as long two weeks before failing again. Toyota has advise me to bring the vehicle to a service facility when the light is out, but the light fails on weekends, holidays, or late at night when the dealership is not open. An internet search disclosed that this headlight failure is a fairly common defect in 2007 Prius.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Aug 162008

Prius

I bought a 2007 Toyota Prius on August 1, 2007. I didn't have any issues with my car until August of 2008 when I started having issues with my headlights and tail lights (they would go off and then when I turned the lights off and flipped back on, they would come back on again). Twice while driving at night, all of my lights went out (headlights, tail lights and dash board lights)! I brought car into dealer and they didn't know what was wrong but replaced the headlights (to the tune of $1200 a piece). I didn't have trouble with my headlights after than until this year (August of 2009). My passenger headlight is going out and then flipping back on for a bit (although the bulb seems dull) when I turn lights off and then back on again. The problem is they won't stay on and it seems insane to pay $2400 a year for what obviously seems to be a vehicle defect; not to mention the safety issue of only having 1 headlight that works or tail light and dashboard lights going out while driving at night!

- Brainerd, MN, USA

Mar 222009

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota pruis. The contact stated that intermittently while driving the head lights fail; which reduces visibility. An impairment of visibility while driving increases the risk of vehicle crash. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection. He is in the process of having the head lights replaced at an expense of $800. The failure mileage was 30,000. The current mileage was 53,000. Updated 10/20/09

- Summerville, GA, USA

Jan 012008

Prius

My head lights in my 2007 Toyota Prius turn off for no reason. Sometimes it is just the right headlight but more recently it is both headlights. The dealer said that the original lights were faulty and that there is a new bulb (2nd generation) that will fix the problem. They want $587 to fix a problem that they admitted that was faulty. I have had it into repair shops that tell me the headlights are not the problem its the computer and the dealer tells me its not the computer. This started in early 2008.

- Alta Loma, CA, USA

Jun 232009

Prius

While driving across country boston to seattle in June, the right headlight on my 2007 Prius flickered and went out. The next day it was working ok, but the following day I noticed it went out again, during the day. I stopped in duluth to get an oil change, (kolar todayota invoice 210740) and asked them to check the headlights. They reported "headlights are working at the time." Thereafter the headlight went out several times intermittently. Cycling the power would sometimes bring it back on. When I got back to seattle, I took the car in and had the headlight replaced at a cost of $288 (Toyota of believe invoice ocs561092) at 48,260 miles. Shortly thereafter the left headlight started acting up in the same manner, and I was recently pulled over by the police for driving with one headlight out.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Jun 272009

Prius

Vehicle has 70,000 miles, 2007 Prius. Both headlights go off at random. Turning them off and back on will correct the problem temporarily until they go out again. Dealer says its the bulb shorting out $600 will correct the problem. I'm waiting to get the car home to keep the lights on while at a stand still to disprove theory of bumps in the road causing short.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Jul 012009

Prius

I have a 2007 Prius and the headlights are blinking out. The dealership wanted 500+ dollars for the repair, saying they had to take the bumper off. I have since found out its just the bumper cover, not the bumper. The problem is in the electrical system, and this seems to be a prevalent problem with the priuses.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 272009

Prius

I was driving down a familiar road when my headlights went out. My car is a 2007 Prius. In talking to a repairman at the shop I discovered that high intensity (and high heat) bulbs would stop working without any warning if the bulbs became too hot. If they were turned off for a few seconds they would cool off and work again. As a result I have no way of knowing when the bulbs are going to go off. I took the car into the Toyota dealer and was told that although both bulbs appeared to be working, the fact that they had both stopped working indicated that they must have an internal short and should be replaced by the same type of bulb, with the same problem at a cost of $807. The only reason I am alive to report this incident is because I was on a straight stretch of a familiar road, and there were other cars around. I turned my lights for 30 seconds and then turned them back on. At least one of the headlights came back on so I could continue home. I requested headlights that would not go off and on without warning however so far Toyota has only offered to replace the headlights with the same unreliable headlights.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Jun 082009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius with 47K miles. It lost power while driving on the highway. The car barely made it to the side of the road. After a little while, it restarted. The warning lights indicated there was no gas but the tank was full. The screen also showed that the battery was dead. This is the second time this happened. The dealer says the car checks out.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

May 192009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius - diver side headlamp goes out intermittently while driving. If the headlight switch is turned off and then on again then the lights go on again. Failure repeats itself. Updated 06/01/09.

- Mt Sinai, NY, USA

Apr 152009

Prius

On multiple occasions one or both of the headlights on my 2007 Toyota Prius have gone out without warning. The lights come back on when I turn the light control completely off and then turn it back on. The lights will then work for awhile before turning off again. There is no alarm or notice the headlights have gone off. I reported the problem to Toyota (800-331-4331) two weeks ago. When and if they return my calls, it's typically right before the person calls goes home for the day. On multiple occasions, I have called and there have been "communications errors" on the Toyota end. They tell me someone will call within 24-72 hours and we start all over again. In my opinion, they are avoiding me.

- Florence, SC, USA

Apr 122009

Prius

The passenger side headlight turns off intermittently at night. Comes on and goes off randomly, even when on a flat surface or sitting still. Recently I was driving on a dark, winding road and it went out presenting an extremely dangerous condition. According to the discussion boards, this is a very common indication and very expensive remediation item which will prevent many from fixing during out current economic crisis. I am very worried about my wife driving at night in this car don't want my children in it at night. This is a very serious issue in that the driver could hit something resulting in injury to the occupants, or another car could become confused by the headlight failure resulting in an incident. Again, the message boards are loaded with discussion on this item.

- Newtown Square, PA, USA

Feb 012009

Prius

Hid headlamps on my 2007 Toyota Prius do not function properly. For the past several months they have flickered off and on. Turning the light off and then on, while driving corrected the problem for a while. Now one lamp only stays on for 1 minute or less. The other still goes off and will turn back on if the lights are turned off and then back on. Toyota's response is to want to charge me $350 for a new bulb or over $1000 for a controller board for the computer. From what I have read on line my car is not the only Prius with this problem. We need a recall now before some one's lights fail at night and they die!

- Highland, IL, USA

Mar 102008

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the high intensity (hid) headlights would become inoperable intermittently. The dealer stated that there was a wire defect that caused the shortage in the headlights. The front driver's side headlight was replaced for $400 at the contact's expense. Less than six months later, the passenger side headlight was replaced. In addition, the entire lighting assembly was replaced for $350 at the contact's expense. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 30,000 and current mileage was less than 48,000. Updated 04-17-09 updated 04/21/09.

- Penbroke, NH, USA

Feb 052009

Prius

At 4:45 pm on 2/5/2009, I drove my 2007 Toyota Prius West on sw andover St. In seattle wa. I slowed as I made a right turn to park perpendicular to the street with a 6 foot high chain-link fence in front of me on top of a retaining wall. The bottom of the wall is 6 feet below street level on a paved parking area. As the Prius approached the fence, I braked to stop, but the car did not slow, so I floored the brake. The car hit a fence post, pulling it out of its mount and then the car moved over the top of the wall pushing the pole and fence over its hood & roof, . the front of the Prius dropped to the area below the wall while the rear remained on the top. The fence mesh stretched but slowed the Prius's forward movement and kept the rear from going over the wall.. the dashboard was still lit and I lowered the electrical windows and yelled for help. The first arrival told me to "turn off the car". this is significant because the only way he could have known the car was running was if he heard the sound of the Prius's gasoline engine that only kicks in at higher speeds. I opened the door and jumped down to the pavement. The police came and made a report. I did not receive a citation. The Prius was extracted by a tow company and hauled away. Fortunately I received no physical injury. The chain link fence was truly a safety net. On 2./12/ 2009, my insurance company, usaa, declared my Prius "totaled" and made a settlement payment. I thought perhaps my brakes had failed. I had my Prius receive a routine 25,000 mile check at the Toyota dealership just eight days before the accident. From articles on www.consumersafety.com I learned that similar accidents with the Prius have happened to other people. After reading their experiences, I now believe that "unintended acceleration" was the more likely cause of my accident.

- Burien, WA, USA

Jan 072009

Prius

I owned a 2007 Prius and lately it has these problems. The left head light goes out while driving more often than the right headlight. On several occasion, both headlights went out on it's own during driving. This is a serious problem that can lead to death if drivers were nears hazardous road such as California hwy 1 where drivers can fall off the cliff on turns with sudden headlights went out. To reset the lights by turn off and on again but the problem repeat with one light goes out every 5 minutes while driving. I think Toyota needs to issue a recall before someone got serious injury from this clearly a flaw in design. Steve

- San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 292008

Prius

I've been having issues with my right headlight going out intermittently. If I cycle the power the headlight usually comes back on. The dealer says there's nothing wrong. I've been pulled over once for an equipment violation already. Last night the headlight went out leaving me with limited visibility. As I rounded a corner I almost hit a deer standing on the shoulder as I couldn't see him/her due to the limited visibility.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Nov 222008

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius with about 40,000 miles on it now. At about 37,000 miles, my driver's side hid headlight would periodically go out while driving. Soon afterwards, the passenger side headlight would go out, an once both went out. The lights would come back on if the switch was turned off and then back on. I had the car checked by Toyota and had to replace the driver's side bulb for about $400. Now, the passenger side bulb is starting to go off more frequently and will have to be replaced. I was shocked that these hid bulbs did not have a longer life, failed so suddenly and at their high cost of replacement. It is a serious danger to be driving at night and have your headlights fail, particularly when replacement is not a simple or inexpensive task. The bulbs are not easily accessible. Public forums show that this is a common occurrence in the Toyota Prius, the replacements are from a different manufacturer and have no reported problems, yet no recall was made.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Nov 012008

Prius

I own and operate a 2007 Toyota Prius. To date I have been extremely satisfied with the vehicle. However, recently I have been experiencing intermittent failure of my passenger headlight and occasionally the brake light on the passenger side. This is a safety concern because I do not know when the light is on or off. The other day I was pulled over by the police and received a repair order. The cost from the dealer to replace the bulb is $535, apparently this is maintenance and a non warranty item. Personally I think there is a design flaw if it requires a mechanic to change a lightbulb. I am posting a message here in hopes that this will convert into a safety recall. I am going to work with the dealer and Toyota to try and get this repair covered. Wish me luck!

- Westminster, MD, USA