2007 Toyota Prius electrical problems

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Nov 232016

Prius

This 07 Toyota Prius dash instrument lights will go out whether stationary or in motion and or not come on at the start of the vehicle. The car can be driven but there is no way to reference the speed or vital functions of the vehicle when this occurs. Also the vehicle will not turn off when the power button is pushed when the dash is inoperative unless you hold the power button down for an extended amount of time. Toyota knows about this issue but the time limit on the unpublished extended warranty that I was told has expired. We bought this vehicle new in 07.this vehicle started doing this recently. This should have been a recall item on this vehicle due to the potential safety issue.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Nov 012016

Prius

Dashboard display (including backup display) intermittently functions. This happens when stationary, in motion, on a city street or highway, turning, driving straight, or breaking. The following unsafe conditions resulted: No speedometer, no gas gauge, no tire pressure gauge, no odometer, no cruise control, no backup display, etc.

- Georgetown, TX, USA

Nov 052016

Prius

As I was coming back from livermore to san jose down the sunol grande last weekend, my dash lights suddenly went out meaning I had no speedometer or wait to tell how much gas I had and the ABS and stability control went out while going 65 miles an hour down a steep hill.luckily I was able to get home and don't ask me how I figured out to get the car to turn off. I called the one 800 Toyota number and it turns out there was a problem with something called the combo meter on these cars and it had an extended warranty for a total of nine years. My warranty expired they said April 2016. This seems like a serious safety issue that Toyota should cover if they are concerned about their customers safety.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 312016

Prius

Driving on a rainy day, ABS and vsc lights on dash came on. My car violently fishtailed almost 180 degrees, back and forth 6 times on a curve getting off a freeway (about 45 mph) nearly crashed. I proceeded very slowly to side street. Car shimmied to right making a left turn. Felt like I was driving on ice. Called a tow truck. Dealership found rodent damage to wires to wheel speed sensor. I discovered manufacturers using soy oil on wiring. $1300 repair.

- Everett, WA, USA

Oct 202016

Prius

Takata recall. My car won't shut off. They say the instrument panel cluster needs replaced. It has been on back order for 13 days so my car is useless. I can't drive it. I paid either 23,000 or 28,000 for it and have kept it maintained. The Toyota place says they have another lady that's been waiting 3 days less than mine. I called California Toyota. They can't tell me anything - but today told me it might be on back order. This is a safety issue. A car that won't shut off is a danger. It could kick into gear. It could damage the motor. A car that you can't tell how much gas is in it can be a problem as well. I can't drive it. The speedometer won't work. This is a problem with safety as if you can't tell what speed you are going you risk tickets. The Toyota place in birmingham has replaced 30 of these instrument clusters. If that is representative nationwide there is a big problem and these cars should be recalled. I only have 150,000 miles approx. On my car. The salesman told me it would last at least 300,000 miles. I had to replace the $4800 battery at 103000 miles. My other gripe is they didn't tell me until 13 days later it was "probably" on back order. I wouldn't have rented a car for 13 days had I known it was "probably" on back order.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Oct 232016

Prius

Steering wheel control on right side only works intermittently. Unable to control defroster or control air conditioner vent.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Oct 212016

Prius

The trunk opener switch on my 2007 Prius no longer works reliably because it is made of a defective rubber which has at this point melted into a goopy mess. This means that the opener switch can become stuck in the closed position, rendering it impossible to open the trunk until the release mechanism of the switch overcomes the tensile strength of the goop. As a cursory google search shows, this is a common problem which Toyota routinely refuses to repair. It is a potential safety issue because a pet or child could be difficult to retrieve from the trunk area if the trunk cannot be opened. An unexpected hazard such as a leaking propane tank or a battery fire in the trunk area could similarly be difficult to mitigate.

- Portland, OR, USA

Oct 032016

Prius 4-cyl

Combination meter failure while driving. Unable to view speedometer or dash lights. Car sometimes locks up, unable to view ABS signal because dashlights become inoperable. Unable to turn car off during dashboard/combination meter failure.

- Dalton, GA, USA

Sep 252016

Prius

The electronic dash (heads up instrument display) on our 2007 Prius has intermittently failed to light over the last year. Yesterday, it failed and also wouldn't turn off. We always use the remote (keyless) ignition system. But, after the failures yesterday I put the electronic key fob into the hole in the dash thinking that might help. Instead, I couldn't remove it. I tried every combination of pressing buttons (the park and power buttons) and other controls, brakes pedal, shifter and it still wouldn't shut off or light up the display. After holding the power button in for an extended amount of time, it turned off and ejected the key fob. But then the car wouldn't light up the instrument display or start. This morning, again, it would not start. I was told by an experienced Prius mechanic (also an owner) that these were classic symptoms of a failing power amplifier for the display and that it was a "secret warranty, " a voluntary repair to avoid a government recall, but that Toyota would only do it for 10 years. The dealer refused to do it under warranty even though the symptoms began before the car was 10 years old. They told me the recall was only good for nine years. They want $765 for the repair. It strikes me that this is a safety failure and should be covered, period. With no indication of speed or other functions (ABS function, traction control, etc.), or to turn the vehicle off, it is unsafe to operate the vehicle. The various failures, including loss of cruise control while in motion, took place when the car was cold and when it was warmed up. At rest and in motion.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Aug 202016

Prius

Bought 2007 Prius used and everything worked. Now the driver side headlight wont work after several new lightbulbs and a ballast have been changed. It has never been in an accident to my knowledge, I would like to know if Toyota will fix their problematic vehicle.

- Clovis, CA, USA

Feb 012016

Prius

The headlights turn off during driving, so I exit the freeway and turn them on and off and they start again and so on, I already changed the bulb did not help, I took it two times to the longo Toyota in el monte California and they refused to repair it stating that they could not duplicate it, I I complained about the noise of the ABS system and they refused to repair it there is recall on both

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Jun 012014

Prius

Trunk opening switch has worked intermittently due to deterioration of rubber covering. Problem leaves gooey residue on hands and clothes. Unable to access safety items in trunk when lock fails to work

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Apr 052016

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. Without warning, the instrument panel cluster failed and the gauges failed to properly function. The vehicle was taken to a dealer to be diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and indicated that the time frame had expired for the contact to receive the warranty extension campaign and provided no remedy solution. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Feb 242016

Prius

The headlights on my Prius randomly go dark. Sometimes 1 headlight and other times both. Turning off the light switch and then back on is a temporary fix. The problem comes back minutes later. This is very unsafe for myself and other drivers on the road. This happened while I was on the interstate going 70 mph last night!

- Pace, FL, USA

Dec 152015

Prius

Hid headlight leveling sensor failed due to corrosion, sensor is exposed under the car and apparently leaks road salt solution.. headlights pointing down, inadequate visibility driving at night. Exorbitant cost to replace, ~$400

- Asheville, NC, USA

Dec 222015

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, all warning lights began to illuminate on the instrument panel. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the failure was not able to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. In addition, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V449000 (hybrid propulsion system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 148,000.

- Jamaica, NY, USA

Mar 032015

Prius

My wifes 2007 Prius headlights continue to flicker while driving at night. Then one side or the other will go out. The headlights have been inspected by 2 certified mechanics neither can find any faults in the headlights or bulbs even applying contact grease to assure electrical continuity. Attention NHTSA administrators ( this certainly could become a deadly problem.) we have had both lights go out simultaneously. The driver must immediately turn the light switch off then on to restore lighting. I hope they never fail to re-light!! of all the problems- attention surely must be given to these lights. Almost a thousand complaints here..how many people keep taking this problem to the dealers, only to have it repeat itself? immediate action is required by the NHTSA.

- Chillicothe, OH, USA

Jul 152015

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the instrument panel lights failed to remain illuminated. The contact stated that the failure recurred several times. The contact also stated that when the failure occurred it was impossible to shut the vehicle off without removing the negative battery terminal. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Dec 012015

Prius

One hid headlamp will occasionally turn itself off. Turning headlamp switch off for 3-5 minutes and then back on will correct the issue. As one could imagine, very problematic when driving on the freeway at night. Multiple bulb replacements (over $150 each) have had no effect. Dealer recommended full headlamp replacement is over $1000. Research found that many others have had a similar issue, and eventually trace the problem back to the ballast of the hid lamp, which is easily damaged by water from poor design (the ballast is weather-sealed against the engine compartment, but not against the headlamp itself; any water that makes its way into the lamp will run down and pool on the ballast electronics).

- Lansing, MI, USA

Nov 292015

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While driving 70 mph, the brake pedal depressed on its own and the vehicle failed to accelerate. The brake hazard warning indicator illuminated several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 52,800.

- Navarre, FL, USA