1.3

2007 Toyota Prius engine problems

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 212012

Prius 4-cyl

The following described incidents have taken place at least three times with no warning. Upon starting the vehicle there is no instrument panel display which is digital. The vehicle could still be driven. The vehicle's engine would not turn off without making numerous attempts.this has sometimes taken up to 10 min.. then for whatever reasons after several hours the mentioned malfunctions stop and everything works correctly.I am very concerned the dash display showing speed and other necessary information will malfunction while the vehicle is being driven.especially at night.being able to turn the vehicle off immediately is also important.this vehicle is regularly serviced by Toyota who have been unable to locate or correct the problem. I have researched this issue online and have found that there is a large number of Toyota Prius owners having the same type of safety issues with their vehicles. I have read but not confirmed that Toyota is aware of the mentioned problems with the Prius. There are some serious safety issues with this make and model of vehicle that need to be addressed as soon as possible. I hope NHTSA will be able to assist in this matter. Thank you.

- Montague, CA, USA

Apr 012012

Prius 4-cyl

The 2007 Prius engine and safety warning lights came on while driving and the car stalled on the highway. This has occurred 4 to 5 times in the last 4 months. We have taken it to the Toyota dealership, where they have driven it, kept it overnight, and could not determine the problem. The third time, the dealer said it was the 12 volt battery, which we replaced for $348.85. The car stalled again - same safety concerns - stalled while driving on the highway. Luckily the car behind me did not hit me and I was able to coast to a side street. There was not any power. The windows and air conditioning were not working as well. I sat in the Arizona heat for several minutes and than got it to start by putting the car in park over and over. All safety warning lights were on, as I drove it to the dealership. I was shaking and in tears, fearful for my life and the life of others as I drove it to the dealership less than two months since the 12 volt battery had been replaced. I have gotten the car serviced at the dealership as stated in the manual - everytime. The stalling of the engine while driving and the lack of the dealer to fix the problem is of grave concern. I am very lucky that I have not been rear-ended or killed when the car has stalled. This is a huge safety concern and it appears that this has happened in many Prius vehicles. The dealership keeps saying that they do not know what is the problem. Something needs to happen to protect americans that drive these cars for environmental reasons.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA