2007 Toyota Prius engine problems

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Jun 282013

Prius 4-cyl

While traveling on the highway at 55 mph, the power was lost and the accelerator did not respond to being depressed. The car was steered from the middle lane on a three lane highway to gradually coast into the safety lane off the highway where the brake was used to stop the vehicle. The power button was then depressed and the engine restarted and we reentered the highway. This was the only such incident in seven years of ownership of this vehicle. This incident has not recurred.

- Old Westbury, NY, USA

May 172013

Prius 4-cyl

At approximately 11:20 am, I was waiting to have my car washed at a drive through car wash. A Chevrolet pickup truck had completed being washed and was stopped at the exit. The green light came on at the start of the car wash for me to proceed. I moved forward when suddenly the car lurched forward at what seemed to be top speed. I jammed my foot of the brake pedal and held it down but the car continued speeding. I eased the car into the left side wall of the car wash to slow down the momentum, but to no avail. I crashed into the back of the truck. The hood of the Prius went under the truck rear bumper. The air bags did not deploy. The Prius has been declared at total loss. The consumer stated neither the letter from Toyota nor the Bosch report indicated an examination of an electronic acceleration system. Updated 04/28/14

- Clarksville, MD, USA

Apr 292013

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving 7 mph and pulling into a parking space, he attempted to engage the brakes and it failed to stop the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the vehicle kept moving forward, went over a divider, and crashed into two vehicles. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicles front bumper was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 112,000. Updated 06/25/13

- Monsey, NY, USA

Mar 012011

I use my cruise control as often as possible, so I believe that if the lever is flexed even a little bit 20-30 times a day the stress will eventually break it. Mine didn't just snap, it refused to function for a day or two when the amount of flex in the nearly broken lever didn't make the cancel switch engage. It broke completely while engaging it. I found out that others are having the same issue by doing a simple search on the web.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Feb 012007

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 to 15 mph she applied the brakes and the vehicle continued to surge forward causing her to crash into a gate. The contact was not injured. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who advised her that they could not diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle continued to have the same failures for two years on an intermittent basis. Each time the vehicle was taken to the dealer they constantly informed her that they could not diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was contacted by mail and replied by saying they have inspected the vehicle and found no known failures. The failure mileage was approximately 9,000. Updated 3/11/11 updated 1/3/11

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Oct 272010

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While parking, the vehicle suddenly accelerated over a concrete curb and onto the sidewalk. There were no injuries. There was no police report filed. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer who could find nothing wrong. The contact called the manufacturer who offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 41,100.

- Visalia, CA, USA

Nov 142010

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving 2 mph, the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The contact was unable to stop the unintended acceleration as the vehicle proceeded over a slab of concrete barriers and crashed into the brick wall of a building. The air bags did not deploy and the contact sustained moderate injuries. A police report was available. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 09V388000 (vehicle speed control: Accelerator pedal) prior to the crash. The contact called the manufacturer and was awaiting a response. The current and failure mileage was approximately 17,000.

- Asheville, NC, USA

Sep 212010

Pulling into parking lot stopped had brakes on (witness to brakes on). Removed seatbelt reached to turn car off. The car accelerated on its own could not stop by applying brakes. Hit two parked pickups which stopped my car.

- Philipsburg, PA, USA

Aug 282010

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While driving approximately 65 mph she took her foot off of the accelerator and the vehicle continued to accelerate. She engaged the brakes and then tapped them slowly in order to slow the vehicle down. She was forced to shift into neutral gear to stop the vehicle. The contact stated that she experienced the acceleration failure three times in one weekend and during the last two failures the vehicle did correct itself. The floor mats were not near the accelerator pedal during the failures. She called the dealer and was advised that her vehicle was no longer under warranty and she would have to pay for the vehicle to be repaired. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The approximate failure mileage was 41,000 and the current mileage was 42,502.

- Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA

Aug 082010

Toyota Prius 2007 -- while stuck in heavy traffic, my car lurched forward and struck the car in front of it, which in turn hit the car in front. My foot was on the brake since traffic was at a standstill. Applying the brake harder did not stop the car in time to prevent the accident. There were no injuries. This never occurred before. The car has 19,000 miles. Spoke with Toyota dealership (smithtown Toyota). They denied that there is a problem and said we had a simple accident. Toyota said that this problem does not and has never existed.

- Smithtown , NY, USA

Jul 272010

2007 Toyota Prius accelerated to 93mph when trying to engage cruise control.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jun 142008

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact attempted to park the vehicle into the residence garage, driving at approximately 2 mph. Suddenly, there was an unintended acceleration. The brakes were engaged and the vehicle continued to accelerate causing the vehicle to crash into a closet in the garage. The contact suffered injury to the neck area. The vehicle front bumper sustained damages. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The identical failures occurred on two separate occasions with no injuries. In addition, the contact experienced malfunctions with the automatic ignition switch, windshield wipers, and the front driver and passenger side automatic window mechanism. The failures occurred sporadically. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The failure mileage was approximately 18,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- San Pedro, CA, USA

Jul 122010

2007 Toyota Prius. Consumer states accelerator and brake problems the consumer stated while driving the vehicle, at times it would feel like either the brakes momentarily disengaged and/or the vehicle would suddenly surged slightly for a second.

- Golden Valley, MN, USA

May 262010

Yesterday I was driving back from dropping off my son at school, getting on the freeway, my gas pedal was about 1/2 way depressed, the next thing I know the gas pedal is leaving my foot as if in cruise control and flooring itself, the car engine is racing full speed, fortunately I had run this through my head before, and I was competent enough to apply the brakes as hard as I could, put the car in neutral and safely pull off the freeway and turn off the car. So I was towed into Toyota, given a loaner car and told that someone from the factory would come out to run some tests. First let me state, that after this was over I did look down to see if my floor mat was a factor in this, but also knowing that the pedal had left my foot and headed for the floor, the floor mat was a good 2 inches from the pedal. So this morning Toyota calls me to say that they have determined that it indeed was my floor mat, no doubts in their minds about that, so they have given me a new floor mat and told me my car is fine. There is no doubt in my mind that this is an electrical problem, not a floor mat issue.

- Novato, CA, USA

May 102010

Summary: My car began accelerating while I was in park. I own a 2007 Toyota Prius. Two days ago, I drove to my destination, pulled into a parking spot, and turned off the car. I was early, so I turned the car back on (so I could listen to the radio while I waited). The car was in park and I did not have my feet on any pedals. The car was on for less than a minute when it began to drive forward. I both heard the sound of the motor engaging and visually processed that the car was moving. I immediately stepped on the brake hard and the car immediately came to a stop. My 4-year-old was distressed because the rolling and hard stop made a big jolt. The car was still in park. I released the brake pedal and the car stayed still. I do not know if this is related, but my car headlights randomly turn off while I am driving. If I toggle the switch off and back on, they always come back on. I took it to the local dealer, where the repair guy told me they frequently see this problem, and all they do is replace the headlights (which made no sense to me, because the bulbs aren't burned out). I would say this problem happens about once a week.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Apr 132010

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While driving at speeds of 30 mph, the vehicle exhibited abnormal surging and the headlights became inoperable. The vehicle had not been received any repairs to correct the failure. The failure mileage was 18,195 and the current mileage was 18,200.

- Wilmette, IL, USA

Apr 082010

1. my partner left work at @ 4 pm and started to drive home. It was a clear day with no precipitation. He was about a mile away from work proceeding West on NJ state route 561 when he came to a stop 1-2 feet behind a truck at a stoplight. He had his foot on the brake. 2. he was caught off guard as the car accelerated forward into the truck ahead of him without his doing anything to the accelerator. Damage was caused to the trucks bumper and to the Prius' bumper and hood. We had never had this occur in the car and had no other problems prior to this incident. 3. in the split-second he had to react, he jammed his foot on the brake and tried to deploy the P button on the dash, but the P button did not engage nor light up as green. A police report was made and the car was driven home. The local Toyota dealer, where the car was purchased and serviced, was contacted and they asked us to contact Toyota "experience, " and we gave a full report and received a case #: 1004081978. We then brought the car to the dealer's body shop the next day and awaited our insurance claims adjuster and the "experience" team to come and get the data off the computer to see what might have caused the accident. We will have the physical damage to the car repaired (damage to bumper and hood) as soon as the "experience" team is able to get the data.

- Plainsboro, NJ, USA

Apr 072010

I have experienced two episodes where my 2007 Prius accelerated uncontrollably. One was while backing out of a driveway by my classroom onto the street. I put my foot on the accelerator and the car literally took off backwards like a rocket. I removed my right foot from the gas pedal and applied the brakes--nothing happened!! I ended up with both feet on the brake across the street in parking spaces by the library. This happened Dec. 22 at 2:15, we were dismissed early for christmas break, if it had been any other day this street is used by teachers to transfer elementary students to the library for the after school program. My husband called the Toyota dealership and reported this, he was told our car was not on the recall list. The latest incident was last week, April 7 at 7:35 in the morning. I pull into the school parking lot driving very slowly to my parking space, I start to turn into the space, I removed my right foot from the gas, and for the second time it takes off like a rocket and does not react to brake application. In front of my parking space is a drop off and then a concrete block wall, I turned the wheel sharply to the right to avoid these, did a partial donut turn, ended up once again with both feet pressing the brake as far as possible. After I had caught my breath, I looked around, no one was coming into the parking lot so I slowly released the brake, carefully put my foot on the gas, the car responded normally, and I pulled into the parking space. The Prius is now at the dealership where they say the car isn't displaying any problems--of course it isn't, not until next time. We stated that we would not pick up the Prius until it was fixed, so now we are waiting for Toyota's new smart team to come. Honestly, I know that if my foot isn't on the accelerator, the car should not take off like a rocket!! this is a danger not only to myself, but to anyone else on the road with me. I've been fortunate twice, but what about next time??

- Henryetta, OK, USA

Apr 022010

2007 Toyota Prius. Consumer states unintended acceleration. The consumer stated he was parking the vehicle and when he shifted the gear from drive to neutral, with his foot on the brake, the RPM accelerated to approximately 4000, so he pushed the power off button to turn the vehicle off.

- Fountain Valley, CA, USA

Mar 102010

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact was driving approximately 65 mph. When pressure was applied to the accelerator pedal the vehicle would not exceed over 45 mph. The gear was shifted from neutral into the park position. The contact was able to pull over to the side of the road and turned the engine off. The vehicle restarted after waiting for a minimum period of one minute. The vehicle resumed to normal. The contact was waiting on the second recall notification letter which provides the recall remedy. The failure mileage was unknown. The current mileage was 35,000.

- Norwalk, CA, USA