2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 12 of 46)

Jul 052012

Prius 4-cyl

Suffering from the commonly reported hid headlight intermittent outages. It is outrageous that the cost of replacing a single headlight is over $400 at the local Toyota dealer. The vehicle age does not exceed the normal mtbf for the bulb. I have already replaced the left headlight and now the right one has gone out. I replaced 1 headlight in 45 years of driving before I bought this Prius. Now 2 headights go out. This is a design defect. And can go out while driving. The failure mode is intermittent before total failure.

- Redwood City, CA, USA

Jun 172010

Prius 4-cyl

Lighting: 1) headlights: This is the date of the first time failure of my high-intensity headlights. Driving up a remote curvy mountain road one headlight, my drivers headlight, failed as I was negotiating a hairpin corner and I almost cra shed as I instinctively took my hand off the wheel to turn on and off my lights. The defective light turned back on using this method. Now, both headlights are failing, sometimes both at the same time. I use the same method to restart them, only now, they are nolonger functional so I cannot drive at night, or on roads during the day that require headlights on. Dealer would not warranty them at first failure because I was 300 miles over warranty period. 2) taillights: Have had to replace both as they burned out prior to 36,000 miles. 3) front running lights: Also from about 30,000 miles on, I have replaced them each, 5 times as they burned out. Now the fuse blows anytime I install a new front running light.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 172010

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 262012

Prius 4-cyl

Either one of the two headlights will randomly turn off while driving. They will sometimes come back on by themselves, or I can reset them by switching the headlights off and on again. The first time it happened was probably more than a year, ago, but it has been getting worse. I am no longer driving my car at night, for fear of getting into a wreck, until I can get it fixed.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 262012

- Austin, TX, USA

May 012011

Prius 4-cyl

Purchased the car used and immediately noticed that the passenger side headlight would go out intermittently with no warning or apparent reason. Turning the lights off and back on would bring both lights back on. Now - a year later - the same thing is happening with both headlights. Very scary. Have been advised by a Toyota dealer that the problem is bulb burnout. How can that be when they come on initially and work intermittently"?? the cost to replace both bulbs is $527! this is a serious safety concern. Can't afford a fix. What to do?"

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 012011

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 232012

Prius 4-cyl

The head lights just go off while you are driving and you must turn them off and back on again to get them to work.I already had this repaired and it is happening again and to my knowledge there has not been a recall and obviously its a safety hazard.

- Jasper, TX, USA

May 232012

- Jasper, TX, USA

May 052011

Prius 4-cyl

Headlamps turn off on their own intermittently. The left light will go off more than the right. I usually correct the situation by turning off the lights then back on. This problem has increased in frequency. I read in an online forum (priuschat) that this is a common problem.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jun 012011

Prius

Passenger headlamp went out after approximately 30,000 miles. Replaced it along with driver side bulb. Now both sides are out (low beams only) as well as passenger side taillight. All other lights are working fine. The fuses are intact. Turning off and on hasn't helped. Car still has just over 45,000 miles.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Mar 012012

Prius

Hid headlights failed, go on and off at random times. It started at 45,000 miles and the dealership replaced them at no cost to me and now the lights are failing again at 109,000. I was told not to turn them on during daylight to help them last longer. I use them during the day, depending on what road I am on for safety reasons. I don't believe that lights should fail so frequently.

- Tumwater, WA, USA

Feb 022012

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the driver was traveling 40 mph when the headlights failed to illuminate. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 68,000 and the current mileage was 68,500.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Jan 152012

Prius 4-cyl

1. the right-front headlight often goes out after the car has been driven for a while. (fortunately, both headlights don't haven't out yet!) this really should be considered a safety issue - why isn't there a recall? 2. the back-up camera often stops working for a few days at a time. This is a problem, given the very poor visibility the mirrors have behind this car.

- Kailua, HI, USA

Feb 012010

Prius 4-cyl

Headlight on driver side intermittently goes on and off (mostly stays off) and has been doing this for 60,000+ miles (I have 127,000 miles on it now). I got quoted a huge amount to replace the light - $100+ for the light and one hour of labor. Ridiculous! I see that many more have had this same problem and I just think Toyota should do something regarding this obvious defect. So, decided to do this official complaint. I should have done this a long time ago! it is very dangerous driving around with one headlight but who is to say the problem would fix itself even if I get the light replaced. Something is terribly wrong!

- Penn Valley, CA, USA

Aug 272010

Prius 4-cyl

The headlights keep going out. This happens at any speed and in any climate. Flickering them off and on alleviates the problem. Been happening for close to 2 years now.

- San Dimas, CA, USA

Mar 062012

Prius 4-cyl

Hid headlight random failure while driving Prius. Unreliable to drive vehicle during the night.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 012012

Prius 4-cyl

The headlights of my Prius are hid and at 60,000 the right light intermittently began turning off randomly and now both are doing it in the matter of a month. At times both headlights will be completely out and it requires you to turn the lights off and back on to get them to work. A definite safety hazard. Both lights are now turning off several times in a 30 minute period.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Feb 202012

Prius 4-cyl

Drivers side headlight fails intermittently. First failure was at 39K miles.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Sep 072010

Prius 4-cyl

Drivers side headlight fails intermittently.

- Mesa, AZ, USA