2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 12 of 46)

May 012011

Prius 4-cyl

Purchased the car used and immediately noticed that the passenger side headlight would go out intermittently with no warning or apparent reason. Turning the lights off and back on would bring both lights back on. Now - a year later - the same thing is happening with both headlights. Very scary. Have been advised by a Toyota dealer that the problem is bulb burnout. How can that be when they come on initially and work intermittently"?? the cost to replace both bulbs is $527! this is a serious safety concern. Can't afford a fix. What to do?"

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 232012

Prius 4-cyl

The head lights just go off while you are driving and you must turn them off and back on again to get them to work.I already had this repaired and it is happening again and to my knowledge there has not been a recall and obviously its a safety hazard.

- Jasper, TX, USA

May 232012

- Jasper, TX, USA

May 052011

Prius 4-cyl

Headlamps turn off on their own intermittently. The left light will go off more than the right. I usually correct the situation by turning off the lights then back on. This problem has increased in frequency. I read in an online forum (priuschat) that this is a common problem.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jun 012011

Prius

Passenger headlamp went out after approximately 30,000 miles. Replaced it along with driver side bulb. Now both sides are out (low beams only) as well as passenger side taillight. All other lights are working fine. The fuses are intact. Turning off and on hasn't helped. Car still has just over 45,000 miles.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Mar 012012

Prius

Hid headlights failed, go on and off at random times. It started at 45,000 miles and the dealership replaced them at no cost to me and now the lights are failing again at 109,000. I was told not to turn them on during daylight to help them last longer. I use them during the day, depending on what road I am on for safety reasons. I don't believe that lights should fail so frequently.

- Tumwater, WA, USA

Feb 022012

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the driver was traveling 40 mph when the headlights failed to illuminate. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 68,000 and the current mileage was 68,500.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Jan 152012

Prius 4-cyl

1. the right-front headlight often goes out after the car has been driven for a while. (fortunately, both headlights don't haven't out yet!) this really should be considered a safety issue - why isn't there a recall? 2. the back-up camera often stops working for a few days at a time. This is a problem, given the very poor visibility the mirrors have behind this car.

- Kailua, HI, USA

Feb 012010

Prius 4-cyl

Headlight on driver side intermittently goes on and off (mostly stays off) and has been doing this for 60,000+ miles (I have 127,000 miles on it now). I got quoted a huge amount to replace the light - $100+ for the light and one hour of labor. Ridiculous! I see that many more have had this same problem and I just think Toyota should do something regarding this obvious defect. So, decided to do this official complaint. I should have done this a long time ago! it is very dangerous driving around with one headlight but who is to say the problem would fix itself even if I get the light replaced. Something is terribly wrong!

- Penn Valley, CA, USA

Aug 272010

Prius 4-cyl

The headlights keep going out. This happens at any speed and in any climate. Flickering them off and on alleviates the problem. Been happening for close to 2 years now.

- San Dimas, CA, USA

Mar 062012

Prius 4-cyl

Hid headlight random failure while driving Prius. Unreliable to drive vehicle during the night.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 012012

Prius 4-cyl

The headlights of my Prius are hid and at 60,000 the right light intermittently began turning off randomly and now both are doing it in the matter of a month. At times both headlights will be completely out and it requires you to turn the lights off and back on to get them to work. A definite safety hazard. Both lights are now turning off several times in a 30 minute period.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Feb 202012

Prius 4-cyl

Drivers side headlight fails intermittently. First failure was at 39K miles.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Sep 072010

Prius 4-cyl

Drivers side headlight fails intermittently.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Feb 092012

Prius 4-cyl

Drivers side hid headlight in my 2007 Toyota Prius went out twice in 5 minutes while driving. I was able to resolve the issue both times by turning the lights completely off and back on. The first time the light went out, a driver next to me notified me as I was getting on the interstate. I pulled the car over on the interstate, turned the lights off and back on, which resolved the issue. The second time the drivers side light went out was when I was driving down the dark interstate at night at approx. 60 mph. This was within 5 minutes of the first incident.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

May 102010

Prius 4-cyl

Hid lights turn off anytime they want for no reason. Turn lights on and off turn back on possibly stay on for seconds or for awhile. This is complete crap and very frustrating. I see tons of complaints online and no fixes. If Toyota wants to fall to the wayside they should continue to make products like this.

- Black River Falls, WI, USA

Dec 212011

Prius 4-cyl

My left headlight keeps going off and then back on. Sometimes hitting a bump on the road causes it to turn off/on. Other times I can manually turn the headlights off and it will come back on. Several times, we have tried to get it back on, and no positive results. This happens several times a day. Originally I thought it was a bulb but when I took it in, bulb was fine. Wires are not loose. I see numerous complaints about this and see that Toyota has not done a recall on this. I have young children and it makes me extremely nervous because I fear that this will happen to the other headlight at night.

- River Falls, WI, USA

Sep 132008

Prius 4-cyl

My headlights started failing at 30,214 miles and I took my car in for service, they replaced the right headlight. At 32,571 they replaced my left headlight. I now have the same problem with the left headlight which even after replacing the bulb, will not work. I have contacted Toyota and they want me to incur the expense of having it diagnosed at their dealership before they will even consider covering it even though there was a class action lawsuit of which I was never made aware. As agreement, Toyota agreed that they would extend the warranty on the bulbs and if you were outside the extended warranty, they would still fix the lights if you had documented problems prior to the warranty period expiring. I have the evidence yet they want me to incur an expense so they know what's wrong. I feel this is totally wrong.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Dec 292011

Prius 4-cyl

Head lights went out at night. Had them replaced at aaa repair shop in san jose, ca. Cost $300. Toyota wanted $600. Then they went out at night again on Dec 2010 replace again in susanville, ca. Cost$300. Then Toyota came out with recall notice with a written report to replace lights and power unit all at once. Then they just went out again Dec 2011. Do not know cost yet. No accidents from these outages but there could have been. They went out at night not at the same time but could have. This time only the driver side went out. It comes on then goes out then comes on again only for about 30 seconds. I think there is trouble with the power unit or bad design.

- Lake Almanor, CA, USA

Dec 012010

Prius

When driving the headlights of my 2007 Prius turn off. It began happening on the passenger side headlight very intermittently, in the past few months it began happening more and more often to the point now where my passenger side headlight turns off every time I drive at night. The headlight will turn back on after switching the on/off switch but after a few seconds turns off on its own again. It mainly happens with my passenger side light but at times both headlights turn off completely. This happens unexpectedly and causes a safety issue when driving on rural roads. I am very concerned with this and the fact that Toyota has done nothing to address the issue. I understand the class action lawsuit filed, I was not a part of that as I was unaware it was even occurring.

- Staten Island, NY, USA