2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 19 of 46)

Nov 022010

Prius

I have been reading excessive numbers of complaints on the web regarding issues with Toyota Prius headlight issues. Some consumers have put out over a thousand dollars, others hundreds to get issues resolved and in some cases appear to be unresolved. I inquired at Toyota regarding the issue and I was told there is no current recall but in the event one is ordered, those that have put out hundreds and a thousand plus would probably be reimbursed. Has any investigation been conducted regarding this matter? in my opinion, this is a transportation safety issue with people driving down the road not knowing when or if their headlights are going to fail.

- Salda, CA, USA

Prius

Driver side headlight goes off right after you turn lights on, can hardly drive at night, costs $400 to fix one headlight at dealership $250 for labor and $150 for light itself.

- Gainesville, VA, USA

Prius

Notice hid headline on my 2007 Toyota Prius started to turnoff automatically. Lights do not stay on at all. They turn off after a minute or so. I had to order new headlight. Not sure if problem will continue. I'm not able to drive my car at night due to this problem. Estimated cost to repair is $500!

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Prius

Toyota Prius headlight system failure. Lights flicker on / off. No apparent cause. Very dangerous. Frequency is daily and multiple times per day. Many other owners report that replacing the hid bulb at $500 - $1,000 is not the solution. Problem returns. Appears problem is in ballast or computer. Dealers will not replace ballast until they have already collected $500 for bulb replacement. Then want another $500 for balast replacement. True system cause hs not been confirmed.

- Amherst, NH, USA

Oct 252010

Prius

Premature and simultaneous failure of 2007 Toyota Prius headlights. First experienced in fall of 2009 (low mileage), but now dangerously frequent. Toyota claims this is not a defect, but has no explanation for the simultaneity of failure and is only replacing the bulbs without sharing any costs. Temporary remedy is to switch the lights off and back on again.

- Montgomery, MA, USA

Oct 252010

Prius

For some time I have been telling the dealer that I have been informed that one of my headlights is out but when they look at it at a later time they are working. I suspect that they have been doing this for a long time. Now it appears that there is a progression. Both headlights unexpectedly turned off plunging me into total darkness while driving at 70 miles per hour on an interstate highway at 5:00 in the morning. I found myself hurtling along in total darkness. I turned the light switch to the off position and turned it back on and the lights came on again but they went off again a few miles later and I went through the same process to get them to come on. The situation happened at least 5-6 more times before I reached my destination.

- Troy, VA, USA

Feb 112009

Prius

The hid headlights on the 2007 Prius began to fail just after 36K miles on the car. The driver side light turned off, but cam back once the lights were turned off briefly. The light would also flicker on a regular basis. Now at 50K miles, the passenger side light does the same behavior. What makes this a hazard is the replacement cost of the bulbs. I was quoted $400 for a single bulb replacement. Clearly unreasonable, but then doing some research on the web indicates my deal was offering me a good deal. Thus far I have not replaced the bulbs, but will have to do so soon. In my mind Toyota has a significant design flaw in their hid headlights in the Prius, as these lamps should outlast the car... consumers everywhere report otherwise.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Oct 212010

Prius

The passenger side hid headlight on our 2007 Toyota Prius goes on and off while driving. Toyota has sent us a letter advising us that they are aware of the problem and are willing to repair the problem by offering us the bulb at half price, approximately $150. However, after doing some research I have read that the bulb may not be the problem and repairs could total $2000. Since the problem occurs without warning I am concerned that at some point the other headlight could fail and cause total loss of vision at night resulting in an accident.

- Budd Lake, NJ, USA

Sep 152010

Prius 4-cyl

Hid head lamps go out at random times on my 2007 Toyota Prius. Car has 67000 miles on it. Dealer says bulbs are about to fail and need replaced. Cost is over $500. The lights will work fine for several days or weeks then will just stop working. I have been on a dark road and both lights went out. You have to turn the lights on and off to get them to work again. This seems odd that the bulbs will work for a period of time then stop working. One or both will stop working - no consistency.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Prius

Right passenger headlight fails to come on consistently. It starts and stops. Sometimes it comes on, and then without warning, it will flicker off. Turning the lights on and off will occasionally remedy the situation, but only temporarily. Have done research and this seems to be a very big problem with Toyota Prius models around year 2007.

- Mason, OH, USA

May 152008

Prius

Passenger headlamp, turns off and have to turn lights off and on to get it to come back on. This happens constantly. The driver one did the same thing was replaced because of warranty but now my warranty has expired. Obviously this is a defect but they want $300. To replace bulb. Ridiculous price sound be covered because they said first one was a faulty bulb and now the same problem with the other one. I have vehicles 10 yrs old and not changed any of the headlamps. Clearly this is not normal.

- Ossian, IN, USA

Oct 102010

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius and have recently experienced the headlights flickering and than going completely off if you turn the switch off and than back on they work again. It first started with the passenger side and than went to the driver side and than both lights went out together. This is a safety hazard to say the least and Toyota needs to at best notify their consumers of this problem and at least assist with the cost to repair it.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Oct 132010

Prius 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius with 98,000 miles and the right hid headlight goes out intermittently. If you turn them off and back on they work again. It is obvious that the bulb is not burnt. It appears to be some type of electrical problem with Toyota.

- Harrisville, RI, USA

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius. About seven months ago the headlight on the passenger side of the car started going on and off. At my last 5,000 check up, I was told the light would eventually go out completely, and that Toyota knew there was a defect and they would reimburse the $350+ that it would cost to replace it. But at that time I couldn't afford to replace it and it would have taken several months to get reimbursed. I took my car in last week, the light now is out more than it's on and I was told Toyota no longer reimbursed for replacing the defective headlight. I feel this is a great safety hazard, it's definitely defective and very expensive to fix. Toyota isn't doing anything to fix the problem, but expect the customer to pay for there defective product.

- Port Hueneme, CA, USA

Jan 012008

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. Since January of 2008 the right headlight failed intermittently when the headlight switch was turned off for a few seconds it operated normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the light bulb assembly needed to be replaced. The contact was concerned that the light bulb failure was a manufacturers defect; therefore, he should not pay for the repair. The manufacturer will be contacted. The headlight wasn't repaired. The failure mileage was 20,000. The current mileage was 95,000.

- Placerville , CA, USA

Oct 132010

Prius

Driver side headlight intermittent. Headlight flickers and goes out. Turn headlights off and back on and it comes back on and works fine for a few days. Then it starts all over again, goes out and I have to cycle on and of the headlights to get it to work again. No in dealer and they claim I need a new hid lamp at $280 for replacement!

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 152010

Prius

Headlights turn on and off intermittently - 2007 pruis. For evening hours driving, at the start of the trip the headlights are turned on and there were times that they remain on for the entire trip. Other times, the lights will be on at the start of the trip and then they just turn off and do not come back on. You can manually turn the lights off and on and they will come back on. Both headlights turn off together. I just noticed the occurrence at the end of the month of August 2010. I had to stop driving the car in the evening hours. The car has 32,000 miles, I called Toyota and established a case number. I took it to my dealer. They said that they had seen this problem. They stated that the headlights needed to be replaced. After a discussion, they went ahead and replaced both headlights at their expense. The headlights appear to be working fine since the headlight bulbs were replaced and if they did any other work related to the problem it did not appear on the documentation that I received. Since the lights turning on and off were intermittent and both lights went off rather than just one due the bulb burning out, I believe that their is a strong possibility that this problem with the lights will re-occur.

- Del Mar , CA, USA

May 152008

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While driving 30 mph, another driver advised himt hat the rear lights were not functioning. When he inspected, he also noticed that the left front headlight was not working along with the rear lights. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer four times but the dealer could not find the cause of the failure. The dealer suggested that the left front headlight bulb be replaced. The failure mileage was approximately 18,000 and the current mileage was approximately 30,000.

- Centinnial, CO, USA

Jun 012010

Prius

1. only noticeable during nighttime driving. 2. the passenger side hid headlamp shuts off while driving. Loss of lighting for pedestrians and road signs on right side of road and headlamp out while driving is illegal. 3. replaced headlamp but problem is still there. Swapped bulbs with the driver's side problem remained on passenger side. Turning the lights off and back on temporally fixes the problem but is very unsafe at night.

- Oak Harbor, WA, USA

Sep 072010

Prius

Headlights keep going off independent of each other and I have to turn off lights to get it to turn on.

- Whitestone, NY, USA