2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 20 of 46)

Sep 152010

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius. The hid headlight problem started with one headlight turning off and on unexpectedly. Then, while my wife was driving at night, both headlights went out! driving at night without headlights is incredibly unsafe and scary. This is clearly a safety defect in the hid lighting system. Toyota has refused to cover any repair costs.

- Denver, CO, USA

Sep 252010

Prius

One headlight on 2007 Toyota Prius goes out without warning. Turn lights off then on again and comes back on. I have been stopped by the police twice for this problem.

- Aptos, CA, USA

Sep 272010

Prius

Over the last approximately 6 months, the high-intensity headlights on my 2007 Toyota Prius with less than 45,000 miles on it (bought new, all scheduled maintenance done) began randomly going out. Sometimes just one, sometimes the other, sometimes both at once. Turning them off and back on makes them work, sometimes for a long time, sometimes only for a few minutes. It is very frightening and dangerous to be going down a dark road and have your headlights go out! most recently this happened tonight on I-215 South in riverside county, California.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 202010

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius passenger headlight goes out intermittently. Will go back on if lights are switched off and on again. Received traffic citation for non-working headlight. Known issue with Toyota.

- Arlington, VT, USA

Apr 152009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius hid headlight problem. At approximately 37000 miles my passenger side headlight would suddenly go out. I could turn the lights off, then back on immediately and the light would work sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for the duration of my drive. I checked with my dealer and he said it was the light bulb and not covered under warranty and over $300 plus labor. I then began having the same problem with the drivers side light, sometimes the left, sometimes the right, sometimes both lights at the same time. Not able to afford Toyota price, or labor costs I then ordered oem replacement bulbs myself and installed them thinking it would fix the problem. In less than one week I was experiencing the same problems. I asked my dealer about it and the fact that I purchased the extended warranty and was told that I would still have to pay any charges and then turn it into the warranty company to see if they would pay for the repair after the fact. I was told the cost could be as much as $1800 dollars. I have replaced both bulbs twice now, but this has not corrected the problem. Not being able to afford the cost for the dealer I have had to just continue to drove the vehicle and manually turn the lights off and on to get them going when they go out. This sounds to me like a design flaw, or quantity issue concerning a very important safety feature of my vehicle that my 16 year old daughter is supposed to be driving, but I am to afraid for her safety to let her drive it after dark. If the problem is as simple as a light bulb, why did my replacing them not solve the problem.

- Piney Flats, TN, USA

Sep 152010

Prius

I have a 2007 Prius and the left light keep going out. It will start flickering and get dim..... then go out. When you turn it off and back on it will be fine again. 15-20 min later same thing will happen, flicker then dim and off. Its a real safety issue, imagine you drive a long trip at night and you have to keep doing this process?? I am not the only that has the same problem, thousands of owner online has the same problem. Please spend some time and investigate. Toyota says they are old bulbs but definitely not.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Oct 202008

Prius

I purchased a 2007 Toyota Prius and noticed my headlights were intermittently going out around 40,000 miles.both the right and left light would go out individually and there was no pattern to either. There were times in which both headlights would go out at the same time. In order to get my headlights back on, I would have to turn my light switch off and then turn it back on again. The lights would turn off numerous times and I would have to repeat the process over and over. This was very scary because I would not be able to see while I was driving. My speed would reach up to 70 mph depending on the type of road I was driving on. I took my Prius to the local Toyota dealership to have them inspect the vehicle and I was told by the service manager that it would cost $500 for two bulbs and labor. This was a very expensive fix for the problem. The expense was so great that we had to save money for a long while to afford it. I believe this issue should be classified in a recall category. This is an extremely dangerous issue and your prompt response would be greatly appreciated.

- Concord, NC, USA

Sep 212010

Prius

Both headlights temporarily failed on my 2007 Toyota Prius. I have just read your incident report PE09019, and I can verify that both headlight did fail simultaneously. Both returned after toggling the lights. However, I have since observed individual failures on each light over the course of a few hours. I'll be having the lights replaced, but I do believe this is a bigger problem that your previous research implies.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Sep 202010

Prius

Headlight goes out intermittently and only comes back on after turning headlights off and back on again. Dealer told me it was "known issue with Prius vehicle".

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Oct 012009

Prius

I currently own a 2007 Prius. The passenger side headlight shuts off intermittently when in use. I have also experienced the problem with my driver's side, but not as frequently. I have already replace the light bulb and this has not fixed the problem. I am able to quickly turn my lights on and off to turn them reactivate the light bulb. I noticed this problem around 50,000 miles.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Jul 012010

Prius

Passenger headlamp for my 2007 Toyota Prius goes out intermittently. If I turn the lights off and then on again it will re-light but only for a short period. I have taken it to the dealer who said they will have to replace the headlight and the computer and each costs over $250.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Jun 142010

Prius

After about five minutes, (varies greatly), one headlight will often go out. Usually it is the left, but not always. Sometimes it is the right. The car has hid headlights, and I usually run them at all times for safety. The headlights will flicker subtly back and forth between the two until one goes out. Going back and forth between high and low beams changes nothing, but quickly turning them off and then back on will re-set the condition, that is, the headlights both come on. Tapping on all known connections has no effect, and either driving or trying to duplicate the condition parked seems to give the same results, that is, the condition is easily duplicated while parked.

- Trona, CA, USA

Sep 162010

Prius

Passenger side headlight continues to fail after replacing bulbs numerous times. Passenger headlight works 20% of the time and fails 80%. can occasionally get the light to work again by turning off the lights and turning them back on again. Toyota suggested repair is $1,000+ and no longer covered by warranty.

- Dewitt, MI, USA

Sep 132010

Prius

My 2007 Prius front hid headlamps shut off while I was driving down the ca 14 freeway! I turned the headlight switch off and then on to get it back working again and barely avoided an accident. Driving at 70mph and have the road go completely dark is dangerous for anyone!!!

- Rosamond, CA, USA

Sep 112010

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius...passenger side headlight had been flickering and turning itself off for past month..when light switch is turned off then on, the light continues to work normally. While driving last night, both headlights shut off. I turned the light switch off then back on...both lights came back on. I will be taking to dealer in the near future.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Sep 112010

Prius

2007 Prius w 95,000 miles. Left hid headlight goes out after being turned on for a few minutes. Cycling the switch to off and back on returns light function, only to have it fail again a few minutes later. Replacement of hid bulbs has not resolved the problem, so this is not normal wear, but an electrical design issue with the vehicle.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Jan 012009

Prius

Faulty head lights on the Toyota pruis 2007. Head lights goes on and off... mostly off on one side.

- Maynard, MA, USA

Mar 172009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius with hid headlights started to go out without warning. Both headlights have had this occur, sometimes the bulb will come back on while driving or it may be on the next time the lights are turned on. I have not had both bulbs go out at the same time but am worried that this will occur at some point. I have received a letter from Toyota that indicates that this condition is normal for hid headlight bulbs but does not advise when the bulbs should be replaced. My Toyota dealer advised not to worry about the condition until the bulb stops working altogether? the replacement of these bulbs is very expensive ($250 per bulb). I believe this is a safety issue and needs to be addressed. I will have to have the bulbs replaced before winter when more night driving is needed. I believe this is a design issue as well as a safety issue.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Jan 012008

Prius

Intermittent and unexpected failure of both headlight bulbs (independent of each other, and not usually at same time). Turning headlights off then on will usually remedy the situation temporarily. Has been happening for about 18 months, possibly more. Started when vehicle only had about 35,000 miles. One time almost had an accident driving at night, other driver said that she did not see me approaching due to headlight failure. Has not been corrected.

- Bloomfield, NJ, USA

Sep 042010

Prius

While driving at night both headlights went out. Dealer hasn't been contacted yet since it's a weekend.

- State College, PA, USA