2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 23 of 45)

Mar 302010

Almost immediately after the purchase of our new Prius, I noticed flickering of the hid headlights. I thought it odd but had never used hid headlamps before. This past winter I noticed the left headlight would stop illuminating altogether. I figured I would have to replace the bulb but then found that if I turned the headlight switch to the off position and then back to the on position the headlight would come back on. Since the cost to replace the headlamp is rather expensive and there is no guarantee the replacement would solve the problem, I continue to drive the vehicle at night watching for when the headlight goes out. I keep my fog lamps on all the time so I have forward illumination in case both headlights go out. Once I see the light has gone out, I wait until I stop at a traffic control device or there is no oncoming traffic to quickly turn the headlight switch off and on again to illuminate the headlight. I had one experience recently where the left headlight had gone out and before I had opportunity to turn the headlight switch off and on again, the right headlight also went out. Fortunately I had the fog lamps on as I had my wife and 7 month old granddaughter in the vehicle with me. But as before, once I turned the headlight switch off and then on again, both headlights came back on.

- Dekalb, IL, USA

Apr 082010

Intermittent headlight operation on hid headlights 2007 Toyota Prius. Both headlights went out at the same time while traveling on I75 last night. After almost wrecking, we pulled to the side of the road. After turning lights off for a while they came back on and started working again. This seems to be a frequent occurrence according to blogs on the internet. I contacted the dealer and they said if they had to replace the unit it would be in the thousands of dollars!!!!! ($1100 for headlight computer, $500- $600+ for headlight bulbs and another $1100 for light kits) I think that is completely ridiculous to expect someone to pay that much just to be able to drive there car safely! none of this was revealed when the car was purchased! how could anyone expect to pay that kind of money to keep there headlights working? please help, we cannot afford to drive safely now!

- North Port, FL, USA

Jul 022009

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius. In July 2009 one hid headlight began flickering. The dealer told me he would have to remove the bumper to replace the headlight and recommended I replace both headlights at the same time. I did and the total cost $545. The vehicle had 44,000 miles at the time and only 2 years old. I wrote a letter to Toyota complaining about the failure of the bulb so soon, the poor design that required the bumper to be removed, and the total cost...I never received a response. This year I was the recipient of the "2006-2009 model year Prius hid headlight customer support program". I sent in all of the required information and was recently told I would receive $51 from the program. That is a far cry from the $545 I spent.

- Derwood, MD, USA

Nov 012009

Headlights to Toyota Prius flicker and turn off while driving once I turn the headlight switch, off then on again, lights come back on. This only occurs with one headlight at a time

- Mckinleyville, CA, USA

Mar 302010

Passenger-side front headlight works intermittently. Turns on okay, then dims and eventually goes out.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Mar 282010

My 2007 Prius head lights turn off while driving. In most cases only one light will go out at a time. But there has been at least 3 instances in the last week where both lights have turned off while driving. I turn the light knob off and on when I notice the outage.

- Paramus, NJ, USA

Mar 292010

One or both headlights go off while driving. Problem first occurred on March 12th, 2010 and since then has increased in frequency occurring at intervals of typically less than 30 minutes driving. Sometimes the headlight(s) flicker briefly before going off; at other times there is no warning. Turning the light switch off and back on is effective in turning the headlights back on.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Mar 222010

2007 Toyota Prius headlights issue. As I am driving the lights will randomly turn off. I contacted the Toyota dealership and they said that you can replace the light bulb. This did not fix the situation. The lights still continue to randomly turn off.

- Theresa, NY, USA

Mar 012010

Intermittent failure of drivers side hid headlight. Turning the headlights off then back on typically restores normal operation for several days.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Mar 152010

I began a 70 mile trip on the interstate at dusk in my 2007 Prius with the headlights on, or so I thought. It seemed they were not illuminating the road as well as usual. I turned my brights on to better see the curve on an interchange and the lights went completely off. I turned the brights off and the lights came back on, but I had drifted near a concrete barrier. I averted a crash, but was close enough to the barrier to see that I had foglamps on, but no headlights. Normally this arrangement is not possible. You can have headlights on without foglamps, but not foglamps without headlights. Turning the headlight switch off, then on did not help. When I stopped, leaving the car turned on. I was able to reproduce the bright switch turning off all the lights. The headlights would not turn on. I turned off the car, when I turned it back on, the headlights worked normally. In July, 2009, my daughter was driving this Prius and was stopped for having one headlight out. It worked when I took it to the Toyota dealer the next day. Then for several days, one headlight or the other was out intermittently but not reproduce-ably. Then the problem cleared up until this incident in March, 2010.

- Madison, WI, USA

Jan 272007

My 2007 Toyota Prius with hid headlights has had intermittent headlight failure 7 times since the first occurrence in January 2007. I took my car to the service department of dealer from whom I bought the car new. The service writer told me that since the problem is intermittent and the headlights are currently working it is likely that they might not find the cause of the problem. So, I did not leave my car with the service writer.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Aug 242009

When the car is first started, the driver side headlight usually goes out within the first few minutes of driving. It is almost always the driver side but it has happened a few times with the passenger side. When I turn the headlights off and then back on both headlights function, although the light that had been out initially is not as bright as the other. This happens intermittently for the first 10-20 minutes of driving and then both headlights seem to function properly. I recently drove at night for nearly 5 hours and only had this problem during the first 20 minutes of driving.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Mar 102010

I have been driving a 2007 Toyota Prius since July 2007. The hid headlights switch off automatically while driving. Sometimes the left hid switches off but the right headlights stays on. The headlights turn off but the display from the inside says that headlights are turned on. The headlights come on if I turn the headlights off and turn them back on then both of them are working till they switch off again during driving. Almost got in a T-bone accident when the other driver did not see me. If I am driving using cruise-control, the car seem to speed up a bit just for a sec a or two when you initially apply brakes.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Jan 012010

My 2007 Toyota Prius has a safety related defect with the hid lights. These lights will go out sporadically while driving. Often times it takes less than 10 seconds for both lights to be off while driving at night. I have replaced both lights, twice with aftermarket bulbs and the problem remains. Toyota is charging $450 to replace the bulbs a third time, with no warranty if they fail. This same repair can be done online with identical bulbs for $50. Adding to the difficulty is that the bulb housing is largely inaccessible for a normal user. Many owners, based on hundreds of descriptions on the internet, have taken to removing the entire bumper just to replace the headlight bulb (which is what I have to do since my hands aren't tiny). This design flaw exacerbates the repair of a safety related defect. The hid lightbulbs in question are denso D4R's, which according to jd power should have an average lifespan of 90,000 miles for an average user. Most users are experiencing half of this value. Indicating the ECU or ballast is at fault despite the initial research done on this particular topic by NHTSA, my headlights do both fail within a short period of time of one another - constituting a legitimate safety concern. One will fail upon turning the car on within a few seconds, leaving the 2nd to either fail shortly after, or at any period of time after this point. This is with new bulbs that are at spec for the car according to the manual. I have no course of resolution for this matter, and Toyota is unwilling to help. I am concerned about my safety while driving this car, especially in the rain, or at night. I would hope that the NHTSA takes light failures as seriously as they do brake and accelerator failures, as they're also likely to lead to accidents.

- Newcastle, WA, USA

Mar 102010

I've got a package 2 2007 Prius. One of the headlights keeps going out. I can't really tell when or how it goes out since I can't see it. I'll notice it when I see the reflection in the back of another car. If I turn the bright lights on and off it has no effect, but when I turn them all the way off and back on the light comes back. Sometimes on long trips it will stay on the whole time, sometimes it won't. sometimes on short trips it will go out, sometimes it won't. it is not an event I can make happen.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Mar 042007

Driverside front headlight intermittently went out. Took my automobile to original dealer on March 9, 2010 and it was replaced. During my conversation with the service advisor, he indicated that the passenger side headlight might experience the same problem. He was correct. On March 10, 2007 the passenger side began having the same problem. This is the same problem described in NHTSA -PE09019. I am concerned for my safety and others who will be affected. In addition I have no assurance that this replacement will not be required over and over at a very high dollar cost. Please advise.

- Litchfield Park, AZ, USA

Mar 012010

The headlamps on my 2007 Toyota Prius intermittently fail. They periodically flicker. The headlamps operate after being turned off for some time. No crash yet! dangerous situation!

- Edwardsburg, MI, USA

Mar 102010

1. wife is leary of driving our 2007 Toyota Prius because of problem brakes. We need a better description of what happens when we try to turn off the engine going 100 mph. 2. lights are poor. We cannot see very far ahead in this deer infested environment. I have better lights on my 1997 Hyundai 3. one or the other headlight flickers and goes out for no understandable reason. We turn the lights off and turn them on again and it works ok. This could be a safety hazard. What is being done to fix it. 4. seating. My first encounter with the Toyota complaint system cam about as I was trying to get the driver seat moved back because I have long legs. The dealer said they have no way of fixing this but that I should go to the after market. I asked if Toyota would accept an aftermarket solution. The dealer said that they will evaluate it after it is installed to tell us if it meets safety specifications no aftermarket supplier will try to fix this because they have not assurance that it will be accepted by Toyota. Yet Toyota gives no technical information about what is acceptable. I complained formally to the dealer and got nowhere. I then sent a formal complaint to national Toyota. They passed the complaint back to the dealer for response. For me this is a major flaw in the Toyota complaint handling system. They have a closed loop when it comes to complaints. 5. I like the car and it gets the mileage I expected. I am not sure I will ever get another Toyota if there are reasonable alternative that get good mileage.

- Hedgesville, WV, USA

Dec 032009

Since early December 2009, my 2007 Toyota Prius has had a safety problem with the hid headlights going out intermittently, usually only one side at a time, but several times both have gone out at the same time. I live just off a dark, winding road, and twice both of the lights went out at the same time, leaving me totally in the dark. I was able to flip then off and back on to narrowly avoid a potential fatal accident. I have been stopped by the ga highway patrol and given a warning due to the driver side headlight not working at dusk once. Had it been dark already, the officer would have ticketed me he said. This is a major safety issue that requires the NHTSA to investigate thoroughly with Prius owners. There are several blogs on the internet reporting this problem and complaining about the exorbitant cost that Toyota dealerships charge to "fix" the problem (from $800 to $1800), only to find that the problem is repeated within a year or two. The local Toyota dealership said that my "repair" would be about $1,100, but I declined because I feel that this is an inherent defect in the headlights themselves, the wiring harness, or the computer module (or possibly all of them) that may or may not be fixed by throwing money at it now. I beg you to investigate this issue and consider making Toyota issue a general recall due to the headlights issue. Someone is going to be killed one day, if it hasn't already happened. It probably already has. This car was purchased new, not driven hard or over bad roads, routine maintenance has been kept up, and it has less than 39,000 miles on it (about 37,000 at the time the problem began). I am in the process of contacting Toyota motors now to complain about this safety issue and defective parts to see what they will do to help me. Thank you for taking the time to investigate this serious issue and I hope that you will be able to make a difference to save lives because of it.

- Hoschton , GA, USA

Mar 092010

The passenger side headlight bulb on my wife's 2007 Prius goes out intermittently, after it's been turned on at dusk. Turning the lights off and then on again makes the light work for a short while until it goes out again. Not something we should be doing while driving down the road. The dealer told her to wait until the light goes completely out before bringing it in to be replaced. I tried to replace it for her but found it required quite a bit of skill and quite a bit of time. This has been an on-going problem, since christmas, 2009.

- Ft. Mill, SC, USA