2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 25 of 46)

Feb 012009

Prius

My 2007 Prius hid headlight goes out randomly. This problem was first observed on passenger side headlight at approximately 30,000 miles and now failing on driver side as well. The vehicle is now at 54,000 miles. I turn the switch off then on again; it would work for awhile but would go out again. This occurs every time I use the headlights and the failure frequency is increasing. These expansive hid headlights are not reliable and put occupants at extreme risk while driving on dark roadways. This is a serious safety problem. I cannot afford to spend over $600 to replace the headlights that will fail again shortly. Standard, inexpensive halogen headlights are more reliable and have longer life. These hid headlights are defective and need to be recalled by Toyota and replaced with dependable hid headlights.

- Hudson, OH, USA

Sep 012009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius. The hid lights just turn off for no reason. It is random. It is a great danger when it is dark and the lights just go off. We are in a rural area so there are no lights near the road when it happens. At this point if I turn the lights off and back on they come back. This has been an intermittent problem for a few months. The bigger issue is that the dealer does not know what causes this and wants to spend over $1000 in trial fixes.

- Duvall, WA, USA

Nov 012009

Prius

The headlights on our 2007 Toyota Prius go out at random intervals -- it appears to be related to the ballast controlling the lights. The failure happens constantly -- probably at least every few minutes while driving. Sometimes one headlight, sometimes both. It can be "fixed" temporarily by turning the lights off and on, only to repeat itself shortly thereafter. The replacement costs of the system are extremely prohibitive ($1,000), and obviously, this is a very dangerous situation when driving at night. I have been driving and had both lights go out simultaneously on a darkened highway, which is terrifying.

- Washington, DC, USA

Feb 012010

Prius

Toyota Prius 2007: We own this vehicle which has less then 80K miles on it and the headlights turn off when in use. They do not both go out, it is usually first the passenger side, then I will have to turn them off and back on to get it working again. Then, after a few minutes, the driver's side light turns off. Who has ever heard of headlights dying out so early" I read that there was a similar problem on the 2005 model so I called my local lansing, mi Toyota dealerships service department. They said that it is likely that they are just going out. I informed him of the mileage and his response was "well, they are up to four years old." Again, I asked who has ever heard of buying a new vehicle such as we did with this one, and then the headlights lasting only a few years, well under 100K, not to mention the prior recall? they said well if it is a computer software problem, instead of just replacing the bulbs you are looking at a thousand plus dollars for repair. I believe this is just a way for them to not lose money as there are other dangerous problems with these models. I have children and I do not want to be driving down the road in the evening and then I suddenly lose the ability to have headlights altogether! is that what it will take for a recall to happen" I hope you can help.

- Saint Johns, MI, USA

Feb 152010

Prius

The driver side hid headlights were failing intermittently. At one point all of the headlights failed while driving at night on the highway. Fog lamps were still working. Replaced the driver side headlight. 2 months later passenger side headlight started working intermittently. Didn't wait for a complete failure to happen while I was on the highway again. Replaced passenger side headlight.

- Dartmouth, 00, USA

Feb 152010

Prius

2007 Prius, with hid headlights. Both lights go out at the same time, leaving you in total darkness. When you try to turn the high-beams on in this condition the entire dash lighting system blacks out. This has happened on numerous occasions before we actually understood they problem. It was very infrequent at first, starting on thanksgiving 2009. It has happened twice this past weekend. I have called a Toyota dealer and they tell me we need to replace the head lamps. I find it extremely difficult to believe that the entire lighting fails, because of a bad headlight, let alone add in the attempt to switch on the high beams and the entire dash lights go out. We have not been able to get the car to a dealership yet due to scheduling.

- San Dimas, CA, USA

Jan 192008

Prius

I have a Toyota Prius 2007. I have 2 safety issues that I have complained to the dealer about but they are unable to fix so they ignored my concerns after realizing they could not fix the problem. First problem is the head lights. When driving at night the high beams do not shine on the road but shine into the trees. They say there is no adjustments for it. Also people think I am shining my high beams at them when I am not. They are just too high....also the headlights do no illuminate the sides of the car and road so when making turns at night you cannot see where you are turning. I have to approach turns very very slowly because I cannot see the roads when turning. Everyone that drives my car complains about this noticeable problem however Toyota wont address it because they say there is no adjustment. 2nd problem their slip differential. Whether there is snow on the ground or not when the tires start to slip they loose all power to the wheels. I have been in intersections when this has occurred and was almost hit. Even when trying to drive over the stop in the car wash...sometimes I am unable to power over the bump. I get stuck often. Again Toyota says this is a normal function of the car. Not something I would expect from a $24,000 car. Our values have plummeted and there is no recourse for it.

- Covington, KY, USA

Jan 022010

Prius

Drivers side headlamp goes out and comes back on - gets dimmer and goes out again. 2007 Prius.

- Lindenhurst, NY, USA

Jan 162010

Prius

Toyota Prius 2007 passenger hid (headlamp) goes off and on. Lamp or controller? no known event has caused this. Because it corrects for no apparent reason we are confused.

- Davis, CA, USA

Feb 102010

Prius

My headlights went out twice this week on my 2007 Toyota Prius.

- Madawaska, ME, USA

Apr 102009

Prius

In the spring of 2009 the headlights of my 2007 Prius started to go out while I was driving. If I flicked the lights off and on they would come back for a little while. However, this caused me to get pulled over on two occasions for a missing headlight. This happened at least 20 times that I was able to notice (because of a lack of illumination while driving at night) and was cited by the police twice before it was repaired. The Toyota dealership said that this was a common problem because of defective light bulbs. However, Toyota would not replace the defective bulbs because both rarely went out at the same time. However, I felt this was a safety hazard and had to pay $150 per light, plus labor to change the light bulbs.

- Waltham, MA, USA

Dec 152009

Prius

The hid headlights on my 2007 Toyota Prius touring edition will stop working while driving. Either the left, right or both headlights will turn off without warning. When I turn the lights off and then on again, both bulbs work fine. The lights do not flicker while on or before they are about to turn off. I have been pulled over because of this and have also had the lights turn off while driving in mountain roads. The are high intensity discharge lamps. High intensity discharge lights do not have a filament. Instead light is created from an electrical discharge between two electrodes in a micro-environment of xenon gas and metal halide salts. Toyota sent me a letter talking about the hid headlight Prius problem, but did not acknowledge any wrong doing or necessity of a recall. I suspect the problem is with the relationship between the ballast that creates the energy and the bulbs.

- Solana Beach, CA, USA

Feb 062010

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius hid headlights turns on/off intermittently. Right headlight went out, then next day after engine was shut off for a day, right headlight began working again. Then 2 days later left headlight went out and after engine shut off for a day, left headlight began working again. Bulbs are not blown as they continue to work but Toyota recommends changing them at a cost of $400. I have a concern about both headlights going out simultaneously while driving at night. Upon further inquiries, it appears many others are experiencing the same or similar problems

- Sandy Hook, CT, USA

Jan 042010

Prius

2007 Prius - hid headlights intermittently going off by themselves. Activating the headlamp switch off / back on restores lighting, however, they may only last a few minutes before going off again. No warning except for the law enforcement officers who continue to stop me at least once a week to indicate to me that I have a light out. How much longer before I am ticketed" request to the dealer for assistance indicates Toyota's position is to replace both lights at the owners expense of close to $1000 for parts and labor. Totally unacceptable for a definate safety issue, or must someone die before Toyota accepts responsibility"

- Blackwood, NJ, USA

Jan 022010

Prius

The event leading up to the failures would be driving the Prius with the lights on. The high density lights just randomly stopped working. The failure happened many days together and then there were times when there was long breaks in the problem occurring. One or both high intensity head lights would stop working while I was driving down the road. Most times turning the lights on and off would get them to work again. I was fortunate as I could have had an accident when I could not see ann most times my two young boys are in the car with me.. I spent $500 at the toyoto dealer ship to replace these headlights and the dealership said this still may not solve the problem

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 302010

Prius

Hid headlamps going out, both the left and the right

- Kelsey, MN, USA

Jan 092010

Prius

I have a 2007 Prius, about 2 years ago the right headlight started intermittently going out. This began to occur about 75% of the time after about a year. It usually occurred after several minutes of driving. I mentioned it to the dealer at my routine servicing but they found no problem the first two times I mentioned it, then last summer they confirmed the problem and told me it would be about 850$ to fix it. I said no thanks. Then last month they told me they could do it for 250$ so I said ok. As soon as I drove home the same problem started on the left. I went right back to the dealer and said what is going on? they told me at first it was just a coincidence and that the left light was old and it had nothing to do with replacing the right. At that I got upset so they conferred and came up the explanation that new light on the right was sucking energy from the left, and since the left light was old, it was now failing. That sounded like a bunch of bologna to me so I said just give me my car. So now I have a flickering left headlight.

- La Quinta, CA, USA

Feb 022010

Prius

Both headlights failed at once while driving home at night in 50mph zone! turned off/on headlights and they worked properly. Toyota needs to fix this issue asap before someone gets killed.

- Limerick, ME, USA

Jan 202010

Prius

1. intermittent headlight failure at 57K miles in 2007 Prius. 2. right headlight has twice gone out, only to recover at next use of car. 3. checked web and found premature headlight failures like this are widespread and expensive to repair. Received Toyota letter about problem. Dealer will replace mine at no cost to me.

- Fairlee, VT, USA

Jan 162010

Prius

Hid headlight suddenly turning off. The problem has occurred almost randomly in our 2007 Toyota Prius since Nov 2009. The lights go out sometimes one, sometimes both headlights. The problem is almost always resolved by flipping the headlights off and then back on again - however that is a temporary solution as the headlights sometimes go out again within a minute. The occurrences of this happening are difficult to discern as one cannot always tell if just one headlight goes out. However the problem does appear to be random - daytime, nighttime, rain, snow, bumpy or smooth roads.

- Raleigh, NC, USA