2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 28 of 46)

Oct 152009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius. Passenger side headlamp turns off after several minutes of operation. It will come back on if you turn the headlights off and then on. This is a serious safety issue that one headlight goes out and it requires that both be turned off to come back on.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius headlight goes out intermittently.

- Waddell, AZ, USA

Dec 022009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius with hid headlights. While driving to work, I experienced the following. Left headlight went out. I drove the rest of the way to work with right hid light working and fog lights. Called my mechanic, he never heard of this problem. On way home from work, I turned on headlights and they worked. I have not had the same problem since. Friend at home notified me of this web site.

- Martinsville, IN, USA

Dec 142009

Prius

Drivers' side headlight will go out and then come back on.

- Peru, IN, USA

Dec 122009

Prius

Passenger-side headlight intermittently fails. Pulled over by police and issued citation warning for headlamp failure. Headlight resumed working on the drive home, has failed again today.

- Townsend, MA, USA

Dec 082009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius hid headlamp failure. This manufacturer installed hid lights in my Prius that cost much more than the standard light and is supposed to last the life of the vehicle failed without any indicator inside (a policeman alerted me). The expect life of these lamps is clear when one considers the dealer must remove the front bumper to replace them. Dealer denied knowledge that this was a frequent issue yet priuschat forum on the internet has over 60 pages describing this and I also found the following link: www.autoweek.com/article/20090701/carnews/907019991#ixzz0zuzarhgk dealer ended up charging me $480 to replace two light bulbs! I have registered a case with Toyota. Also the dealer lied as in the beginning of the service visit he said it was not a common problem that he was a aware of yet when I was leaving I asked him why he replaced just the bulbs and not any electronics and he said "because they have learned from experience when this happens to just replace the bulbs.

- Highland Park, IL, USA

Jul 012009

Prius

My 2007 Prius high intensity display (hid) headlights fail intermittently. The driver's side began failing in spring 2009, and by winter, the passenger side light was also failing. There is a Toyota service bulletin on the problem, but I am having trouble getting the problem fixed. Toyota customer experience hotline gave me a case number and said they would reimburse me the cost of replacement (parts and labor), but the dealer said the reimbursement will only cover the lights (which are defective and will fail again until Toyota recalls the lights on the market and replaces them all). Also, Toyota customer experience would not commit to reimbursing the cost of repair until the problem had been diagnosed by the dealer, which is problematic because the lights always work when they are initially turned on and when they are re-started. This is very dangerous, obviously.

- Orange, CA, USA

Nov 012009

Prius

One or both headlamps randomly and intermittently extinguish while driving. Toyota will "diagnose" and advise of repair. Toyota customer care acknowledges there is a known problem, but may only possibly choose "goodwill" action be taken. These are the Toyota hid lamps that are documented in PE09019. Someone needs to do something about this well documented problem before someone is killed!

- Poway, CA, USA

Sep 012009

Prius

The passenger side headlight intermittently fails. If you turn the headlight switch off, then back on, it will start working again for a period of time. There does not appear to be a pattern to it. This is a safety issue as we can not have our headlights deciding when and where they choose to function.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 032009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius headlight replacements.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Prius

I have a 2007 Prius. A few nights ago, I was driving up the pch here in los angeles only to have my right (passenger side) headlight go out and my left one start blinking on and off. I pulled over, turned the light off and then on. The left light came on, the right light stayed out. I called the dealership to be told fixing either light would be $350 a piece because they are special hid lights and I'm 2,000 miles over warranty, so too bad. I never asked for these lights, didn't know I had them and now feel unsafe driving with them. And then to charge a ludicrous amount to keep them working is just robbery. It's a Prius, not a Porsche. I'm very disappointed no one told me the precarious cost and care of these lights and their unreliable nature. Toyota needs to be made aware of these problems with their head lamps and have a more advantages replacement strategy.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Prius

1. headlight on 2007 Toyota Prius is malfunctioning. 2. the light does not come on/stay on when lights are powered. Occurs on an almost daily basis. Has proven unsafe when driving at night.

- Starkville, MS, USA

Nov 232009

Prius

One or both headlights will fail while driving. Problem can be alleviated by turning lights off then on again.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Nov 182009

Prius

The hid headlights on my 2007 Prius would randomly go out. Both drivers side and passengers side may stop operating at any time while driving. I have had both inoperable at the same time while driving at night. Both headlight bulbs were replaced at my expense. Toyota will not reimburse me for the cost of replacing the defective bulbs because the vehicle mileage exceeds the factory warranty, though it is still well within the 36 month warranty period. Representatives from both the service and parts department of my local Toyota dealership assured me that the 'new bulbs' don't have the same problem that the original bulbs did. So far, that has proven correct. I have read the NHTSA investigation into this problem (PE09019) into this problem and I am frankly shocked that Toyota and particularly the NHTSA don't consider having to turn your headlights off and on again while driving at night to be a safety defect worthy of recall. The NHTSA summary states that Toyota has acknowledged the defect:: "Toyota confirmed that a headlamp could extinguish while driving due to a bulb failure, and that it could be temporarily restored by turning the headlight switch on and off, and that simultaneous failure of both headlamps was rare and unlikely." The NHTSA investigation summary also mentioned the following: "Toyota also briefly discussed their intention to conduct a customer service campaign to address consumer dissatisfaction with hid bulb failures. " I filed a complaint with Toyota corporate about this problem and was told that they have no intention of a recall or any other action at this time that will address customer dissatisfaction. It is clear to me that Toyota will not take responsibility for this obvious safety issue and it will require outside intervention by the NHTSA to push for a resolution that is in the best interest of the general public out on the roads every night.

- Mercer Island, WA, USA

Jan 012009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius hid headlights failure on both headlights.

- Mundelein, IL, USA

Nov 252009

Prius

Hid headlamps fail repeatedly. Right front replaced last year at approx. 45,000 miles. Left front is failing now at 80,000 miles.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Oct 282009

Prius

Periodic hid headlight failure in 2007 Prius. Requested the problem be fixed with in the initial warranty and problem still persists.

- Mill Creek, WA, USA

Nov 032009

Prius

Driver and passenger side headlights fail intermittently at night for past three weeks. Turning off/on headlight switch corrects.

- Limerick, ME, USA

Nov 182009

Prius

1. not sure 2. headlights on our 2007 Prius go out unexpectedly, sometimes at night both are out, creating a dangerous situation 3. took it to Toyota dealer; lights worked fine then; they said it would be my expense to replace bulbs; decided to wait to see if problem happened during daylight hours to take it to them to verify it is a bulb problem; then discovered bulb failure is a chronic problem with the Prius; Toyota should correct problem and replace bulbs at their expense.

- Waunakee, WI, USA

Nov 132009

Prius

Left headlight of vehicle was out completely. Stopped and restarted car and light returned to normal. This event has happened twice before. In October 2009 both sets of headlights went out while driving on a township blacktop road at night. This required stopping car and repeatedly turned lights on and off and restarted car. Lights finally returned.

- Warrenville, IL, USA