2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 30 of 46)

Oct 192009

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius and my headlights keep going on and off. Quoted from 150 to 800 to replace. I think this is a factory defect.

- Hoquiam, WA, USA

Nov 062009

Prius

My 2007 Toyota Prius has been experiencing premature failure of the hid headlights for the past month. They alternately go on and off by themselves sometimes both together. One incident involved them both turning off one night on a dark country road without any illumination. This threw me into immediate panic as everything went completely black. It was only by luck that I was alert enough to have a mental picture of the road that I was on and was able to quickly slow down while navigating away from known obstacles. Once stopped I turned the vehicle off and on and the lights returned and remained on for the remainder of the trip. Quite a dangerous event. Last night I was traveling on an illuminated highway and was subsequently stopped by a state law enforcement officer. When asked if I knew why I was stopped and I replied no, he stated that it was due to my drivers side headlight being out. When I inquired Toyota for a price to have this situation corrected I was told $1000+ for the cost of materials and labor and it was not covered under warranty. This situation truly is a safety hazard that needs to be corrected immediately at no cost to the consumer under an official recall. I have to think that there are others out there with a similar problem.

- Blackwood, NJ, USA

Aug 012009

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius. I have observed that one of my headlights flickers and dies sporadically, but relights when the headlights are switched off and then back on. After relighting, a single headlight again eventually flickers and dies. According to internet research, this is a common problem with Toyota high intensity discharge headlights, and a case by your office has been opened (and closed) under case number: PE09019. I strongly believe this case should be reopened.

- Wilmington , DE, USA

Prius

Hid lights on 2007 Toyota Prius are going out.

- Laurel, DE, USA

Nov 032009

Prius

My 2007 Toyota Prius hid headlights would go dim and finally without warming shut off and become dark. I would need to shut off the headlight switch and turn them back on. This "winking" of headlights would occur continuously.

- Flushing, NY, USA

Oct 312009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius - the headlights go off intermittently with no warning, rhyme or reason. Turning the switch off and then on temporarily fixes the problem but not completely. Toyota dealer says the bulbs are burned out and wants $1000 to replace them. If the bulbs were burned out, why do they come back on?

- Dallas, TX, USA

Sep 092009

Prius

When driving at night my wife told me her right head light would go out. When I check the car it was working!! so after several months of this of her telling me this story we started leaving the lights on during the day and checking to see what was going on. Finally we noticed that not only does the right head light go out but they both go out.so I took the car to the dealer with the lights on and by the time I got there both head lights failed. My car has 34,890 miles on it and it is 2years into the basic 3 year warranty. The dealer replaced both bulbs and told me to come back if it happens again and they will replace some other electronic part. They seem to know there is a problem or defect in lighting system in the car.

- Nottingham, MD, USA

Nov 052009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius - passenger side head-light has stopped working with only 42,000 miles on the vehicle. Checked the internet and find that this is not a unique issue, there are quite a few others with the same concern. This is the third Toyota I have owned and I've never had a complaint about any of my previous automobiles.

- Ijamsville, MD, USA

Jan 252009

Prius

Random failure of either or both headlights. Headlights go off and will come back on when the switch is turned off and back on, but likely will go off again. This is a well known defect on the 2007 Toyota Prius, Toyota will not pay to fix this problem, instead choosing to charge 200 to 1000 dollars to repair with no guarantee that it will not recur.

- Williamston, SC, USA

Nov 042009

Prius

I have owned a 2007 Toyota Prius since new (3 years). I noticed about 3 months ago that, when I turned on my headlights, the right lamp was starting out at full brightness but gradually dimming until it completely went out altogether. Switching the lights off and on again would restore the light to full brightness, but then the light would gradually begin to dim again. This is a very serious safety issue, as I do not know that the light has gone out while I am driving (as I said, it is very gradual and obviously cannot be seen from the drivers seat). The dealership recommends changing both hid bulbs, with a quoted cost of $553 including parts and labor. Apparently lightbulbs are not covered, even under extended warranty. After researching this issue further, I have learned that this is an extremely common problem with the 2007 Prius. In light of that fact, Toyota should absolutely conduct a recall of what is obviously a significant defect, and a very serious safety issue as well. It is extremely unfair to sell us a faulty product and then ask us to pay for the repairs, or else endanger our safety by driving with faulty headlights.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 232009

Prius

2007 Prius with 36K miles, hid headlights. Stopped by police who told us that we had both a headlight and a tail-light out. This was only a couple of weeks after the car passed state inspection. Upon returning home, found that both headlights were working but that taillight was out. My wife mentioned that other people had been telling her for a couple of months that there was a taillight out on the car, but it was always working when we checked. The next day after the police stopped us, I noted that all lights on the car were working. Took car to dealer, where they claimed that they thought it was a bulb issue and could replace if I wanted. I countered that a bulb should either work or not, and that this intermittent operation seemed to indicate an electrical or wiring problem, but the dealer didn't agree. The dealer checked all the lights, and found them all to be working. Just after returning from the dealer, I discovered that the passenger headlight was out.

- Williamstown, MA, USA

Oct 102009

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius (touring edition) with hid headlights. My headlights continue to flicker as if they are going out, and quite often I notice that one or the other bulbs isn't working. Once I even had both headlights go out without any notice on the dash board, and only noticed they were both off when entering an unlit street.

- Lakeway, TX, USA

Mar 012009

Prius

I own a 2007 Prius touring vehicle. The hid headlamps frequently fail. Typically what happens is that I am driving and notice one of the headlamps flicker quickly then turn off. Often times the remedy is to simply turn the headlight switch off, then turn it back on. Typically, the headlight will stay on a few minutes to many hours. I have contacted my dealer on the issue, but the total fix costs nearly $1000. After reading about complaints, many owners experience the same issue months or years after the fix. I feel Toyota should take on the responsibility to fix this issue because they are aware that many of their vehicles with hid headlamps experience the same problems. It is not due to overuse, neglect, or abuse on my part. It is a defect my Prius was likely to experience the moment they sold the vehicle to me.

- Paoli, PA, USA

Prius

Headlights, both driver and passenger sides fail. Can be corrected temporarily by turning off and then turning back on. Already stopped by police with a warning. Has been occurring for a month or more. Happens in all conditions, sun, rain, cloudy, etc.

- Blairstown, NJ, USA

Oct 312009

Prius

Both headlights on our 2007 Toyota Prius have begun either to flicker and dim, or else fail completely, and apparently at random, whilst the vehicle is in operation. The passenger-side has suffered the problem for the last several months, again sporadically, but only recently has the driver-side begun to show similar troubles. It has proved very difficult to operate the vehicle at night, when the lamps can suddenly and unexpectedly fail, and leave the driver entirely at the mercy of his own, unilluminated, sight. The dealership has quoted a replacement cost of over $800 for both lights, and claims them not covered under the company warranty.

- Balitmore, MD, USA

Oct 012008

Prius

The hid bulbs on my 2007 Prius have been failing since last fall and continue to do so at some point almost every time I drive the car at night. If I turn the lights completely off, then back on, this seems to "reboot" the lights.

- Potomac Falls, VA, USA

Oct 282009

Prius

The headlight is physically going out. I noticed it when I pulled into my driveway last night and had only the driver's side headlight shining against the garage door. I did the same thing I have done before, I turned the lights off then back on again and it again came on. This is typically how I have noticed the light has gone out, with what should be two lights shining against the back of an SUV, van, truck, garage door etc.. like last night, last week it was doing it frequently enough that I would see the light pop off while driving in the rain. Otherwise it hasn't been very noticeable when it has happened while IżM driving it. Always when I pull up to something.

- Owatonna, MN, USA

Oct 272009

Prius

A second incidence of the same problem. See ODI number 10285154. On the original complaint, the driver's side headlamp on a 2007 Toyota Prius was intermittent.(date of incidence was 9/16/09). The headlamp was replaced. On 10/27/09, the same problem occurred with the passenger side headlamp. The lamp goes off. To reactivate, the headlamp switch is turned off and then turned back on. Headlamp is to be replaced on 10/30/09. NHTSA closed action with Toyota a couple of months ago on this problem because it was stated that both bulbs would not go out at the same time. As a former automotive industry professional, I say that this second occurrence indicates that both bulbs could go out simultaneously and that this case with Toyota should be reopened. Since I do not know the root cause of the problem, I do not know if the problem has been solved on the replacement lamps.

- Smithfield, VA, USA

Mar 152009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius headlamps cut off while driving. First the passenger side. Now recently both driver and passenger headlamps cut off. Turning light off then back on makes headlamps work for a period of time. Cuts off about 5-10 minutes into running the car.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius and the hid headlights will unexpectedly shut off while driving.

- Adell, WI, USA