2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 31 of 46)

Oct 012009

Prius

Headlights randomly fail while driving. The issue is not the bulb as the headlights will turn back on if you flick the lights off and on again. Toyota dealership claims it's just the bulb, wants $800 to repair. This is clearly a safety defect since hid bulbs are supposed to last significantly longer than regular bulbs and since the bulbs can fail at random times, yet work fine at random times as well.

- Woodland Hills, CA, USA

Oct 232009

Prius

On several occasions I have taken my 2007 back to the dealer for intermittent headlight failure, while driving! one light would go out, or both would go to while driving the vehicle creating a potential life threatening situation. The dealer could not identify the problem, then on October 23 2009, they were finally able to replicate the problem and said I needed two new headlight units at the cost of $400 each (parts and labor). I decided to document this potential life threatening problem to the NHTSA, so you could add my complaint to the complaints that you have already received in order to pressure Toyota motors to take corrective action.

- Ninety Six, SC, USA

Oct 162009

Prius

For some time the headlights on our 2007 Toyota Prius have been behaving strangely, with one or the other going out intermittently, then later coming back on. Last weekend while driving at night on dark, narrow, twisty mountain roads, they both suddenly went out. The car can not be driven at night due to the risk of headlamp failure and crash. Toyota dealers quote $1000-plus cost to repair an obvious design flaw with serious safety implications.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Oct 232008

Prius

When driving with the headlamps on, one headlamp (usually the driver's side but it has occurred which the passenger side as well) will go out. If I turn the lights off and turn them back on the both lights will work again. This is intermittent and I can't make it happen. At my last service they could not reproduce the problem and looked at me like I was nuts. I live in the country and do a lot of night driving. I am beginning to notice this happening on a weekly basis.

- Placerville, CA, USA

Oct 182009

Prius

Toyota Prius headlamps are intermittent. Toyota dealer replaced the bulb but it's still intermittent.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Oct 202009

Prius

Have had problems with 2007 Toyota Prius several months. Different times neighbors and other drivers pointing out headlight that was out. Turned them back on and thinking nothing was wrong with my headlights when I got out of the car and looked but noticed they had been dimming trough time. Could not tell which lights were out because then they would work. 2 near misses when other driver noticed my headlights were out but due to heavy traffic was able to drive due to other drivers lighting. Driving the other night with family in car and lights went out completely. Panicked and turned them back on and they came on but still dimmer. Coming home from work the other day and then stopped by police in which I explained my headlight problems and informed them that my plans were to take Prius to dealership. After this incident and driving at night with my family in car this was my final step. Took 2007 Toyota Prius 10/20/09 to dealership and they said it would cost me replacing the headlight. Of course at my cost. They performed diagnostic testing and could not find any problems other than the headlights needed to be replaced at a cost of several hundred dollars.

- League City, TX, USA

Oct 192009

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius. The driver side head light goes out now and then as I am driving. It is unpredictable. If I turn the lights off and then back on, the light works again. It has been going on for 2 months. Now the other light is doing the same thing.

- Compton, CA, USA

Oct 012009

Prius

Hid headlight on driver's side went out.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Oct 142009

Prius

The right headlight went out on my 2007 Prius that has 40K miles on it. I didn't know the headlight was out. It was pointed out to me at the time of routine maintenance. I don't know how long I've been driving without a headlight. There's no warning signal in the car to alert me to the problem. I had the bulb replaced and it is working now, but I have since learned that this problem is not uncommon and is likely to recur so I'm concerned about it.

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

Oct 152009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius intermitant headlamp issue.

- Lindsay, TX, USA

Mar 102009

Prius

I am the owner of a 2007 Toyota Prius. I am having problems with both headlights. My headlights will turn off every time I drive. Most of the time just one will go out. I can turn the switch off, then back on and the headlight will work for a short time and go out again. Only a few times have they gone out at the same time, very scary situations. I have done research online and am not the only Prius owner with this problem.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Oct 152009

Prius

Hid headlamps failure. Driver side headlamp was going out randomly in August 2009. Vehicle is in warranty (20K miles) and dealer replaced bulb at no charge. In October the same problem began to occur on the passenger side. Again, the dealer replaced bulb at no charge. These bulbs are very expensive and difficult to replace and should last longer than 20K miles.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Apr 212009

Prius

Head lights failed to work while driving at night.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Mar 102009

Prius

2007 Prius headlights - both go out, intermittently.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Aug 012009

Prius

2007 Prius started driving with headlights on. Drove from a well lit area with many street lights into an without any overhead lighting. Realized that the lights were not operating, while I was trying to determine what the problem was, looking at the headlight switch, I veered into an adjoining lane, luckily there were no vehicles in that lane. Eventually I turned the lights off and then back on again and they worked properly. Now the lights randomly turn off, passenger or driver side, while driving. I continually check the lights and turn them off and on to restart the lights. I have not had the lights fixed, I am waiting for Toyota to issue a safety campaign and to extend the warranty on this issue.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Apr 012009

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius, and the driver's side headlight has been giving me problems for about the last 20K miles(50-70K). Toyota dealer said it would cost over $400 to replace the bulb, but I can turn the lights on and off to make it light up again. Seems like this is an electrical problem and not the bulb. When searching for a cheaper alternative, I ran across how many of the Prius are having the same problem. I live in a very rural area with curvy winding roads getting home in the evening. When that light cuts out I can hardly see the road. I don't know how this isn't a safety issue, especially when it could happen to both as I read has happened with others.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Sep 012009

Prius

Intermittent failure of driver's side headlight. The light will come back on if the light switch is turned off and then back on, and will remain on for a an unpredictable period of time, some times as long two weeks before failing again. Toyota has advise me to bring the vehicle to a service facility when the light is out, but the light fails on weekends, holidays, or late at night when the dealership is not open. An internet search disclosed that this headlight failure is a fairly common defect in 2007 Prius.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Aug 122007

Prius

Head lights on 2007 Prius with 59987 miles keep going out and you have to turn them off to get them to come back on. Dealership says it is going to cost $826 plus tax to fix the problem even though I have the platinum extended warranty.

- Milton, WV, USA

Sep 232009

Prius

Front passenger headlight intermittently goes on and off with no reason. If the other headlight would burn out, I would be left in the dark. Replaced headlight and computer sub assembly $514 old part not available the day after this was repaired, the other headlight started doing the same thing! suspicious?

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 162008

Prius

I bought a 2007 Toyota Prius on August 1, 2007. I didn't have any issues with my car until August of 2008 when I started having issues with my headlights and tail lights (they would go off and then when I turned the lights off and flipped back on, they would come back on again). Twice while driving at night, all of my lights went out (headlights, tail lights and dash board lights)! I brought car into dealer and they didn't know what was wrong but replaced the headlights (to the tune of $1200 a piece). I didn't have trouble with my headlights after than until this year (August of 2009). My passenger headlight is going out and then flipping back on for a bit (although the bulb seems dull) when I turn lights off and then back on again. The problem is they won't stay on and it seems insane to pay $2400 a year for what obviously seems to be a vehicle defect; not to mention the safety issue of only having 1 headlight that works or tail light and dashboard lights going out while driving at night!

- Brainerd, MN, USA