2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 31 of 46)

Oct 312009

Prius

Both headlights on our 2007 Toyota Prius have begun either to flicker and dim, or else fail completely, and apparently at random, whilst the vehicle is in operation. The passenger-side has suffered the problem for the last several months, again sporadically, but only recently has the driver-side begun to show similar troubles. It has proved very difficult to operate the vehicle at night, when the lamps can suddenly and unexpectedly fail, and leave the driver entirely at the mercy of his own, unilluminated, sight. The dealership has quoted a replacement cost of over $800 for both lights, and claims them not covered under the company warranty.

- Balitmore, MD, USA

Oct 012008

Prius

The hid bulbs on my 2007 Prius have been failing since last fall and continue to do so at some point almost every time I drive the car at night. If I turn the lights completely off, then back on, this seems to "reboot" the lights.

- Potomac Falls, VA, USA

Oct 282009

Prius

The headlight is physically going out. I noticed it when I pulled into my driveway last night and had only the driver's side headlight shining against the garage door. I did the same thing I have done before, I turned the lights off then back on again and it again came on. This is typically how I have noticed the light has gone out, with what should be two lights shining against the back of an SUV, van, truck, garage door etc.. like last night, last week it was doing it frequently enough that I would see the light pop off while driving in the rain. Otherwise it hasn't been very noticeable when it has happened while IżM driving it. Always when I pull up to something.

- Owatonna, MN, USA

Oct 272009

Prius

A second incidence of the same problem. See ODI number 10285154. On the original complaint, the driver's side headlamp on a 2007 Toyota Prius was intermittent.(date of incidence was 9/16/09). The headlamp was replaced. On 10/27/09, the same problem occurred with the passenger side headlamp. The lamp goes off. To reactivate, the headlamp switch is turned off and then turned back on. Headlamp is to be replaced on 10/30/09. NHTSA closed action with Toyota a couple of months ago on this problem because it was stated that both bulbs would not go out at the same time. As a former automotive industry professional, I say that this second occurrence indicates that both bulbs could go out simultaneously and that this case with Toyota should be reopened. Since I do not know the root cause of the problem, I do not know if the problem has been solved on the replacement lamps.

- Smithfield, VA, USA

Mar 152009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius headlamps cut off while driving. First the passenger side. Now recently both driver and passenger headlamps cut off. Turning light off then back on makes headlamps work for a period of time. Cuts off about 5-10 minutes into running the car.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Oct 052009

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius and the hid headlights will unexpectedly shut off while driving.

- Adell, WI, USA

Oct 012009

Prius

Headlights randomly fail while driving. The issue is not the bulb as the headlights will turn back on if you flick the lights off and on again. Toyota dealership claims it's just the bulb, wants $800 to repair. This is clearly a safety defect since hid bulbs are supposed to last significantly longer than regular bulbs and since the bulbs can fail at random times, yet work fine at random times as well.

- Woodland Hills, CA, USA

Oct 232009

Prius

On several occasions I have taken my 2007 back to the dealer for intermittent headlight failure, while driving! one light would go out, or both would go to while driving the vehicle creating a potential life threatening situation. The dealer could not identify the problem, then on October 23 2009, they were finally able to replicate the problem and said I needed two new headlight units at the cost of $400 each (parts and labor). I decided to document this potential life threatening problem to the NHTSA, so you could add my complaint to the complaints that you have already received in order to pressure Toyota motors to take corrective action.

- Ninety Six, SC, USA

Oct 162009

Prius

For some time the headlights on our 2007 Toyota Prius have been behaving strangely, with one or the other going out intermittently, then later coming back on. Last weekend while driving at night on dark, narrow, twisty mountain roads, they both suddenly went out. The car can not be driven at night due to the risk of headlamp failure and crash. Toyota dealers quote $1000-plus cost to repair an obvious design flaw with serious safety implications.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Oct 232008

Prius

When driving with the headlamps on, one headlamp (usually the driver's side but it has occurred which the passenger side as well) will go out. If I turn the lights off and turn them back on the both lights will work again. This is intermittent and I can't make it happen. At my last service they could not reproduce the problem and looked at me like I was nuts. I live in the country and do a lot of night driving. I am beginning to notice this happening on a weekly basis.

- Placerville, CA, USA

Oct 182009

Prius

Toyota Prius headlamps are intermittent. Toyota dealer replaced the bulb but it's still intermittent.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Oct 202009

Prius

Have had problems with 2007 Toyota Prius several months. Different times neighbors and other drivers pointing out headlight that was out. Turned them back on and thinking nothing was wrong with my headlights when I got out of the car and looked but noticed they had been dimming trough time. Could not tell which lights were out because then they would work. 2 near misses when other driver noticed my headlights were out but due to heavy traffic was able to drive due to other drivers lighting. Driving the other night with family in car and lights went out completely. Panicked and turned them back on and they came on but still dimmer. Coming home from work the other day and then stopped by police in which I explained my headlight problems and informed them that my plans were to take Prius to dealership. After this incident and driving at night with my family in car this was my final step. Took 2007 Toyota Prius 10/20/09 to dealership and they said it would cost me replacing the headlight. Of course at my cost. They performed diagnostic testing and could not find any problems other than the headlights needed to be replaced at a cost of several hundred dollars.

- League City, TX, USA

Oct 192009

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius. The driver side head light goes out now and then as I am driving. It is unpredictable. If I turn the lights off and then back on, the light works again. It has been going on for 2 months. Now the other light is doing the same thing.

- Compton, CA, USA

Oct 012009

Prius

Hid headlight on driver's side went out.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Oct 142009

Prius

The right headlight went out on my 2007 Prius that has 40K miles on it. I didn't know the headlight was out. It was pointed out to me at the time of routine maintenance. I don't know how long I've been driving without a headlight. There's no warning signal in the car to alert me to the problem. I had the bulb replaced and it is working now, but I have since learned that this problem is not uncommon and is likely to recur so I'm concerned about it.

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

Oct 152009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius intermitant headlamp issue.

- Lindsay, TX, USA

Mar 102009

Prius

I am the owner of a 2007 Toyota Prius. I am having problems with both headlights. My headlights will turn off every time I drive. Most of the time just one will go out. I can turn the switch off, then back on and the headlight will work for a short time and go out again. Only a few times have they gone out at the same time, very scary situations. I have done research online and am not the only Prius owner with this problem.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Oct 152009

Prius

Hid headlamps failure. Driver side headlamp was going out randomly in August 2009. Vehicle is in warranty (20K miles) and dealer replaced bulb at no charge. In October the same problem began to occur on the passenger side. Again, the dealer replaced bulb at no charge. These bulbs are very expensive and difficult to replace and should last longer than 20K miles.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Apr 212009

Prius

Head lights failed to work while driving at night.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Mar 102009

Prius

2007 Prius headlights - both go out, intermittently.

- Falls Church, VA, USA