2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 33 of 46)

Mar 152008

Prius

2007 Prius headlight goes off but comes back on if you turn lights off then back on this is my 2nd light first passenger now driver side light cost $393.

- New Lenox, IL, USA

Sep 192009

Prius

Driver's side headlamp periodically goes out and then will come back on after I turn off the lights and turn them back on again. Cause of failure is unknown. The headlamp will then work for several more trips and several more miles. But then, at random, it will fail again. The connection is not loose and the bulb is not burned out.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 242009

Prius

Original complaint number ODI 10281115 on 3 consecutive evenings 092209, 092309, 092409, one or both headlights have failed independent of each other and also simultaneously together resulting in no lighting. This is happening every evening and is now especially dangerous due to morning and evening commutes in darkness. When will the NHTSA force Toyota to issue a safety recall?

- Hanson, MA, USA

Aug 152009

Prius

Passenger headlight goes out intermittently. Turning the lights off and back on will usually fix the problem for a while, then the light goes off again. Impaired nighttime driving results, and turning the lights completely off and on again can be frightening and disorienting both to the driver and to oncoming traffic. Many people have reported identical problems with a standard run-around from Toyota. Replacing the bulb costs an exorbitant amount of money, and often results in the same problem all over again.

- Tower, MN, USA

Sep 162009

Prius

Driver's side headlamp is intermittent on 2007 Toyota Prius. Neither dealer nor Toyota has given a definitive answer on the corrective action. One time they say it is the ECU; the next time they said it was the headlamp. Failure was not duplicated at the dealer so they do not know what to do. Calls to Toyota do not provide any definitive corrective action other than what we have already done turning the lights off and then back on negates the immediate failure. Police have stopped my wife for the problem once.

- Smithfield, VA, USA

May 012009

Prius

My car's passenger side headlight bulb works intermittently. Some times when it is turned on, it works, other times it does not.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Apr 012009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius hid headlights will go out intermittently. Started roughly 6 months ago. Went to dealer several times. Lights would work when they turned them on and said there wasn't a problem. A night when you are driving they will just go off. Turning switch off and back on then the lights will work for a while. Now our dealership is closed. Closest dealer is over an hour away. That dealer states that they have never heard of this problem. They quoted me a cost of $90 per hour to diagnose the problem which the said could take most of a day. If I want them to replace the bulbs it would be almost $1000 with no guarantee that is the problem. I have seen many complaints on the internet about this.

- East Gull Lake, MN, USA

Aug 102009

Prius

Driving at night and my passenger side headlight works intermittently. Works for 10 minutes and then fails. Hid type headlight on 2007 Toyota Prius.. only problem on passenger side headlight.

- Austin, TX, USA

Prius

The headlights on my 2007 Toyota Prius go out randomly. I have spent over $1500 to have the problem fixed and now less than a year later the problem is occurring again on a daily basis. I have been ticketed by local police and placed in danger of crashing on several occasions when they both decide to go out.

- Murray, KY, USA

Aug 012009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius--front right headlight keeps going off. Will come back on when I switch off the headlights altogether. Bulb seems ok because it works most of the time both hi and lo beam. I contacted my Toyota dealer and will have to pay $280 to replace one bulb! I have purchased a pair of specified bulbs for $59 from autozone, but have not been successful following the steps in the manual to remove the old bulb. Car has 45,000 miles.

- Waltham, MA, USA

Aug 112009

Prius

Hid headlights on 2007 Toyota Prius, go out. 1st happened fall, 2008, both bulbs replaced by dealer, under warranty (@appr. 30,000 mi), Jan. 2009. New bulbs only lasted 10,000 miles, 8 months, and needed to be replaced again (warranty). Dealer says new, replacement bulbs, have a 1 year warranty. One bulb had been out, but came back on, other was very dim. Dealer only wanted to replace the dim bulb, but after I had a very heated "discussion" they agreed to replace both of them. This is very definitely a safety issue, and should be treated as such by the ODI!!!!!!!! I have previously filed a complaint with ODI:confirmation #10255785, for the previous (same) problem.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Prius

Left headlight failure 2007 Prius. We are not getting satisfaction from Toyota. The dealer tells us it will cost $220 dollars per light. He said it used to be $350 per light. Our headlight went out on a wet and gloomy night trip from new ulm mn to minneapolis.

- Coon Rapids, MN, USA

Prius

I was driving down the road at night in my 2007 Toyota Prius and both headlights went out. Every time I drive at night one of the lights will go out. This is a routine thing with the car. I took the car to the dealer and they said they know about the problem but it is not a safety issue. Toyota said it would cost me over $800.

- Summerville, GA, USA

Jul 152009

Prius

Both 07 Prius headlights intermittently go off. Took to dealer and was diagnosed as headlight bulbs were going out. For lifetime bulbs to last just 2 years isn't near a lifetime bulb. Dealer states the cost per bulb was $175. This issue has been happening the last 2 months.

- Yulee, FL, USA

Aug 292009

Prius

Head light on /off problem with 2007 Prius 63000 miles. Intermittently goes off.... turn switch on/off /off and light works again. Not related to bumps, just happens. Safety issue...loose half of night vision.

- Rushville, NY, USA

Sep 182009

Prius

I have had both hid headlights on my 2007 Toyota Prius replace with the computers for a total cost of $600. I already have the second bulb in the passenger going bad and they want another $300 for bulb and labor. This is a car that isn't even three years old yet.

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA

Sep 172009

Prius

31,000 miles on 2007 Toyota Prius. Headlamps would come on and off. It alternated between lamps. Bulbs were both replaced.

- York, PA, USA

Sep 152009

Prius

Headlamps 2007 Prius began to "wink" intermittently. I reported it to service department nothing was done. (date ?? 2008) a policeman on military base cautioned me that a headlamp was out. I reported it to service. They said they saw nothing wrong with the lamps. Third time service (June 2009) I was charged for replacement of a running light bulb. Following that encounter, I experience a total loss of head lamp illumination in interstate 65 traffic in the dark (July 27, 09). I quickly slowed and flicked the light switch on and off and light was restored. The lights continued to "wink" and again on 9-14-09 lost total headlamp illumination in traffic on ky natcher parkway, again flicking the switch restored lights. Took it to service 9-15-09 they asked for $440 to replace both lamps saying it "might" fix it and if not, I would need to spend an additional $335 for a switch box or computer component but they could not assure me that these expensive measures would actually correct the problem. I declined and reported the incident to a service department online questionnaire. I was contacted via E-mail by Toyota service representative and was told and I quote "we have replaced a few of these bulbs with success 85-90% of the time. On occasion we have replaced a control unit for headlights". when the problem was first observed and reported the car was under warranty. Warranty has since expired, my assertion is that the condition then and now are related and should be fixed as if warranty was in force. That was not acceptable to Toyota service and the issue lies unresolved.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Sep 062009

Prius

My 2007 Toyota Prius driver-side headlamp randomly turns itself off only to miraculously heal itself after being turned off. Well, some times this works but it is all quite random. Has made for dangerous driving conditions at dark and during rain.

- Cape Girardeau, MO, USA

Aug 312009

Prius

Intermittent failure of high or low beam, left or right headlight on Toyota Prius 2007 model. I have been unable, at times, to get the lights to re-start. I've been stuck with highway driving with no lights at night! sooner or later, this will kill someone. There are thousands of similar complaints on the net; this needs a safety recall!

- Calgary, 00, USA