2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 35 of 46)

Jun 012009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius driver's side headlight goes off without warning although bulb is not "burned out" light relights after turning headlights off then on again. This is a safety issue. Based on other complaints it is not as simple as just replacing a bulb. Therefore the problem may persist for days and longer especially at the prices quoted by dealers to "maybe fix the problem" you better take action and force the recall.

- Horseheads, NY, USA

Jun 152009

Prius

Toyota Prius 2007, 34000 miles: Intermittent headlight failure. Hid type headlights. The driver's side headlight goes out intermittently, and can be turned back on by turning lights all the way off and on again. It happens often. The brights on that side also go out. I will contact my dealer and Toyota tomorrow for a repair. Seems to be a common problem amongst Prius owners with this type of headlights, as noted with a internet search.

- Richfield, MN, USA

Jul 012009

Prius

I had no warning leading up to the failure with my headlights. The failure involves both headlights going off while driving. This failure started in July 2009 and continues whenever the headlights are on. The result is total darkness at night while driving creating a serious safety issue. The first time it occurred was on an unlit road with many curves nearly causing me to go off the road. I was able to stop without crashing and turned the headlight switch off and then on again; the headlights came back on, I continued driving and after a few seconds it happened again. In has now become a process of turning the headlights off and on constantly while driving at night. We drive the car as little as possible after dark. I have contacted the Toyota dealership where the car was purchased and was told the headlight bulbs needed to be replaced and the cost per light bulb was over $350 each plus labor which is also very expensive due to the need to remove the front bumper in order to change the bulbs. I am looking at least $1000 just to replace two light bulbs!!!! I was given no other options and the technician told me I would still have to replace these every one or two years. I searched online for others having this same problem and found that it is a very common issue and many people are having this same problem. I called the dealer again to ask about replacing the high intensity lights with the conventional headlights used on models without high intensity headlights. Although the conventional lights are available for the Prius they will not interchange with the high intensity bulbs without major wiring harness changes. I was also told that even the Prius with the conventional bulbs needed front bumper removal to change.

- Camano Island, WA, USA

Aug 272009

Prius

I have bought a 2007 Toyota Prius that has had headlight work done on it (bulbs replaced) but the problems have continued with my ownership. They work, then one goes out and you have to turn them on/off before they work again. I have made an appointment with Toyota, but don't believe they cover headlamp problems.

- Troy, NY, USA

Jul 032009

Prius

Headlights on my 2007 Toyota Prius go on and off randomly. Both went off at same time almost causing me to wreck. Started at 40K miles. Out of warranty and dealer wants to replace bulbs for $568. This is a rip off and a safety issue.

- Apex, NC, USA

Aug 152009

Prius

We have a 2007 Prius that we love. However, both headlights turn off unpredictably, and the passenger side headlight is often off, again unpredictably. One of the rear passenger side taillights, not the brakelight, also turns off from time to time.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Aug 012009

Prius

The headlights on my 2007 Toyota Prius keep turning off @ random times. At first it only seemed to be one headlamp, but now both of them turn off when I am driving. I can only get them to come on by turning the headlamp switch off and back on. At this point I am forced to drive with my fog lamps on all the time at night because of safety.

- Ft Collins, CO, USA

Aug 252009

Prius

The driver's-side headlight turns off randomly. Turning the lights completely off and then back on will make the headlight come back on. It stays on from 1 to about 10 minutes, then goes out again.

- Post Mills, VT, USA

Aug 222009

Prius

The hid front headlights in my Toyota 2007 pruis are intermittently turning on and off. The car is only 1.5 years old.

- Orlando, FM, USA

Aug 102009

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius. One of the headlights went out and I had the bulb replaced a couple of weeks ago. A few days later the other headlight quit, but when I arrived at the repair shop, the bulb was working so it was not replaced. A couple of days later, at night, both headlights began flickering and then both went out at the same time. I took the car to steve low Toyota dealership in la crosse, wi and they replaced both bulbs. They told me it could happen again and I am terrified that it would happen at night.

- Houston, MN, USA

Jul 032009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius - head lights shuts off while driving.

- Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, USA

Jul 062009

Prius

The headlight on my 2007 Toyota Prius, flickered and quit functioning. The car has 27,000 miles and the repair is around $500. Is a recall in process?

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Aug 162009

Prius

The passenger side headlight goes off intermittently. Just had it replaced for $300 on Monday and on Tuesday got stopped on the highway for the headlight being out.

- Labelle, FL, USA

Aug 152009

Prius

The hid, high intensity discharge headlights go off intermittently without notice, usually right headlight, sometimes left, sometimes both. Started with right headlight at approx 18 months after purchase of new vehicle at approx 45000 miles. This week both headlights have gone off while driving at night without notice. Extremely dangerous. Last month the local Toyota dealer, who knows of this issue, wanted $800 to repair/replace right headlight. Now that both are bad, much more money to repair. This is unacceptable, considering the premium cost of this optional item, the short life span, and especially the extreme danger of a possible fatal accident. If this were brakes, fire, or seatbelts, there would have already been a recall under warranty. There are hundreds of documented complaints and Toyota and the NHTSA have not yet acted! are we waiting to start counted accidents or fatalities? please get Toyota Corp. To issue recall under warranty.

- Hanson, MA, USA

Jul 012009

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius. At some time in July of 2009, after about 34,00 miles, the driver side hid headlamp began to intermittently dim or fail, but when the headlamp switch was turned off and then on again it would temporarily resolve. This type of failure - either dimming or going dark - would then happen again sometime in the next 30 minutes to 24 hours. I find this dangerous since one never knows when one is driving with one headlamp out unless one keeps checking. I have taken it to the dealership today but do not yet know whether it is under warranty or not. In any event, based on other complaints I have seen in the NHTSA database, I believe this may be a generic problem with the hid headlamps or other electrical parts in Prius of the 2006 and 2007 years, so I thought I should report my experience. If this problem persists or re-appears after putative repair, I will file another complaint or will amend this complaint (not sure whether I can do the latter).

- Media, PA, USA

Aug 092009

Prius

I recently bought a 2007 Toyota Prius. Over the course of driving at night I have noticed that the passenger side headlight will go out. When I first turn on the lights, both headlights come on; but after a few minutes the passenger side one will dim and go out. The documentation that came with the car indicated no accidents, no car trouble, and no major repair.

- Niles, IL, USA

Aug 142009

Prius

The two headlights are turned off by itself while driving at night. It will turn on when driver switches off and then on again. But it will turn off by itself after couple minutes, say 5 minutes. The problem remains for the rest of the ride. For the safety reason and to prevent being stopped by police, this condition forces the driver to switch the headlights on/off so often while driving to make sure his car has lights on. As recommended by Toyota dealer, I had the headlights replaced. It cost $550. I still keep the old headlights.

- Cerritos, CA, USA

Aug 142009

Prius

While driving my headlight went out randomly. When turning the headlight switch completely off and then back on the headlight was working again.

- Beaver Dam, WI, USA

Aug 102009

2007 Toyota Prius.

- Mullica Hill, NJ, USA

Aug 162009

Prius

We own a 2007 Toyota Prius and the headlights are shutting off intermittently without warning. Sometimes they shutoff one at a time and a couple of times (including within the last hour) they have both shutoff at the same time. Luckily they have only shutoff at the same time when there has been other lighting available in the environment but if this should happen on a dark road the consequences could be very serious.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA