2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 36 of 46)

Jul 282009

Prius

In early 2008 during normal driving at night both hid headlights on my 2007 Toyota Prius went out at the same time. I reached for the stalk and rotated it both ways, and they came back on. I figured I did not turn it fully on, but some weeks later both lights failed again while driving at night. The dealer replaced both bulbs, but nothing else. The car had about 21,000 miles on it. Now, August 2009 the passenger side bulb has failed twice at night that I have noticed. Both times it came back on after being turned off and back on, as both times before. Current mileage 52,433. I worry that both sides will fail at the same time again while driving at night. This is not at all safe.

- Sonoma, CA, USA

Aug 032009

Prius

Headlamps go off intermittently.

- Watertown, MA, USA

Aug 032009

Prius

My hid bulbs are turning off and on intermittently, I would like to replace but will cost about 900 for Toyota to do it. Seems like a defect and a danger if they keep turning off and on there own.

- Berkeley, CA, USA

Jun 152009

Prius

Subj: 2007 Toyota Prius headlights. Body: After speaking with Toyota Corp. They have informed me that I will have to take my car to a Toyota dealer and have the headlights replaced. These lights are defective and Toyota is charging between $750 to $1000 dollars to replace light bulbs. This is a widespread safety concern from the forums I've been to. My first experience was driving down a dark road and the lights suddenly went out. I was scared but was able to make them come back on by turning them off and on again. This must be the scam of the century because they are only guaranteed for 36,000 miles. I'll end up spending almost $1000 dollars annually for light bulbs" these bulbs aren't do it yourself either. You have to take the bumper off to get to them and the bulbs can cost $700 dollars a pair before labor. I also paid extra to have this car certified for the 10yr bumper to bumper but doesn't cover bulbs they claim. I don't even know for sure if it's bulbs so this could be even more costly. If so many people are having their lights go out while they are driving why is this not a recall yet" very scary. Just go to some online forums and you will see there is a serious problem with Toyota's hid's for Prius and they will not admit to it. I have small children and don't feel safe driving this vehicle anymore. This car is going to get somebody killed one day and nothing is going to happen until that day comes. Very very sad.

- Cantonment, FL, USA

Aug 012009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius hid headlights randomly go black. As I'm driving either one or both of the headlights go black. The only way to fix this is to manually switch the lights off then turn them back on. I've taken this to my Toyota dealership (sloane Toyota) and they couldn't find any problems.

- Jamison, PA, USA

Jul 252009

Prius

1. unable to determine any event or cause of headlight failure 2. either one of both of the headlights will go out intermittently, sometimes frequently and sometimes not. It is not possible to tell during daylight driving when they go out. Both have gone out at the same time while driving at night. Turning the switch off and back on will cause the lights to come back on. Two Toyota dealers have told me that they aren't sure what the problem is, but they want me to pay to have both headlights replaced at around $500 before they will try anything that is covered under warranty.

- Madisonville, TX, USA

Jul 302009

Prius

Driver's hid headlamp intermittently goes off without notice. Turning the headlight switch to the "off" position and the "on" sometimes solves the problem temporarily. Many other complaints from other owners describing the same failure.

- Pleasanton, CA, USA

May 012009

Prius

Vehicle: Prius 2007. Mileage: 33,285 problem: Unpredictable intermittent and spontaneous turning off of left front headlight due to overheating of the transformer control located directly under the headlight. From the internet discussion groups re this problem I believe it is widespread, potentially a dangerous safety issue, and to my knowledge not recognized as such by Toyota. I feel this should be investigated.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Jul 182009

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius with 24,000 miles on the clock. My driver's side high intensity discharge headlamp has failed prematurely. My Toyota dealership has quoted me $193 for a replacement headlamp and over $350 to have them replace it. This is outrageous. I have also seen on various online bulletin boards that this is a consistent problem with Prius and that Toyota is not accepting responsibility for what is clearly a defect.

- Severna Park, MD, USA

Jul 152009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius - 33000 miles - driver side headlight keeps going out intermittently causing potentially dangerous night time driving conditions. If I turn the light switch on and off the light comes back on but goes off again a short time later.

- Pickerington, OH, USA

Jul 272009

Prius

While driving on interstate 405 in portland, or, the hid headlights on my 2007 Toyota Prius suddenly turned off. Switching them off and then on again caused the lamps to work again temporarily, with the left and the right lights turning off at random. Fortunately, I was in a well lit area of the interstate and no harm resulted from this incident.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Jun 122009

Prius

The head lights failed after a short period of driving at night. The incident recurs often and it impacts on our safety and the safety of other drivers.

- Naugatuck, CT, USA

Jun 152009

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius. The left headlamp repeatedly fails without warning. Recently, both headlamps blink and go out.

- Wadsworth, OH, USA

Jul 232009

Prius

I have a 2007 package 5 Toyota Prius and the headlights keep going in and out. This happens randomly while I'm driving and alternates headlights. Usually if I switch the lights off and turn it back they both come on. This was brought to my attention by a friend who noticed I had one headlight out. Otherwise I'll randomly notice it in the reflection of the car in front of me. Last night both headlights went out while I was driving on the interstate. This is very dangerous and we as drivers may not even notice. It puts me as well as other drivers at risk. I looked online at forums and it looks like this is a common issue for the Prius' and it costs $2000+ to repair. I think that Toyota should have to issue a recall for this before someone gets seriously injured. They sold a faulty product and should be responsible for resolving the issue.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jul 212009

Prius

Hid headlight goes out intermittently.

- Palm Springs, CA, USA

May 232009

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius with hid headlights. Recently the drivers headlight will go out for a short time (10-20 min) then come back on. It will do this intermittently.

- Fraziers Bottom, WV, USA

Jun 132009

Prius

Noticed the passenger headlight on my 2007 Toyota Prius was out. I turned the lights off and back on and they came on. Now it frequently goes off, but will come back on when I turn them off and on. We priced a new bulb, which is in excess of $150. But now we are concerned that will be a waste of money. If we replace the bulb and the problem is something else like wiring, etc...then what"!"

- Jackson, TN, USA

Jul 212009

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius. The last few weeks my headlights flicker and then turn off with no warning. Sometimes only 1 light goes out but usually they both do given the time. This is a huge safety hazard if you are on a curve road and then all of a sudden see nothing. Toyota dealer says my warranty gold plus 6 years 100K miles does not cover this.

- Villa Rica, GA, USA

Jul 152009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius, purchased new, now 46K miles, hid headlamp failure, stopped by police, hard to troubleshoot, oem part too expensive, looking for affordable replacement, unsafe / illegal to drive with one headlamp.

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Jul 012009

Prius

On my 2007 Toyota Prius, I am having intermittent front headlight (hid) failure. I have less than 30K miles on the car and have noticed that the front driver's side hid works and then doesn't work, then comes back on. I have not gone into the dealership yet, but I have read hundreds of forum postings at www.hybridcars.com/forums/replacing-headlight-bulb-T910.html that all have had the exact same problem with no resolution from Toyota. This is a safety hazard!!!

- San Francisco, CA, USA