2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 39 of 46)

Mar 012009

Prius

Hid headlights on 2007 Prius fail intermittently. Turning the lights off and then back on seems to refresh, temporarily.

- Bonny Doon, CA, USA

May 282009

Prius

My hid headlights flicker or turn themselves off as I am driving. If the headlamp is off all I have to do is turn them off then back on and they reset so that both are on again. Upon research this is a recurring problem with the Prius and it is frustrating because it occurs whenever the headlights are on and I had only owned the vehicle a short time when it began. I have been quoted this as being a $1200 repair.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

May 212008

Prius

1. driver's side headlight began to shut off without warning. 2. frequency of the headlight shut off gradually got worse over a 6 month period. Light would turn back on when lights were turned off and back on again. Now driver's side headlight will shut off on every trip, even after less than a mile. 3. went to the dealer in December, they could not replicate the problem and charged a diagnostic fee. Problem has gradually become worse, and dealer refuses to cover the problem as a warranty issue.

- Foster City, CA, USA

Jun 102008

Prius

Passenger side headlight will flicker, then go out. But if I turn off the headlights, and then turn them back on, all headlights will work for a short period, then the left one will go out again.

- Issaquah, WA, USA

May 282009

Prius

Passenger front head lamp intermittently goes from on to off to on...

- Lenexa, KS, USA

Jan 012008

Prius

Headlights on 2007 Prius go out unexpectedly. I have called Toyota and they will not acknowledge the issue.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Jan 012009

Prius

The left (driver) side headlamp fails intermittently.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Mar 222008

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius with hid headlights. The vehicle currently has 55K+ miles on it. Starting at approximately 30K+ miles the driver's side headlight started turning off at random times while driving. I first noticed this when pulling into my garage and seeing that only one headlight was shining on the garage wall. I made an appointment to have the bulb replaced, but the next time I operated the vehicle the headlight worked normally. I canceled my service appointment accordingly. Over the following 12 months, through to now, the driver's side headlight will occasionally turn off while driving. If I turn the headlights off and then back on, the driver's side headlight will start working again, although sometimes dimmer than normal. As the problem happens inconsistently and there is no particular event that I can do to cause the problem, I have been unable to recreate the failure for Toyota service.

- Raynham, MA, USA

May 182009

Prius

My 2007 Toyota Prius headlights go off intermittently while driving. I have had two hid bulbs replaced under warranty for the same situation, so this is the third bulb to fail. If lights are turned off and turned on the bulb will come back to life.

- Nevada City, CA, USA

May 122009

Prius

Passenger side hid headlamp showing intermittent flicker/failure after only 2.5 years and 30K miles. Turning lights off and back on temporarily resolved the issue. Two confirmed occurrences, possibly more unknown.

- Albany, OR, USA

Apr 272009

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius with hid headlights- the headlights intermittently go out. It can be very dangerous at night. It seems to be a common problem with these lights and cars.

- Mc Farland, WI, USA

Mar 242009

Prius

Driver's side headlight goes out while driving. I have been pulled over by police and given 2 verbal warnings. When I notice the light is out I turn the lights off then on and the light will illuminate again. I am now noticing that the headlight will "turn off" anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour after turning on. My passenger headlight was replaced while still under warranty (6 months ago @ approx 33,000 miles). I now wonder if both headlight were going out without my knowledge? (I have fog lights and drive in the city). I am now at 42,000 miles. (I drive approx 2,000/ month). So within a 6 month period both lights have to be replaced. Unfortunately, I am now out of the standard warranty and I will have to pay $400+ out of pocket to repair.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Oct 102008

Prius

Intermittent failure of hid headlight bulb. Lights at startup, but typically fails within 5 minutes. On and off again with no discernible pattern. More off than on as time goes on.

- Linthicum, MD, USA

May 072009

Prius

Passenger side headlight goes off intermittently. If I notice the headlight is out I can turn my lights off then back on and the headlight that was out will come back on. I noticed it for the first time a couple of days ago.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Apr 152009

Prius

Failure of Toyota Prius hid headlamps, problem is intermittant and leaves me "driving in the dark."

- El Dorado Hills, CA, USA

Apr 012009

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the headlights dim soon after they are activated. After driving for a while, the driver's side light would dim. Currently, both passenger and driver's side headlights fail. The vehicle has been taken to the dealer in an attempt to get repaired by the manufacturer. The current mileage was 44,000 and failure mileage was 42,000.

- Old Hickory, TN, USA

Apr 152009

Prius

On multiple occasions one or both of the headlights on my 2007 Toyota Prius have gone out without warning. The lights come back on when I turn the light control completely off and then turn it back on. The lights will then work for awhile before turning off again. There is no alarm or notice the headlights have gone off. I reported the problem to Toyota (800-331-4331) two weeks ago. When and if they return my calls, it's typically right before the person calls goes home for the day. On multiple occasions, I have called and there have been "communications errors" on the Toyota end. They tell me someone will call within 24-72 hours and we start all over again. In my opinion, they are avoiding me.

- Florence, SC, USA

May 012009

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius and the headlights intermittently turn off. I can turn the headlight switch off and back on and it usually corrects the problem. I took it to the Toyota dealership and they ordered new bulbs saying they were going out. The bulbs are hid bulbs and the dealership said hid bulbs go off intermittently just before they go out. This does not sound like it is reasonable. Also, I have researched this problem on many different sites and located hundreds of threads that describe the same problem. Most refer to the computer being the problem and having the bulbs replaced prior to the computer replaced does not correct the problem.

- Spring, TX, USA

Mar 152009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius hid headlight failure - I've only had the car for less than 2 years and under 40,000 miles, and both headlight have been shutting off intermittently. My headlights were turning off at a number of points while driving on dark roads, which resulted in considerably unsafe driving condition; luckily no one was ever hurt. The cost of replacing the bulb is astronomical - my dealership quoted me $300 for replacing one bulb.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Jun 012008

Prius

The driver side headlight has been replaced three times on a car less than two years old, and it is still not working all of the time.

- Colleyville, TX, USA