2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 39 of 46)

Jun 152009

Prius

Passenger side headlight not functioning. Turned headlights off and then back on again, the problem went away.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Jun 132009

Prius

Hid headlamps on 2007 Toyota Prius keep going out. Dealer replaced both bulbs in August 2008. Passenger side bulb went out in Jun 2009, less than a year later. Dealer will not fix the problem. Both instances were following a long trip of 1,000 miles each way. There is extensive activity online regarding this problem/defect with hid headlights, not exclusive to the Prius model. Given that replacement bulbs are $300 each at the dealership, the bulbs should last longer than 10 months at a time under any driving conditions.

- Rockwall, TX, USA

Jun 092007

Prius

07 Toyota Prius touring edition, passenger and drivers headlamps continue to go out while driving. Lights will illuminate after a power on and off but will extinguish after 3 secs.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

May 012009

Prius

The driver side headlight on my 2007 Toyota Prius continues to fail for no reason but works again if I turn off the lights and then turn them back on. This creates a serious safety concern when driving at night as I have to lose all my lights just to get the driver side light working again.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Feb 202009

Prius

The headlights on my 2007 Prius go out intermittently. Sometimes just one light, sometimes both lights. Cycling the light switch makes them work again but the problem has already caused me to be pulled over by law enforcement twice. In both cases the officer was surprised to see that the lights were working after he pulled me over and I demonstrated that by cycling the lights they would work. I've never seen a problem like this before. Cars usually make it 4 years or more before you have a headlight go out. They only cost a few bucks to replace typically too. I've been quoted some huge numbers.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jun 032009

Prius

Bought 2007 Toyota Prius new in 2007 and had approximately 25K miles on it when drivervside hid headlight began having intermittent failures. The headlight always turns on initially but will turn off sometime later with no warning. If I flick my lights all the way off and then immediately back on, all headlights turn back on, but may not stay on. Because there are 4 total lights (2 headlights and 2 lower road lights) having just one that occasionally turned off was not enough of an inconvenience to get it fixed. The other day I was driving and both headlights turned off leaving me with just the 2 lower road lights. I quickly flipped the lights completely off and back on and both turned back on, but it seems this is a safety issue. I am taking it to dealership for fixing tomorrow. Car now has 40K+ miles. Problem has been an issue for several months seeming to indicate the bulb is not the problem (otherwise it should have died completely by now...).

- Streetsboro, OH, USA

Mar 012009

Prius

Hid headlights on 2007 Prius fail intermittently. Turning the lights off and then back on seems to refresh, temporarily.

- Bonny Doon, CA, USA

May 282009

Prius

My hid headlights flicker or turn themselves off as I am driving. If the headlamp is off all I have to do is turn them off then back on and they reset so that both are on again. Upon research this is a recurring problem with the Prius and it is frustrating because it occurs whenever the headlights are on and I had only owned the vehicle a short time when it began. I have been quoted this as being a $1200 repair.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

May 212008

Prius

1. driver's side headlight began to shut off without warning. 2. frequency of the headlight shut off gradually got worse over a 6 month period. Light would turn back on when lights were turned off and back on again. Now driver's side headlight will shut off on every trip, even after less than a mile. 3. went to the dealer in December, they could not replicate the problem and charged a diagnostic fee. Problem has gradually become worse, and dealer refuses to cover the problem as a warranty issue.

- Foster City, CA, USA

Jun 102008

Prius

Passenger side headlight will flicker, then go out. But if I turn off the headlights, and then turn them back on, all headlights will work for a short period, then the left one will go out again.

- Issaquah, WA, USA

May 282009

Prius

Passenger front head lamp intermittently goes from on to off to on...

- Lenexa, KS, USA

Jan 012008

Prius

Headlights on 2007 Prius go out unexpectedly. I have called Toyota and they will not acknowledge the issue.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Jan 012009

Prius

The left (driver) side headlamp fails intermittently.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Mar 222008

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius with hid headlights. The vehicle currently has 55K+ miles on it. Starting at approximately 30K+ miles the driver's side headlight started turning off at random times while driving. I first noticed this when pulling into my garage and seeing that only one headlight was shining on the garage wall. I made an appointment to have the bulb replaced, but the next time I operated the vehicle the headlight worked normally. I canceled my service appointment accordingly. Over the following 12 months, through to now, the driver's side headlight will occasionally turn off while driving. If I turn the headlights off and then back on, the driver's side headlight will start working again, although sometimes dimmer than normal. As the problem happens inconsistently and there is no particular event that I can do to cause the problem, I have been unable to recreate the failure for Toyota service.

- Raynham, MA, USA

May 182009

Prius

My 2007 Toyota Prius headlights go off intermittently while driving. I have had two hid bulbs replaced under warranty for the same situation, so this is the third bulb to fail. If lights are turned off and turned on the bulb will come back to life.

- Nevada City, CA, USA

May 122009

Prius

Passenger side hid headlamp showing intermittent flicker/failure after only 2.5 years and 30K miles. Turning lights off and back on temporarily resolved the issue. Two confirmed occurrences, possibly more unknown.

- Albany, OR, USA

Apr 272009

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius with hid headlights- the headlights intermittently go out. It can be very dangerous at night. It seems to be a common problem with these lights and cars.

- Mc Farland, WI, USA

Mar 242009

Prius

Driver's side headlight goes out while driving. I have been pulled over by police and given 2 verbal warnings. When I notice the light is out I turn the lights off then on and the light will illuminate again. I am now noticing that the headlight will "turn off" anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour after turning on. My passenger headlight was replaced while still under warranty (6 months ago @ approx 33,000 miles). I now wonder if both headlight were going out without my knowledge? (I have fog lights and drive in the city). I am now at 42,000 miles. (I drive approx 2,000/ month). So within a 6 month period both lights have to be replaced. Unfortunately, I am now out of the standard warranty and I will have to pay $400+ out of pocket to repair.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Oct 102008

Prius

Intermittent failure of hid headlight bulb. Lights at startup, but typically fails within 5 minutes. On and off again with no discernible pattern. More off than on as time goes on.

- Linthicum, MD, USA

May 072009

Prius

Passenger side headlight goes off intermittently. If I notice the headlight is out I can turn my lights off then back on and the headlight that was out will come back on. I noticed it for the first time a couple of days ago.

- Leesburg, VA, USA