2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 4 of 46)

May 052015

Prius

Like so many others have reported, one of the hid headlights will suddenly stop working. Turning the lights off and then on again "fixes" the problem for that moment. But the problem can reoccur within a few minutes. I have experienced this problem most every time I have driven the vehicle at night since the initial incident. Given all the other complaints, and the 2011 class action lawsuit on this issue which Toyota settled without admitting guilt, this is a safety issue well-known to Toyota. Evidence shows the problem is not the light bulbs but the electronic control unit (ECU) or other electrical issue. I have enquired to Toyota customer service. They acknowledge the class action lawsuit and say my vehicle qualifies under the lawsuit, but they will not take responsibility for fixing the problem. The best they offer is for me to pay to get new light bulbs and then submit my receipts to them for possible reimbursement. Given the many comments by others that the problem continued even with new bulbs, this "resolution" by Toyota seems hardly adequate. NHTSA must and should take action and demand Toyota properly repair/resolve this issue. I bought this used vehicle in October 2014 at a Toyota dealership in the phoenix area.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Mar 102014

Prius 4-cyl

Date and mileage are approximate. While driving at night my headlights went out completely. Since then, they continually go out randomly. Sometimes it will begin with one or the other going out and then both. At this point, I am able to turn them off and on again and they come back on for awhile....I am quite concerned about this as sudden darkness while driving at night is a serious safety hazard. Does an accident and/or death need to happen before action is taken?... I am also quite confused that there has not been a recall as this problem seems to be quite common.......updated 08/20/15 updated 12/10/15

- California, MD, USA

Mar 282015

Prius

I was driving down the interstate when all of the sudden my headlights went completely out thank god I was able to pull over and get them working again this happened in March for the first time and has now happened 7 times since this is very dangerous and I think this needs some attn.. thanks bill

- Memphis, MO, USA

Apr 092014

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While driving at approximately 50 mph, the instrument panel, the headlights, and the tail lights failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the headlights were replaced but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 75,642.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Apr 102015

Prius

I bought a used and regularly serviced 2007 Toyota Prius in September 2014 with 69,000 miles. This week of April 5th, the airbag symbol showed up on the dash along with the headlights not working properly. When I took the vehicle in to the local Toyota dealership, I was told that the steering wheel spiral coil was broken and ;that my airbag system was disabled. This happened at 85,000 miles. It cost me almost $500 to have this coil replaced. The service manager said this was simply due to normal wear and tear. I also have outside hatch rubber opener that is gooie and sticky and the hatchback door often will not open.

- Atascadero, CA, USA

Mar 222015

Prius 4-cyl

Passenger side hid head light will intermittently go out. But, the light will work properly again if it's turned off/on again.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Dec 062013

Prius 4-cyl

Starting in 2014 our Prius headlights usually one side or the other side would sporadically go off. And most dangerous they both go off. This is especially dangerous when driving at night at high speeds. I've had both lights checked on and they are working no bulb issue. My mechanic said this is an issue with this year and model car.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Sep 102014

Prius 4-cyl

The headlights have started working intermittently. First one at a time and now both. If they go out, turning the switch off and then on again will make them come back on. The repair cost for the headlights to be replaced is $350 + it is extremely dangerous to have headlights that do not work reliably. The fact that the repair cost is so extreme will lead to many of these cars to not be fixed. Toyota should take responsibility for the defective lights and issue a recall.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Apr 062014

Prius

For the last year or so, I've had trouble with the headlights on my Prius. I first noticed it last spring - I was driving back home along the highway and suddenly noticed my headlights were out. I flipped them off and then tried to turn them back on again and they came back on. Over the next several months it happened again - but it was hard to notice because I did not do much driving at night and when I did, it was in well-lit areas. When I moved for a new job, I noticed this happening more frequently - though I suspect I'm just more aware of the problem because I'm doing more nighttime driving and in more rural areas. The disturbing part is that now both headlights will go out - particularly after making a left-hand turn. Again, by flipping off the lights and then turning them back on, the lights will then work. But on a least a few occasions, they will go out again within a few minutes. Now, I'm noticing that one headlight will often go out - though not the same side. I've had mechanics look at it who are unable to do anything other than replace the bulb; but they don't believe that the bulb is the issue. My preliminary research online has shown me that my model Prius has a history of headlight issues that sound identical to mine. Any assistance would be appreciated - I am a teacher in a rural area with limited funds who cannot avoid driving at night.

- Roosevelt, UT, USA

Nov 072014

Prius 4-cyl

Headlights go out intermittently, random malfunction. Will come back on if you turn the headlights off and back on. They work normally some of the time and then will shut off as you are driving.

- Chico, CA, USA

Jan 152015

Prius 4-cyl

My 2007 Prius has the hid (high intensity) headlights. Sometimes both headlights go out at the same time and sometimes just the passenger side headlight goes out. I originally thought that the problem was the bulbs so I replaced both bulbs just a few weeks ago with new bulbs, but the problem is still occurring. Sometimes when I turn the light switch off and then on again the headlights come on again. It seems to be a random occurrence but it is happening more and more frequently. This is a very dangerous situation especially when driving at night.

- Monsey, NY, USA

Jan 202015

Prius 4-cyl

My headlights randomly quit working, sometimes the left, sometimes the right, sometimes both. I can restart the headlights by turning the switch off and back on. This has been going on for 3 or 4 years. The dealer can't reproduce the problem (they always work there), and there is no suggested fix.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jan 142011

Prius 4-cyl

While driving the left headlight went out I turned off the lights and back on, the headlight came back on. Since this first incident the right headlight done the same while driving. Both headlights have turned off at the same time while driving. It seems like this is a wide spread issue with this year of Prius. The dealership will currently only replace the bulbs at a cost to me of $1250. The bulbs don't seem to be the problem, considering they work most of the time. If you can turn the lights off and back on again and the light(s) return to working state, its seems to be an electrical controller board problem.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jan 172015

Prius 4-cyl

On my way home from work, my drivers side headlight went completely out. The area I work in is extremely foggy and adequate head and fog lights are required. Driving without my headlights is extremely dangerous. Toyota needs to take responsibility and replace the faulty electronics in the headlights of the second generation Prius.

- Pittsburg, CA, USA

Jan 052015

Prius 4-cyl

The hid headlights intermittently flicker on and off, sometimes staying off for the majority of a drive. At times, both fail. I see there was a successful Toyota Prius hid headlight class action settlement that covers owners of Prius made 2006-2009 with an extended warranty. But I just purchased this vehicle a month ago and was not informed by the dealership of the problem and am beyond the 50,000 miles or 5 year period of the extended warranty. Is there any way I can still have Toyota fix this in my vehicle?

- Cold Spring, NY, USA

Jan 112015

Prius 4-cyl

I just purchased this car less than a month ago used from a Toyota dealership. While entering a freeway onramp, my drivers side headlight went out completely. I had to pull over and turn the lights off and back on then the light functioned properly for the rest of my drive.

- Pittsburg, CA, USA

Oct 012014

Prius

The high intensity headlights (hid) bulbs (right and left) are keep going out. I replaced 4 times and keeps happening. I researched online and found out that this is a common issue on Toyota Prius model 2004-2007. Many people have shared about this specific problem.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Dec 312012

Prius

My headlights keep going out. Both headlights will go out at once. I've replaced the bulbs which did not change anything. I also contacted Toyota multiple times, all incidents ending up in them telling me they would do nothing about the issue, it's not a recall and will not be a recall and it's my responsibility to take care of. Even after I pointed out the multiple articles I read of Toyota reimbursing and extending the warranties for this issue. Along with the class action lawsuit. I've long extended the warranty because I bought the car used. It had over 30,000 miles on it when I bought it. The Toyota dealership is even less of a help! going down a dark highway at 65 mph and both headlights going out is insane. Not to mention being pulled over multiple times for the headlight(s) being out. This is one of the worst safety hazards a car can have and should recalled and every Prius owner should have this issue taken care of!

- Freemansburg, PA, USA

Jul 312014

Prius

2007 tooyota Prius. Occasionally at night, the headlights go out without warning. The incident happened three times.

- Highland Park, NJ, USA

Jul 262014

Prius 4-cyl

My family was almost killed when both headlights went out at the same time on a dark mountain road. This should be a recalled item. People will die when both lights go out and they are not as lucky as we were. I paid over $600 to have both of these lights replaced. I am shocked that this item has not been issued as a recall item.

- Hidden Valley Lake, CA, USA