2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 40 of 46)

Apr 152009

Prius

On multiple occasions one or both of the headlights on my 2007 Toyota Prius have gone out without warning. The lights come back on when I turn the light control completely off and then turn it back on. The lights will then work for awhile before turning off again. There is no alarm or notice the headlights have gone off. I reported the problem to Toyota (800-331-4331) two weeks ago. When and if they return my calls, it's typically right before the person calls goes home for the day. On multiple occasions, I have called and there have been "communications errors" on the Toyota end. They tell me someone will call within 24-72 hours and we start all over again. In my opinion, they are avoiding me.

- Florence, SC, USA

May 012009

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius and the headlights intermittently turn off. I can turn the headlight switch off and back on and it usually corrects the problem. I took it to the Toyota dealership and they ordered new bulbs saying they were going out. The bulbs are hid bulbs and the dealership said hid bulbs go off intermittently just before they go out. This does not sound like it is reasonable. Also, I have researched this problem on many different sites and located hundreds of threads that describe the same problem. Most refer to the computer being the problem and having the bulbs replaced prior to the computer replaced does not correct the problem.

- Spring, TX, USA

Mar 152009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius hid headlight failure - I've only had the car for less than 2 years and under 40,000 miles, and both headlight have been shutting off intermittently. My headlights were turning off at a number of points while driving on dark roads, which resulted in considerably unsafe driving condition; luckily no one was ever hurt. The cost of replacing the bulb is astronomical - my dealership quoted me $300 for replacing one bulb.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Jun 012008

Prius

The driver side headlight has been replaced three times on a car less than two years old, and it is still not working all of the time.

- Colleyville, TX, USA

Apr 132008

Prius

No real events leading up to this failure, but all of a sudden the front passenger hid headlamp on my 2007 Prius (67,000 miles or so) has started flickering and now not functioning at all. I understand these failures are not supposed to occur, especially this soon, and the replacement cost is exorbitant.

- Hales Corners, WI, USA

Nov 012008

Prius

Left headlight is intermittently failing. Night driving safety is impaired by this. Currently, 1 bulb is intermittent, but if both fail... this is a huge problem. Happens most times the car is used, but not for sure. When it fails, I can usually fix it by turning the car off, and back on again. Local dealer swapped the left and right bulbs, now problem is on the right. This indicates that the bulb is the problem, not the 'ballast' / computer. Background: Hid headlamps require high voltage to start, and medium voltage to operate. A computer or ballast does this voltage control. Prius with hid have a huge number of failures in this area. Toyota is stonewalling, and won't fix unless you've been a loyal customer of some dealership. This is a safety issue, and, in my mind, should have nothing to do with loyalty, or change in residence, or anything. I bought the car used [ w/37K miles on it, in May 08 ], and an extended warranty [ Toyota 'extended care' ]. I've since moved to Canada, although I do drive this in the us.

- Incline Village, NV, USA

Feb 142009

Prius

Headlight driver's side has same problem as passenger side headlight had (November 2008) which is it winks out on occasion. Headlight will turn back on when the headlight switch is turned off and back on again but will go out again. No rhyme or reason as to when it happens. Started to occur at 45,000 miles.

- Huntingtown, MD, USA

Apr 122009

Prius

The passenger side headlight turns off intermittently at night. Comes on and goes off randomly, even when on a flat surface or sitting still. Recently I was driving on a dark, winding road and it went out presenting an extremely dangerous condition. According to the discussion boards, this is a very common indication and very expensive remediation item which will prevent many from fixing during out current economic crisis. I am very worried about my wife driving at night in this car don't want my children in it at night. This is a very serious issue in that the driver could hit something resulting in injury to the occupants, or another car could become confused by the headlight failure resulting in an incident. Again, the message boards are loaded with discussion on this item.

- Newtown Square, PA, USA

Apr 092009

Prius

Headlights on 2007 Toyota Prius go out and then come back on when the engine is turned off and then back on. Several months ago this happened with the passenger side vehicle and a Toyota dealership repaired this at no cost. Now it is happening with the driver side headlight and a Toyota dealership will not fix this because the warranty is up. The warranty was up on the first headlight but issue was fixed at no charge. This is a safety issue and this is a common complaint.

- Montross, VA, USA

Jan 092009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius with 44,000 miles. Left headlight goes out intermittently. Works again if I turn headlights off and then back on again. Sometimes happens very frequently other times less frequently. When I turn headlights on, the left or drivers side headlight flickers. Toyota dealer confirms there is a problem with my hid headlights they say it is my problem to work out with Toyota corporate.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Mar 252009

Prius

Headlights shut off randomly after driving about 15 to 30 minutes. Sometimes it's the right sometimes the left sometimes both. I took the car to the dealer to have it repaired. The bulbs were $186 each, the computer sensors were $360 each. I read on line that this is a recurring problem in Prius and some siennas and that it can happen again!

- Churchville, MD, USA

Apr 302008

Prius

Driver side hid headlight would intermittently turn off & if manually turned off & on again sometimes would turn on again. I didn't realize the car had this problem for some time but when I did, I brought to dealer on 4/30/08 & they could not duplicate concern. Brought back to dealer on 5/7/08 & they kept guessing (they claim ballast$269, bulb$323.95 & labor$85) as to what the problem was. On 5/9/08, I brought to an outside mechanic who changed hid module for $$200 + $250 labor. Now on 3/02/09 I hardly realized light was out intermittently again. Brought to another mechanic on 4/2/09 changed light bulb for $166.95 + $48.74 labor after having to custom fabricate light because bulb ordered according to VIN# from dealer had a different connection. I have a dangerous condition that I'm not sure has been corrected yet after incurring big expenses. I almost got a ticket by a police officer for the light being out.

- Kent, NY, USA

Apr 022009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius headlights continually burnout within 3 months. After reading many-many consumer complaints concerning the headlights continually burning out, I can now add myself to this list. My 2nd light bulb on the same passenger side has burned out. Toyota is obviously having these bulbs made from an inferior supplier! please read all the consumer complaints on the Prius on NHTSA website along with Prius chat websites. 1000's of complaints on these headlights! I want new headlights installed at no cost from Toyota or full reimbursement for the 2 I've already put in the past 3 months!

- Jamison, PA, USA

Mar 312009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius headlights failure. Lights flicker on and off during driving. Sometimes go off and stay off, sometimes don't go off for days. I was on the interstate a few nights ago and both lights went out. I slowed down and pulled over and at the same time turned the light switch off and on again and the lights came back on. The lights on the vehicles behind me gave me enough light to pull off the road, but what if there was not a vehicle behind me" the local Toyota dealership states bulbs are blown and quote me a price of $525 and they tell me that blown headlights are not covered under extended warranty. My complaint is that if the headlights were blown, why do they work sometimes. And what if someone's lights fail and they can't see how to get off the highway in time to prevent an accident"

- Wade, NC, USA

Mar 292009

Prius

Driving at night, my headlight( driver side),will sometimes go out. If I turn the lights off and then back on the headlight will come back on.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Mar 022009

Prius

Hid headlights on 2007 Prius have failed intermittently. The problem is corrected when I turn off the headlights and turn them back on. This happens on a random basis and is continuing.

- Riverhead, NY, USA

Jan 012009

Prius

Headlights randomly go on and off. Car mileage is now 18,000. Dealer wants over $400 per headlight!

- Wading River, NY, USA

Jan 082009

Prius

Hid headlights flicker off while driving my vehicle. The lights will turn back on, if I turn the lights off and back on. At first sign of problem vehicle only had 36,000 miles on it, second sign og problem vehicle had 46,000 miles. I have been pulled over by the police.

- Kent , OH, USA

Mar 102008

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the high intensity (hid) headlights would become inoperable intermittently. The dealer stated that there was a wire defect that caused the shortage in the headlights. The front driver's side headlight was replaced for $400 at the contact's expense. Less than six months later, the passenger side headlight was replaced. In addition, the entire lighting assembly was replaced for $350 at the contact's expense. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 30,000 and current mileage was less than 48,000. Updated 04-17-09 updated 04/21/09.

- Penbroke, NH, USA

Sep 012008

Prius

The front headlights on my 2007 Prius intermittently go out while driving. The problem occurs with both the driver and passenger side headlights. Once the headlights are turned off and back on, the headlights resume working. The issue has occurred for approximately 6 months, beginning around septmber, 2008. The vehicle has almost 44,000 miles, the issue began at approximately 37,000 miles. Toyota dealerships and the corporate case manager have refused to cover the estimated $400 repair under the extended warranty. I have been told I must replicate the problem at the dealership in order to receive an after warranty review for "assistance" with the repair. As the issue is random and intermittent, this will require me to drive to the dealership with one or both headlights out, which creates an unacceptable safety risk. Toyota claims that this is the customer's responsibility to pay for the repair. I maintain that the vehicle is too new and low in mileage to experience headlight issues. This is a defective headlight problem and Toyota refuses to take responsibility for the safety issue.

- Portland, OR, USA