2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 41 of 46)

Mar 102008

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the high intensity (hid) headlights would become inoperable intermittently. The dealer stated that there was a wire defect that caused the shortage in the headlights. The front driver's side headlight was replaced for $400 at the contact's expense. Less than six months later, the passenger side headlight was replaced. In addition, the entire lighting assembly was replaced for $350 at the contact's expense. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 30,000 and current mileage was less than 48,000. Updated 04-17-09 updated 04/21/09.

- Penbroke, NH, USA

Sep 012008

Prius

The front headlights on my 2007 Prius intermittently go out while driving. The problem occurs with both the driver and passenger side headlights. Once the headlights are turned off and back on, the headlights resume working. The issue has occurred for approximately 6 months, beginning around septmber, 2008. The vehicle has almost 44,000 miles, the issue began at approximately 37,000 miles. Toyota dealerships and the corporate case manager have refused to cover the estimated $400 repair under the extended warranty. I have been told I must replicate the problem at the dealership in order to receive an after warranty review for "assistance" with the repair. As the issue is random and intermittent, this will require me to drive to the dealership with one or both headlights out, which creates an unacceptable safety risk. Toyota claims that this is the customer's responsibility to pay for the repair. I maintain that the vehicle is too new and low in mileage to experience headlight issues. This is a defective headlight problem and Toyota refuses to take responsibility for the safety issue.

- Portland, OR, USA

Mar 122009

Prius

The front headlights of the 2007 Prius (and from research every model year of the Prius) turn off while driving. Flicking the on/off switch makes them turn back on, but then they turn off again. This is a chronic problem not solved by bulb replacement, headlight unit replacement or fuse replacement. It is a huge safety hazard because it may leave you driving without lights at night and the units should be recalled.

- Michigan City, IN, USA

Nov 012008

Prius

The headlights and taillights on my 2007 Toyota Prius shut off without warning. Sometimes the issue can be corrected by turning the lights off and on again, but not always. While I was recently driving on a two-lane highway with no streetlights, my Prius' headlights/taillights shut off without warning leaving me in the dark with no way to see. I was able to pull off the road, but I consider this a serious safety issue. When I contacted the dealer, they said they would not cover the cost of any repair since headlights are not covered under warranty and my car is no longer under warranty. The service quote was $1,800 which I plan on paying to correct the serious safety issue. Toyota is aware of the issue per their technical service bulletin: T-sb-0030-08 "hid headlight system - diagnostic tips".

- Chino, CA, USA

Mar 102009

Prius

The headlight on mine Toyota Prius is intermittent.

- North Royalton, OH, USA

Mar 062009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius with hid headlights intermittently failing. First one side then the other and then both on a frequent basis. There have been no accidents in my case but there has been one near miss as I was driving down a country road early in the morning when they both suddenly went out. This issue has been discussed for longer then a year on several on-line forums/ boards and yet Toyota has yet to respond. I am a disabled veteran and can't afford the $2000 Toyota is wanting to replace faulty equipment that is less then 3 years old and has a common failure rate.

- Spring Branch, TX, USA

Feb 092009

Prius

Headlights have failed 3 times - dealer charges $100 to change the bulbs. Car is still under factory warranty.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Feb 122009

Prius

In mid-February the driver's side hid (high intensity discharge) light bulb on my 2007 Prius began intermittently going out. It would be on when the car was started then after several minutes it would turn off. When the car was restarted the bulb would come back on, again for a certain number of minutes. Two days after replacing the bulb on March 2 the passenger side headlight began experiencing the same problem. This is a potentially serious safety issue as the headlights work fine when you first start up the car but go out while driving - which could suddenly leave you without headlights at highway speed. This car was bought in July of 2007, so is less than 2 years old. Warranty replacement was denied as the car has >36,000 miles. This appears to be a known and fairly common problem with the Prius: priuschat.com/forums/Prius-technical-discussion/26884-headlight-out.html.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jan 012009

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius with 45000 miles. Right headlight continues to go out. If I turn the lights off then back on it will work. The dealer wants $300 to replace the light.

- Shasta, CA, USA

Feb 282009

Prius

2007 Prius problems - headlights and tail lights unexpectedly and randomly shut off. I can get the tail lights to come back on by mildly smacking the side panel near the light. I've checked the bulb connections and they are clean and tight with no exposed or loose wires. The only way to get the headlights to come back on is to turn off the headlights and turn them back on. Toyota dealer says they can\'t repeat the problem. My wife and I are going to take video on the next occurrence. We have subsequently been paying attention to other Prius on the road. Quite a few are driving with one or both tail lights out! I also note that there are many complaints about this problem on-line. This is a safety defect. Toyota needs to take responsibility and stop messing around with owners!

- Martinez, CA, USA

Oct 152008

Prius

My front headlights go out intermittently. Not at the same time and not due to hitting a bump in the road. Rain, heat, cold do not seem to matter. This started, as far as I know, in October 2008. My car had 37,000 miles on it. Because a headlight was out, I received a fix it ticket, however, when I took it to get fixed, the headlight was working again. Since that time both headlights have gone out and back on a few times.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jan 032009

Prius

I own 2007 Toyota Prius. Headlights have started going out starting about 40K miles. Sometimes 1 lights, sometimes both. Dealer wants $300 per light plus labor to replace. Says not covered under extended warranty. Several web sites list same complaint from owners of 2006 & 2007 (in the hundreds if not more). Others state they've had lights replaced & issue continues. Have also read this is a computer chip issue that has been fixed in newer models but Toyota doesn't acknowledge. I drive very early in the morning & have a 2nd job doing deliveries in the evenings. Many times I'm driving & the lights will dim or 1 light will go out (random as to which light) or both lights will go out. This is very dangerous, especially roads without street lights. I now have a spot light in my car that's plugged in so I can get some lighting to get to the side of the road. Prius owners have found that turning the lights off & back on will sometimes get them to work again. With mine, sometimes they work again for a few minutes, sometimes longer. I never know when it's going to happen. I also live in md where by law we're required to have lights on in the rain. What recourse do we have as consumers to get Toyota to fix this issue on 2006/2007 Prius models? I don't have the funds to replace headlights at the cost by the dealer. I've tried to replace on my own following directions in the owner's manual, but you can't actually get to the lights without removing part of the car. I've never heard of a vehicle the owner's can't change the headlights themselves. I don't believe there have been deaths or damages yet. Yet! please help us.

- Mount Airy, MD, USA

Apr 102008

Prius

I have a 2007 Prius package 6 which has a faulty headlight. I have searched several forums, most notably (priuschat.com/forums/care-maintenance-troubleshooting/34584-headlight-problem-2.html) where there are over 100 entries of people having the same issue. Hid headlights failing for no apparent reason. Toyota says it is not covered under warranty which is absurd. I just got a traffic ticket because of this.

- Springfield, NJ, USA

Feb 162009

Prius

Right hid headlamp goes out while driving. Turning lights off then on brings it back for a short period of time. Last night, both lights went out on a dark mountain road in the rain. Toyota says "bulbs" are not covered. This seems to be an issue with the hid headlamps on the Prius and Toyota should be forced to repair them.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Feb 022009

Prius

Hid headlights go out for no apparent reason....sometime drives side, some time passenger side, sometimes both...if turned off then back on the light come back on........sometimes for long time sometimes for minutes then go through again...2007 Toyota pruis 45,000 miles...........very dangerous.

- Cohasset, MA, USA

Prius

2007 Prius headlights go on and off. Cost to replace is extremely expensive at $300 to $500 per hid bulb. Don't know when there on or off at 39,500 miles. Very labor intensive to get at bulbs, need to remove bumper. No diy options.

- New Lenox, IL, USA

Nov 012008

Prius

The hid headlights on my 2007 Prius are malfunctioning. The light on the driver's side will frequently go out, leaving me with one headlamp. If I cycle the headlights off and back on, the driver's headlight will come back on for a while, then repeat. This is true for both low and high beams - the light goes off altogether. I view this as a safety issue. This has been going on for months and still continues every time I drive with the lights on. My car has about 42,000 miles but is less than two years old. This appears to be a common problem with 2007 and 2006 Prius models with the hid headlights.

- Westminster, MD, USA

Prius

Hid headligh goes out intermittently beginning when car was new, but only a few times. Later, hid headlight begins to go out more frequently, but then resumes normal opperation later. Is a definate safety issue as drive may not always realize one headlight has gone out. Could cause accident.

- Camas, WA, USA

Prius

I have a 2007 toytoa Prius with hid head lights the passenger side goes out about every other day. When I turn the headlights off than on the light will come back on.

- Beloit, WI, USA

Jan 262009

Prius

Intermittent headlight operation. Low beam goes out, them come back on when lights are cycled on and off.

- Napa, CA, USA